PDA

View Full Version : isaac bruce could replace randel el

tony hipchest
03-06-2006, 09:04 AM
he was cut and has already made a ton of money. im sure other teams will offer him more than the steelers, especially if an extra 7-10 mil is added to the cap. but who knows, maybe he likes the way the steelers operate and would be willing to accept a role.

Suitanim
03-06-2006, 09:20 AM
I'd rather draft a young stud then take a chance with an aging guy who's battled injuries and will be wanting money based on what's he's done in the past and not what he'll be able to muster in the future.

83-Steelers-43
03-06-2006, 09:23 AM
I'd rather draft a young stud then take a chance with an aging guy who's battled injuries and will be wanting money based on what's he's done in the past and not what he'll be able to muster in the future.

I agree.

tony hipchest
03-06-2006, 09:27 AM
I'd rather draft a young stud then take a chance with an aging guy who's battled injuries and will be wanting money based on what's he's done in the past and not what he'll be able to muster in the future. me too. if we could get someone like m. nance in the 2nd round all this would be moot. just good to know there are viable options out there and next years success doenst hinge on overpaying randel el (who i hate to see go.) there could be alot of cheeper better options. im curious what the patriots would be like with a wr corp of bruce, branch, and moulds. the steelers definitely aren as desperate for a wr as phily is. i think bruce would fit in real nice there. (if i were them id try to get brandon lloyd but i dont think sf is gonna let him go)

BigSteelThrill
03-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Isaac would do more then replace ARE, at least on offense as a receiver.

But the $?

And Lloyd was tendered at 1.6 million.

Ambridge
03-06-2006, 12:07 PM
I'd rather see what Quincy Morgan still has to offer as a receiver and draft Michael Robinson in the second round to replace Randle El.

BB2W
03-06-2006, 12:51 PM
I'd rather see what Quincy Morgan still has to offer as a receiver and draft Michael Robinson in the second round to replace Randle El.
I like that scenario but we could most likely get M-Rob after the second round. I know Bruce is a proven receiver, but I relly think Qunicy can play in the "X" opposite Ward. He has the speed and the build... but I still question his hands.

Stlrs4Life
03-06-2006, 04:34 PM

That's for sure. But Bruce is a good WR. But not what I would pay for in an older vet.

tony hipchest
03-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Do you really think Bruce would sign for less than Randle El?? I don't see him playing for chump change, and if the money situation is close, I'd rather have El back just because he's been around and we know he fits in with the team.
personally i say 95% no but the steelers do have bringing in ty law for a look-see last year as prescedence even thow they knew it was a shot in dark to land him.

i think he will re sign with the rams for a nice sum (4-5 mil/ year) if not potential suitors and teams who can outbid us are philadelphia, cheifs, and n.e.

kind of the same situation with eric moulds. but if it came down to offering either of these guys the same money as what el wants i think the steelers would make the decision for el and show him the door. these guys potentially being free agents may actually make it easier to keep el.

3 to be 4
03-06-2006, 08:48 PM
im interested in Steelers fans views on this one:

I, as a Patriots fan, LOVE the play of David Givens. My greatest fear this off season is that they lose him. But if they do, I think the Steelers could do a lot worse than signing this guy. Obviously not the same talent, but he plays the game like Ward. A great blocker, and a clutch, clutch receiver. A winner.

tony hipchest
03-06-2006, 08:55 PM
im interested in Steelers fans views on this one:

I, as a Patriots fan, LOVE the play of David Givens. My greatest fear this off season is that they lose him. But if they do, I think the Steelers could do a lot worse than signing this guy. Obviously not the same talent, but he plays the game like Ward. A great blocker, and a clutch, clutch receiver. A winner. if the patriots cant afford him, theres no way the steelers would give givens what he wants. steelers probably prefer el. givens has played with brady. el has played with kordell, maddox and a rookie before finally winning a ring. before that he was a qb. im thinking for the same $$$ the pats would rather have bruce or moulds than givens.

i will admitt givens numbers are probably watered down to not inflate his value. ;) on the hopes of resigning him on the cheap.

DIESELMAN
03-07-2006, 12:48 AM

Definitely........he'll be 34 in October.....

schoondog
03-07-2006, 01:37 AM
from what i've heard the patriots haven't even offered givens a contract. I'd post a link as just as soon as someone shows me how to post one from the radio

mopit55
03-07-2006, 02:34 PM
bruce is too old and expensive , we've need a young player

Ohio Steeler
03-07-2006, 02:36 PM
bruce is too old and expensive , we've need a young player

I agree why waste our time with someone who might only have a year left if that

mopit55
03-07-2006, 02:41 PM
just one year yes if we have mo'money but restucture contract of casey, joey ,alan and more is better

bigbensgirl7
03-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Don't see it happening...here are some of the teams looking at him according to KFFL: Texans, Titans, and Redskins

Ohio Steeler
03-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Don't see it happening...here are some of the teams looking at him according to KFFL: Texans, Titans, and Redskins

of those names I see if in Houston

mopit55
03-07-2006, 02:48 PM
we must take a rookie for exemple sino moss

Ohio Steeler
03-07-2006, 04:14 PM
I would love to see us take Devin Hester from Miami but I dont see him going that low another one that would be good for us is Santonio Holmes from The Ohio State Buckeyes and he is another oen I belive will be gone by the time we pick.

so with that said we should look at

Maurice Stovall from Notre Damn
Chad Jackson from Florida
Martin Nance from Miami of Ohio

SteelerFanInCA
03-07-2006, 05:04 PM
Bruce will probably end up staying with the Rams after all.

SteelerzGirl
03-07-2006, 07:14 PM
I'm going to be upset if Randle El goes because I like him and his razzle-dazzle, but from everything I've heard, the Steelers are going to try their best to keep him. We'll see...

pittsburgh$teelersfan
03-07-2006, 07:30 PM
I want Ike Taylor signed to a long term deal.

bigbensgirl7
03-07-2006, 08:21 PM
I'm going to be upset if Randle El goes because I like him and his razzle-dazzle, but from everything I've heard, the Steelers are going to try their best to keep him. We'll see...
I kind of have been hearing the opposite. Yes, El wants to stay and will be willing to take a little less to come back to Pittsburgh, but I think there are teams that are going to offer him a lot and we won't be able to come within the million or two it would take to keep him. It also kind of seemed like when Ben and Heinz made their plea to keep him, they didn't seem like they really believe it is going to happen.
I do love El and I hope we see him in the black and gold. If he leaves I will be upset, but I also feel he can be replaced if need be.

tony hipchest
03-10-2006, 11:57 AM
i think we can say good bye to randel el. i. bruce just re signed with the rams for 3 yrs/15 mil. with 6 mil guaranteed in the 1st year. he has just set the market for el and pats can probably kiss givens goodbye too. i wish i were wrong but both these youngsters will feel like they are worth more than the 33 year old bruce. rams kinda screwed it up for us with their new found salary cap $$$ by paying him for things done in the past. granted he is about the same age as marvin harrison but marvin isnt the clear cut #2 guy like bruce is. i am comfortable with the receivers we got, and drafting one in the 2nd round to groom and picking up the penn state qb in the latter rounds.

for the price of el we can keep morgan, justify 2 mil spent on c. wilson and pay for atleast 2 rookies. thats a 4 for 1 on the wr position i can live with.

Ohio Steeler
03-10-2006, 11:59 AM
EL's days in the burgh are done with I dont see us re-signing him

tony hipchest
03-10-2006, 12:18 PM
i dont think wed sign him for 4 million, let alone more than 6. cedric wilsons 4 year $8 million deal keeps looking better and better every day.

shutdown
03-10-2006, 12:34 PM

you guessed right. :)

BB2W
03-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Bruce is returining to the Rams, they just worked out a new deal...

Just five days after being released by the St. Louis Rams for salary cap reasons, four-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Isaac Bruce rejoined the only team for which he has every played.

Bruce has agreed to a new, three-year deal worth $15 million, which the team announced Friday afternoon.

The contract will pay Bruce $6 million in 2006. Under his previous contract, he would have earned $8.1 million total from a roster bonus ($1.5 million), base salary ($6.5 million) and workout bonus ($100,000).

Although he received immediate interest from several teams after his release on Sunday night, and could have signed elsewhere because he did not have to wait until the start of the free agency period, Bruce's aim was to return to the Rams, if possible, to complete his career. One of the team's most interested in Bruce was the Detroit Lions, where former Rams head coach Mike Martz is the new offensive coordinator.

But Rams officials maintained a dialogue with Bruce and agent Jimmy Sexton, and the wide receiver met with team officials, including first-year coach Scott Linehan, on Thursday to discuss his future. Linehan reiterated to Bruce what he had said publicly, that he projected him as still fitting into the team's plans, and wanted him to return if salary terms could be agreed upon.

"I'm excited that we have worked out a deal," Linehan said. "I'd been optimistic all along that we would be able to get this done."

Negotiations with the Rams were aimed at meeting both sides' priorities. Bruce never visited other teams and there were no substantive contract talks with other franchises. Bruce, 33, represents the final link to the Rams' days in Los Angeles, having been the club's second-round draft choice in 1994. He is one of the most popular players in the St. Louis community and highly regarded by club officials and teammates.

The 12-year veteran has appeared in 167 games and started in 154 of them. He has 813 receptions for 12,278 yards and 77 touchdowns. Six times, Bruce has posted 75 or more catches in a season and he has seven seasons of 1,000 yards or more. His 73-yard touchdown reception provided St. Louis the winning score in its Super Bowl XXXIV victory over the Tennessee Titans.

Limited to 11 appearances in 2005 because of injuries, Bruce had 36 catches and 525 yards, his lowest totals since 1998, when a severe hamstring injury forced him to miss 11 contests. But the Rams and other teams feel Bruce has not slipped much physically and still has some productive years remaining.

link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2362534

Lyn
03-10-2006, 02:50 PM
I think ARE will stay because he said he was going to put it in God's hands and we all know God is a Steeler fan :)

83-Steelers-43
03-10-2006, 03:03 PM
After this new CBA agreement, I think El is gone. Even before the agreement I thought he would be gone. It's in Gods hands? LOL. No, it's in Mr. Franklin's hands. Get real El.