PDA

View Full Version : Finish Out The Game...!

steelers2685
09-19-2010, 11:52 PM
One thing I cannot tolerate with Steelers football is how, when they do have a lead, they start playing soft. As is the case with today's win, I feel they do not play 60 minute football defensively like the Colts do for example. Our 'D' had their QB's so out of character that this style of pressure should've been kept up until the clock ticked to :00. Allowing them a cheap touchdown and padding Kerry Collins' stats was ridiculous. I understand the hot temperatures, but we almost gave it away. Anyone else feel this way?

tony hipchest
09-19-2010, 11:54 PM
"colts"

:rofl:

MikeHaullace
09-19-2010, 11:54 PM
This game, no.

Historically, yes.

This game, the moment I saw Kerry Collins warming up, I went 'uh-oh. it's gonna be close.'

lionslicer
09-19-2010, 11:55 PM
One thing I cannot tolerate with Steelers football is how, when they do have a lead, they start playing soft. As is the case with today's win, I feel they do not play 60 minute football defensively like the Colts do for example. Our 'D' had their QB's so out of character that this style of pressure should've been kept up until the clock ticked to :00. Allowing them a cheap touchdown and padding Kerry Collins' stats was ridiculous. I understand the hot temperatures, but we almost gave it away. Anyone else feel this way?

Technically if I say yes, then I'm against Lebeau and I'll get attacked and someone will blame Arians and people will argue.

MikeHaullace
09-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Technically if I say yes, then I'm against Lebeau and I'll get attacked and someone will blame Arians and people will argue.

Seems to be a common thing, huh?

steelers2685
09-20-2010, 12:02 AM
"colts"

Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis go after the Q and to strip fumbles until the end, not just standing the O-Line up and allowing passes to go downfield? lol... I didn't say Rams did I?

Yes it was prevent football at its finest, but to let them drive down the field so easy? We had 7 turnovers already, meaning we had an upper hand and instead of going for a knockout punch we let 'em get back up and take another swing? I don't get it. They stomped our towel, there should be no remorse lol...

MasterOfPuppets
09-20-2010, 12:03 AM
This game, no.

Historically, yes.

This game, the moment I saw Kerry Collins warming up, I went 'uh-oh. it's gonna be close.'
really ? the game i was watching, they were up 19 - 3 with just a few minutes to go in the game .... so if they didn't let up, why did it come down to the very last play ?
i can't for the life of me figure out why coaches resort to the "prevent" D..... time and time again its proven to be a flawed concept. all mcfadden had to do was get called for interference and we could very well be trying to figure out how they lost in OT, instead of celebrating a win.

tony hipchest
09-20-2010, 12:05 AM

the force is strong with this young jedi....

lionslicer
09-20-2010, 12:05 AM

Seems to be a common thing, huh?

Anyone who wants an answer to something will get facts from somewhere to make their point. I could find reasons why Arians is amazing and why he sucks, but if you don't like him, the reasons why he sucks will stand out, if you like him you'll only see reasons why he's amazing. And if you're in the middle you'll see both and compromise.

MikeHaullace
09-20-2010, 12:24 AM
really ? the game i was watching, they were up 19 - 3 with just a few minutes to go in the game .... so if they didn't let up, why did it come down to the very last play ?
i can't for the life of me figure out why coaches resort to the "prevent" D..... time and time again its proven to be a flawed concept. all mcfadden had to do was get called for interference and we could very well be trying to figure out how they lost in OT, instead of celebrating a win.

i actually scolded a fellow brother-n-nation for saying 'this game is wrapped up' when it was 19-3.

come on. we both know the prevent d is to keep everything in front and in bounds to wind the clock.

it seemed like a logically safe decision from a coaching standpoint as there were what? 2-3 minutes left in the game and, the Oilers had to get down field, AND score a TD AND get the 2 pt. conv, AND recover the onside kick, AND drive again, AND score another TD, AND convert another 2pt conv, JUST to TIE. So yes, from a coaching perspective, it makes sense. A lot to do in a little amount of time against a D that can tackle in the open field. I think that also, chance of injury would in turn decline. i dunno though. i never studied statistics.

from a fan's perspective, i want to see a dominating D dominate until the whistle blows and the other team's offense is begging for mercy.

it's a good thing mcfadden didn't get called for interference. in fact, he didn't get called because he made a great defensive play with clark's assistance and bing... loss of down. so keep celebrating. :wink02: i know i will. :tt03:

pancake
09-20-2010, 12:27 AM
We got the win and that is all that matters...:tt04:

MasterOfPuppets
09-20-2010, 12:28 AM
i actually scolded a fellow brother-n-nation for saying 'this game is wrapped up' when it was 19-3.

come on. we both know the prevent d is to keep everything in front and in bounds to wind the clock.

it seemed like a logically safe decision from a coaching standpoint as there were what? 2-3 minutes left in the game and, the Oilers had to get down field, AND score a TD AND get the 2 pt. conv, AND recover the onside kick, AND drive again, AND score another TD, AND convert another 2pt conv, JUST to TIE. So yes, from a coaching perspective, it makes sense. A lot to do in a little amount of time against a D that can tackle in the open field. I think that also, chance of injury would in turn decline. i dunno though. i never studied statistics.

from a fan's perspective, i want to see a dominating D dominate until the whistle blows and the other team's offense is begging for mercy.

it's a good thing mcfadden didn't get called for interference. in fact, he didn't get called because he made a great defensive play with clark's assistance and bing... loss of down. so keep celebrating. :wink02: i know i will. :tt03:
you know what else winds the clock down ? sacks , turnovers ,and getting the ball back to your O.

MikeHaullace
09-20-2010, 12:54 AM
you know what else winds the clock down ? sacks , turnovers ,and getting the ball back to your O.

you're absolutely right.

though, the effort it takes to cause such disruption could prove costly on the injury side of things.

don't get me wrong. i want to see the sacks, turnovers, and getting the ball back to the O every single defensive snap.

CaliStillersFan
09-20-2010, 12:58 AM
I agree, I cringe when I see them take the heat off and fall back into a prevent defense in 4th quarters. That crap bit us in rear end quite a few times last season. Once Ben gets back this won't be a problem, because he would have had the last 2 games closed out much earlier.

ZoneBlitzer
09-20-2010, 01:19 AM

Dude, I hear ya.

But it was the offense and their total ineptitude to move the ball ALL GAME LONG that created the game ending situation.

The offense was given prime real estate ON A SILVER PLATTER several times throughout the game and came away with a paltry amount of points.

The D's effort was absolutely heroic and I am surprised they lasted that long.

The game today in the NFL actually favors the offense. Defenses are at a disadvantage right off the hop. The fact that the Steelers kept them out for as long as they did was going way above the call of duty for me.

Sure I was gutted to see that TD surrendered and I do understand about the killer instinct but right now this team is winning with one arm and two legs tied behind its back and that is a bloody miracle and awesome to watch. It can't last....but is awesome to watch.

colescott1
09-20-2010, 07:22 AM
I'm definately a "dance with the one who brought ya" sorta guy. Play how you play for 60 minutes. Why give them any chance to relax? Playing the way you started yielded 7 turnovers and 3 points in 55 minutes. By those odds, continuing that style yields almost a 0 chance of late game charge.

zulater
09-20-2010, 01:42 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2010/images/09/20/troy-polamalu.jpg

I still say that play was a sack! OK let's say troy isn't blitzing, how the hell can the league say that Collins doesn't pick up the low snap and complete a pass downfield? :mad: I hope and believe the Steelers will ask the league to review the play and ask the league to correct the ruling. I mean what the hell is it listed as now, it certainly shouldn't be scored as a running play.

CargoJon
09-20-2010, 02:48 PM
The only thing the "prevent" defense does is "prevent" you from winning the game....

SteelMember
09-20-2010, 02:56 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2010/images/09/20/troy-polamalu.jpg

I still say that play was a sack! OK let's say troy isn't blitzing, how the hell can the league say that Collins doesn't pick up the low snap and complete a pass downfield? :mad: I hope and believe the Steelers will ask the league to review the play and ask the league to correct the ruling. I mean what the hell is it listed as now, it certainly shouldn't be scored as a running play.

I'm not following, Zu.

Where'd this come from?

Curtain_of_Steel
09-20-2010, 03:01 PM
We went into the old prevent defense and they picked us a part underneath. Yes we do this quite a bit in the past.
We need to have the colts/pats mentality and put them away and cut the jugular. I said it yesterday as well that the TD drive the steelers will go into the prevent and they will score, do a 2 pt conversion than onside. Off course I didnt think we would totally F up the onside kick and push the ball to the Titans, even I could not have scripted that one, LOL

lionslicer
09-20-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm not following, Zu.

Where'd this come from?

No its the play where the center screwed up the snap, and it went 10 yards in the backfield, and Collins ran back and picked it up, he was looking to throw it and Troy hit him down. By NFL rules it is a sack. But the NFL stat recorders for the game think other wise.

The play at the goaline wasn't and couldn't be a sack because Collins clearly was doing a QB sneak so it goes down as a tackle for a loss.

SteelMember
09-20-2010, 03:06 PM
No its the play where the center screwed up the snap, and it went 10 yards in the backfield, and Collins ran back and picked it up, he was looking to throw it and Troy hit him down. By NFL rules it is a sack. But the NFL stat recorders for the game think other wise.

The play at the goaline wasn't and couldn't be a sack because Collins clearly was doing a QB sneak so it goes down as a tackle for a loss.

ok. I was just wondering how it was related to "finishing out the game". :noidea:

CargoJon
09-20-2010, 03:06 PM
We went into the old prevent defense and they picked us a part underneath. Yes we do this quite a bit in the past.
We need to have the colts/pats mentality and put them away and cut the jugular. I said it yesterday as well that the TD drive the steelers will go into the prevent and they will score, do a 2 pt conversion than onside. Off course I didnt think we would totally F up the onside kick and push the ball to the Titans, even I could not have scripted that one, LOL

We almost made Hank Baskett look good on that onside kick.

lionslicer
09-20-2010, 03:10 PM
ok. I was just wondering how it was related to "finishing out the game". :noidea:

I don't know... I just replied with the answer lol. Threads tend to get off topic sometimes.

zulater
09-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Actually I thought I was bumping up the Troy thread, but i guess i missed and didn't realize until afterwards.:doh::chuckle:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=57768&page=2

Here's the thread I meant to post that in.

Steelerfreak58
09-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Thank god for our Defense because the offense is simply horrible.

RUN
RUN
PASS
PUNT

zulater
09-20-2010, 03:19 PM

Yeah and that still is pissing me off. I know it has no relevance in winning or losing but i still want that sack! :mad:

Seriously I'm hoping Troy can rack up the stats for DPOY. I know it;'s early, but if he stays sound I think he's got a great chance for it, and I think a DPOY award would go a long way towards making a resume for Canton. :thumbsup:

SteelMember
09-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Actually I thought I was bumping up the Troy thread, but i guess i missed and didn't realize until afterwards.:doh::chuckle:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=57768&page=2

Here's the thread I meant to post that in.

oh, ok. I just thought I was missing something in the conversation... and ya, I agree. That should be a sack.

Now quit hijacking threads. :flap: :chuckle:

scsteeler
09-20-2010, 04:19 PM

I would agree if the Defense was not on the field so long. Those guys did good not to give up that last TD. Had we gone into OT we would not have won. Our Defense was tired for basically playing at a high level for 3 quarters and then basically playing on sheer determination the 4th quarter. Those guys were tired for doing what needed to be done in order to win the game and that was put constant pressure on the Titans offense all the game because our offense did not do anything to win the game nor allow our defense to rest.

Oh yes and stopping CJ all game will wear you down too.