09-19-2010, 08:45 PM
That is all.

Fire Arians
09-19-2010, 08:53 PM
agreed

MikeHaullace
09-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Here's an honest question for all of you Steelers fans out there:

How many times did the words "run, run, pass" come out of your mouth today?

I know I said it at least a dozen times in disgusted frustration. :banging:

tony hipchest
09-19-2010, 09:40 PM
arians called a good game today and didnt lose it for us. if batch were to get hurt and el go in at qb, im sure some fans would still be irked we didnt pass enough.

lionslicer
09-19-2010, 09:42 PM
arians called a good game today and didnt lose it for us. if batch were to get hurt and el go in at qb, im sure some fans would still be irked we didnt pass enough.

There's no winning for this arguement.

fer522
09-19-2010, 09:44 PM

agree with you 100%

stb_steeler
09-19-2010, 09:51 PM
He quoted : he wanted to play the game reserved. He knew he was down 2 QB's. As he suspected DD got hurt and thats what he wanted to avoid.

FireMedic24
09-19-2010, 09:58 PM
WHY? WERE YOU SAYING THE SAME THING WHEN WE WON THE SUPER BOWL, NO MATTER WHAT SOME PEOPLE ARE NEVER HAPPY, WHEN BEN COMES BACK ARIANS WILL START CALLING MORE PASS PLAYS AND THEN WHEN THE INTS COME THE SAME PEOPLE ARE GOING TO COMPLAIN WHY ISNT BA RUNNING MENDENHALL MORE. JUST BE HAPPY WITH THE WIN, EVERYBODY KNEW THESE 1ST 4 GAMES WERE GOING TO BE TOUGH AND 2-0 IS WAY BETTER THAN ANY ANALYSTS HAD US PEGGED FOR. GO STEELERS AND BRING ON THE BUCS.
GO STEELERS

cubanstogie
09-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Arians has had 2 good games so far. It wasn't pretty but the fact that special teams and turnovers gave us a 2 score lead early all he had to do IMO was not to lose it. I don't know what some of you would have l liked to see. Dixon had a nice gain with his legs, Batch made some decent throws that could have been TD's but called back and one dropped. We were never in a postion to lose game and I didn't see any risks taken so why does he get blame. Our O line had a tough day not Arians.

MikeHaullace
09-19-2010, 10:05 PM
i guess the point i was trying to make is...

i am trying to understand why there was little-to-no attempt for something like, play action on second down.

perhaps it is understood by the staff that they are going to be heavily reliant on the defense while ben is out and thus, running a completely vanilla, predictable offense to chew clock and secure possession. don't get me wrong. i'm completely cool with that in any victory. who wouldn't be?

all variables considered, i am pleased with the result but feel that there is room for arians to throw in occasional off-down shots. i.e. - throwing on first down, etc. perhaps it had a lot to do with the pass protection issues we have. i don't know. a little more aggressiveness couldn't hurt, could it?

at the end of the day, i am completely satisfied with 2 wins in the first 4 games and can only hope that this team stays healthy.

iiiiiiiiiiiii've got a feeeeelin'... :tt03:

LVSteelersfan
09-19-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm with you all the way on this one. What is wrong with a play action pass to Mike Wallace streaking down the field on first down when the other team stacks the box against the run? That is all I ask for. Not to throw on every down but mix it up and quit being so damn predictable especially in the red zone. We should have won by at least three scores and they had a shot to tie it up at the end. That is what drives me nuts and it is all on the offensive play calling and stupid field goals. ARIANS, MIX IT UP A LITTLE PLEASE and I will be happy with you.

i am trying to understand why there was little-to-no attempt for something like, play action on second down.

perhaps it is understood by the staff that they are going to be heavily reliant on the defense while ben is out and thus, running a completely vanilla, predictable offense to chew clock and secure possession. don't get me wrong. i'm completely cool with that in any victory. who wouldn't be?

all variables considered, i am pleased with the result but feel that there is room for arians to throw in occasional off-down shots. i.e. - throwing on first down, etc. perhaps it had a lot to do with the pass protection issues we have. i don't know. a little more aggressiveness couldn't hurt, could it?

at the end of the day, i am completely satisfied with 2 wins in the first 4 games and can only hope that this team stays healthy.

cubanstogie
09-19-2010, 10:11 PM

I saw play action pass a couple of times and Dixon had no one to throw to. I don't remember any with Batch. I really think the only thing that could have given Titans any hope was a Steelers turnover. And BA didn't putt the back up QB's in position to do that. He played the hand he was dealt. I don't care about pretty wins as long as its a win. Dixon will only get better so hopefully the offense can open up if needed.

lionslicer
09-19-2010, 10:12 PM

No play action because the line wasn't playing well at all, though there wasn't many sacks, but because there was no play-action, it allowed both Dixon and Batch to keep their eyes in front of them and get out of the way. Many sacks come from play action and when the quarterback turns their head around, there's a player already in their face. This is the logic I'm sure was going through Arians head during the game.

Hi5Steeler
09-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Ok so winning a football game is stupid and you should be fired for it.... good to know.

Lets play the first two games OVER again with a new coordinator.

how many of those games do you think we win?????

LVSteelersfan
09-19-2010, 10:15 PM
I will give you that but they need to try it once in awhile just to keep the other defense honest. They just stack the box and shut us down for three and out way too often. We were definitely in dire straights with Scott in there in place of Starks and then Essex went down. Our Oline is getting pounded this year.

No play action because the line wasn't playing well at all, though there wasn't many sacks, but because there was no play-action, it allowed both Dixon and Batch to keep their eyes in front of them and get out of the way. Many sacks come from play action and when the quarterback turns their head around, there's a player already in their face. This is the logic I'm sure was going through Arians head during the game.

MikeHaullace
09-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Ok so winning a football game is stupid and you should be fired for it.... good to know.

Lets play the first two games OVER again with a new coordinator.

how many of those games do you think we win?????

no..

it was more of an implication for my contempt towards the predictability of play sequence than an honest "FIRE HIM OMG RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE" witch-hunt post.

arians claims to like the deep ball. let's see it. once or twice a game. is that too much to ask? 3rd string QB or not. try to over-throw Wallace and see what happens.

side note : I'd be willing to bet DD has a better in-game deep ball than Ben. thoughts?

lionslicer
09-19-2010, 11:14 PM
no..

it was more of an implication for my contempt towards the predictability of play sequence than an honest "FIRE HIM OMG RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE" witch-hunt post.

arians claims to like the deep ball. let's see it. once or twice a game. is that too much to ask? 3rd string QB or not. try to over-throw Wallace and see what happens.

side note : I'd be willing to bet DD has a better in-game deep ball than Ben. thoughts?

Dixon has thrown some deep balls last week, I saw him attempt to today but he was sacked. So there atleast once in each game, your point is null and void.
I'm sure winning being predictable is better than throwing 4 a interceptions like Flacco... :noidea:

Fire Arians
09-19-2010, 11:15 PM

with how our defense played, a 2 year old could have called the game and still won. 7 turnovers and you aint gonna beat anybody

lionslicer
09-19-2010, 11:21 PM
with how our defense played, a 2 year old could have called the game and still won. 7 turnovers and you aint gonna beat anybody

No... Thats extremely ignorant to say... Trust me there have been offenses that have gotten many turnovers from the defense and still threw the game away. If it was the offensive coordinators fault is hard to tell because you would need to know that coordinators history, who the players were, etc. Would take forever to investigate, but I can assure atleast one game a year is thrown away by the offense.

MikeHaullace
09-19-2010, 11:22 PM
I saw him attempt to today but he was sacked. So there atleast once in each game, your point is null and void.

this could very well be the case, but i certainly didn't see it. considering i choose to watch games at a sports bar, i happen to not see every. single. play. goes with the territory.

that said, lionslicer, i designate you to do two things :

break down two aspects of the game :

how many play action deep balls were attempted

how many consecutive drives started, went run, run, pass, and ended with a punt

therein lies my point.

drizze99
09-19-2010, 11:26 PM
WHY? WERE YOU SAYING THE SAME THING WHEN WE WON THE SUPER BOWL, NO MATTER WHAT SOME PEOPLE ARE NEVER HAPPY, WHEN BEN COMES BACK ARIANS WILL START CALLING MORE PASS PLAYS AND THEN WHEN THE INTS COME THE SAME PEOPLE ARE GOING TO COMPLAIN WHY ISNT BA RUNNING MENDENHALL MORE. JUST BE HAPPY WITH THE WIN, EVERYBODY KNEW THESE 1ST 4 GAMES WERE GOING TO BE TOUGH AND 2-0 IS WAY BETTER THAN ANY ANALYSTS HAD US PEGGED FOR. GO STEELERS AND BRING ON THE BUCS.
GO STEELERS

I have been saying "Fire Arians" since he was promoted to OC. HE SUCKS... plain and simple. His vanilla play calling for 2 games so far this season have been horrid. The ONLY reason why we are 2-0 is because of LeBeau's defense. The Arians led offense hasn't done sh... all season so far. I am already tired of this conservative garbage. It certainly didn't take a genius DC to stop the Steelers today... Run, Run, Pass.. Run, Run, Pass.... all game long. Gee Arians, maybe you might wanna mix it up a little bit?

lionslicer
09-19-2010, 11:34 PM
this could very well be the case, but i certainly didn't see it. considering i choose to watch games at a sports bar, i happen to not see every. single. play. goes with the territory.

that said, lionslicer, i designate you to do two things :

break down two aspects of the game :

how many play action deep balls were attempted

how many consecutive drives started, went run, run, pass, and ended with a punt

therein lies my point.

First offensive drive was Pass run Pass.

2nd was Run, pass, pass

3rd was run, run, pass, run, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, field goal

4th pass, pass, pass

5th pass, run, run, pass, run, pass

6th pass, run, pass

and so on, I couldn't tell you what was play action and not, but like I said earlier, that would be hard to do because of how bad the line was playing.
Nothing was working. You can't call a game like you normally would when nothing is working. Be happy he wasn't calling pass plays to the middle of the field or long balls, you would have seen a couple interceptions and probably a loss today.

steelers2685
09-19-2010, 11:47 PM
I agree, fire him.

lionslicer
09-19-2010, 11:53 PM
I agree, fire him.

You know who people consider to be better? The guy for the Ravens... He's given Flacco a lot more pass plays, whats that equal? 5 interceptions in 2 games and almost 100 attempts. If you say Flacco is worse than Dixon or Batch you deserved to be slapped in the face. He's a tad better, but he isn't good, but when he's trusted to throw the ball, they play terrible. When he wasn't trusted to throw the ball in his rookie year, and the play calls were similar to how Arians is calling games, they got to the AFC championship game. Use some facts to support your answers or shut up.

steelers2685
09-19-2010, 11:57 PM
You know who people consider to be better? The guy for the Ravens... He's given Flacco a lot more pass plays, whats that equal? 5 interceptions in 2 games and almost 100 attempts. If you say Flacco is worse than Dixon or Batch you deserved to be slapped in the face. He's a tad better, but he isn't good, but when he's trusted to throw the ball, they play terrible. When he wasn't trusted to throw the ball in his rookie year, and the play calls were similar to how Arians is calling games, they got to the AFC championship game. Use some facts to support your answers or shut up.

First off, if you like him so much, get a pic. of him set as your avatar. :hatsoff:

Actually Chief, I was stating my opinion, and your 'slapped in the face' and "support or shut up' responses make you look childish. I don't need to give a detailed rundown list of why I think he should be fired. It's the internet and called opinion. I do not like how the Steelers offensive talents are utilized. I don't know where I led to the assumption that needed mentioning of Flacco??? so maybe you should go after whoever did, for I never said anything about the Ravens' OC being better? :thumbsup: As the OP stated, though, "That is all" I have to respond to you.

MikeHaullace
09-19-2010, 11:57 PM
First offensive drive was Pass run Pass.

2nd was Run, pass, pass

3rd was run, run, pass, run, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, field goal

4th pass, pass, pass

5th pass, run, run, pass, run, pass

6th pass, run, pass

and so on, I couldn't tell you what was play action and not, but like I said earlier, that would be hard to do because of how bad the line was playing.
Nothing was working. You can't call a game like you normally would when nothing is working. Be happy he wasn't calling pass plays to the middle of the field or long balls, you would have seen a couple interceptions and probably a loss today.

I appreciate your efforts and sound logic.

that said, i will certainly pin-point my observations of the redundant 3-and-outs to the latter part of the game. there's a new thread opened up titled "Finish the Game". my gripe is along those lines.

cubanstogie
09-20-2010, 12:00 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't know calling Run Run Pass every drive and not having trust in the QB's you had on the field to throw the ball past the line of scrimmage was considered calling a good game.

I agree, fire him. Today was a repeat play calling debacle just like last year. He sucks.

Were you calling for the Steelers to run more last year? It seems to me most Arians dislikers don't remember which ones , wanted us to run more last year. They stated we gave up on it too early and went to passing. They wanted to get back to Steelers football. Now it appears the anti Arians people are upset because we tried to run and couldn't. You can't have it both ways. I could be wrong but if we went run, pass, pass, people would be saying we gave up on run again. Our beat up, inconsistent offensive line is a huge problem. No play calling is going to be consistent with it. I saw a stat today as everyone did we led the league in big plays. We depended on them because we couldn't sustain drives. I believe it was from o line. Arians is playing the hand he is dealt. Now we have less weapons due to loss of Holmes. We are relying on an aging receiver and a 2nd year receiver with 3rd and 4th string QB's. Hardly a good hand to play if you are a OC.

lionslicer
09-20-2010, 12:02 AM
First off, if you like him so much, get a pic. of him set as your avatar. :hatsoff:

Actually Chief, I was stating my opinion, and your 'slapped in the face' and "support or shut up' responses make you look childish. I don't need to give a detailed rundown list of why I think he should be fired. It's the internet and called opinion. I do not like how the Steelers offensive talents are utilized. I don't know where I led to the assumption that needed mentioning of Flacco??? so maybe you should go after whoever did, for I never said anything about the Ravens' OC being better? :thumbsup: As the OP stated, though, "That is all" I have to respond to you.

Actually I hate Arians... I don't support my opinions, I'm just supplying facts and consistancy to the arguement.

steelers2685
09-20-2010, 12:06 AM
Were you calling for the Steelers to run more last year? It seems to me most Arians dislikers don't remember which ones , wanted us to run more last year. They stated we gave up on it too early and went to passing. They wanted to get back to Steelers football. Now it appears the anti Arians people are upset because we tried to run and couldn't. You can't have it both ways. I could be wrong but if we went run, pass, pass, people would be saying we gave up on run again. Our beat up, inconsistent offensive line is a huge problem. No play calling is going to be consistent with it. I saw a stat today as everyone did we led the league in big plays. We depended on them because we couldn't sustain drives. I believe it was from o line. Arians is playing the hand he is dealt. Now we have less weapons due to loss of Holmes. We are relying on an aging receiver and a 2nd year receiver with 3rd and 4th string QB's. Hardly a good hand to play if you are a OC.

I feel the same way I did last year, a lot of run run pass when he is in situation where he doesn't have enough trust in his QB's to throw. We have plenty of weapons, such as Wallace and Brown (whose name you didn't hear again after the first play). No trickery involved either other than that kickoff. I miss Mularkey.

I know for a fact I counted two or three series in a row when Batch was in that went Run Run Pass... I wasn't sitting there with a tablet or anything, but I know that's how it went, and evidently, his play calling MUST come into question considering we have 7 turnovers and only 19 points???

Actually I hate Arians... I don't support my opinions, I'm just supplying facts and consistancy to the arguement.

I gotcha my man, no hard feelings haha :tt03:

cubanstogie
09-20-2010, 12:16 AM
[QUOTE=steelers2685;846043]I feel the same way I did last year, a lot of run run pass when he is in situation where he doesn't have enough trust in his QB's to throw. We have plenty of weapons, such as Wallace and Brown (whose name you didn't hear again after the first play). No trickery involved either other than that kickoff. I miss Mularkey.

After watching Dixon pass last week I didn't have a lot of trust in his throws myself. On the play he hurt his knee I was actually hoping he didn't pass and would just get us in better FG range. Unfortunately he was injured but it was a good conservative play the way our D was playing. Its not like I think BA is a great OC , the verdict is still out for me. I do know Ben has seemed to shine with him though. My biggest problem with offense last year was 3rd or 4th and a yard. It seemed we never converted. Run or pass, we tried everything. I can't blame Arians when neither worked. Execution was the problem IMO.

mikegrimey
09-20-2010, 12:36 AM
By the 3rd Quarter it was pretty clear that the O was going to play it safe so long as our D kept wrecking all that havoc. Plus with our offensive line rotating the way it was I'm not sure it would have been all that wise to run more aggressive plays.

What's funny is one of the commentators said we could ill afford to lose Essex, when he went down with dehydration or something, I was kind of thinking "who cares get the next scrub in".