PDA

View Full Version : Edwards arrested for DUI

SteelersinCA
09-21-2010, 11:41 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5598872

New York Jets receiver Braylon Edwards was arrested on a drunken driving charge in New York early Tuesday morning.

The Jets expressed their disappointment in the receiver in a statement from general manager Mike Tannenbaum on Tuesday.

Edwards
"We are very disappointed in Braylon's actions this morning. The Player Protect program is in place for our organization to prevent this situation. Braylon is aware of this program and showed poor judgment," Tannenbaum said.

SteelersinCA
09-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Can I get a mod to actually change it to arrested for DUI, I like to be accurate. He hasn't been charged yet.

steelax04
09-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Any bets on what Mr. Goodell does?

vasteeler
09-21-2010, 11:57 AM

give the pats an extra draft pick and suspend ben 2 more games

MasterOfPuppets
09-21-2010, 11:58 AM
i'm sueing on behalf of edwards for slander. :popcorn:

floodcitygirl
09-21-2010, 12:45 PM
give the pats an extra draft pick and suspend ben 2 more gamesGood one! :sofunny:

SteelKnight
09-21-2010, 06:33 PM

IDK. What's the policy? I remember Ronnie Brown had one earlier this offseason and I heard nothing about it from Goodell.

steeltheone
09-21-2010, 09:05 PM
This guy is a fool. How does a million dollar athlete get a DUI?

Atlanta Dan
09-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Despite his arrest, the Jets said that Edwards would play in the team’s next game, Sunday night against the Dolphins in Miami, but that he would not start. How long he plays will be up to the coaches, and that decision will be made at the end of the week.

“It’s something we’re really upset about,” General Manager Mike Tannenbaum said Tuesday night in a telephone interview. “It’s something we don’t pay lip service to.”

Yeah - Jets are incensed - not starting Edwards certainly sends a message:mad:

And arguing with the cop that pulls you over always works:chuckle:

In court, Alyssa L. Gunther, an assistant district attorney, described the back-and-forth between Edwards and his arresting officer, Armando Urbina.

Edwards said he was coming from a party and had consumed “a couple drinks.” He asked why the officer had not performed a sobriety test, because that was how “they do it in Michigan,” where Edwards is from. The Breathalyzer test registered 0.16, the complaint said.

Under league rules, Edwards cannot be suspended for his first offense of driving under the influence. Such transgressions fall under the N.F.L.’s substance-abuse policy, and unless Edwards had a previous violation, he is subject to no more than a $50,000 fine and whatever happens in court.

But given Goodell's ever flexible definition of what dishonors The Shield, this additional factor might buy Edwards a suspension when a DWI alone would not

Then there is the issue of Edwards’s assault arrest in Cleveland last October, when he allegedly punched a friend of LeBron James shortly before the Browns traded him to the Jets. Edwards pleaded no contest and was placed on probation last January. His Tuesday arrest could constitute a violation of his parole.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/22/sports/football/22jets.html?_r=1&ref=sports

STEELtownHAVOX
09-21-2010, 10:22 PM
I find it ironic that two years ago at his birthday party, Donte Stallworth did the same thing, except killed a guy. Braylon, you didn't learn your lesson from Stallworth? As ESPN says, C'Mon man!

STEELtownHAVOX
09-21-2010, 10:23 PM
oh, and cut that ghey beard scissorhands

steelerohio
09-21-2010, 11:31 PM
Why can't he rent a limo?

Atlanta Dan
09-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Why can't he rent a limo?

Rent? :toofunny:

All he needed to do was call and get one for free courtesy of the Jets

While some will use Edwards’s arrest as another example of the Jets’ fraternity gone wild, it spotlighted a team-sponsored program that could have prevented it. When Edwards left a charity event hosted by receiver Jerricho Cotchery on Monday and drove off with his teammates D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Vernon Gholston, he declined to use a program available to all Jets called Player Protect.

Paid for by the Jets, the program provides 24-hour security and drivers. Former law-enforcement officers are available with a telephone call, as are sport utility vehicles, limousines and vans, each with satellite television, radio and navigation, DVD players and iPod ports.

The Jets distributed leaflets describing the program to every player.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/22/sports/football/22jets.html?_r=1&ref=sports

The NFL can try to guide these guys, but as we know all too well given our current franchise QB's situation, morons will be morons

steelerohio
09-21-2010, 11:52 PM
well well... he's a dummy then... :doh:

I was unaware of the Player Protect program... thanks for the info... and again, what a dummy...

SteelCityMom
09-22-2010, 12:30 AM
I was unaware of that program as well. That makes him an even bigger moron.

I'm very big against drunk driving to begin with, and it's just stupid to think that people who have a ton of money or other options at their disposal are still willing to risk the lives of others, and their own.

IMO, this should be a bigger deal under the "personal conduct policy". In my eyes, anyone who drives around over the legal limit is guilty of attempted murder and should be punished as such. Slaps on the wrist aren't going to get people (especially wealthy people) to stop doing this.

tony hipchest
09-22-2010, 12:31 AM
Paid for by the Jets, the program provides 24-hour security and drivers. Former law-enforcement officers are available with a telephone call, as are sport utility vehicles, limousines and vans, each with satellite television, radio and navigation, DVD players and iPod ports.

no word on whether those whips are outfitted with 26" or 28" rims. :doh:

(you dont expect these guys to ride in something with factory wheels, do you?)

good news is he didnt blow off his dick with his gat slipping out of the waistband of his sean john sweats.

zulater
09-22-2010, 06:28 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5601080

NEW YORK -- Braylon Edwards will dress when the New York Jets play at Miami Sunday night, but he will not start after being charged with driving while intoxicated on Tuesday.
"In light of the facts as we have them, [coach] Rex [Ryan], [owner] Woody [Johnson] and I have decided he will not start," Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said. "He will dress, he will play at some point. When, we don't know. This is an area we pour a lot of organizational resources into. We're very disappointed in what happened."

That'll teach him!

that's sarcasm by the way. :coffee:

floodcitygirl
09-22-2010, 11:39 AM
I still don't get how being questioned by police but not being charged or arrested is so defaming to the reputation of the NFL that a player gets a 6 game suspension but actually BEING charged and arrested....and even convicted, warrants nothing?! Not saying our QB isn't stupid but...... :noidea:

jjpro11
09-22-2010, 12:26 PM
I still don't get how being questioned by police but not being charged or arrested is so defaming to the reputation of the NFL that a player gets a 6 game suspension but actually BEING charged and arrested....and even convicted, warrants nothing?! Not saying our QB isn't stupid but...... :noidea:

because in the NFL judicial system, a drunk w hore's words have more merit than both a police officer's and the court of law.

BlackAndGold4Ever
09-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Goddell better inpose some sort of penalty in this case, espically if hes convicted. Ben was never even charged and he got a four game suspension. Edwards obviously didnt learn from his buddy Stallwoth who shows no remorse for his actions either

Atlanta Dan
09-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Goddell better inpose some sort of penalty in this case, espically if hes convicted. Ben was never even charged and he got a four game suspension. Edwards obviously didnt learn from his buddy Stallwoth who shows no remorse for his actions either

It is a matter of the CBA with the union - use and/or abuse of recreational drugs such as alcohol is not subject to a suspension for a first offense even with a conviction - it is why Santonio (It's Time To Wake & Bake":chuckle:) Holmes was not suspended for being pulled over for possesion in October 2008 but had to wait to test positive again during this past off-season before gettimng 4 weeks off. Of course Tomlin sat Santonio for the Giants game after the 2008 arrest whereas Edwards "discipline" consists of not starting

Stallworth was suspended because he ran a man over, not becuase of what he had in his system when he did it

Goodell may be able to get Edwards not for the DWI itself but for the DWI constituting a violation of the terms of his probation for beating up LeBron's friend in Cleveland.

It would be simple enough to make a conviction or arrest for any alleged criminal conduct , including DWI or illegal drug posession, grounds for suspension but you would need to change the CBA

SteelCityKing
09-22-2010, 05:22 PM
it's SO weird that people are more concerned with how it's going to affect his playing time versus how dangerous and irresponsible a DUI actually is.

suspended for 1 or 2 games? violating the leagues substance abuse policy? violating the personal conduct policy? -- how about being an irresponsible member of society and factor in his alercation from last year that the guy has a pattern of being reckless and a danger to himself and others.

don't get me wrong, what Ben Roethlisberger did was infact despicable, but his incident had ramifications of jail time and being chastized by the league, the sport, and the city. Vick is now hot sh*t being a starter in Philadelphia and what he did was down right ignoratn. now Edwards gets caught drinking and driving and people just want to talk about his playing time. treat him like a citizen and charge him accordingly, please.

sorry. just a rant.

SteelKnight
09-22-2010, 05:58 PM
sorry...just a test. I see now. the D word and S word are ok but C (bird) and SLU--T are not. LOL

I bet you he gets benched for just one drive. lol Ryan needs to win. lol

Atlanta Dan
09-22-2010, 06:29 PM
it's SO weird that people are more concerned with how it's going to affect his playing time versus how dangerous and irresponsible a DUI actually is.

suspended for 1 or 2 games? violating the leagues substance abuse policy? violating the personal conduct policy? -- how about being an irresponsible member of society and factor in his alercation from last year that the guy has a pattern of being reckless and a danger to himself and others.

sorry. just a rant.

Walk me through why it is weird a site that is established to discuss the NFL in general and the Steelers in particular would focus on whether the punishment handed out to a player for a DWI beyond that which the legal system administers is appropriate

Lots of folks are reckless to themselves and others - the only reason this incident is news, let alone made it on this board, is because it involves a NFL player and the issue of how his team and the league office deals with it, a point of some interest to fans of a team that had its franchise QB (who has been at least a complete jerk) suspended for 4 games without even a criminal charge being brought

Nobody is defending drunk driving, but if you want a discussion that is more focused on a general analysis of the dangers of DWI you are more likely to find it at this site

http://www.madd.org/

Not intended to be a diss on you - just a response that I do not think the focus of our discussions regarding Edwards actions is misplaced let alone weird:drink:

SteelersinCA
09-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Nobody is defending drunk driving, but if you want a discussion that is more focused on a general analysis of the dangers of DWI you are more likely to find it at this site

www.getMadd.com is a less propaganda and kool-aid driven website about DUI statistics.

Shea
09-23-2010, 12:14 AM
He blew a .16 - I wonder how many drinks that actually is?

I'm guessing, but I think he would probably have appeared to be intoxicated and there turns out to be four other people in the car when he was pulled over. Other Jets players too.

Just seems to be nothing but stupid and more stupid coming out about the whole ordeal.

MasterOfPuppets
09-23-2010, 12:24 AM
sorry...just a test. I see now. the D word and S word are ok but C (bird) and SLU--T are not. LOL
l
Cardinal ? you can say cardinal....:noidea:

floodcitygirl
09-23-2010, 01:05 AM
Walk me through why it is weird a site that is established to discuss the NFL in general and the Steelers in particular would focus on whether the punishment handed out to a player for a DWI beyond that which the legal system administers is appropriate

Lots of folks are reckless to themselves and others - the only reason this incident is news, let alone made it on this board, is because it involves a NFL player and the issue of how his team and the league office deals with it, a point of some interest to fans of a team that had its franchise QB (who has been at least a complete jerk) suspended for 4 games without even a criminal charge being brought

Not intended to be a diss on you - just a response that I do not think the focus of our discussions regarding Edwards actions is misplaced let alone weird:drink:I couldn't agree more. I thought this discussion seems very appropriate for the NFL forum. My guess is a discussion about the dangers of DWI would be better suited for the Locker Room.

I guess in my mind the comparison is rather stunning between Ben and any number of other NFL players that have been in trouble with the law. It seems that the decision to suspend Ben was based on what negative image his actions portray to the public. It seems that some players can actually be charged and arrested and in some cases convicted, yet aren't being held to that standard.

Atlanta Dan
09-23-2010, 07:50 AM
The contrast between how Tomlin handled Holmes 2008 arrest (charges were dropped but pending at the time of Tomlin's decision) and the Jets are handling Edwards arrest is being noted

The team, fearful of arbitration with the players union, hid behind N.F.L. rules in not benching Edwards, even though Edwards said Wednesday that he would have supported any disciplinary action.

General Manager Mike Tannenbaum said that Edwards could not waive his rights to accept a suspension by the team.

In a similar situation, Pittsburgh suspended receiver Santonio Holmes, with Coach Mike Tomlin saying, “I’m not concerned” with potential arbitration.

Holmes, acquired by the Jets in the off-season, has missed two games and will miss the next two while suspended for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/23/sports/football/23jets.html?_r=1&ref=sports

tony hipchest
09-23-2010, 09:48 AM
The contrast between how Tomlin handled Holmes 2008 arrest (charges were dropped but pending at the time of Tomlin's decision) and the Jets are handling Edwards arrest is being noted

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/23/sports/football/23jets.html?_r=1&ref=sports

sal paolantonio was just on the radio talking about this, calling tomlin an exceptional leader of men.

steelers were facing a national televised game against the SB champs, in the midst of one of the most brutal schedules in memory. there was really no room for error if the playoffs were a goal.

tomlin threw all that out the window, and benched holmes. he wasnt suspended or fined. he didnt lose a game check. he was just "inactive" to get his head straight.

that galvanized the team, who went on to win about 12 of their next 13 and the superbowl. holmes supposedly matured, got his act right, gave up the wacky tobaccy, and earned SB MVP award.

theres a reason the steelers have won 6 trophies since the jets won their 1st and only one.

rex ryan is a nutless monkey on this one.

SteelersinCA
09-23-2010, 11:42 AM
He blew a .16 - I wonder how many drinks that actually is?

I'm guessing, but I think he would probably have appeared to be intoxicated and there turns out to be four other people in the car when he was pulled over. Other Jets players too.

Just seems to be nothing but stupid and more stupid coming out about the whole ordeal.

For a 6-3 214 lb man, that's about 8-10 bud lights or shots in his system at the time of the test.

Atlanta Dan
09-23-2010, 01:10 PM
holmes supposedly matured, got his act right, gave up the wacky tobaccy, and earned SB MVP award..

Well - maybe he gave up getting baked for the rest of the 2008 season? :chuckle:

By 2010 (after a 2009 season where Holmes apparently reverted to his default attitude of being a pain in the a**) Santonio was inhaling enough to test positive and draw a 4 week suspension while sending out twitter messages that it was "time to wake and bake"

twitter.com/santonio10/status/11365247589

Tomlin tried to straighten Holmes out - IMO the Seelers decided that with a 4 games suspension to start 2010 and Holmes presumably being a probable malcontent without a new contract that they would give Holmes away since there already was enough drama associated with the suspension of #7

Once a player gets on Tomlin's sh** list I do not think it is easy to get off of it