PDA

View Full Version : I find it hard not to sing this toe tappin' song

3 to be 4
03-06-2006, 09:20 PM
"...Its hard out here for a pimp..."

*Oscar Night reference

83-Steelers-43
03-06-2006, 09:25 PM
I didn't bother watching the Oscars because I didn't feel like hearing the liberal morons rant all night, but I saw a segment of that song on FOX news. They seem like a classy group of individuals.

3 to be 4
03-06-2006, 09:27 PM
i loved their acceptance speech

"Man, yo thats what oh man my jesus in the house take the haappy cant tell you outta of control oh man that what im talking about in the house yo yo...."

Stlrs4Life
03-06-2006, 09:30 PM
I didn't bother watching the Oscars because I didn't feel like hearing the liberal morons rant all night, but I saw a segment of that song on FOX news. They seem like a classy group of individuals.

It is probably better than listening to Rush Limbaugh spew his BS.

83-Steelers-43
03-06-2006, 09:32 PM

Limbaugh BS or out of touch morons from Hollywood BS? Well, I think they are both equally idiotic and annoying. So go figure.

3 to be 4
03-06-2006, 09:33 PM
agreed.

my favorite moment of the night was when they came back from a commercial break and Jon Stewart was saying "And thats why the Church of Scientology is the answer for America......"

hysterical

augustashark
03-07-2006, 12:16 AM

From this thread you come up with Rush Limbaugh smack! Wow. You must have a real h*rd on for Rush!

tony hipchest
03-07-2006, 12:31 AM
From this thread you come up with Rush Limbaugh smack! Wow. You must have a real h*rd on for Rush!

you didnt miss post #2 in this thread that mustve spawned the rush comment did you? rush is as much of an extremist as michael moore. (although rush has never made me laugh as much as farenheit 9/11 did) either way these discussions are bound to break out during the off season. as a middle of the road type guy, i prefer to take them all worth a grain of salt.

Koopa
03-07-2006, 12:54 AM
the best thing of the oscars was three 6 mafia, damn they f'n rule, finally it got southern up in that bitch lol

HburgXL06
03-07-2006, 01:51 AM
you didnt miss post #2 in this thread that mustve spawned the rush comment did you? rush is as much of an extremist as michael moore. (although rush has never made me laugh as much as farenheit 9/11 did) either way these discussions are bound to break out during the off season. as a middle of the road type guy, i prefer to take them all worth a grain of salt.

Amen.

BuFu

Livinginthe past
03-07-2006, 01:51 AM
agreed.

my favorite moment of the night was when they came back from a commercial break and Jon Stewart was saying "And thats why the Church of Scientology is the answer for America......"

hysterical

I spent 6 months living in Australia - we lived next door to Scientologists for 3 of these months.

They have some very weird theories on stuff - but they seemed harmless enough.

NM

83-Steelers-43
03-07-2006, 08:45 AM
Sorry for bringing politics into the conversation. It's just that every year some idiot comes to the conclusion that everybody in this country tunes in to hear what he or she has to say about world politics. It's no wonder the ratings for the Oscars drop every year.

It's just my opinion that you should get up, go get your little award for acting, say thanks, kiss as much butt as you possibly can in a five minute span, act as if your the reason the world is round and sit back down. Personally, I can deal without George Clooney's point of view on politics. It gets old.

Suitanim
03-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Back to the topic, I kind of disagree with the rap song winning...it's one thing to compose lyrics and music and perform a song, things which take real talent. I've just never been sold on rap as art...at least there was a woman with a nice voice singing in this song, so I guess there were some redeeming qualities.

HburgXL06
03-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Sorry for bringing politics into the conversation. It's just that every year some idiot comes to the conclusion that everybody in this country tunes in to hear what he or she has to say about world politics. It's no wonder the ratings for the Oscars drop every year.

It's just my opinion that you should get up, go get your little award for acting, say thanks, kiss as much butt as you possibly can in a five minute span, act as if your the reason the world is round and sit back down. Personally, I can deal without George Clooney's point of view on politics. It gets old.

Amen.

BuFu

Koopa
03-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Back to the topic, I kind of disagree with the rap song winning...it's one thing to compose lyrics and music and perform a song, things which take real talent. I've just never been sold on rap as art...at least there was a woman with a nice voice singing in this song, so I guess there were some redeeming qualities.

not to be an ass but it's kinda all coming together, you hate vince young, you love nascar, and now you hatin on rap. the patterns are there i just hope i'm wrong

SalukiSteelers
03-07-2006, 02:37 PM
I think it's great that rap is getting some love at the Oscars. Too bad it's too late for Ice-T's "Colors" to get an award.

83-Steelers-43
03-07-2006, 03:29 PM
not to be an ass but it's kinda all coming together, you hate vince young, you love nascar, and now you hatin on rap. the patterns are there i just hope i'm wrong

I'm just curious.........

Hypothetically, what if your black and you hate NASCAR, country music and Ben Roethlisberger? Is there some type of "pattern" there?

Personally, I hate rap. I love the blues and some jazz. Huge Sammy Davis, Sinatra and Martin fan also. I don't like country and I'm not a NASCAR fan. I also happen to think Michael Vick is the most overrated QB in the NFL and that Michael Jordan is the greatest athlete in the history of sport. I can't stand Jesse Jackson, but I feel Martin Luther King Jr. was a great man to say the least. Is there a "pattern" there?

I for one, really don't see any type of pattern in Suits remarks. He doesn't like rap. He enjoys NASCAR and he's not a fan of Vince Young. That doesn't mean on the weekends he's burning a cross and sporting a white pillow case on his head. Please don't take offense Koopa. Just trying to put this all into perspective to some degree.

3 to be 4
03-07-2006, 05:03 PM
i swear im out of this one...

Koopa
03-07-2006, 05:55 PM
I'm just curious.........

Hypothetically, what if your black and you hate NASCAR, country music and Ben Roethlisberger? Is there some type of "pattern" there?

Personally, I hate rap. I love the blues and some jazz. Huge Sammy Davis, Sinatra and Martin fan also. I don't like country and I'm not a NASCAR fan. I also happen to think Michael Vick is the most overrated QB in the NFL and that Michael Jordan is the greatest athlete in the history of sport. I can't stand Jesse Jackson, but I feel Martin Luther King Jr. was a great man to say the least. Is there a "pattern" there?

I for one, really don't see any type of pattern in Suits remarks. He doesn't like rap. He enjoys NASCAR and he's not a fan of Vince Young. That doesn't mean on the weekends he's burning a cross and sporting a white pillow case on his head. Please don't take offense Koopa. Just trying to put this all into perspective to some degree.

naw i just see a lot of hate come from him so i thought i'd say how i feel about his post, always talkin down on vince, and now rap, he was pratically slobberin when he saw vince got a 6 on a test, it seems he can't wait to see him fail. and who the hell is he to say rap ain't art??? i'm sure it's easy for him to say it on a message board but lets see him go up to dj paul from three 6 mafia and see if he'll tell him he doesn't deserve that oscar and didn't deserve to be playing up there because what he doesn't do is a art. anyway it don't matter what i think, he knows if he is or isn't, i'm sure he isn't i just thought i'd put it out there

augustashark
03-07-2006, 06:49 PM
anyway it don't matter what i think, he knows if he is or isn't, i'm sure he isn't i just thought i'd put it out there

Dude, this is how trouble starts. You need to know what your saying and then stand by it! You can not be wishy washy about these things. I've only been here since the beg of December, but I have never seen anyone go this way in any post, let alone Suit!

Bad post dude.

HburgXL06
03-07-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm sidin wit Koopa on this one, for Suit to say rap and hip-hop ain't art doesn't give respect to the many who have made good and deep messages through the genre ain't right. I know there are many rappers (yin yang twins for example) that aren't true artists with what they say and act. However, there are different genres within the "rap" genre so there is place for even them sometimes (club music). Listen to some like Common, Tupac, Biggie, Lil Wayne, Jay-Z and the messages and they speak a lot of truth. Three 6 mafia is just one group of many that is finally getting some mainstream recognition for the work they do. I ain't tryin to start nothin, just statin my argument as a man who appreciates rap. I respect Suit for the fact that I've read his arguments on other issues and he knows what he is talkin bout, but I just wanted to argue my case for what I listen to and relate to. Peace.

BuFu

Suitanim
03-07-2006, 07:37 PM

The patterns? Oh boy...

I also hate Country music, so you can scrap the stupid redneck reference. Why do I hate rap AND country? Because I'm a white kid who grew up in the suburbs. I don't know anything about the ghetto or having "a good day because I didn't need to use my AK", nor can I relate to driving a pick-up truck, living in a trailer park, or farming. Nobody in my family ever went to jail.

When I wanted to rebel, I listened to punk and hardcore music, but at least the guys played instruments, wrote songs and sang. I've also been in a few bands, and played the drums and sang, which were the two easiest of the jobs in the band, but still takes more talent than most rappers have.

I also don't hate Vince Young...in fact, I think he's a superior athlete. I just hate him as an NFL QB...Hell, even that's not true. He can play QB in the NFL for any team, as long as it's not the Steelers. No more Kordell clones, thank you.

tony hipchest
03-07-2006, 08:59 PM
When I wanted to rebel, I listened to punk and hardcore music, but at least the guys played instruments, wrote songs and sang. I've also been in a few bands, and played the drums and sang, which were the two easiest of the jobs in the band, but still takes more talent than most rappers have.

as a white kid who grew up in the middle of a cow town that had no suburbs i must say i relate to the punk/ thrash/ hip hop/ rap, more than country western. since my favorites include misfits/danzig and wu tang clan/method man/ rza i will say that the funny thing about "art" is that its subjective and its beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. i also include jethro tull as one of my all time favorites.

plenty of people said that van gogh and picasso werent true artists. hundereds of art museums would beg to differ.

while there is bubble gum rap you would be hard pressed to find a better or more talented lyrical writer or poet than nas. as for having an ear for producing music the likes of rza or dj premier are hard to match. listen to how the music in kill bill fits the mood of the movie. that takes true artistic talent.

some would say that frank frazetta or boris valejo arent true artists cause they do comic books and fantasy themes yet their studies and accuracy of the human form rival that of michaelangelo or leonardo. unlike alot of well known masters they are well known long before they died.

there is crap in every form of art but if you filter through and find those who are trully dedicated and skilled you will find true talent. whether or not you appreciate the specific form of art doesnt mean talent is lacking.

Suitanim
03-07-2006, 09:15 PM
I'm too old to change. I hear some country from time to time, and it sounds more and more like top 40 (which I also abhor), and I hear rap all the time...in fact, I'm nearly inundated with it. I wonder why that is?

I can appreciate a good lyric when I hear it, but, again, being a suburban kid, what appeals to me more? I'll issue a challenge. Find me a rapper who can match these couple lyric's (Neal Peart, Rush), and I'll reconsider.

"Losing It"

The dancer slows her frantic pace
In pain and desperation
Her aching limbs and downcast face
Aglow with perspiration

Stiff as wire, her lungs on fire
With just the briefest pause
The flooding through her memory
The echoes of old applause

She limps across the floor
And closes her bedroom door...

The writer stares with glassy eyes
Defies the empty page
His beard is white, his face is lined
And streaked with tears of rage

Thirty years ago, how the words would flow
With passion and precision
But now his mind is dark and dulled
By sickness and indecision

And he stares out the kitchen door
Where the sun will rise no more...

Some are born to move the world
To live their fantasies
But most of us just dream about
The things we'd like to be
Sadder still to watch it die
Than never to have known it
For you, the blind who once could see
The bell tolls for thee...

"Freewill"

There are those who think that life has nothing left to chance
A host of holy horrors to direct our aimless dance

A planet of play things
We dance on the strings
Of powers we cannot perceive
'The stars aren't aligned
Or the gods are malign...'
Blame is better to give than receive

[Chorus:]
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill

There are those who think
That they were dealt a losing hand
The cards were stacked against them
They weren't born in Lotusland

All preordained
A prisoner in chains
A victim of venomous fate
Kicked in the face
You can't pray for a place
In heaven's unearthly estate

[Chorus]

Each of us
A cell of awareness
Imperfect and incomplete
Genetic blends
With uncertain ends
On a fortune hunt that's far too fleet

tony hipchest
03-07-2006, 09:55 PM
this song is written in the form of a letter to one of his homies doin bids (locked up in prison) it does help to understand the slang and have it put to the music and sung in verse so the rhyming skills can trully be appreciated. btw rush is damn good.

"one love" by nas

Verse One:
its not funney
what up kid? i know shit is rough doing your bid
when the cops came you shoulda slid to my crib
but **** it black, no time for looking back it's done
plus congratulations you know you got a son
i heard he looks like you, why don't your lady write you?
told her she should visit, that's when she got hyper
flippin, talk about he acts too rough
he didn't listen he be riffin' while i'm telling him stuff
i was like yeah, shorty don't care, she a snake too
****ing with the niggaz from that fake crew that hate you
but yo, guess who got shot in the dome-piece?
jeromes niece, on her way home from jones beach, its bugged
plus little rob is selling drugs all the time
hanging out with young thugs that all carry 9's
and night time is more trife than ever
Whattup with Cormega, did you see 'em, are y'all together?
if so then hold the fort down, represent to the fullest
say whassup to herb, ice and bullet
I left a half a hundred in your commisary
You was my nigga when push came to shove
One what? one love

Verse Two:

dear born, you'll be out soon, stay strong
out in new york the same shit is going on
the crack-heads stalking, loud-mouths is talking
hold, check out the story yesterday when i was walking
the nigga you shot last year tried to appear like he hurtin something
word to mother, i heard him fronting
and he be pumping on your block
your man gave him your glock
and now they run together, what up son, whatever
since i'm on the streets i'm a put it to a cease
i heard you blew a nigga with he ask for the phone piece,
whylin' on the island, but now in Elmira
better chill 'cos them niggaz will put that ass on fire
last time you wrote you said they tried you in the showers
but maintain when you come home the corner's ours
on the reals, all these crab niggaz know the deal
when we start the revolution all they probably do is squeal
but chill, see you on the next v i
i gave your mom dukes loot for kicks
plus sent ya flicks
your brother's buck whylin' and four maine he wrote me
he might beat his case, 'til he come home i play it low key
so stay civilised, time flies
though incarcerated your mind [dies]
i hate it when your moms cries
it kinda wants to make me murder, for real-a
i've even got a mask and gloves to bust slugs
for one love

Verse Three:

sometimes i sit back with a budda sack
mind's in another world thinking how can we exist through the facts
written in school text books, bibles, etcetera
**** a school lecture, the lies get me vexed-a
so i be ghost from my projects
i take my pen and pad for the week and hittin' L's while i'm sleep'
on a two day stay, you may say i need the time alone
to relax my dome, no phone, left the 9 at home
you see the streets have me stressed something terrible
****ing with the corners have a nigga up in belle vue
or h.d.m., hit with numbers from 8 to 10
a future in a maximum state pen is grim
so i comes back home, nobody's helping shorty doowop
i roll two phillies together in the pen we call them oowops
he said nas, niggaz cold be bustin' off the roof
so i wear a bullet proof and pack a black tres-deuce
he inhailed so deep, shut his eyes like he was sleep
started coughing when i peeked to watch me speak
i sat back like the mack, my army suit was black
we was chillin' on these benches where he pumped his loose cracks
i took the L when he passed it, this little bastard
keeps me blasted he starts talking mad shit
i had to school him, told him don't let niggaz fool him
'cos when the pistol blows a shot the one that's murdered be the cool one
tough luck when niggaz are struck, families ****ed up
could've caught your man, but didn't look when you bucked up
mistakes happen, so take heed never bust up
in a crowd catch him solo, make the right man bleed
shorty's laugh was cold blooded as he spoke so foul
only twelve trying to tell me that he liked my style
then i rose, wiping the blunts ash from my clothes
then froze only the blow the herb smoke through my nose
and told my little man that i'm a go cyprose
there's some jewels in the skull that he can sell if he chose
words of wisdom from nas try to rise up above
keep an eye out for jake shorty wop
one love

3 to be 4
03-07-2006, 10:22 PM
this song is written in the form of a letter to one of his homies doin bids (locked up in prison) it does help to understand the slang and have it put to the music and sung in verse so the rhyming skills can trully be appreciated. btw rush is damn good.

"one love" by nas

Verse One:
its not funney
what up kid? i know shit is rough doing your bid
when the cops came you shoulda slid to my crib
but **** it black, no time for looking back it's done
plus congratulations you know you got a son
i heard he looks like you, why don't your lady write you?
told her she should visit, that's when she got hyper
flippin, talk about he acts too rough
he didn't listen he be riffin' while i'm telling him stuff
i was like yeah, shorty don't care, she a snake too
****ing with the niggaz from that fake crew that hate you
but yo, guess who got shot in the dome-piece?
jeromes niece, on her way home from jones beach, its bugged
plus little rob is selling drugs all the time
hanging out with young thugs that all carry 9's
and night time is more trife than ever
Whattup with Cormega, did you see 'em, are y'all together?
if so then hold the fort down, represent to the fullest
say whassup to herb, ice and bullet
I left a half a hundred in your commisary
You was my nigga when push came to shove
One what? one love

Verse Two:

dear born, you'll be out soon, stay strong
out in new york the same shit is going on
the crack-heads stalking, loud-mouths is talking
hold, check out the story yesterday when i was walking
the nigga you shot last year tried to appear like he hurtin something
word to mother, i heard him fronting
and he be pumping on your block
your man gave him your glock
and now they run together, what up son, whatever
since i'm on the streets i'm a put it to a cease
i heard you blew a nigga with he ask for the phone piece,
whylin' on the island, but now in Elmira
better chill 'cos them niggaz will put that ass on fire
last time you wrote you said they tried you in the showers
but maintain when you come home the corner's ours
on the reals, all these crab niggaz know the deal
when we start the revolution all they probably do is squeal
but chill, see you on the next v i
i gave your mom dukes loot for kicks
plus sent ya flicks
your brother's buck whylin' and four maine he wrote me
he might beat his case, 'til he come home i play it low key
so stay civilised, time flies
though incarcerated your mind [dies]
i hate it when your moms cries
it kinda wants to make me murder, for real-a
i've even got a mask and gloves to bust slugs
for one love

Verse Three:

sometimes i sit back with a budda sack
mind's in another world thinking how can we exist through the facts
written in school text books, bibles, etcetera
**** a school lecture, the lies get me vexed-a
so i be ghost from my projects
i take my pen and pad for the week and hittin' L's while i'm sleep'
on a two day stay, you may say i need the time alone
to relax my dome, no phone, left the 9 at home
you see the streets have me stressed something terrible
****ing with the corners have a nigga up in belle vue
or h.d.m., hit with numbers from 8 to 10
a future in a maximum state pen is grim
i took the L when he passed it, this little bastard
keeps me blasted he starts talking mad shit
i had to school him, told him don't let niggaz fool him
'cos when the pistol blows a shot the one that's murdered be the cool one
tough luck when niggaz are struck, families ****ed up
could've caught your man, but didn't look when you bucked up
mistakes happen, so take heed never bust up
in a crowd catch him solo, make the right man bleed
shorty's laugh was cold blooded as he spoke so foul
only twelve trying to tell me that he liked my style
then i rose, wiping the blunts ash from my clothes
then froze only the blow the herb smoke through my nose
and told my little man that i'm a go cyprose
there's some jewels in the skull that he can sell if he chose
words of wisdom from nas try to rise up above
keep an eye out for jake shorty wop
one love

Um, i think i speak for a whole lot of people when I say:

WHAT?????

HburgXL06
03-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Um, i think i speak for a whole lot of people when I say:

WHAT?????

You're kidding me. You don't get it at all? What is there not to get? I listened to the song again while reading the lyrics tony posted and they are pretty exact. What do you need explained?

BuFu

3 to be 4
03-07-2006, 10:33 PM
You're kidding me. You don't get it at all? What is there not to get? I listened to the song again while reading the lyrics tony posted and they are pretty exact. What do you need explained?

BuFu

i know im an old fart... But I have NO idea what in tarnation any of that means.

But, hey, you say tomato, i say tom-ah-toe

HburgXL06
03-07-2006, 11:07 PM

i know im an old fart... But I have NO idea what in tarnation any of that means.

But, hey, you say tomato, i say tom-ah-toe

I'll break it down to you. He's talking about being alone on the block without his boy for one. Here's the break down line by line. If anyone thinks I am wrong or I forgot something let me know.

"So I comes back home, nobody's helping shorty doowop" (In the context before this line in the song NAS is talking about walking around his hood by himself without protection and how what he sees and who he sees is enough to drive him insane or to get him caught and sent to prison. So he returns home. "nobody's helping shorty doowop" mean's no one is helping him do his thing in the daily grind.)

"I roll two phillies together in the pen we call them oowops" (He takes two phillies blunt cigars to smoke weed and in prison there are called "oops" cigars but he rhythmically extends the word to go better with the lyrics)

"he said nas, niggaz cold be bustin' off the roof
so i wear a bullet proof and pack a black tres-deuce" (He's talkin either back in the day with his boy or with another person while smoking a blunt and how people who don't like them (rival gangs/drugs/etc.) could shoot them from a nearby rooftop. They must be smoking outside. So NAS wears a bulletproof vest and carries a gun with him to protect himself.)

"he inhailed so deep, shut his eyes like he was sleep
started coughing when i peeked to watch me speak" (The other man takes a hit of the blunt so long and hard that he shuts his eyes to help him hold in the smoke. NAS changes persons now to refer to himself which makes you wonder if maybe he is just looking at himself in the mirror literally or figuratively with his actions. Either way as he opens his eyes he coughs from all the smoke he had inhaled when he looked to watch himself speak.)

"I sat back like the mack, my army suit was black
we was chillin' on these benches where he pumped his loose cracks" (He relaxes and leans back in the seat comparitively as he does with his gun. He talks about wearing black as camoflauge in his hood at night so he cannot be seen. They are relaxing smoking and talking on benches that his boy at one time probably sold drugs from.)

I may be wrong in some of what I interpret or may be off on the terms and if I am I apologize and am open to corrections. The lyrics that you referred to seem to be a memory of when NAS and his boy used to chill out on the benches smoking weed together and how now his best friend is gone. The whole song refers to how rough and hard it is in the ghetto where he is from and how things change but stay the same. It is all put together in a poetic style that takes interpretation and understanding of the artist's verbiage to completely comprehend and appreciate. It may seem in poor taste to refer to guns, drugs, prison, prison rape, etc. as a form of art but the authors are only trying to get the word out of what is it like. What has happened and what they do and have done and what goes on where they are from. I hope this helped. If not.....oh well. So you know I'm from right outside the city limits in my city (Harrisburg, PA) so I'm not attempting to acknowledge that I know everything about or goes on in the ghetto. I do have friends back home from there and have grown up listening to rap and hip-hop so for me to listen to the same verse that you don't understand for me just makes perfect sense in what he is saying. Peace.

BuFu

3 to be 4
03-08-2006, 05:47 AM
ok, thanks. Very impressive. Its obviously all right there.

for me, it comes down to one thing and its just my personal understanding and preference and frame of reference of sensibility and all that:

I DONT &*^$%*(%$ GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE $^**(^$R IS EVERYBODY SAYING!!!!!!
WHY CANT THEY SPEAK ENGLISH FOR &**%% SAKES??????????? IT SOUNDS LIKE GIBBERISH TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DONT UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there. but its ok if everybody else likes. except for the cop killing, and girls as Ho's and bitches, the the swearing, and the violence and intmidation and stuff. Buts its ok if everybody else likes it. I like Switchfoot or Casting Crowns myself, but...........

Suitanim
03-08-2006, 08:54 AM
My problem is that the very clear and concise poetry-like lyrics of Neal Peart are being compared on an equal footing to some vernacular about being a thug that a dude basically talks about over some synthesized drum tracks.

tony hipchest
03-08-2006, 10:10 AM
My problem is that the very clear and concise poetry-like lyrics of Neal Peart are being compared on an equal footing to some vernacular about being a thug that a dude basically talks about over some synthesized drum tracks.

"When I wanted to rebel, I listened to punk and hardcore music, but at least the guys played instruments, wrote songs and sang. I've also been in a few bands, and played the drums and sang, which were the two easiest of the jobs in the band, but still takes more talent than most rappers have."

the talent of neal pearte isnt in question. the convo went from punk and hardcore to rush. the statement in bold is what was really being discussed by me. taking a look at these gems by the ramones (who happen to be one of my all time favorites and definitely groundbreaking and influential artists) theres really no comparisson tho the complexity of some rap lyrics. some of the synthesized music these lyrics are put to take many more hours of thought and work than pounding on drums, a bass, and a guitar.

Blitzkrieg Bop

Hey ho, let's go
Hey ho, let's go
Hey ho, let's go
Hey ho, let's go

They're forming in a straight line
They're going through a tight wind
The kids are losing their minds
The Blitzkrieg Bop

They're piling in the back seat
They're generating steam heat
Pulsating to the back beat
The Blitzkrieg Bop.

Hey ho, let's go
Shoot'em in the back now
What they want, I don't know
They're all reved up and ready to go

The Blitzkrieg Bop

The Blitzkrieg Bop.

Hey ho, let's go
Shoot'em in the back now
What they want, I don't know
They're all reved up and ready to go

The Blitzkrieg Bop

The Blitzkrieg Bop.

Hey ho, let's go
Hey ho, let's go
Hey ho, let's go
Hey ho, let's go

Beat on the Brat

Beat on the brat
Beat on the brat
Beat on the brat with a baseball bat
Oh yeah, oh yeah, uh- oh
What can you do?
What can you do?
With a brat like this always on your back
What can you do? (lose? )

Judy Is a Punk

Jackie is a punk
Judy is a runt
They both went down to Berlin,Joined
The ice capades
And oh,I don't know why
Oh,I don't know why
Perhaps they'll die.

Second verse same as the first
(repeat first verse)

Third verse different from the first

Jackie is a punk
Judy is a runt
They both went down to Frisco,joined the SLA
And oh,I don't know why
Oh,I don't know why
Perhaps they'll die.
I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend

Hey,little girl
I wanna be your boyfriend
Sweet little girl
I wanna be your boyfriend.
Do you love me babe?
What do you say?
Do you love me babe?
What can I say?
Because i wanna be your boyfriend.

Chainsaw

Oh, oh, oh
Sitting here with nothin' to do
Sitting here thinkin' only of you
But you'll never get out of there
She'll never get out of there.
Texas chain saw massacre
They took my baby away from me
But she'll never get out of there
She'll never get out of there
I don't care, wohoho

When I saw her on the corner
She told me told me told me told me
She wouldn't go far
Ooh, now I know I'm so much in love
'Cause she's the only girl that I'm ever thinking of

Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue

Now I wanna sniff some glue
Now I wanna have somethin' to do
All the kids wanna sniff some glue
All the kids want somethin' to do

tony hipchest
03-08-2006, 10:16 AM
I DONT &*^$%*(%$ GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE $^**(^$R IS EVERYBODY SAYING!!!!!!
WHY CANT THEY SPEAK ENGLISH FOR &**%% SAKES??????????? IT SOUNDS LIKE GIBBERISH TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DONT UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 2b 4 - since we are both big beattles fans i will say that the exact same thing was said about such classics as the white album, magical mystery tour etc. revolution #9, lucy in the sky, helter skelter, i am the walrus, penny lane, yellow submarine? all great songs.

not everyone understood them

dont think i am calling nas an equivilant of the beattles. just comparing the fact their work wasnt understood by everybody.

Suitanim
03-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Actually, I'd say comparing the Ramones to rap is pretty much spot on...

HburgXL06
03-08-2006, 11:05 AM
ok, thanks. Very impressive. Its obviously all right there.

for me, it comes down to one thing and its just my personal understanding and preference and frame of reference of sensibility and all that:

there. but its ok if everybody else likes. except for the cop killing, and girls as Ho's and bitches, the the swearing, and the violence and intmidation and stuff. Buts its ok if everybody else likes it. I like Switchfoot or Casting Crowns myself, but...........

Damn I'm having to do a shitload of explaining. I must be the only person here that likes rap music.....shit. Ok, you complain that they don't speak english and it is hard to understand what they are saying. Would you listen to a man who just said something outright and plain or buy his record? No, I wouldn't either. It is poetry and it is poetic language that is used to describe what they talk about in the song and yes there is a lot of street slang in the song but that is normal. We all talk differently and it is how they grew up talking. You could argue that why aren't they educated to talk "good" and right there would be the problem: a lot of them weren't. That is partly what makes the GOOD rappers amazing. They had no chance in school and no opportunity to go anywhere but they mastered the art of poetry in rap and how to freestyle (rapping making it up as you go) which is very difficult to do (I do it and it can be hard to not repeat yourself, stick with the beat and keep going, etc.

As you again complain about the same issues with girls being hoes and shit I'll go one by one again. Cop killing: poetic reaction to how many artists felt about cops because of the corruption in many police departments and especially in the big cities. The complaint is that the cops never protect them when it is needed in the ghetto yet whenever there is a person to arrest the black man is the first one to go down. This is partially true and I will admit there is some bias. The police don't ALWAYS look for the black man first but I have seen it and experienced it with my friends personally that cops do seem automatically suspicious of a black person over a white person. Cops also don't enforce the law very well in some parts of big cities which are often the ghetto neighborhoods. That is partially due because they are scared of the area because of so many people not liking the police and because it is a really bad area. North Philly is an example, been there, not a nice place, and no cops in the area anywhere.

Some rappers do often refer to women as bitches and hoes and I do not like that either. I am the first to be respectful to a woman and would never hurt one. Again you have to separate the good rappers from the bad ones. I'm sure you know of some band that you think is awful for the genre of rock but is in the mainstream so everyone is gonna hear it anyway...same here. Many of the rappers that do nothing but say "bitch" this and "hoe" that are not really good rappers at all and I personally do not appreciate their music. Those rappers who do are more riding the wave of popularity of rap and just saying what people want to hear in order to make money. Many of the good rappers will rarely refer to a women as such but I will tell you that in some areas it is practice to refer to women in general as "bitches" and "hoes." I am not arguing that that is a good thing but I even know white kids that will ask "where the bitches at?" I don't condone those actions and do think many just say it to seem cool.

The violence that is often disliked in hip-hop is often the over publicized extenuation of hood wars from back before the rappers became famous. This type of this happens every day where they are from but it is not until they are on MTV that the media pays attention and suddenly it is national news. There are fights between rappers and that does happen because you can never please everyone. When a rapper sees something he don't like in another or he thinks the other rapper isn't good he will put it out there and let the world know. Now as you know there are different types of good and bad arguments. A person that would give you stats in football is gonna be taken easier than a person that just says "you're a jerk." When the former happens the other rapper comes back at the other with their own argument of why they deserve credibility and even why the other rapper is dumb for saying that against them. When the case of "you're a jerk" happens then it becomes more heated. It is taken personally and considered disrespectful and most often will be retaliated lyrically by the other artist. It is only in extreme circumstances that they two people will end up in a physical fight. Rapping is often used INSTEAD of violence to hurt another rapper. Everyone knows that if someone says something dumb about you in everyday life you can defame them and come out better if you argue back at them instead of sucker punching them. When violence does break out it is just what these people have grown up learning how to react when the shit gets too out of control. It may seem sad but it is true and happens a lot around the country. Instead of being appalled at the rap community people who don't like it should go to where the artists came from to try to make it better growing up there instead of just campaigning agaisnt what the rappers say.

With the drugs, womanizing, and other problems in rap I argue that it is because of today's media that we are told every little bit of a person's life so much that we are over exposed to it and act like it has never happened before. You can't argue that the classic rock groups that I'm sure you love did many drugs and womanized quite a bit. But they are considered SO great. Going back further into classical music composers throughout the ages have always had problems with drugs and women. Name me a classical (not just the classical period I mean all musical composers pre 1900) that did not die of a STD and I'll credit you for finding him or her but also ask if it was hard for you to find. Drugs were also used by many classical composers and they were often addicts to the substances. These things were never really brought to light though because there was no big media to follow people around constantly. Rappers become targets for the media because of their rough appearance and exterior and for where they come from there are automatically considered "unthinking thugs." Only today does this happen that people are labeled in such a way before they are even allowed to speak. In my mind you can not find people that are more reflective and troubled by the problems of where they came from than good rappers. This shit has always gone on but it has not been until this era of time that everyone gets to learn and know about everything thing their favorite musical artist does in their free time.

BuFu

HburgXL06
03-08-2006, 11:06 AM

Suit, before I say anything I'ma tell you I got respect for you and I am not trying to instigate anything but I do think you've written off rap as a genre before you have ever really listened to a good rapper. Neal Pearl might appear clear and concise to you but I'm sure I could find someone who doesn't understand him. His lyrics are well thought out and put together well I'm sure but so are the lyrics of many famous rap songs. You say that rappers just use the vernacular in there songs and that is somehow a bad thing. But what is the easiest way to be heard and understood by people? To use the vernacular. They did it in Europe after the protestant revolution to convert more people to Christianity by printing the Bible in the vernacular so the application is extended to today with many of good rappers. You can argue that how are they using the vernacular if you or someone else can't understand them. To that I say that rap as a genre grew up in the streets as a genre of music for the streets meaning that they used the way of speaking that they knew and everyone else knew. I know to today that has been stretched and extended a good ways but I am trying to give you the basis of where this all came from. Originally rap was just synthesized drum beats that DJs would use that were automatic settings on a mixer. They built off those beats with the practice of "scratching" records and it has evolved from there. Today it is no longer just a synthesized drumbeat but instead is a combination of many instruments and recordings that are mixed together to form a beat. It my be synthesized to an extent but it no longer sounds like it came off a pong game. Many good artists and producers mix together more classical and jazzy music into their beats to give different flavor to a song. Kanye West is very good at this. Rappers have also teamed up with singers and rock groups to blend genres. Adam Levine from Maroon 5 was in a Kanye West song and Jay-Z got together with Linkin Park. Whether or not you like any of the said bands is irrelevant. The point I'm trying to make is that rap is not just a genre to talk about being a thug and doing bad things. It is yet another creative outlet for people to express themselves and try to change the world and has come a long way in the time it has been around (70s).

You all argue against rap using the stereotypical arguments that have been heard time and time again. If I were to come back at this on your favorite genre of rock I could make countless arguments for why rock is not a good genre (If you remember 50 years back there were many arguments on how rock wasn't real music as well.). I could talk about rock as being a depressing and suicidal music since so many rock artists sing about what is bad in their life and what they have lost and what makes them unhappy. I could say that many of the lyrics in rock are satanically linked. I could say that rock is nothing but loud guitars and screaming into the mic. I could say rock is nothing more than singing about "her" or "you" and is just a bunch of psuedo-love song shit at its base. I do not though because of the fact that I can discern what may be good rock or bad rock. My roommate listens to nothing else that the rock type of genre but at the same time we are both skilled musically and I have gotten many lessons in good and bad rock. I know there is good and bad in all genres of music and am not going to try to personally attack anyone's affinity for a particular genre, I just am trying to defend my own. Hope some of this helped and let me know if I didn't say anything clear enough. Peace.

BuFu

Added after reading tony's post: DJ Danger Mouse took the Beatles: The White Albun and mixed it with Jay-Z: The Black Album and got "The Grey Album." Listen to it and it is actually really good.

tony hipchest
03-08-2006, 11:15 AM
punk/ hardcore evolved as the antithesis to bands like rush and songs like "dreamweaver". the highly technical aspect of what rock and roll had become jumped the shark so to speak. the same thing can be seen in the art world when the classical period was practically abandonned and simpler forms were adopted. less became more.

Suitanim
03-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Hey, bottom line, if you can relate to it, more power to you, and to each his own and all that...

3 to be 4
03-08-2006, 02:49 PM
yeah, me too. if you like it great. I dont, and thats ok too.

augustashark
03-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Whatever happen to the Sugar Hill Gang! The greatest rap song of all time. Those guys were true pioneers of rap music. If you remember they did not have to sing about "bitchies, killing cops and ho's" to have fun and to make good music. Same with metal, you have some bands that adopt the old cliche of satanic material. Then you have others that sing about real world events or problems within the government. I agree with Suit, to each his own. If you like it then buy it, if you don't then don't buy it! I for one may not like rap music, but it does hit home and inspire a large portion of america. For that reason I will say that it is needed, just don't expect everyone to like it or understand it. Thats what is great about america, we have a choice. I just choose to listen to fast hard pumping metal.

tony hipchest
03-08-2006, 03:54 PM
yes, just because you dont like something or dont understand it is really no reason to take away from or demean its artistic integrity. some people dont like andy warhols stuff and dont consider stacking a bunch of ketchup boxes as art but i guess he has paid his dues as an artist and there are some people out there who would pay thousands for a stack of empty boxes. i just wish i could get in on that gig. (personally i really like the giant 15' prints of skulls he has in his museum)

3 to be 4
03-08-2006, 04:23 PM
yeah, me too. if you like it great. I dont, and thats ok too.

HburgXL06
03-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Whatever happen to the Sugar Hill Gang! The greatest rap song of all time. Those guys were true pioneers of rap music. If you remember they did not have to sing about "bitchies, killing cops and ho's" to have fun and to make good music.

Damn Sugar Hill Gang....now you've gone back before I was even born I think. I don't know what happened to them.

Aiight all, I'm sorry if I argued my point too hard. By all your responses I either overdid it or made an ass out of myself....or both. I apologize it I overdid it and if I made a stupid argument just let me know. Sorry guys.

BuFu