PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Harrison fined $5,000 for QB bodyslam

SteelCityMom
09-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Steelers' Harrison fined $5,000 for QB bodyslam
Wednesday, September 22, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Steelers linebacker James Harrison received bad news and good today from the NFL office.

He was fined $5,000 for body-slamming Tennessee quarterback Vince Young on a sack in the third quarter of the Steelers' 19-11 victory in Nashville Sunday.

And he was named the AFC Defensive Player of the Week.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher complained publicly Monday about Harrison's hit on Young. No penalty was called on the play.

"You say if that happened to [Tom] Brady or that happened to so-and-so or so-and-so there would have been seven flags on the field," Fisher said. "Why wasn't there one yesterday? I don't know. Maybe it was the heat."

Asked Wednesday after practice if the hit was worth paying the fine, Harrison said "No!"

Harrison was credited in that game with two sacks, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery, one tackle for loss, one quarterback hurry and 11 tackles. His coaches, after viewing tapes, reduced his forced fumbles to one.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10265/1089526-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz10J2rkXty

SteelCityMom
09-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Why Harrison was the only one fined is beyond me...but whatever.

LVSteelersfan
09-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Harrison is the one who grabbed his leg and forced him backwards almost on his head. That is why he was fined. The other two just did what they were supposed to do. I am sure Harrison was thinking that Young is good at escaping and he grabbed his leg to keep him from getting away. He just kind of overdid it. But personally I loved it.

jjpro11
09-22-2010, 07:24 PM
it was worth it.

SH-Rock
09-22-2010, 07:30 PM
I think mama harrison would approve of it

tony hipchest
09-22-2010, 07:36 PM
i say it was probably a deserved fine and just thankful it didnt draw a flag.

i gotta be real here. with some of the pu$$yfied flags refs throw in the wake of manning, carson, brady, i woulda been absolutely livid if suggs, gregg, and lewis did that to ben with no penalty.

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-22-2010, 08:03 PM
It was worth the fine.....although, hard to say who to fine-- that was a gang-tackle, err, gang-bodyslam.

stb_steeler
09-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Why Harrison was the only one fined is beyond me...but whatever.

Was wondering the same thing, maybe the 3 of them can split it!

lionslicer
09-22-2010, 08:18 PM
$5000? Really? Thats like an extremely small percentage of the salary he makes a game.

finesward
09-22-2010, 08:23 PM
If all the steeler fans that enjoyed that sack donated like 25 cents he would have his fine paid and then some!

StainlessStill
09-22-2010, 08:28 PM
I don't care if we're called for 500 roughing the passers. After last season and how soft we have become during that stretch, that is beautiful. That is what you call a gang tackle and the whistle wasn't even blown and Young still had possession of the ball, he didn't release it.

You could either have that or the refs calling every single hit on the women that call themselves quarterbacks like the Ravens had to endure against the Bengals. Tomlin said he wants his team to be violent. Nothing will stop us from hitting hard. Throw the flags if you want, we're coming after you. Old school football players like Ronni Lott, Dick Butkus, Jack Lambert, Mike Singleterry, or hell, even Ray Lewis will appreciate that slam.

steel-EERS
09-22-2010, 08:28 PM
maybe someone should send Fisher a dress for his girl Vince Young, Roethlisberger takes much worse over the years. worth every cent IMO

mesaSteeler
09-22-2010, 08:31 PM
I think mama harrison would approve of it

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

steeltheone
09-22-2010, 08:32 PM
This is FOOTBALL, boys. Let them play!

stb_steeler
09-22-2010, 08:34 PM
If all the steeler fans that enjoyed that sack donated like 25 cents he would have his fine paid and then some!

I think Harrison can afford it.......:wink02:

Fire Arians
09-22-2010, 09:45 PM
worth every penny! go james!

fer522
09-22-2010, 09:52 PM
i enjoyed it so much that im willing to pay the fine :wave:
:tt03: :rofl: :rofl:

steelerohio
09-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Worth the fine... if i put a good hit like that on somebody, i'd be paying with a smile on my face...

SO, why was his response "NO!" when asked if it was worth the hit? Any thoughts?

Fire Arians
09-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Worth the fine... if i put a good hit like that on somebody, i'd be paying with a smile on my face...

SO, why was his response "NO!" when asked if it was worth the hit? Any thoughts?

PR reasons. he'd prolly get fined more if he said something like hell yeah, lol

besides i dunno, losing any kind of money does suck. getting a $50 parking ticket would be a small fraction of what i earn, but it would still piss me off

SteelKnight
09-23-2010, 08:57 AM
PR reasons. he'd prolly get fined more if he said something like hell yeah, lol

besides i dunno, losing any kind of money does suck. getting a $50 parking ticket would be a small fraction of what i earn, but it would still piss me off

I agree. It would look like he was being defiant and didn't respect the rules. Also, he plans to appeal.

He just wouldn't go down and he still had the ball. The refs should have blown the whistle but they didn't. You are not allowed to lift a QB then bodyslam him.

Overall, at first I was against the fine but later when I saw how Young's legs were pointed straingt in the air, that means he came down on his back or spine, possibly shoulder and could have been really hurt. It's wrong to lift legs if you are going to come down over him.

He should be fined as a lesson. If they don't fine him and somebody later does it to someone else they will use this case.

CaliStillersFan
09-23-2010, 09:16 AM
It would have been worth a flag and $25K. I have a video of that sack on my FF league page, I just might have to keep it there all year. Not sure if they can top that, but here's to trying!!

:drink:

vasteeler
09-23-2010, 10:12 AM
maybe someone should send Fisher a dress for his girl Vince Young, Roethlisberger takes much worse over the years. worth every cent IMO

i dont know that i have ever seen a qb take that kind of sack, probably the greatest sack that i have ever seen:helmet:

kiuaswarrior
09-23-2010, 10:31 AM
I was surprised there was no flag on the play, but I knew a fine would come down.

Too bad it wasn't Kerry Collins who was sacked like that... he may have turned into dust. Oh well.

Third Rail
09-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Young sucks. He should feel lucky that he didn't get sacked on every play of that game.