PDA

View Full Version : Classic "trap game" scenario ahead.

zulater
09-20-2010, 03:33 PM
If there was ever a trap game next weeks game against the Bucs would be the perfect candidate. You're coming off two physical games where the Steeles were underdogs and had to fight tooth and nail to the wire against relatively strong teams. Combine that with the potential peek ahead factor with the Ravens looming on the horizon. Then throw in the National perception that has the Steelers going from the ugly stepsister to a supposed NFL powerhouse virtually overnight and I wonder what the overall effect will be? It's often said that adversity reveals character, and by that measure the Steelers have shown tremendous character these first two weeks. But I also feel it's equally true that prosperity can reveal flaws in one's character., and if the Steelers forget what got them here, and start buying into the newfound positive press, then this game could prove troublesome.

In the end I think te Steelers might not have the edge they took into Tennessee, but i think this years team has the character to reach down deep and win on a day when they don't have their best fastball.

StainlessStill
09-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Exactly what I said yesterday after the game. I came on here all fired up and quickly realized that this next game @ Tampa could be a trap. Look at the way our defense is playing. We are savages. We beat two potentially playoff teams to the wire. Now, we head to Tampa Bay, an NFC opponent to where we aren't too familiar with and going into un-familiar territory. Tampa is a tough place to play. Hell, even Green Bay went down there last year and lost in their house.

On top of that, we got Baltimore the week after. I hope we don't overlook this team and how young they are and how they got a young QB. Our D is bound to atleast bend once and the offense just isn't showing much at all to rebound if the defense has an off day and it could be next Sunday. If we go 3-1, I won't be surprised if Tampa is the team to knock us out of line a bit and then go onto beat Baltimore in a division showdown. It's been done before. I'm weary of this one in the back of my mind.

Set-Man
09-20-2010, 08:30 PM
I agree. With them playing in the florida heat/humidity I can see the D tiring out after that effort yesterday. We will win if we can muster up some offense. We need to score both through the ground and air. Tampa's defense is pretty good and their corners could bring a pick back for a TD.

BArians needs to be more original than run middle, run middle, maybe pass if we don't get sacked.

If Leftwich starts at least he knows the play book. We could use Wallace deep too with his arm.

Atlanta Dan
09-20-2010, 08:36 PM
The 2006 and 2009 teams definitely would have looked past Tampa

But it is as if there are 2 regular seasons - pre-Ben & post-Ben, with the team being incredibly focused with the understanding there is no room for error in the first 4 games

Although I would have been delighted with a 2-2 record going into the bye week, this team appears to have believed otherwise - I look for another max effort this Sunday

Vegas apparently agrees - early line favors Steelers by 3

mikegrimey
09-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Yep under the Tomline tenure games like these are awfully scary.

With the exception of 08 where we seldomly had an easy opponent (Browns late in the year and 2x Bengals), every year we seem to drop a couple of easy games against the weaklintgs of the NFL.
Losing to the likes of the Cardinals, Broncos, and Jets in 07 and we all know about that horrendous losses last year to the likes of the bears, browns, chiefs, raiders etc.

This should be a hard fought game. I'm hoping we can muster up some offense with Leftwich under center and of course our defense is going to need another strong preformance. The Bucs aren't a great team by any means but they do have some young playmakers that can cause problems.

Their running game shouldb e a non-factor against us, so it'll all be up to the secondary again, glad to have Polamalu back there.

Fire Arians
09-20-2010, 08:43 PM
mike really falls in these trap games too. last year we dropped games against 3 bottom 5 teams in the NFL. winning this game will go a long way to show how mature this team is. they always seem to rise to the occasion against a tough opponent but always seem to struggle against ones they should win against easily

Steeler Fred
09-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Agreed. For some reason, this game seems more treacherous than the first 2.

tony hipchest
09-20-2010, 09:00 PM
last 4 posts are spot on... :cheers:

(although i dont feel this game is more treacherous from a players perpective). if anything it hink thye can loosen up a bit. perhaps the offense doesnt look so tight.

i think the return of letwich would be a huge shot in the arm.

Steel_Bus_24
09-20-2010, 09:47 PM
If I was Tomlin Id be running a looped tape of freaking Bruce Gradkowski carving our D to pieces last year

They lost 5 in a row last year and repeatedly collapsed in the 4th qrt in every facet of the game

The Bucs Qb is a baller too....very much like Ben in his ability keep the play alive
it'll be even hotter in Tampa, and the Bucs are going to play with a chip on their shoulder

We better not lose ours

StainlessStill
09-20-2010, 09:50 PM
If I was Tomlin Id be running a looped tape of freaking Bruce Gradkowski carving our D to pieces last year

They lost 5 in a row last year and repeatedly collapsed in the 4th qrt in every facet of the game

The Bucs Qb is a baller too....very much like Ben in his ability keep the play alive
it'll be even hotter in Tampa, and the Buc are going to play with a chip on their shoulder

We better not lose ours

Judging by everyone's reactions and how the team is out to prove everyone wrong on how we can't win without Ben, it will be hard to believe that we would lose our chip. If anything, we should continue to foam at the mouth.

LVSteelersfan
09-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Do you honestly think that Josh Freeman has any chance of reading Lebeau's zone blitz schemes? He is going to be in for a long day as he is harassed and sacked time and time again. I am not worried about this one. The trap game is going to be the first one that Ben comes back. He could very well be rusty and not quite ready to play at game speed yet. I think we are going to stomp the Bucs into the ground like we did the Titans and win a low scoring game yet again.

Judging by everyone's reactions and how the team is out to prove everyone wrong on how we can't win without Ben, it will be hard to believe that we would lose our chip. If anything, we should continue to foam at the mouth.

tbayfan
09-20-2010, 11:19 PM
Do you honestly think that Josh Freeman has any chance of reading Lebeau's zone blitz schemes? He is going to be in for a long day as he is harassed and sacked time and time again. I am not worried about this one. The trap game is going to be the first one that Ben comes back. He could very well be rusty and not quite ready to play at game speed yet. I think we are going to stomp the Bucs into the ground like we did the Titans and win a low scoring game yet again.

Doint sleep on the Bucs...never mind, look past the past so that we can be your trap game.

OX1947
09-20-2010, 11:27 PM
The first 4 games are trap games. They are playing in traps of land mines without their star QB. They need to beat the Bucs to go 3-0. I was praying for 3-1 at the very least. If somehow Leftwich can have the game of his life against B-more, 4-0 pretty much guarantees the division for the Steelers and confidence for the entire year.

MikeHaullace
09-21-2010, 12:02 AM
I don't buy into the whole 'trap game' thing, personally.

They're all professionals.

Any given Sunday.

$.02

Hi5Steeler
09-21-2010, 02:42 AM
how in gods name is next week a trap game?

our starting quarter back is out. thats bad

our backup qb was injured then cut now re signed. thats worse

our third string qb was injured and now out about a month even worse yet

our starting left tackle out last week. maybe this week and if plays will not be 100% worse even yet!

our starting NT hampton out and may be out this week if not wont be 100% HORRIBLE news i dont care how good hoke is he aint as good as hampton

emmanual sanders out....maybe next week also.... arnaz battle sucks..... antwaan randle el has ZERO energy left

all we really have at WR is hines and wallace and hopefully they start antonio brown but that means he will be butt tired for returns.......

HOW IN GODS NAME IS ANYONE CALLING NEXT WEEK A TRAP GAME????

we won two games yippee

this game is no trap game

freeman has potential as a qb

they have kellen winslow who plays well as a TE

They have a rookie STUD in Mike Williams

they have a chance to win at home considering if batch gets hurt....highly likely....and if leftwich isnt healed fully.....thats a lock.....

we could EASILY end up with randle el or hines ward qbing in a hostile stadium.

trap game?

yea id call it a BEAR TRAP.

MasterOfPuppets
09-21-2010, 03:41 AM
I don't buy into the whole 'trap game' thing, personally.

They're all professionals.

Any given Sunday.

$.02
agreed ... this isn't college football where they have 28 point spreads. given the circumstances, i wouldn't even consider a loss to tampa as an upset . especially this early in the season when teams are playing sloppy football and trying to find an identity. this isn't your fathers football where good teams stay good for years, and bad teams are doomed to suckdom , while waiting to hit on a winning combination of draft picks. in this era teams can rise or fall quicker than the stock market.

Shellfan31
09-21-2010, 03:51 AM
I can't see the Steelers losing their us against the world mentality.

wootawnee
09-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Dude the Bucs look good......They got Kellen Winslow, and Josh Freeman looks like Ben did when he came into the league......They got their stuff together, so we got to play them real hard..........This might be our toughest game while Ben is out of the line up..........

LukesDad88
09-21-2010, 01:56 PM
I would gladly accept a loss in this game if we come out healthy. It's going to be another scorcher of a game, with the D spending an awful long time on the field. With the D playing so angry right now, it's a prime opportunity for someblody to blow out their knee, or suffer some other serious injury.

While injuries can occur in any game, it would be a shame to see it happen in a game as meaningless as this one, especially with the Ravens coming the week after.

StainlessStill
09-21-2010, 02:40 PM
we won two games yippee

And we won them in the most dominating way possible against very talented teams that can be as dangerous as anybody. Same can be said for Tampa, whose wins came against a bad Cleveland team and a full of a mess Carolina team.

As bad the Steelers need to play offense close to their chest, we still controlled the time of possession. That's going to be a hard formula and very frustrating for any team to beat the way our defense has played. Things can be opened up on offense this week as well. Batch or Lefty can give us a spark downfield.

freeman has potential as a qb

Yes, he does. So does the rest of any NFL roster, let alone every termite, mighty mite, jr. high, varsity, or college football QB. I have some potential to take a massive dump right now. The problem for Freeman lies ahead of the men who's going to line across from him.

they have kellen winslow who plays well as a TE

AaaaAAHHhh, the f*ckin SOLDIER! lmao, gimmie a break. We played Winslow twice a year when he was with Cleveland (when he wasn't injured) and he barely posed a threat. Troy Polamalu will mostly line up over Winslow. You think Freeman will be smart enough to locate Troy?

They have a rookie STUD in Mike Williams

What does Mike Williams offer to the Buccaneers that Nate Washington or Roddy White couldn't offer the Titans or Falcons early on? Yes he's a stud, but really? The Buccaneers leading receiver isn't even a WR. Winslow leads all receiving, followed by Williams who only has 7 receptions in 2 games.

they have a chance to win at home considering if batch gets hurt....highly likely....and if leftwich isnt healed fully.....thats a lock.....

Don't be putting all our chips on Batch "more than likely" getting hurt. Reggie Bush snapped his leg last night and there's just an eptitude of players biting the dust. Any player is highly likely to get hurt. Of coarse Tampa has a chance. THAT'S WHY THEY PLAY THE GAME.

we could EASILY end up with randle el or hines ward qbing in a hostile stadium.

Calm down, haha. We'll be alright. Lefty will be ready to go and vice versa with Batch. We're winning with our 3rd-4th quarterbacks. What other team can say the same? 0.

DoubleYoi
09-21-2010, 03:26 PM
This would be a trap game if we weren't down to our last viable options at the QB position. I heard a rumor that Bubby Brister was working out for the team on the South Side today. How can we look past anybody right now? If anything, this should be the game where we go all out and secure the 3-0 record, then lay down for the Ravens in order to hand Ben a somewhat healthy 3-1 club. Not that the Steelers would ever lay down for the Ravens but you get my point.

Never thought I'd say this but Ben's suspension may have been a blessing in disguise. Had he not been suspended or had the length been reduced dramatically, we'd have a team in shambles given Ben's situation, Santonio's trade, uncertainty of the defense heading into the season....etc. It looks as if they have that focus and swagger back that is what fuels championship teams. The "I don't care what anybody thinks, we can beat this team" mentality is crucial and you can see it in the Steelers' eyes. Should be a hell of a season from here on out.

:tt04:

Atlanta Dan
09-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Based on this quote it does not appear the Steelers are congratulating themselves for having escaped disaster in September and plan to kick back

LB LaMarr Woodley on the 2-0 start: "It's not how you start, it's how you finish. We don't want to be a team that's just September-October. We want to be a team in November-December

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/13988785

stb_steeler
09-21-2010, 04:59 PM
(although i dont feel this game is more treacherous from a players perpective). if anything it hink thye can loosen up a bit. perhaps the offense doesnt look so tight.

i think the return of letwich would be a huge shot in the arm.

I agree with tony on this one...most had us losing to Titans. I was more worried with that one, but i do understand why some feel this could be a trap game, we've seen a few of those last season. Its like this, i read an article in the paper quoting James Farrior: They all think their gonna take advantage off us because of our off season troubles, if they think we're gonna lay down forget about it!.. Kudos to James...:thumbsup:

Fire Haley
09-22-2010, 12:22 PM
It's all on the defense.

If the other team can't score, they can't win....duh....I say it's time for our D to get a shutout.

Pound them into the dirt.

Indo
09-22-2010, 12:30 PM
This game worries me a little, too.

As long as the D maintains the Intensity/ferocity...

Any given Sunday...
But as long as we fight for that inch....

Fire Haley
09-22-2010, 12:33 PM
I ain't ascared

James Harrison - AFC Defensive player of the week

Linebacker James Harrison was named the AFC Defensive Player of the Week

Harrison had impressive numbers in the game, finishing with 11 tackles, two sacks, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery. He sacked Titans quarterback Vince Young twice, forcing a fumble on both plays.

http://www.nfltouchdown.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/james-harrison.jpg