View Full Version : Who will be quarterback next week? Tomlin isn't sure

mesaSteeler
09-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Who will be quarterback next week? Tomlin isn't sure
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_700355.html#
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, September 20, 2010

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Starting quarterback Dennis Dixon left with a knee injury in the second quarter Sunday against the Tennessee Titans. For a while, backup Charlie Batch, under defensive duress, appeared to be headed toward a similar fate.

Batch survived.

Amazingly, so did the Steelers' moribund offense in a 19-11 win that was the result of a stout defense and opportunistic special teams play.

"I was trying to do anything I can to help this team win,'' said Batch, who completed 5 of 11 passes for 25 yards. "That was going in there and executing the game plan.''

With Dixon sidelined, Batch was the only Steelers quarterback dressed and eligible to play, although coach Mike Tomlin said Dixon could have returned and "handed the ball off to finish the game.''

"If I had to go in the game, I would have done it,'' Dixon said.

Wide receiver Antwaan Randle El, who played quarterback at Indiana well enough to receive Heisman Trophy consideration his senior year, could have played quarterback in an emergency. He wasn't needed.

Byron Leftwich was released Saturday in a roster move, so the Steelers could sign nose tackle Steve McLendon because Casey Hampton was out with a hamstring injury.

Leftwich is expected to re-sign today, which could create a logjam to see which quarterback will start next week at Tampa Bay -- Dixon, Leftwich or Batch. Ben Roethlisberger, serving a four-game suspension, won't be eligible until after the Steelers' bye week.

"I don't know who is going to play quarterback. I know it won't be me. I'm not good enough,'' Tomlin said.

If he receives good news regarding his MRI, Dixon wants to start against the Buccaneers.

"Will I be ready next week? Yeah, I think I can. I planted wrong, it didn't feel right after that,'' said Dixon, who rushed for 28 yards on three carries and suffered the injury while running with the ball on his final series of the game. "If it's something serious, I want to be able to rehab. But I don't think it is.''

Dixon, who was 4 of 6 for 18 yards, described his afternoon this way: "It started off rocky as far as communication. But things started to slow down after that.''

The Steelers generated 127 total yards and seven first downs. Neither quarterback guided the offense to a touchdown.

"We are leaving a lot of offense on the field,'' said Batch, who also wants consideration in the quarterback derby.

"I always want to throw my hat in the ring,'' Batch said. "It's just a matter of if the opportunity presents itself. You never know when your number is going to be called.''

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Stanley
09-20-2010, 09:58 AM
I say start Charlie Batch.
Batch did a good job yesterday.
:thumbsup:

Curtain_of_Steel
09-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Leftwich, if he can go!

Watching paint dry was more exciting than Dixon and Batch. We need some sort of passing threat to keep the running game going for 2 more weeks.

joeyssteelcurtain
09-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Does it really matter. I don't think so just don't turn the ball over and we will win.Our D will win the game if the offense don't loose it

SteelCityMom
09-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Does it really matter. I don't think so just don't turn the ball over and we will win.Our D will win the game if the offense don't loose it

Agreed. Batch or Lefty would be fine, b/c if given the chance they can pass (not sure they'll get the chance often though).

I know some will say they want Dixon b/c he can run if pressured...but that didn't seem to work out too well for us Sunday lol. Plus if there's anyone I worry about turning the ball over, it's him.

Batch or Lefty will protect the ball and handle the pressure better than he will. So either one of them is fine with me.

With that said, I'm sure the coaches will start Dixon on Sunday. :chuckle:

kiuaswarrior
09-20-2010, 11:37 AM
I can't see them starting Leftwich, but maybe he'll know a thing or two against his former teammates.

Fire Arians
09-20-2010, 11:41 AM
batch was doing really well imo, just had a string of bad luck. he had one TD called back by a penalty and another that clanged off ward's hands. for the most part he was on target though.

at this point i think he's the best choice. i do worry if he can make it through 2 games though

kiuaswarrior
09-20-2010, 11:53 AM
batch was doing really well imo, just had a string of bad luck. he had one TD called back by a penalty and another that clanged off ward's hands. for the most part he was on target though.

at this point i think he's the best choice. i do worry if he can make it through 2 games though

You're right, he's the most healthy QB we have right now, so why not start him?

Dixon can be 2nd and Leftwich 3rd.

StainlessStill
09-20-2010, 11:59 AM
I don't see how it can NOT be Leftwhich. He was slated to start to begin with and this offense has been beyond pathetic with Dixon at the helm. Charlie is obviously being used as our own little emergency and we are scared to death of his durability. At this point, Leftwhich is our only hope at providing a spark and he should deserve the shot to come back and start against a team he was apart of last season. I can see the "controversy" if we were lighting it up, but now with Dixon hurting his knee in the midst of not performing well in his 2 starts, Lefty deserves his shot atleast for this game.:helmet:

steeltheone
09-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Batch earned the right to start next week.....Plain and simple!

lionslicer
09-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Agreed. Batch or Lefty would be fine, b/c if given the chance they can pass (not sure they'll get the chance often though).

I know some will say they want Dixon b/c he can run if pressured...but that didn't seem to work out too well for us Sunday lol. Plus if there's anyone I worry about turning the ball over, it's him.

Batch or Lefty will protect the ball and handle the pressure better than he will. So either one of them is fine with me.

With that said, I'm sure the coaches will start Dixon on Sunday. :chuckle:

I thought it worked well sunday until he got injured, he had a big run, could have been sacked a lot more. But Batch showed a lot more mobility than he has in the past, and I'm a bit more comfortable with him now. Plus he knows more plays.
If Dixon starts, its because the coaches don't trust Batch to live through 4 quarters.

cubanstogie
09-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Batch would be a fine game manager. If we fall behind and need to put up points Leftwich is the only guy I see getting the ball downfield. Problem is our line might get Lefty killed. I think we will win with any of them though. I say if Leftwich healthy play him. Its not like anyone has come out and outplayed the other.

SteelCityMom
09-20-2010, 01:08 PM
I thought it worked well sunday until he got injured, he had a big run, could have been sacked a lot more. But Batch showed a lot more mobility than he has in the past, and I'm a bit more comfortable with him now. Plus he knows more plays.
If Dixon starts, its because the coaches don't trust Batch to live through 4 quarters.

Well, yeah...that's what I meant. It didn't work out too well b/c he got injured. I know he's capable of making a nice run, but he has horrid execution with it. It'd be fine if when he ran he didn't pretend he was Ward or Miller and try to barrel over guys, but slide and take the yards given. He played stupid in that respect IMO.

I was pleased with Batch's mobility as well...he looked pretty decent out there for a while.

StainlessStill
09-20-2010, 01:09 PM
Batch would be a fine game manager. If we fall behind and need to put up points Leftwich is the only guy I see getting the ball downfield. Problem is our line might get Lefty killed. I think we will win with any of them though. I say if Leftwich healthy play him. Its not like anyone has come out and outplayed the other.

Out of all the QB's now eligible on our roster, it has to be Leftwhich who could pose the biggest threat with his arm to where a defense would be aware of. Dixon has shown he can't step in there and throw it down the gun barrel at least accurately, and we are worried about Charlies durability overall.

Batch actually made some NICE throws down field. He looked good for what it was worth but some dropped passes in between and a holding call limited his performance. Batch OR Leftwhich will be fine, but I think Lefty, if healthy, deserves a shot.

At this point, I don't think it really matters. Just get to week 5 healthy.

acaton
09-20-2010, 01:12 PM
Well for the fist time in a longtime we know our starter will be...:wave:

Good afternoon fellow football fans, looks to be a pretty entertaining game this Sunday.

We are 2-0 but frankly I am not really expecting to be 3-0 come Sunday afternoon.

Lets have a injury free game and lots of beer.:drink:

lionslicer
09-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Out of all the QB's now eligible on our roster, it has to be Leftwhich who could pose the biggest threat with his arm to where a defense would be aware of. Dixon has shown he can't step in there and throw it down the gun barrel at least accurately, and we are worried about Charlies durability overall.

Batch actually made some NICE throws down field. He looked good for what it was worth but some dropped passes in between and a holding call limited his performance. Batch OR Leftwhich will be fine, but I think Lefty, if healthy, deserves a shot.

I agree, Leftwich has been an effective quarterback in the past, but he's like Favre, you don't know if he'll win you the game or throw 4 interceptions.

zulater
09-20-2010, 01:26 PM

I tend to agree with this point of view. Leftwich was brought here for a reason, mainly because the coaching staff really didn't see it in Dennis dixon. Dixon can make the throws, he has the atheltic ability, but he just doesn't proccess the information like an NFL quarterback has to.The first few plays from scrimmage yesterday Dixon looked like a deer out on the median strip of an interstate.

With Batch, he was somewhat unlucky, hell even Hines Ward dropped what should have been a td pass from Charlie. ARE dropped a decent gainer, as did Wallace, and of course the called back TD to Wallace. given the choice between dixon and Charlie, I lean slightly to Charlie.

Now as for Leftwich, the guy's got the best armlon the team bar none, in other words his arm is better than Ben's. Of course he's not nearly the complete package that ben is, but he is a legitimate NFL qb, and I think he's no less the qb than he was a few seasons back when he advanced the Jaguars to the playoffs. so if he's healthy enough to play it's a no brainer, Leftwich is the man until Ben is back.

lardlad
09-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Batch may be getting old and fragile, but he only needs to play two games, one min. I don't know that Leftwich is any more durable? If Hines catches that pass and the other doesn't come back because of holding, Batch would have had a really good game. Two TD's, no picks and only playing half the game. How could Batch not be the starter. I would have started him two weeks ago.

Age discrimination aside Batch is their best QB right now, by far the smartest.

tony hipchest
09-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Batch may be getting old and fragile, :yep:

Age discrimination aside Batch is their best QB right now, by far the smartest.

while he is the smartest, he isnt the most durable.

they wouldn even afford him the opportunity to ice the game with 3 kneel-downs out of fear he may shred it, or get turf toe of the knee, or some other bizarre injury only he could get by kneeling down....

SoCalFan
09-20-2010, 11:50 PM
Let Ward and RandleEl have some fun!

MikeHaullace
09-21-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm really actually ready to see #4 play.

With Starks most likely in this week, I feel that much better about his 3 second wind-up.