PDA

View Full Version : The "Polamalu Effect"

caseydog
09-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Whenever a team has a killer running back on offense, it makes the whole offense better. The passing game benefits from the fact that the opposing defense has to ALWAYS keep that killer running back one their radar screen. Defensive coordinators will plan their games around that killer running back.

Likewise, I look at what the Steelers D does when Troy is in the game and playing well, and see a "Polamalo Effect" in play. Offensive coordinators and quarterbacks worry about him, making it easier for the other very fine Steelers defensive players to have great games.

The Steelers D has some great weapons, but those weapons seem to work better when Troy is in the game. It's one of those "psyche" things.

As an offense, you gotta wonder how to stop this guy from leaping over the line and taking your quarterback down one second after the snap, like what happened today. That has to effect your focus, making it easier for Harrison or Woodley to eat your lunch.

Anyone else see a "Polamalu Effect?"

zulater
09-19-2010, 06:30 PM
He's the best defensive player in the game today, maybe ever.

StainlessStill
09-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Steelers: 18-3 when Polly gets a pick. Puts things into perspective. Troy, 2 picks in as many games. He's well on his well for defensive player of the year thus far. The dude is a freak and possibly Kryptonian. The best I've ever watched by far.

jjpro11
09-19-2010, 06:49 PM
i don't think a better safety has ever played. there are some old-timers, and Ravens fans will always say Ed Reed.. but Reed has missed plenty of time over the past couple years and the Ravens really haven't missed a beat. our D goes from weak without Troy to historically dominant with him. i've never seen a player, outside of a QB, make that big of a difference to a team.

NYC_Steeler
09-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Hand-down the best defensive player in the NFL - PERIOD. There's no other player in the NFL that strikes fear in the hearts of opposing Offensive Coordinators and Quarterbacks.

zulater
09-19-2010, 06:54 PM
i don't think a better safety has ever played. there are some old-timers, and Ravens fans will always say Ed Reed.. but Reed has missed plenty of time over the past couple years and the Ravens really haven't missed a beat. our D goes from weak without Troy to historically dominant with him. i've never seen a player, outside of a QB, make that big of a difference to a team.

Reed isn't near the player that troy is against the run. Never was, never will be.

jjpro11
09-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Reed isn't near the player that troy is against the run. Never was, never will be.

i know. Troy is the best safety ever imo. people don't always like comparing strong safety vs free safety, but when you're talking about who has a bigger impact on games.. it's Polamalu, whether you include free safeties or not.

hammy36
09-19-2010, 07:23 PM
His intelligence on the football field is astounding. Combine that with his athletic ability and boom (as Madden would say), you have the best strong safety in the league...maybe ever! Love watching me some Polamalu! Hats off to the D today! And...to the special teams. That return to start the game gave us the momentum and took their crowd out of it from the start. Probably a different game without that. 2-0 without Ben, baby!! Woot woot!

zulater
09-19-2010, 07:37 PM
I thought Troy had a sack today, but according to the official stats he didn't have any?:hunch:

Fire Arians
09-19-2010, 07:39 PM
I thought Troy had a sack today, but according to the official stats he didn't have any?:hunch:

wasn't a sack because it was a rushing attempt by collins

lionslicer
09-19-2010, 07:43 PM

The first time Troy got a "sack" It should have been a sack, even though the centered fumbled the ball into the backfield, if the quarterback is the first to pick it up, he can pass the ball, so when Troy knocked him down, it should have been recorded as a sack. The next sack was just a rushing attemped by collins.

stb_steeler
09-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Hand-down the best defensive player in the NFL - PERIOD. There's no other player in the NFL that strikes fear in the hearts of opposing Offensive Coordinators and Quarterbacks.

Absolutely.........:applaudit:

zulater
09-19-2010, 07:52 PM
The first time Troy got a "sack" It should have been a sack, even though the centered fumbled the ball into the backfield, if the quarterback is the first to pick it up, he can pass the ball, so when Troy knocked him down, it should have been recorded as a sack. The next sack was just a rushing attemped by collins.

Yeah that's the one I was talking about. I've got to think they'll change the ruling on that later in the week.

caseydog
09-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Yeah, he's great on his own. But, what about the "Polumalu Effect." Does he make the whole defense better just by being on the field? Do offenses fear him so much that the rest of the Steelers defense can beat up on them at will?

The Steelers have so many defensive weapons, and a great defensive coordinator. But, it just seems like the whole Steelers defense gets better results when Troy is on the field and playing healthy.

There just seems to be a BIG psychological advantage when Troy is on the field kicking ass. A good day for Troy breeds a good day for Harrison, Woodley, and all the other good players on the Steelers D.

I think back to my childhood days, and the effect that Jack Lambeert had just by being on the field, with that missing tooth snarl. He made quarterbacks afraid, and it effected the whole offense. I think Troy has that same effect -- with long hair and a smile.

MasterOfPuppets
09-19-2010, 09:12 PM
what about the muffed snap ? troy got to it first...:noidea:

lionslicer
09-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Yeah that's the one I was talking about. I've got to think they'll change the ruling on that later in the week.

Doubt it, NFL stat recorders are rarely doubted, plus many of them make this mistake. But we'll know it was a true sack :D

MikeHaullace
09-19-2010, 09:35 PM
The Polamalu Effect will be noticed most after he retires.

LVSteelersfan
09-19-2010, 09:46 PM
No doubt Troy is the best ever. But he is wreckless at times. That dive over the line could be dangerous although it was a great play. You have to live with injuries from a player who throws his whole body into a game like that. I hope he stays healthy this year. Reed just reaps the benefits from his front seven causing the opposing QB to throw ducks out there that a high school kid could pick off. He is a great returner when he picks off one of his ducks but Troy can do the same thing. Reed is no way in the same league as Troy who baits the QB into throwing the ball right to him.

lionslicer
09-19-2010, 09:55 PM
No doubt Troy is the best ever. But he is wreckless at times. That dive over the line could be dangerous although it was a great play. You have to live with injuries from a player who throws his whole body into a game like that. I hope he stays healthy this year. Reed just reaps the benefits from his front seven causing the opposing QB to throw ducks out there that a high school kid could pick off. He is a great returner when he picks off one of his ducks but Troy can do the same thing. Reed is no way in the same league as Troy who baits the QB into throwing the ball right to him.

That leap of faith over the line was insane. Troy is wreckless, and he misses tackles a lot because of it, and in interviews admits he's a terrible tackler and he still has to work on it. He also jumps routes too early sometimes and misses the interception or pass deflection completely. But I guess thats the price you pay for a big play later in the game. Barry Sanders averaged 20-25 lost yards every game. Favre averages an interception a game.

zulater
09-20-2010, 06:33 AM
]It looked as if Young didn't see Polamalu when he threw him an interception in the end zone on a first-and-10 play from the Steelers' 16 late in the first quarter. That play -- Polamalu's second interception in two games -- might have been the biggest defensive play of the game because the Steelers led just 7-3 at the time. It appeared as if Young didn't see linebacker LaMarr Woodley on another interception in the second quarter. Then, late in the third quarter, on the final play before he was benched, Young didn't seem to feel linebacker James Harrison coming on the rush and fumbled when he was hit

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10263/1088854-66.stm#ixzz1041bM2eX