PDA

View Full Version : Hope gets a new contract

clevestinks
04-15-2005, 02:56 PM
The Steelers retained the services of one of their leading tacklers in 2004 by re-signing restricted free agent safety Chris Hope to a one-year contract. Financial terms of the deal were not released.

Hope was a first-year starter for the Steelers at free safety last season when he tied for second on the team with 97 tackles. His 72 solo tackles last year ranked second on the team behind All-Pro inside linebacker James Farrior. Hope also defensed nine passes and recorded his first career interception in 2004.

Hope was originally selected by the Steelers in the third round (94th overall) of the 2002 NFL Draft. He is the fifth unrestricted free agent to re-sign with the team this offseason.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-15-2005, 03:25 PM
This is good for us.. we get him for another year,and if he performs well, we can resign him, if he has a sub par year, like last year, we can just let him go.

My money is on Chris to have a good year though.

ironcitychef
04-16-2005, 12:37 AM
Holy Cow. Do people think this is the year for us or what? All these 1 year deals. My FA scorecard for end of season looks like this:

Offense: Haynes, Cushing, Mays, Battaglia, Rasby, Morey, St. Pierre, Randle El, Bettis, Ward(for now), Tuman, Burr, and Schneck

Defense: Keisel, Hampton, Kimo VonO, Hoke, Kriewaldt, Townsend, Taylor, and Hope.
21? Is that right need some help checking facts?

BB2W
04-16-2005, 12:53 AM
Verron Haynes was also signed.......

Halfback Verron Haynes, like Hope a restricted free agent, also did not sign with another team, giving the Steelers his exclusive rights for one more year.

Hope will receive a $656,000 salary this year unless he and the Steelers come to terms on a multi-year contract. Haynes has little choice now but to sign the same one-year contract for $656,000. Both could become unrestricted free agents next year.

Their other three restricted free agents previously signed. Defensive end Brett Keisel and wide receiver Lee Mays signed one-year tenders at $656,000. Kicker Jeff Reed signed a five-year contract for $7.5 million with a $1.5 million signing bonus.

Hope started all 16 games at free safety last season, replacing departed Brett Alexander. He was second on the team with 72 solo tackles and his 97 total tackles tied for second. He also had one interception.

Haynes, their third-down back, ran 55 times for 272 yards and caught 18 passes for 142 yards and two touchdowns last season.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-16-2005, 04:17 PM
its not usual for the Steelers to sign tender 1yr offers to playerson the bubble, like Haynes, Hope, etc..to see if they will perform up to par,then they'll try and resign them the next offseason, or just let them go if they suck.

ironcitychef
04-17-2005, 12:35 AM
yeah but with 21 FA come next year, unless you have a Ben or Ward jersey, I wouldn't go shopping for one this year.

clevestinks
04-17-2005, 06:52 AM
21?
is that how many? holy s%#%

BlitzburghRockCity
04-17-2005, 10:13 AM
Holy Cow. Do people think this is the year for us or what? All these 1 year deals. My FA scorecard for end of season looks like this:

Offense: Haynes, Cushing, Mays, Battaglia, Rasby, Morey, St. Pierre, Randle El, Bettis, Ward(for now), Tuman, Burr, and Schneck

Defense: Keisel, Hampton, Kimo VonO, Hoke, Kriewaldt, Townsend, Taylor, and Hope.

the only ones I would count on that list as being there in 2006, are St. Pierre, El, Ward, Tuman (maybe schneck), Hampton, Hoke, Kriewaldt, Townsend... HOpe & taylor are on the bubble.

ironcitychef
04-18-2005, 01:23 AM
I know we regretted giving out all those contracts when we opened Heinz field, and we now want players to earn their contracts, but we could be looking at an overhaul this offseason.

clevestinks
04-18-2005, 02:55 PM
Lets win it while we can!

madrax
04-18-2005, 03:09 PM

OK, before the sky starts falling from all the FAs leaving town, let's look at your list:

Retiring: Bettis, Kimo

Starters: Randle El (maybe), Ward, Tuman (for now), Hampton, Townsend, Hope.

So of the 21 FAs only 6 are projected as starters for 2006, and that's IF Tuman remains as our TE, or Townsend as our CB. Colclough/Taylor should be ready to take over full time in 2006.

The only ones that I'd be concerned with are Randle El, Ward, Hampton and maybe Hope, depending on his year. No starting OL on your list, and that's a VERY good thing.

HinesWard4Life8682
04-18-2005, 03:35 PM
i expect us to get ward, randle el, and hampton (50/50)

I would like us to keep hampton u need a excellent DT and thats what hampton is and hes better than hoke, and wee need him now that clancy's gone

BlitzburghRockCity
04-18-2005, 05:54 PM
The steelers know how valuable hampton is to a 3-4... Even without casey last year, we played well, w/ Hoke..but Hampton is just mammoth that I know the STeelers will be primed to try and resign b/4 he hits the market.

ironcitychef
04-19-2005, 02:49 AM
Oh yeah, I'm not saying we are in trouble, but I think I might have an idea how we plan to pay for Farrior's, Foote's and Ward's contracts when some of those names are no longer back. I also see some of those extra draft picks next year for all those FA departures. Rebuild? No way, Reload.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-19-2005, 07:43 PM
exactly.. rebuilding sux... and since we dont make a habit of keeping around too much dead weight becuz of the big ass contracts they signed that they didnt live up to, we normally stay in pretty good shape year in and year out.