PDA

View Full Version : Is Leftwich's resigning set in stone?

ricardisimo
09-20-2010, 06:51 AM
Do we resign a QB who can't play yet if we apparently might need to sign a healthy one who can?

Steve McClendon, who took Leftwich's spot, played well and recovered a fumble by the way, so nice job by the coaches to make a worthwhile roster move. The only problem is that he's almost sure to lose his spot as well very soon, and he may have just auditioned for his next job elsewhere. :doh:

zulater
09-20-2010, 07:05 AM
I think the expectation is for Leftwich to be healthy enough to start against the Bucs. Basically the Steelers made a brilliant move by releasing Leftwich for the roster spot because Leftwich isn't subject to waivers, he's considered a free agent and can sign with anyone, including the Steelers, which I'm sure he agreed to resign with ahead of time.

don't be surprised if the league closes this loophole and makes a team releasing a veteran unable to resign that veteran for a specified time period.

ETL
09-20-2010, 07:31 AM
Apparently, if they tried to do this after the trade deadline, he would be subject to waivers.

Curtain_of_Steel
09-20-2010, 09:34 AM
I have to think barring putting randel el at QB Leftwhich's signing should be announced shortly with a huge press conference, lol

Dixon on th eother hand is still tossing up his cookies from being scared to death yesterday and hopes to be able to keep down some jello shots by the end of the day.

2 games to go!

MACH1
09-20-2010, 10:41 AM
I don't think we have much of a choice at this point.

LVSteelersfan
09-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Leftwich is just another mediocre QB out of 4 QBs on this team. I think he gives a little better option if he can get the ball out to Wallace on the fly. But he is a detriment because he does not move around in the pocket well and is a liability when our Oline is in such shambles. I don't envy Tomlin this decision because he has 3 QBs that totally suck. How we are 2-0 is a miracle. Thank you Troy and company.

ricardisimo
09-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Apparently, if they tried to do this after the trade deadline, he would be subject to waivers.
No, he's a vested veteran... no waiver system rules apply. He's a FA the moment he's cut.
I don't think we have much of a choice at this point.
But that's the point: Is he really an option yet? His own highly optimistic target date to return was next, but of course he'd say that. He wants a job. Don't they have to use his roster spot on a functioning QB, though?
Leftwich is just another mediocre QB out of 4 QBs on this team. I think he gives a little better option if he can get the ball out to Wallace on the fly. But he is a detriment because he does not move around in the pocket well and is a liability when our Oline is in such shambles. I don't envy Tomlin this decision because he has 3 QBs that totally suck. How we are 2-0 is a miracle. Thank you Troy and company.
Who exactly are the 3 QBs that "totally suck," prey tell? And who are the four "mediocre" QBs?

SteelMember
09-20-2010, 03:40 PM
He's got to be a better option than having Charlie hand off for the enitre game.

and fwiw, when Ben comes back (hardly a mediocre qb), we will need to cut another roster spot. As it is now, he doesn't count on the 53 because of his suspension. Who's that gonna be? Lefty again, or Charlie.

Atlanta Dan
09-20-2010, 03:43 PM
When the Steelers gathered for their team meeting at 2 this afternoon, quarterback Byron Leftwich joined them.

Leftwich, released on Saturday in a procedural move, could start Sunday's game in Tampa. The Steelers are expected to announce that he has re-signed with them.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10263/1089000-66.stm

Savvy move by the front office to buy some short term D-line depth in the Nashville heat, although if Batch had fallen it could have blown up

It's all about paddling to stay afloat until #7 returns

SteelMember
09-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Do we resign a QB who can't play yet if we apparently might need to sign a healthy one who can?

Steve McClendon, who took Leftwich's spot, played well and recovered a fumble by the way, so nice job by the coaches to make a worthwhile roster move. The only problem is that he's almost sure to lose his spot as well very soon, and he may have just auditioned for his next job elsewhere. :doh:

As long as Hampton is out, McClendon has a spot. He's the only other real NT besides Hoke we have in the system. Ziggy can handle some of the passing downs, but I don't think I'd want him in there for entire game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-20-2010, 05:41 PM
I think Lefty needed to be back. All depends on what Dixon's injury is, but I think he's still here to stay when Ben comes back.

Heck, I'd be fine seeing Leftwich start this week even if he is gimpy.

SteelCityMom
09-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Leftwich got resigned again today...

Steelers re-sign QB Byron Leftwich two days after releasing him
04:45 PM

The Steelers reversed Saturday's transaction and re-signed QB Byron Leftwich while releasing DL Steve McLendon.

With NT Casey Hampton missing Sunday's win vs. the Titans, the Steelers wanted the added depth on their D-line. However given QB Dennis Dixon's knee injury yesterday, depth at quarterback may now be more critical.

With two games to go before Ben Roethlisberger is eligible to return, the Steelers could start Dixon, Charlie Batch (who finished up yesterday) or Leftwich against the Buccaneers on Sunday. Leftwich played for Tampa Bay last season before the Steelers reacquired him after Roethlisberger's off-field issues came to light.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, a former Bucs assistant alongside current coach Raheem Morris during the Tony Dungy regime, has not yet tipped his hand for Sunday other than taking himself out of the starting mix.

-- Nate Davis

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/09/steelers-re-sign-qb-byron-leftwich-two-days-after-releasing-him/1

Steel_Bus_24
09-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Hows Byrons knee doing??? any word???

Mags87
09-20-2010, 06:27 PM
pardon me for my nerd showing, but all of this "just survive until Ben gets back" talk reminds me of watching Dragon Ball Z when i was a kid. it usually took 4 weeks of barely hanging on until Goku arrived to make everything better.

Steel_Bus_24
09-20-2010, 07:03 PM
pardon me for my nerd showing, but all of this "just survive until Ben gets back" talk reminds me of watching Dragon Ball Z when i was a kid. it usually took 4 weeks of barely hanging on until Goku arrived to make everything better.

Im a big fan too and know what ya mean

http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1151563/goku-s-on-his-way-o.gif