PDA

View Full Version : Heath Miller visits Pittsburgh......

BB2W
04-16-2005, 12:48 AM
Top TE Heath Miller pays visit to Steelers

By Joe Bendel
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, April 15, 2005

The Steelers checked out college football's top tight end Thursday, and it could be a precursor as to how they'll proceed in the NFL Draft on April 23.
Heath Miller of Virginia spent the day getting acquainted with coaches and management on the South Side, as the team continues to entertain potential draftees. Miller, 6-foot-5, 256 pounds, is listed on some mock draft boards as the Steelers' first-round pick, though it is difficult to project for a team that has the 30th overall selection.

Miller, who opted to forgo his senior season, was a consensus first-team All-American and won the prestigious Mackey Award as the nation's top tight end in '04. He caught 41 passes for 541 yards with five touchdowns.

Despite all the accolades, his numbers were down significantly from his sophomore season, when he had 70 catches for 835 yards with six scores. One of the reasons for the drop-off was the departure of star quarterback Matt Schaub.

Miller also was hampered much of the year by a sports hernia, the same injury that affected former Steelers linebacker Kendrell Bell much of last season. Miller did not participate in the NFL Scouting Combine in February and hasn't held an individual workout as he continues the rehabilitation process.

Miller caught 144 passes for 1,703 yards with 20 touchdowns in 39 games at Virginia. Mller hauled in a 52-yard TD reception that helped to sink Pitt in the 2003 Continental Tire Bowl. Though Miller was unable to run the 40-yard dash at the combine, he reportedly runs in the 4.6-second range.

The Steelers currently have five tight ends on their roster: Jerame Tuman, Matt Kranchick, Matt Cushing, Walter Rasby and Marco Battaglia. Tuman, the starter, is in the final year of a contract that will count $1.425 million against the salary cap.

clevestinks
04-16-2005, 03:49 PM
I really don`t know about this pick????

BlitzburghRockCity
04-16-2005, 04:12 PM
I dont either..but ya know the STeelers like every other team work out all the possible prospects that may fall to them so we'll see.

BB2W
04-17-2005, 06:24 PM
Heath Miller video.......

http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?SID=12953721

http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?SID=6035056

http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?SID=5193754

HinesWard4Life8682
04-18-2005, 03:41 PM
i think we need a tight end, its a safety option for a QB

Look at this, the great tight ends always make their QB very good:

Tony Gonzalez, the reason trent green is good
Antonio Gates, Brees sucked without him
Alge Crumpler, without him wowwwww would vick be disgusting

Great Recievers, yet a bad QB

Bledsoe: Moulds, Lee Evans

Josh McCown: Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald

and others but i dont feel like typin anymore

BB2W
04-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Mike & Mike in the mourning had us picking Miller with the 30th pick in their mock draft.

I would be very happy if we got Miller, with the 30th pick he may be the best player available. He is one of the few players that could come in and start for us as a rookie. He is definitly an upgrade from Tuman, and I consider him a "cant miss" pick. You would get alot of value for such a low pick.........Here is a list of the last ten guys picked 30th in the draft.

1995 Browns-------- Craig Powell---------- LB Short-lived career
1996 Redskins------ Andre Johnson-------- OT Released a year later
1997 Packers------- Ross Verba------------ OT Successful career; now with Browns
1998 Broncos------- Marcus Nash---------- WR Non-descript career
1999 Falcons-------- Patrick Kerney-------- DE 13 sacks in '04
2000 Titans---------- Keith Bullock--------- LB Pro Bowl player in '03
2001 Colts----------- Reggie Wayne-------- WR 221 career receptions, 23 TDs
2002 Steelers------- Kendall Simmons----- G starter in '02 and '03; injured in '04
2003 Chargers------ Sammy Davis--------- CB 96 career tackles
2004 Lions----------- Kevin Jones---------- RB 1,133 yards as a rookie

BlitzburghRockCity
04-18-2005, 05:56 PM
We had a great TE in Bruener... who was a huge part of the offense from the running game standpoint.

BB2W
04-18-2005, 11:24 PM
Here is a question from Colbert and Cowhers pre-draft press conference........

Q: How do you view your tight end position, there are some good ones out there. If they are available, would you go there? If so, would that mean altering the philosophy?

COWHER: We have been talking about the tight end position since I have been here. It has never been one that has been used much in the passing game. But, certainly you like to keep those options open. I know when we got Jay (Riemersma) a couple years ago we felt good about what he was able to do in terms of utilizing him down the field. I think with Ben (Roethlisberger) in there, we have to continue to get some weapons around him, and that is an option. But we feel good about Jerame Tuman. I like Jerame. We have Walter Rasby coming back. We signed Marco Battaglia. I like him. He has had a couple years off. We got Matt Cushing back, so we have some bodies there, and we feel good about Jerame continuing to grow as a tight end. Certainly we wouldn't not look at that position if somebody were to show. Like I said, I feel good about our football team right now that we could take the best player. I think early, with that 30th pick you let the board kind of work itself.

ironcitychef
04-19-2005, 02:32 AM
I'm not sold on TE. I am sold on playmaking mismatch. By this I mean, why get a big league TE who will be underused in our system(I've been watching the Steelers for a while and I don't think the stat line of 2 catches 21 yards every week would have gotten Shannon Sharpe in the hall)? Why not take Jones and put him slot where he can stay wide or move in and create matchup problems. I just see Miller being content until contract time then bolting like Plax did cause they feel they can do so much more with their talents. I see us drafting Miller in a Shockey type setting where people question where the production is. Plus we currently have like 10 TE signed for what Miller would cost us.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-19-2005, 07:44 PM
Im perfectly content w/ Tuman.. when he's utilized in the passing game, he comes thru almost every time... but whats behind him is less than appealing.

ironcitychef
04-20-2005, 12:30 AM
Well that is the beauty with Jones. Tuman is still the #1 TE. Then cause he is big you could get into some interesting 2 TE sets...[goes to test theory on Maden 2005]

clevestinks
04-20-2005, 06:55 AM
Wel at least the 30 th pick got better as the years went on

Prosdo
04-21-2005, 06:53 AM
I'm not really too big on us taking Heath Miller. He does have talent no doubt and a great bit of it. I just would be more comfortable taking someone else that we would get more use of. If Matt Jones is still around I would like to see us take him.

HinesWard4Life8682
04-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Well that is the beauty with Jones. Tuman is still the #1 TE. Then cause he is big you could get into some interesting 2 TE sets...[goes to test theory on Maden 2005]

if heath miller gets drafted, tumans gonna have to watch out cuz heath millers starting for sure (unless an injury)

clevestinks
04-22-2005, 07:34 PM
I have to be honest , I`m not so sure about Heath Miller myself. I`m kinda liking the Matt Jones, even though he is projected a little later,

HinesWard4Life8682
04-22-2005, 10:59 PM
Matt Jones is shooting up the board

BlitzburghRockCity
04-23-2005, 11:45 AM
I have to be honest , I`m not so sure about Heath Miller myself. I`m kinda liking the Matt Jones, even though he is projected a little later,

He may be projected later, but, we dont pick again till late 2nd round, so if we want him, we gotta grab him. Randle EL was very good in his first year, and this guy has the size and hands to boot !!

clevestinks
04-23-2005, 04:36 PM
Its starting to look like Heath Miller???????????????????//

Prosdo
04-23-2005, 05:18 PM
Indeed it is. 3 more till us.

mmalone
05-05-2009, 12:54 PM
test post

Steel Head
05-05-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm not really too big on us taking Heath Miller. He does have talent no doubt and a great bit of it. I just would be more comfortable taking someone else that we would get more use of. If Matt Jones is still around I would like to see us take him.

glad we didnt listen to you!

sherlock
05-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Wow,thanks for `bumping` this thread Steel Head
It`s interesting how the drafting of the mighty Heeeeeeeath prompted such a negative reaction.
Perhaps the 6 times SB champs FO know what they`re doing!

BehindSteelCurtain
05-05-2009, 05:17 PM
I can't believe the Steelers passed on Matt Jones for Heath Miller.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-05-2009, 06:43 PM

:rofl: I was hating all the Matt Jones hype even more than the Greg Jones hype!!!

I honestly had us going CB Justin Miller in my mock that year, but was perfectly fine with getting the best TE in the draft at #30.

Big7BenHOF
05-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Ha. It's so fun looking back at some of this stuff.

Steel Head
05-05-2009, 09:35 PM

actually Jones was drafted before Miller

(thank you Jax)

NEPAsteeler
05-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Thank you Jacksonville for taking Jones and allowing us to take one of the most underrated TEs in the game right now.

steelwall
05-05-2009, 10:41 PM
It is pretty cool to see the older threads like this.

MasterOfPuppets
05-06-2009, 01:47 AM
actually logan mankins or lofa tattupu(sp), woulda been excellent picks that year as well.....:popcorn:

klick81
05-06-2009, 12:14 PM
It's like I went back in time...

St33lersguy
05-06-2009, 03:05 PM
To think the Steelers actually considered Matt Jones

STEELtownHAVOX
05-06-2009, 04:37 PM
I wish Heath would cut coke in his car, it's the cool thing to do.

Rhee Rhee
05-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Though Miller was unable to run the 40-yard dash at the combine, he reportedly runs in the 4.6-second range.

umm yup shua...

the man ran a 4.87 at his campus proday... just see the 05 playoffs game against the colts and you'll know he's not a 4.6 guy... knowshon moreno ran a 4.6 and 4.63 at his proday... u can't tell me heath is as fast as moreno...

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-08-2009, 10:59 AM
actually logan mankins or lofa tattupu(sp), woulda been excellent picks that year as well.....:popcorn:

Same with Brandon Jacobs, Chris Canty or Ray Willis in the 4th round..........but we took Trai Essex in the 3rd instead. :doh:

revefsreleets
05-08-2009, 02:22 PM
40 times:doh:

Almost meaningless...

NEPAsteeler
05-08-2009, 02:25 PM
40 times:doh:

Almost meaningless...

Unless you're Al Davis... whose walking corpse still haunts the NFL.

revefsreleets
05-08-2009, 02:49 PM
I meant almost meaningless if you want to actually WIN on the field in the NFL.

That doesn't apply to crazy ole Al.