PDA

View Full Version : Just how good is our defense ?

joeyssteelcurtain
09-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Well week 1 the titans scored 38 points and 345 yards in total offense in week 2 against us 11 points and 238 yards in total offense

And the Falcons in week 1 against us they had 9 points and 354 yards in offense and week 2 they had 41 points and 444 yards in offense

Wow our defense is crazy crazy great go steelers:tt02::tt02::tt02:

StainlessStill
09-19-2010, 06:40 PM
We are just a total nightmare. If we keep this up, this WILL surpass the 2008 defensive totals. We are that nasty. Beautiful, f_ckin beautiful today.

joeyssteelcurtain
09-19-2010, 06:45 PM
We are just a total nightmare. If we keep this up, this WILL surpass the 2008 defensive totals. We are that nasty. Beautiful, f_ckin beautiful today.

Yea i think we our better then the 2008 year

NYC_Steeler
09-19-2010, 06:45 PM
We have to clamp down on the yardage we're giving up. Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden need to turn their heads to locate the ball - once they do that, the D will be even better.

jjpro11
09-19-2010, 06:51 PM
i've been telling people all offseason we will dominate on D again and surprise the league.. the D is healthy again (Smith and Polamalu) and we have all of the same players from the 2008 defense (Bmac and Foote). they've aged a couple years, but to offset that, Timmons has become a force.

Fire Arians
09-19-2010, 06:55 PM

yep. timmons is a huge upgrade from larry slow-a-foote

LVSteelersfan
09-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Freakin beautiful. Once we get Ben back and can get some points on the board, this team could be unstoppable. Timmons is a monster and was the main reason Johnson had such a crappy day. Slow of Foote would have let Chris Johnson have a field day on us. Thank heavens for that holding call on that one long run that Johnson had.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Good enough to get wins with a really poor offensive effort. Take the wins and hope to be 3-1 when Ben gets back.

MikeHaullace
09-19-2010, 09:23 PM
We have to clamp down on the yardage we're giving up. Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden need to turn their heads to locate the ball - once they do that, the D will be even better.

This is a true statement and I fully endorse it.

scsteeler
09-19-2010, 11:32 PM

The Defense has been lights out to play as hard as they did bringing pressure the entire game and being on the field as long as they did. They were great. Ike and Bmac are playing great yes they could improve but they only started giving up some plays late in the game when they were really tired for playing their hearts out.

stb_steeler
09-19-2010, 11:40 PM
The D did great today, awesome!....consider it being 90+ and dehydration setting in. Alot had to do with that last score the Titans got. Our offense needs to be out there more to allow the D a bit more rest.:noidea:

joeyssteelcurtain
09-20-2010, 07:13 AM
The D did great today, awesome!....consider it being 90+ and dehydration setting in. Alot had to do with that last score the Titans got. Our offense needs to be out there more to allow the D a bit more rest.:noidea:

Well i live in Tampa and its just as hot if not hotter down here so they better find a way to play in the heat

CargoJon
09-20-2010, 10:42 AM
If this defense keeps this up, and we get back any kind of "normal" Ben production come his return, this team is going to be very tough to beat and a favorite for a trip to Dallas this February. I hate to say that after 2 weeks, but dayum, they have look good against two teams who have shown they can put points on the board.

Steeldude
09-20-2010, 11:06 AM
playing against a team with a WR as the QB is not a good test.

the 1st game of the season is never a true test either. many teams start slow. i'll wait to see what they do against a good offense. next week won't be a good measuring stick.

MassSteeler
09-20-2010, 11:26 AM

the 1st game of the season is never a true test either. many teams start slow. i'll wait to see what they do against a good offense. next week won't be a good measuring stick.

I'd say playing a team like Atlanta, which has a good QB, very good RB, one of the best receivers in the NFL, and a hall of fame TE and holding them to 9 points is a pretty good test. Especially when that team scores 41 the next game.

As for the Titans, not the greatest passing team in the world but they do have the best RB in the league that had 12 straight 100 yard games and the Steelers held him to under 50 yards. 7 defensive takeaways is also a RIDICULOUS number.

Let's hope the D continues to play at such a high level. Heck, even a level or two below what they've been playing for the rest of the year would be great.

kiuaswarrior
09-20-2010, 11:29 AM

I dont understand this statement.

tunes4life
09-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Is it not fun as hell to watch Polamalu flying around again? On the play at the end of the game, he was in the air when the ball was being snapped. Just f'ing amazing what kind of instincts this guy has. :tt04:

SteelCityMom
09-20-2010, 11:36 AM

Young is a decent QB. I don't know why no one gives him the time of day. Had he been put in a game or two earlier last year, he probably could have taken the Titans to the playoffs.

Give this team some credit sometime...it'll feel good lol.

The defense played EXTREMELY well (until they decided to go into prevent D for 2 minutes), and they won that game for us. I don't care if it was against the Rams, you gotta give credit where credit is due when a defense is able to create 7 turnovers and completely dominate a game like that.

Fire Arians
09-20-2010, 11:44 AM
i have a feeling this level of defensive play is because of timmons' emergence, i haven't seen our defense look this fierce before

StainlessStill
09-20-2010, 12:18 PM
i have a feeling this level of defensive play is because of timmons' emergence, i haven't seen our defense look this fierce before

Agreed. To me, other than Troy, Timmons is by far the most entertaining player to watch. His closing speed is just tremendous and his wing span is like a hawk. People forget that last year was his first year starting and he was still learning. This season he bulked up an extra 15 pounds of muscle and has stepped into the role as our most versatile linebacker by far. The dude is all over the place and pancaking people, something he didn't do last year, esp in run defense.

Timmons is special.

Extra thought: Timmons, Farrior, Woodley, Harrison. Is there ANY better in the league? Scariest group in the NFL.

steeltheone
09-20-2010, 12:26 PM
As impressed as i am with our D...I think we need to wait and see what we have a little later in the season. You really don't know much after 2 games. I must say it's looking very good so far!

StillerzFreak
09-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Agreed. To me, other than Troy, Timmons is by far the most entertaining player to watch. His closing speed is just tremendous and his wing span is like a hawk. People forget that last year was his first year starting and he was still learning. This season he bulked up an extra 15 pounds of muscle and has stepped into the role as our most versatile linebacker by far. The dude is all over the place and pancaking people, something he didn't do last year, esp in run defense.

Timmons is special.

Extra thought: Timmons, Farrior, Woodley, Harrison. Is there ANY better in the league? Scariest group in the NFL.

:thumbsup:

Has to be the best linebacking core in the league.

VolatileMan
09-20-2010, 01:21 PM
:thumbsup:

Has to be the best linebacking core in the league.

I know that IF is the biggest word in the dictionary, but what IF we still had Porter and was using Farrier as a backup?

Harrison,Porter,Woodly, and Timmons
HOLY S H I T

CargoJon
09-20-2010, 02:51 PM
I know that IF is the biggest word in the dictionary, but what IF we still had Porter and was using Farrier as a backup?

HOLY S H I T

We'd have 1 OLB playing out of position as an ILB.....

Steelerfreak58
09-20-2010, 03:14 PM
The D is playing out of its mind. It has to because the offense is simply pathetic at this point.

7 Turn overs and the O didn't put the game away...

RUN
RUN
PASS
PUNT

SteelMember
09-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Good enough to beat two teams who were favored to beat us.

We just need to stay healthy.

steeltheone
09-20-2010, 04:25 PM

HOLY S H I T

Maybe Porter of 2005

Steeldude
09-21-2010, 10:46 AM
I dont understand this statement.

young is not a QB aka kordell

Lex Yinzer
09-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Well i live in Tampa and its just as hot if not hotter down here so they better find a way to play in the heat

I'm glad someone brought this up; the forecast for Sunday calls for 89 degrees. Depending on the heat index and if the thunderstorms hold off until late afternoon, and if the Bucs bring their A game, this could easily turn into a repeat of Week 2, especially if Batch has to deal with Hills and Scott missing every other blocking assignment.