PDA

View Full Version : Arrington release, why not?

Sharkissle29
03-06-2006, 06:35 PM
imagine the emotion on the defense with LaVar Arrington and Joey Porter at the linebacker position. LaVar gave up money to become a free agent so money shouldnt be an issue with him. we might be able to get him for a cheap price bc the Redskins really kept away from his potential. Arrington would add more depth to the LB position, something that we need...and imagine the intensity Arrington and Porter on one defense. LOOK OUT!

just my .02

Atlanta Dan
03-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Redskin coaches said Arrington was out of control, being either unwilling to learn how or unable to stay in position on defense.

Given the complexity and discipline required for the Steelers' 3-4 (I thought Troy was a bust in 2003 because a player as smart as him still took a year to learn the defense), Arrington would be a major disappointment in Black & Gold.

Sharkissle29
03-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Redskin coaches said Arrington was out of control, being either unwilling to learn how or unable to stay in position on defense.

Given the complexity and discipline required for the Steelers' 3-4 (I thought Troy was a bust in 2003 because a player as smart as him still took a year to learn the defense), Arrington would be a major disappointment in Black & Gold.
maybe true, but couldnt you see cowher putting him on the right track? gibbs sure isnt intimitading. but you might be right, he may not be smart enough for the job

Atlanta Dan
03-06-2006, 07:02 PM
I agree that Arrington is a great natural talent, but after being indulged by JoePa at Penn State the worst thing that could have happened to him was going to a team that changed coaches as often as the Redskins did until Gibbs arrived.

Arrington may have figured he would do what worked for him because the defensive scheme changed so often, but I am afraid after 6 years in the league he can be someone else's reclamation project (like the Raiders).

83-Steelers-43
03-06-2006, 07:27 PM
Money.

Suitanim
03-06-2006, 07:47 PM
I see him as a 6 game player...he'd get all fired up for about the first 6 games, then revert back to his Redskins form, bellyaching and complaining and grandstanding.

Nope.

STEELERDYNASTY
03-06-2006, 07:58 PM
lets see, Lavar Arrington or Larry Foote.....

I would LOVE ARRINGTON on our defense!!!!!

I.C. Lights
03-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Yeah, if Cowher couldn't set him straight, Porter probably could. Plus, there'd be an understanding that he has no room for antics. I'd say this looks good if we could sign him for a short-term K.

BigDude66687
03-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Lol that would b like bringing in TO, between Arrrington and TO i'd choose TO cause TO is a difference maker

3 to be 4
03-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Id take Jill Arrington anyday, shes a hottie!

pittsburgh$teelersfan
03-06-2006, 08:39 PM
I would love to have lavar starting over larry foote.

Sharkissle29
03-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Lol that would b like bringing in TO, between Arrrington and TO i'd choose TO cause TO is a difference maker
umm that would be nothing like bringing in TO

Ambridge
03-06-2006, 10:15 PM
maybe true, but couldnt you see cowher putting him on the right track? gibbs sure isnt intimitading. but you might be right, he may not be smart enough for the job

Supposedly Gibbs is pretty firm with the discipline and that's why Lavar didn't get a lot playing time even when he was healthy this past season.

Lavar wanted to do things his own way out on the field and that's when Gibbs and Williams showed him where the bench was.

tony hipchest
03-06-2006, 10:18 PM
lavar over larry??? does anyone realize that arrington will be one of the highest priced free agents in this off season. ive heard plenty of people call for joey porters head because of his miniscule 4.5 mil contract. and hes part of the heartbeat of the steelers. if you think lavar would like to play for his hometown on the cheap, think again, hes been there and done that in highschool. if lavar would take a cheaper deal than foote than im all for it. thats not happening though.

what the hell is wrong with foote?

lank81
03-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Actually if we could ever bring Lavar in to the mix I would start him over Clark Haggans rather than Larry Foote. Foote does his job and he plays hard. Clark Haggans besides the New England game and the Super Bowl due to everyone worrying about Joey and Kimo and 3 guys needing to block Casey he was one on one with a medicore at best Tackle. Haggans is paid too much, gets hurt all the time and doesn't even play close to what his supposed "potential" is. Foote has improved, but still is not outstanding with his tackling. He's made some great plays at times and has been way more productive over the entire season than Haggans. I think he has done well with our scheme and will improve year in and year out. Is he a Farrior, No. A Porter, No, even though Joey shows up in spurts. Talk to Lavar, maybe even offer Lavar a contract. Duce whined and complained when benched at Philly, but took a paycut and sat the bench for the Steelers. Everyone talked about Quicy's work ethic and his whining at times and he came in to the mold and fit right in as if he was always a Steeler. The SteelCity changes people, maybe not TO, but Lavar I think would do fine. Go Steelers!

Petesburgh66
03-07-2006, 12:29 AM
Lavar wants another big pay day. Nor do I expect the Steelers to waste any cap room money on a LB while they have other spots to fill. So no Lavar in Pittsburgh.

schoondog
03-07-2006, 12:55 AM
lavar over larry??? does anyone realize that arrington will be one of the highest priced free agents in this off season. ive heard plenty of people call for joey porters head because of his miniscule 4.5 mil contract. and hes part of the heartbeat of the steelers. if you think lavar would like to play for his hometown on the cheap, think again, hes been there and done that in highschool. if lavar would take a cheaper deal than foote than im all for it. thats not happening though.

what the hell is wrong with foote?

there is no way laVar is becoming a steeler, He just gave up 4 plus million to get out of washington he's going to sign a big contract somewhere to get that money back more likely in the nfc east as he as said he wants to go back to washington once a year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2355921

DIESELMAN
03-07-2006, 01:26 AM
I see him as a 6 game player...he'd get all fired up for about the first 6 games, then revert back to his Redskins form, bellyaching and complaining and grandstanding.

Nope.

Nothing Porter and company couldn't handle to set him straight.....can you imagine Polamalu flying off the top of the goalpost drop kicking Arrington in the head?A few times would do the trick then it would be "Yes Sir Mr Porter...Whatever you say Mr Porter...I'll stay in my lanes Mr Porter!!!....LOL

Suitanim
03-07-2006, 07:59 AM
Yup, he turned down 4.4 mil from a contending team. Take LA off the Steelers board...there's no chance of this happening.

rowedf
03-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Arrington has always said it's been his dream forever to play for the Steelers. But, in no way do I see him fitting on this team, as a matter of fact, I don't see him fitting in on most teams. Arrington is a free lancer, he roams the field and does what he wants. He's an excellent talent and a great athlete, but as a linebacker in the NFL, you need to play your defensive scheme, not just do what you think is best.

SalukiSteelers
03-07-2006, 01:32 PM
I can't remember which player said it, but I heard Arrington's nickname is "Half-right." I guess he's only right on what he thinks the defensive play is half the time. While he's still a dangerous and athletic linebacker, I don't think he could grasp LeBeau's complex system. Wonder what Arrington got on the Wonderlic?

Atlanta Dan
03-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Good Arrington article by Wilbon.

Wilbon is an Arrington fan anad believes he could have been an all-time great, but notes the constant coaching turnover and Arrington's problems with both Marvin Lewis and the current coaches as indicating Arrington has issues.

Wilbon has Arrington going to Dallas, which makes sense to me.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/06/AR2006030601641.html

mopit55
03-07-2006, 02:38 PM
yeah , see lavar with steelers must be awesome but linebacker is not the first trade or pick

Ohio Steeler
03-07-2006, 02:42 PM
I would take him in a min, if he really wants to come here I just question if he is 100%

mopit55
03-07-2006, 02:46 PM
if he has a lot of injury it's a good question (kendrell bell)

83-Steelers-43
03-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Where exactly would we get the money to see sign this guy? We are barely going to get by signing the guys we need to sign that are currently on our roster.

Once again, with the exception of Duce (still waiting to see if he can play a full season) and Farrior, how many big name FA's have we went out and picked up over the years? I'm willing to bet the bank we don't go out and sign any of these guys. The majority of the names mentioned in the past, I'm not even sure I would take even if we had the money.

mopit55
03-07-2006, 02:56 PM
can he plays mlb? because joey and clark are at outside , sure we've need a middle linebacker for substitute larry and arrington wants a lot of money.if he wants to become a steeler yes

tony hipchest
03-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Where exactly would we get the money to see sign this guy? We are barely going to get by signing the guys we need to sign that are currently on our roster.

Once again, with the exception of Duce (still waiting to see if he can play a full season) and Farrior, how many big name FA's have we went out and picked up over the years? I'm willing to bet the bank we don't go out and sign any of these guys. The majority of the names mentioned in the past, I'm not even sure I would take even if we had the money.

but didnt we get farrior dirt cheap? like about a million a year and then i think after 2 years we extended him and paid him what hes worth. these are the types of deals im looking for the steelers to try and find.

Sharkissle29
03-07-2006, 03:15 PM
im just trying to imagine our LBs if we did get him......farrior....porter...arrington....haggans/foote.......how dangerous and intimitading would that be. plus the troy back there....but maybe im just dreaming

83-Steelers-43
03-07-2006, 03:21 PM
but didnt we get farrior dirt cheap? like about a million a year and then i think after 2 years we extended him and paid him what hes worth. these are the types of deals im looking for the steelers to try and find.

If you can get the guy dirt cheap, then I would have no problem. When we signed Farrior, did he really establish himself as a well known LB before he played in Pittsburgh? If anything, I recall that the Jets were disappointed in his play. That's why we got Farrior at a cheap price for the most part.

Arrington on the other hand, is the total opposite in my opinion. We won't be as lucky. Then again, I don't see why we have to change anything at the LB position this year. They must be doing something right back there, we did just win the Super Bowl. We can always draft a LB this year or next year to fill a spot if and when we need to. In my opinion, there are other positions on this team right now that we should be putting more focus towards.

tony hipchest
03-07-2006, 04:24 PM
If you can get the guy dirt cheap, then I would have no problem. When we signed Farrior, did he really establish himself as a well known LB before he played in Pittsburgh? If anything, I recall that the Jets were disappointed in his play. That's why we got Farrior at a cheap price for the most part.

Arrington on the other hand, is the total opposite in my opinion. We won't be as lucky. Then again, I don't see why we have to change anything at the LB position this year. They must be doing something right back there, we did just win the Super Bowl. We can always draft a stud LB this year or next year to fill a spot if and when we need to. In my opinion, there are other positions on this team right now that we should be putting more focus towards. totally agree. like i said earlier in this thread - whats wrong with foote? if it aint broke dont try to fix it. it is the steelers m.o. to see if they can get an upgrade at a position at a similar price. or a similar player at a cheaper price. very rarely do they pay more to upgrade unless there is a glaring need.

im trying to remember the situation with farrior that brought him to the steelers. i think he was a top 15 draft pick and actually led the league in tackles one season. i think he led the jets most years he was there. it might have been his sack totals they were disappointed in.

i remember the steelers were really hot for f.a. james washington from indy. they were willing to offer about 4-5 mil. per year. dan snyder wooed him away and at the last minute we "settled for a bery bargain priced farrior. turned out to be a blessing much like dexter hjackson leaving us at the altar to go play for the cardinals. we had to "settle" for drafting t. polamalu (otherwise l. johnson probably wouldve been drafted and j. bettis wouldve been cut.) not only did we wind up with better players we got em at a much cheaper price. sometimes youre good and sometimes youre just damn lucky.

Sharkissle29
03-07-2006, 04:28 PM

Arrington on the other hand, is the total opposite in my opinion. We won't be as lucky. Then again, I don't see why we have to change anything at the LB position this year. They must be doing something right back there, we did just win the Super Bowl. We can always draft a LB this year or next year to fill a spot if and when we need to. In my opinion, there are other positions on this team right now that we should be putting more focus towards.
maybe true, but we lack depth. we have one LB in Harrison, and the rest i dont think i've ever seen any in a LB position. if one guy is out, we're in some trouble..unless harrison is there to clean it up. we're screwed in the middle

83-Steelers-43
03-07-2006, 04:32 PM
maybe true, but we lack depth. we have one LB in Harrison, and the rest i dont think i've ever seen any in a LB position. if one guy is out, we're in some trouble..unless harrison is there to clean it up. we're screwed in the middle

I understand adding depth and I agree, it is a problem. But hypothetically If we were to pick up Arrington, you would be paying Foote starter price to only back him up? Or with Haggans? I have no problem adding depth to the position, but at what cost? That's why I have no problem drafting a LB or even picking up somebody cheap on the FA market. To pick up Arrington at this point in time would not make much sense.

Stlrs4Life
03-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Too gopod to be true to bring him here. $$$ will keep him away. Bet you the Stains finally make the right sign and get him.

tony hipchest
03-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Good Arrington article by Wilbon.

Wilbon is an Arrington fan anad believes he could have been an all-time great, but notes the constant coaching turnover and Arrington's problems with both Marvin Lewis and the current coaches as indicating Arrington has issues.

Wilbon has Arrington going to Dallas, which makes sense to me.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/06/AR2006030601641.htmlwhile a pittsburgh kid it was lawrence taylor who arrington idolized and molded his game after. i bet he would love to play for parcells and he would get to play the redskins twice a year. jerry jones is probably drooling (parcells too) and you know he could and would could throw plenty of jack at him.

SteelerFanInCA
03-07-2006, 05:03 PM
I'd take chance on him but I seriously think he will be asking for more than we are willing to pay. If they can stay healty, our LB's should be good for another season.

83-Steelers-43
03-11-2006, 10:56 AM
The Redskins could very well see Arrington again. He said he wants to sign with an NFC East team.

"I want to come back and walk in FedEx Field once a year," he said.

-ESPN

Doesn't sound like it's his "dream" to come to Pittsburgh if you ask me.

rowedf
03-11-2006, 12:50 PM
I don't get how people here can say they would take him in a second, but question his heart and if he goes 100% .... you don't take a guy PERIOD if you have those kind of questions.

Arrington said today that his signing bonus has to be double digits......that's gonna narrow it down to only a few times really.

Suitanim
03-11-2006, 01:31 PM
I don't get how people here can say they would take him in a second, but question his heart and if he goes 100% .... you don't take a guy PERIOD if you have those kind of questions.

Arrington said today that his signing bonus has to be double digits......that's gonna narrow it down to only a few times really.

And it's another (at least) 10 million reasons he'll never be a Steeler...

Ohio Steeler
03-11-2006, 07:11 PM
I bet he ends up a cowgirl , ( my bad I mean cowboy)

SlinginSammy
03-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Guys, let me give you a heads up. He's got a ton of raw talent but he's too thick headed to leash it and use it in a disciplined D. He's a good vocal leader on the field but he misses so many tackles and causes so many big offensive plays because of his freelancing. You're better off passing on him and letting the clowns take him. He was Greg Williams' problem and even GW, who can get in somone's face, couldn't change Lavar. He is what he is and he gave up quite a few key 1st downs on 3rd & shorts by getting to jumpy and encroaching.

SlinginSammy
03-11-2006, 08:28 PM
I bet he ends up a cowgirl , ( my bad I mean cowboy)
He's so big of a drama queen he'd fit right in down there in Parcell's own Brokeback Mountain.

Hammer67
03-11-2006, 09:53 PM

What crack pipe have you been smoking??? Last time I checked, Arrington didn't ruin a team's entire season!