PDA

View Full Version : Dixon injury update

truesteelerfan
09-20-2010, 04:43 PM
According to profootballtalk.com- Dennis Dixon has a torn Meniscus. Isn't that the same injury Ben had a few years ago? Looks like we'll be picking our starter next week from 2 options instead of three.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/20/dennis-dixon-has-a-torn-meniscus/

wyn50
09-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Looks like Steelers will be looking on waiver wire for another QB.
Who's available?

jjpro11
09-20-2010, 05:08 PM
no they won't.. Leftwich, Batch, ARE will be our QBs. no need to waste a roster spot on another QB when ARE can fill in. all we need is 20 yards net passing to win games. :sofunny:

lionslicer
09-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Leftwich's injury takes 2-4 weeks to heal, knowing his past injury issues, there's a good chance he will not be able to play next week. So its down to Batch and Randle El really.

ZoneBlitzer
09-20-2010, 05:15 PM
This Dixon injury concerns me especially when watching the rather innocent play that he was injured on. Looking at his frame, he looks extremely fragile. I have to wonder if this guy is a wise and stable investment or does he have an injury rating of 20 in Madden parlance?

Atlanta Dan
09-20-2010, 05:59 PM
I think you start Batch in Tampa and give Leftwich another week to heal

Until he was hurt Dixon was not playing any better yesterday than week one - once he started to run he then got hurt

Unfortunately I think Dixon has taken his last snaps in Pittsburgh - since Dixon will still be unable to play when Roethlisberger he returns I wonder how you justify keeping a roster spot open for him

Maybe you put Dixon on IR since i bet someone picks him up if you try to park him on the practice squad, but if this is his last year on his contract he may be looking elsewhere anyhow

ETL
09-20-2010, 06:03 PM
I feel bad for Dix but this may be the reason why he dropped in the draft. He may have a Pat White / Koy Detmer type frame.

tony hipchest
09-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Leftwich's injury takes 2-4 weeks to heal, knowing his past injury issues, there's a good chance he will not be able to play next week. So its down to Batch and Randle El really.not really. knowing his past injury history, theres a great chance he WILL be able to play. he is a quick healer (always ahead of schedule) and has an incredible threshold for pain.

sundays game is 3 and a half weeks after his injury.

StainlessStill
09-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Leftwhich had an extra couple days to stay off the knee and he will have a whole weeks practice to see where he's at. I don't see how Lefty wouldn't start Sunday.

LukesDad88
09-20-2010, 06:35 PM
not really. knowing his past injury history, theres a great chance he WILL be able to play. he is a quick healer (always ahead of schedule) and has an incredible threshold for pain.

sundays game is 3 and a half weeks after his injury.

Yeah, but do we want to risk Leftwich in a rather meaningless non-conference game, when we have the Ravens the next week? That game's a heck of a lot more important, and let's face it, whoever is starting this week will likely not be starting the week after...

Atlanta Dan
09-20-2010, 06:54 PM
Yeah, but do we want to risk Leftwich in a rather meaningless non-conference game, when we have the Ravens the next week? That game's a heck of a lot more important, and let's face it, whoever is starting this week will likely not be starting the week after...

Of course before he got injured the concern was whether Leftwich had enough snaps in preseason to be sharp

Getting his first regular season action against the Ravens rather than getting some reps against Tampa first might get pretty ugly

Set-Man
09-20-2010, 07:23 PM
I have always had my doubts about Arian's Comments that Dixon would break like a stick if he ran. I keep looking at that play and wonder how he could have gotten hurt by just falling down. Maybe it was on another play? The more I look at Dixon the more I think Arians is right (pains me to say that). I guess we believe what we see but the coaches know the real story (pains me to say that, too).

If Leftwich is ready start him. Tampa will be much tougher than we think and our D will be tired in the southern heat again.....

BlockMonsta
09-20-2010, 07:30 PM
His frame has nothing to do with the injury. People get hurt walking down stairs. shit happens. D. sproles is not big, he is not "broken in half"...All shapes and sizes.

mikegrimey
09-20-2010, 07:31 PM
I have always had my doubts about Arian's Comments that Dixon would break like a stick if he ran. I keep looking at that play and wonder how he could have gotten hurt by just falling down. Maybe it was on another play? The more I look at Dixon the more I think Arians is right (pains me to say that). I guess we believe what we see but the coaches know the real story (pains me to say that, too).

If Leftwich is ready start him. Tampa will be much tougher than we think and our D will be tired in the southern heat again.....

You're right that some people should probably trust the coaches judgment a bit more.

In the case of Dixon vs. Leftwich I recall a number of analysts on ESPN and other outlets remarking that Dixon would be the better choice to start at QB for the simple fact that he could scramble. Well, we still haven't seen Leftwich play this year, but from what we've seen of Dixon these analysts look absolutley looney, he in no way looked comfortable or ready to lead an NFL offense in either game, there were a couple of flashes, but a lot of cringeworthy moments too.

As for Dixon getting hurt, Arians being constantly reviled for saying he didn't want Dixon to run a lot in order to keep him safe seems silly now.