PDA

View Full Version : Does ARE bring anything to this team?

ZoneBlitzer
09-20-2010, 12:29 AM
I had to wonder this just by watching his play.

He's not particularly mind-blowing as a receiver. I'm thinking I'd rather see the young guys get in there.

His East/West stuttering style on returns is ineffective as well. It makes me think of what's Logan doing...hmmm

Here's an idea, cut ARE, bring back Logan and start the young wideouts.

It may be blasphemy to some and I used to be a big ARE supporter but I'm not seeing enough from this guy any more.

VolatileMan
09-20-2010, 12:39 AM
Well actually if Batch goes down ARE is probably our best option at QB.

ZoneBlitzer
09-20-2010, 12:41 AM
Well actually if Batch goes down ARE is probably our best option at QB.

Yes, the way things are now that is true.

Good for emergency situations for sure.

MikeHaullace
09-20-2010, 12:56 AM
Not on the ST side of the ball.

He adds a veteran presence on the WR corp.

No sir. Not much.

ETL
09-20-2010, 01:02 AM
Donuts. I think he brings donuts to breakfast every day.

MasterOfPuppets
09-20-2010, 02:47 AM
i'm sure El will contribute once ben returns . there simply isn't many balls to go around right now. i don't expect to see much from him punt return wise , seems like as soon as he got to washington, his return mojo disappeared.
i didn't much care for the signing. him or battle. i thought it was a panic , knee jerk reaction to the quick lose of holmes. the main reason i didn't like it , was because adding him , coulda meant losing a young guy with potential, like brown.
instead the axe fell on logan , urbik, bailey ,and harris.. all guys that could've still been contributing 3 yrs from now, when EL and battle are out of the league.

CLStan7
09-20-2010, 05:09 AM
yeah id keep ARe until big ben comes back

Tone's Toes
09-20-2010, 05:42 AM
Hard to judge our WR's with Ben out. Mike Wallace has been pretty quiet so far too but we know he's going to be a stud WR.

ricardisimo
09-20-2010, 05:46 AM
i'm sure El will contribute once ben returns . there simply isn't many balls to go around right now. i don't expect to see much from him punt return wise , seems like as soon as he got to washington, his return mojo disappeared.
i didn't much care for the signing. him or battle. i thought it was a panic , knee jerk reaction to the quick lose of holmes. the main reason i didn't like it , was because adding him , coulda meant losing a young guy with potential, like brown.
instead the axe fell on logan , urbik, bailey ,and harris.. all guys that could've still been contributing 3 yrs from now, when EL and battle are out of the league.
:stupid:Agree almost 100%. Not sure he's going to contribute much at all when Ben comes back. He is, I guess, indispensable for right now, while all of our QBs are dropping like flies.

scsteeler
09-20-2010, 06:04 AM
I had to wonder this just by watching his play.

He's not particularly mind-blowing as a receiver. I'm thinking I'd rather see the young guys get in there.

His East/West stuttering style on returns is ineffective as well. It makes me think of what's Logan doing...hmmm

Here's an idea, cut ARE, bring back Logan and start the young wideouts.

It may be blasphemy to some and I used to be a big ARE supporter but I'm not seeing enough from this guy any more.

Bring Logan back! Have you watched him play this year? What has logan done? Did you think this out before you posted this?

zulater
09-20-2010, 06:08 AM
Bring Logan back! Have you watched him play this year? What has logan done? Did you think this out before you posted this?

I watched Logan all last year, and he averaged 9 yards per punt return and 29 per KO return, he's a legitimate threat whenever he touches the ball. ARE calls a mean fair catch, and little else.

StillerzFreak
09-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Personally I dont think ARE will bring anything to the table that the 2 rookies can't. I would have liked to seen "Santonio" Brown returning punts yesterday instead of ARE. Brown/Sanders would both be just fine playing the slot this year. I love ARE when he was here a few years ago, but he doesn't have the same burst and explosiveness that he used to. Wallace had a break out year as a rookie receiver last year and unfortunately with ARE on the team, Sanders and/or Brown wont get the same chance.

smheart78
09-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Logan is doing just fine for the Detroit Lions. The kid is good and has potential. The steelers didn't need any more 'potential', they have that in Sanders/Brown etc. They needed a veteran and bringing back ARE does just that.

zulater
09-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Is it possible to include Mewelde Moore into this conversation? In all honesty I don't see Mewelde bringing much to the table anymore. I think coaches tend to get married to personell groupings, and Mewelde is automatically trotted out on the field whenever we go into hurry up mode or if we're in our 3rd and medium (3-9 yards) offense. In 2008 Mewelde did a great job in this capacity, and even at times when he was called on for more he got the job done. Last year, not so much, this year, not at all. Hey Bruce ( Arians) it's not 2008 anymore.

Third Rail
09-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I loved Mewelde in 2008 but he barely registered last year and this year he hasn't been a factor at all. It's a shame because he had quite a breakout season in 08 and I was a big supporter of his.

Randel El... thanks for clinching a Super Bowl victory in 05... now go announce your formal retirement from football.

lionslicer
09-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Is it possible to include Mewelde Moore into this conversation? In all honesty I don't see Mewelde bringing much to the table anymore. I think coaches tend to get married to personell groupings, and Mewelde is automatically trotted out on the field whenever we go into hurry up mode or if we're in our 3rd and medium (3-9 yards) offense. In 2008 Mewelde did a great job in this capacity, and even at times when he was called on for more he got the job done. Last year, not so much, this year, not at all. Hey Bruce ( Arians) it's not 2008 anymore.

Steelers probably don't want to cut him and pay out his contract. Also he probably is hear the same reason Batch still is, because on the sidelines he is part of the coaching staff, he goes over plays and protections with Mendenhall and Redman. And during practices he probably screws up less in certain situations. Mendenhall might be terrible during 2 minute drills, none of us can really say that for sure unless we went to every practice. Moore's play in the game might be terrible, but thats how it works. I'm sure in practice the O-line is amazing, but in game its a totally different situation.
In general I don't know why Randle El is on the team or came back, maybe because he's a fan favorite and it adds to the moral? Maybe because we needed a slot reciever who can pick up yards after the catch.

SteelKnight
09-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Hard to judge our WR's with Ben out. Mike Wallace has been pretty quiet so far too but we know he's going to be a stud WR.

True Dat.

But for Punt returning, I think they just put him in there because they knew he wouldn't fumble. He doesn't offer much as far as returns.

kiuaswarrior
09-20-2010, 04:12 PM
I'm also with the people who aren't satisfied with Randel El and Moore.

But give them a chance when our offense starts to play like a real NFL team.

cloppbeast
09-20-2010, 04:46 PM
He adds a veteran presence on the WR corp.

Who really cares if he's at the right place at the right time if he doesn't catch the ball. We may as well put Brown or Sanders on the field to take their lumps and provide a much better special teams effort. They'll run the right route most of the time, and they'll probably catch the ball more often as well.

Moore sucks too. Anything Moore can do, Medenhall or Redman can do much better.

Set-Man
09-20-2010, 07:42 PM
ARE- out , Brown or Sanders in.

This should be Moore's last year. He looks so much slower than last year.