PDA

View Full Version : Do the officials really favor the Steelers?

cloppbeast
09-22-2010, 11:06 AM
I've been reading forums of other teams recently, notably the Titans and Ravens, and I've noticed a common theme: everybody seems to think the refs favor the Steelers. My dad, who happens to a Colts fan, has the same opinion. He often says the Steelers have five Super Bowls and one "Ref" Bowl, SB 40 being the "Ref" Bowl. Frankly, I'm surprised he doesn't consider SB 43 a "Ref" Bowl as well, because I remember a lot of people complaining about the flags against Arizona.

Most of these people are haters, and are just pissed because the Steelers won, but I wonder if there is any truth to this statement since so many people talk about it. I'm not one for conspiracy theories or anything, but......

Personally, I really only ever notice and can remember bad calls against the Steelers, but I know I watch games through black and gold glasses. What is your opinion on the matter? Do the officials really favor the Steelers?

I for one don't think so. For every favorable call the Steelers get, it seems they get ripped off on one too.

theplatypus
09-22-2010, 11:15 AM
I seriously doubt it, bad calls happen to every team. Personally what I believe is that we are in the playoffs and nationaly televised so much it just seems that an inordinate amount of calls go our way.

joeyssteelcurtain
09-22-2010, 11:33 AM
I say if anything it feels like we get all the bad calls

SteeleReign
09-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Yeah, I agree with Platypus. I'm sure if the SB40 calls were called the other way I would have been livid, but that doesn't mean that there was any conspiracy. They were judgement calls that just happened to go our way.

In any sport, there will always be an element of the fan base that believes the "top dogs" get special treatment....i.e. - Michael Jordan, Ovechkin, the Yanks, etc...there is no way to prove or disprove this accusation. Just consider it an honor.

steeltheone
09-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Always part of being a winner!

kiuaswarrior
09-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Most of these people are haters, and are just pissed because the Steelers won

Haters, haters & haters is my excuse.

zsheik22
09-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Does your dad complain about the refs in the playoff game against the colts in 05? The refs were the only reason the game was remotely close and tried to give the game to the colts.

They overturned an INT that was clearly an INT and let the colts right back into the game. It was so obvious they even had to give an " Oops, our bad!" after it.

Not to mention you get flagged for even looking at manning the wrong way while Big Ben gets jacked up all sunday long.

fer522
09-22-2010, 02:34 PM
loser always complain and that's the bottom line

Fire Arians
09-22-2010, 04:02 PM
hell no. they favor the colts and patriots more than anyone. tuck rule brady and taking away troy's INT on manning in 2005 is all the proof you need.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/stormangel1/cheaters.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/stormangel1/cheaters2.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/stormangel1/cheaters3.jpg

stb_steeler
09-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Sure they favor the Steelers, why do you think they win so much....:naughty:

scsteeler
09-22-2010, 05:55 PM
I've been reading forums of other teams recently, notably the Titans and Ravens, and I've noticed a common theme: everybody seems to think the refs favor the Steelers. My dad, who happens to a Colts fan, has the same opinion. He often says the Steelers have five Super Bowls and one "Ref" Bowl, SB 40 being the "Ref" Bowl. Frankly, I'm surprised he doesn't consider SB 43 a "Ref" Bowl as well, because I remember a lot of people complaining about the flags against Arizona.

Most of these people are haters, and are just pissed because the Steelers won, but I wonder if there is any truth to this statement since so many people talk about it. I'm not one for conspiracy theories or anything, but......

Personally, I really only ever notice and can remember bad calls against the Steelers, but I know I watch games through black and gold glasses. What is your opinion on the matter? Do the officials really favor the Steelers?

I for one don't think so. For every favorable call the Steelers get, it seems they get ripped off on one too.

If that were true we should be in the SB every year and have about 15 or more Trophy's. For anyone to think the Ref's favor the Steelers is crazy I have seen calls go for the Steelers and against the Steelers and as far as the RatBirds they just mad cause The Steelers have been kIcking their butts on a regular and we stopped them from going to the SB.

I guess they Say the Ref wrongly gave Troy the INT to win the game in the AFC Championship. It is amazing how they remember the Flags for us but never the ones against us or the no calls such as the RatBirds hitting Ben int he back and not being flagged for it.

Those little Crying Bit$#ES should just play football and get over it.

mikegrimey
09-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Does your dad complain about the refs in the playoff game against the colts in 05? The refs were the only reason the game was remotely close and tried to give the game to the colts.

They overturned an INT that was clearly an INT and let the colts right back into the game. It was so obvious they even had to give an " Oops, our bad!" after it.

Not to mention you get flagged for even looking at manning the wrong way while Big Ben gets jacked up all sunday long.

I can grant you that the overturned INT was an atroscious call but you have no evidence that it was part of a referee conspiracy to give the colts more chances to win.

As for your last statment that you can get flagged for "looking at manning the wrong way while Ben gets jacked up all sunday long" did you watch the divisonal championship game against the Colts in 05? Ben stayed cleant he whole game and Manning was on his back and, maybe I am wrong, but I don't remember a single unecessary rougheness or roughing the passer penalty called.

mikegrimey
09-22-2010, 06:46 PM
I'd also like to add that from my epxerience every fan seems to feel their team gets the screws when it comes to the officiating. The truth is every team has bad calls go against them, it's part of the game unfortrunately. Yet these Ravens fans claiming they get more bad calls against them than the Steelers do, or these Steelers fans claiming that the steelers are always the ones getting the shaft have no proof really, they just bitch and moan about every bad call they can remember.

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-22-2010, 07:18 PM
You should tell your dad and Colts friends about how MIke Tomlin and the Rooneys had to go before Goodell and MIke Piera to complain about the total lack of holding calls (as far as the poor saps that get stuck with the Silverback & Woodley duties), even going so far as to bring actually tapes with them as proof....

Can anybody find the Post-Gazette articles on it? I can't recall how long ago that was....I think was last offseason.

Lamarr Woodley and SIlverback get held, choked, clotheslined, and straight-up tackled on almost evey play, yet you NEVER see any flags being thrown for holding.

The NFL Officiating committee reviews every call from every game, especialy the contentious ones like SB XL, and they issued an official apology for the Polamalu interception that was overturned in the 2005 playoff run against the Colts, but they have not backed out on ANY of the calls in SB XL (despite the head ref's recent revelations about how he feels guilty for the SB XP calls, NFL Officiating Committee chief, Mike Piera weighed in on the matter and basically told him to STFU--they were all valid calls) .