PDA

View Full Version : 2011 offseason nightmare is coming true

steelerchad
09-21-2010, 03:02 PM
If the Steelers defense continues on the way it has started they have major issues trying to get everybody signed.

With Woodley, Timmons, Polamalu, and Taylor all needing deals it will be near impossible to sign them all.

1. Timmons looks like he has finally reached his potential and will have his breakout year just in time to break the bank.

2. I was convinced the Steelers may let Harrison and the 3 years left on his huge contract walk to make room to resign Woodley. I thought they may let one of the new rookies take that spot next year. (Worilds, Gibson) But, James' play in the first 2 games is looking every bit as good as the last 2 years and maybe better. He may be irreplaceable.

3. Ike gets a bad rap for bad hands. But he does a pretty darn good job of taking away other teams #1 receivers. He rarely gets beat deep and almost never gives up a big day to a receiver.

4. Polamalu can't go anywhere. He may be the most valuable defensive player in the league. You can't let this guy walk.

Next offseason could be tough, but for this season it could be a nice problem to have.

DanRooney
09-21-2010, 03:06 PM
If the Steelers defense continues on the way it has started they have major issues trying to get everybody signed.

With Woodley, Timmons, Polamalu, and Taylor all needing deals it will be near impossible to sign them all.

1. Timmons looks like he has finally reached his potential and will have his breakout year just in time to break the bank.

2. I was convinced the Steelers may let Harrison and the 3 years left on his huge contract walk to make room to resign Woodley. I thought they may let one of the new rookies take that spot next year. (Worilds, Gibson) But, James' play in the first 2 games is looking every bit as good as the last 2 years and maybe better. He may be irreplaceable.

3. Ike gets a bad rap for bad hands. But he does a pretty darn good job of taking away other teams #1 receivers. He rarely gets beat deep and almost never gives up a big day to a receiver.

4. Polamalu can't go anywhere. He may be the most valuable defensive player in the league. You can't let this guy walk.

Next offseason could be tough, but for this season it could be a nice problem to have.

I believe I was the one of the only people who called that.

Harrison was dinged up for the last half of the season last year and was still playing like a top tier OLB. He's a monster and will be playing at this level for years to come. There has not been a drop off in his game whatsoever.

PhantomJB93
09-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Please, Steelers, just give up the "self imposed cap" and get all these guys signed...I dont think we can afford to let any of them walk without seeing a MAJOR dropoff in defensive production...

Fire Arians
09-21-2010, 06:41 PM
I believe I was the one of the only people who called that.

Harrison was dinged up for the last half of the season last year and was still playing like a top tier OLB. He's a monster and will be playing at this level for years to come. There has not been a drop off in his game whatsoever.

he's 32 but he started his career late, so his body doesn't have the same wear and tear an average 32 year old linebacker in the NFL would have. he still has a lot of mileage left, the age number can be deceiving in this case (same reason why marcus allen was able to play running back until age 37)

i agree with you all though, i was also worried about this. we have too many good players especially on defense to sign them all.

MasterOfPuppets
09-21-2010, 07:02 PM
don't forget about colon ... he's only on a 1 year deal.

mikegrimey
09-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Out of all the potential FA you listed Taylor will be the easiest to keep. He has always been a Steeler and realistically isn't going to get any better than he is right now, his last contract would have been the chance to sign for big money.

As for the rest, Polamalu is the most irreplaceable, the Steelers will spare no expense in letting him go, that's something I'm certain of.

I think Woodley would be nice to resign but is the most likely to be let go, which is just the way of the business, he's played good enough to get a big contract and the Steelers may or may not have the resources to give it to him. It would be sad to see him go, he has quickly become an excellent OLB, but we will overcome his loss if it happens.

steeltheone
09-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Keyaron fox contract is up also. They need to see if he will be ready to take over for Farrior.

lionslicer
09-21-2010, 09:42 PM
And everyone said I was crazy when I said an uncapped year wont change anything...

The big 4 players on defense are in the spotlight, but there are many players who's contracts expire this year.
I would say some people would take a "hometown" pay cut, like Suggs did for the Ravens, but Lewis refused to do it, and I always thought he was someone who was dedicated to his city, he clearly could care less. I'm having doubts about some Steeler plays and their "hometown" glory.

tony hipchest
09-21-2010, 10:15 PM
And everyone said I was crazy when I said an uncapped year wont change anything...

The big 4 players on defense are in the spotlight, but there are many players who's contracts expire this year.
I would say some people would take a "hometown" pay cut, like Suggs did for the Ravens, but Lewis refused to do it, and I always thought he was someone who was dedicated to his city, he clearly could care less. I'm having doubts about some Steeler plays and their "hometown" glory.im gonna need direct links of "everybody" saying you were crazy, in order to believe it, otherwise i think you are greatly exaggerating for melodramatic effect.

however this figment of your imagination may not be too far off base.

the salary cap really changes nothing. we had a cap in 05, 08, and the steelers are operating as if there were a cap in place today.

this situation is really no different from when big ben, faneca, and polamalu were all up for contracts in the same year.

most will stay, 1 or 2 will go.

if there is a cap it will go up. players like smith and ward may retire (or be asked to "give to the cause").

lionslicer
09-21-2010, 10:41 PM
im gonna need direct links of "everybody" saying you were crazy, in order to believe it, otherwise i think you are greatly exaggerating for melodramatic effect.

however this figment of your imagination may not be too far off base.

the salary cap really changes nothing. we had a cap in 05, 08, and the steelers are operating as if there were a cap in place today.

this situation is really no different from when big ben, faneca, and polamalu were all up for contracts in the same year.

most will stay, 1 or 2 will go.

if there is a cap it will go up. players like smith and ward may retire (or be asked to "give to the cause").

Yea thanks I'm crazy. The site keeps freezing when I attempt to search for posts so just take my word on that a couple big posters here had a heated arguement with me about the salary cap, and then when I had the idea that the Steelers would set their own Salary cap (which they later did), I was bombarded with "you're a retard" and similar comments, I left the forum for a good 6 months, occasionally stopping by.

Mr. Goosemahn
09-21-2010, 11:09 PM

Where are you guys getting this info from?

Next year, neither Timmons nor Polamalu are free agents, they're free agents until 2012.

Per Rotoworld:

Timmons: 7/22/2007: Signed a five-year, $12 million contract. The deal includes $8.053 million guaranteed. Another $3 million is available through incentives. 2009: $460,000, 2010: $550,000, 2011: $650,000, 2012: Free Agent

Polamalu: 7/23/2007: Signed a five-year, $33 million contract. The deal contains $15.375 million guaranteed, including a $10.975 million signing bonus. 2009: $2.9 million, 2010: $6.1 million, 2011: $6.4 million, 2012: Free Agent

I know the team likes to sign guys a year before their contract runs out, but there's more time for Polamalu and Timmons to be resigned.

Woodley will be a free agent, but depending on how the new Collective Bargaining Agreement is created, there's a small chance he'll be a restricted free agent, though not likely.

Taylor is a free agent, though.

The way I see it, if Woodley and the team can't come to terms, there's always the franchise tag or transition tag, which ensures that Woodley will remain on the team, and earning a pretty penny too.

Taylor will probably stay on the team, he's our #1 corner and I don't think he'd be very expensive (compared to other #1 CBs).

Other free agents include Willie Colon (who will want a significant raise), Jeff Reed, Dixon (restricted), and a couple others.

The 2012 summer is the one we should be afraid of, not the 2011 one. Troy Polamalu, Lawrence Timmons, Aaron Smith, and Mike Wallace are all set to become free agents that summer, as well as other less important players such as Keenan Lewis.

steeltheone
09-22-2010, 10:25 AM
The only way Smith comes back is a major reduction in pay. 6.6 mil this year. We need the money for the younger players.

SteelCityKing
09-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Keyaron fox contract is up also. They need to see if he will be ready to take over for Farrior.

Keyaron Fox is one of the most underrated and probably one of my favorite players on that team. yes, over the starters. but he is SO good on special teams. i'd resign Fox, Troy, Woodley for sure. Ike can go if Townsend can go, too. word.

steeltheone
09-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Keyaron Fox is one of the most underrated and probably one of my favorite players on that team. yes, over the starters. but he is SO good on special teams. i'd resign Fox, Troy, Woodley for sure. Ike can go if Townsend can go, too. word.

Fox should be getting more time now. Bringing in slow ass Larry Foote does nothing but provide good backup, which is needed. But we need to get Fox ready for next year.