PDA

View Full Version : Steelers to wear black in Tampa

mesaSteeler
09-22-2010, 11:33 PM
| More
View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/09/22/steelers-to-wear-black-in-tampa/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

Steelers to wear black in Tampa
September 22nd, 2010

Here are some tidbits from the Steelers

-- As expected, the Steelers will be the men in black Sunday in Tampa Bay. Buccaneers coach Raheem Morris said during a conference call Wednesday that Tampa Bay will wear its home (white) jerseys for the 1 p.m. game.

He downplayed the effect that the heat will have on the Steelers even though they had dehydration issues last Sunday in Tennessee -- and the black jerseys they will again have to wear.

“I don’t know if you can use psychological warfare on a team like the Pittsburgh Steelers,” Morris said. “You’re talking about a mentally tough team that’s out there with their head coach that’s also mentally tough, and I don’t think he’s going to let little things like that that affect him.”

-- Morris had nothing but good things to say about Byron Leftwich, whom he benched last season after the Buccaneers got off to an 0-3 start.

Leftwich eventually gave way at quarterback to rookie Josh Freeman, a first-round draft pick in 2009. Morris said Leftwich mentored Freeman, who will start against the Steelers, even after he lost his starting job.

“He really gave us great direction in the beginning. He taught Freeman how to become a quarterback, how to lead as a quarterback, how to prepare,” Morris said. “It just so happens the success of the team didn’t happen right away as far as his leadership and being under his control. And a lot things play into that. Always the first person to get the blame would be the quarterback and the head coach is next.

“He’s a great guy. He’s got that Magic Johnson-like smile that everybody loves, and he lights up a room. He was a pleasure to be around for a year for me.”

-- The Steelers have re-signed defensive tackle Steve McLendon to their practice squad. Also, outside linebacker James Harrison has been named AFC Defensive Player of the Week.

Harrison had 11 tackles and two sacks in the Steelers’ demolition of the Titans. He also forced two fumbles and recovered a fumble in the Steelers’ 19-11 win.

Fire Arians
09-22-2010, 11:38 PM
not like it helped the titans. i personally hate when hot weather teams do this. home jerseys are for home, and away jerseys should be for away. if they don't want to wear their own dark colors then ****ing change them.

that or they should let us wear the throwback yellow jerseys if they're gonna pull that noise

Pittsburgh43
09-23-2010, 01:23 AM
Speaking of throwbacks: Are we wearing the throwbacks anytime this year?

Tone's Toes
09-23-2010, 07:52 AM
3 straight games in the Black. I wonder what the longest stretch of games in one uniform was. The SB XL run?

LVSteelersfan
09-23-2010, 09:23 AM
I love the black jersies because the Steelers look intimidating in them. I know it is tough on them for a game or two but those jersies are awesome. I don't feel like it is the same Steelers in those white jersies for some reason. I do think the visiting team should be able to choose an alternate dark jersey in these cases. After all some teams dark jerseys are powder blue. The Steelers should have a dark jersey that is mainly gold.

SteelKnight
09-23-2010, 10:23 AM
-From Wiki
Like many other NFL teams located in subtropical climates, the Buccaneers traditionally wear their white jerseys at home during the first half of the season — forcing opponents to suffer in the darker colors during the hot summers and autumns in Tampa. Additionally, the visitors' bench of Raymond James Stadium is located on the east side of the stadium, which is in direct sunlight for 1 p.m. eastern games. The west sideline is in the shade.

Since the new uniforms were adopted, the Bucs wear the red jerseys for the final four home games, and for nearly all night home games.

The Bucs have worn their red jerseys for all home postseason games except for a January 6, 2008 playoff match against the New York Giants, where the Bucs wore white, as the temperature that day was unseasonably high.

kiuaswarrior
09-23-2010, 10:29 AM
-From Wiki
Like many other NFL teams located in subtropical climates, the Buccaneers traditionally wear their white jerseys at home during the first half of the season — forcing opponents to suffer in the darker colors during the hot summers and autumns in Tampa. Additionally, the visitors' bench of Raymond James Stadium is located on the east side of the stadium, which is in direct sunlight for 1 p.m. eastern games. The west sideline is in the shade.

Since the new uniforms were adopted, the Bucs wear the red jerseys for the final four home games, and for nearly all night home games.

The Bucs have worn their red jerseys for all home postseason games except for a January 6, 2008 playoff match against the New York Giants, where the Bucs wore white, as the temperature that day was unseasonably high.

This makes me laugh and I don't know why.

I guess they will take any advantage possible to win.

jus4bucs
09-23-2010, 12:01 PM
This makes me laugh and I don't know why.

I guess they will take any advantage possible to win.

Would you expect the Steelers to take every advantage they had to win a game?:banging:

kiuaswarrior
09-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Would you expect the Steelers to take every advantage they had to win a game?:banging:

We know the Patriots would.

joeyssteelcurtain
09-23-2010, 12:27 PM

The bucs need all the help they can get

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-23-2010, 11:44 PM
that or they should let us wear the throwback yellow jerseys if they're gonna pull that noise

What yellow jerseys? The Throwbacks I am familiar with are black with gold numbers, nametapes and piping.

Fire Arians
09-24-2010, 12:31 AM
What yellow jerseys? The Throwbacks I am familiar with are black with gold numbers, nametapes and piping.

http://dienu.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/steelers.jpg

they're kinda ugly but i suppose that's better than wearing all black when it's 100 degrees haha.

ricardisimo
09-24-2010, 03:53 AM
Black is slenderizing:
http://www.sportsocracy.org/imgs/jbetts.jpg
http://www.myhero.com/images/guest/g225747/hero64148/g225747_u74594_jerome_bettis.jpg
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/peter_king/12/11/mmqb.week14/p1_bettis2.jpghttp://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0048azFdfu9ZD/340x.jpg

Steeler Fred
09-25-2010, 02:05 PM
The door swings both ways people, you know that. Home field advantage isn't just about crowd noise. The Bucs didn't win any games for years when the temp was below 35º, because they were C.O.L.D. They had no way to simulate those conditions and get their bodies acclimated. Same thing with the jersey colors. When there's a snowstorm, you put the opposing team in white because it makes it harder for the QB to spot his receivers.

Same deal with the dark jerseys soaking up the heat. The Bucs aren't dummies.. you use your location to give you a edge. That said, temps in Tampa have cooled off some in the last 2 weeks.. wouldn't worry too much.

Makes you wonder why cold weather teams build domes.... :noidea:

SteelCityMom
09-25-2010, 02:31 PM
The door swings both ways people, you know that. Home field advantage isn't just about crowd noise. The Bucs didn't win any games for years when the temp was below 35º, because they were C.O.L.D. They had no way to simulate those conditions and get their bodies acclimated. Same thing with the jersey colors. When there's a snowstorm, you put the opposing team in white because it makes it harder for the QB to spot his receivers.

Same deal with the dark jerseys soaking up the heat. The Bucs aren't dummies.. you use your location to give you a edge. That said, temps in Tampa have cooled off some in the last 2 weeks.. wouldn't worry too much.

Makes you wonder why cold weather teams build domes.... :noidea:

Yeah...especially in Minnesota. Winter time was their biggest advantage. And I'm completely sold on the reason that they've never been to another SB since '74 is because they built that dome.

Steeler Fred
09-25-2010, 03:08 PM
Yeah...especially in Minnesota. Winter time was their biggest advantage. And I'm completely sold on the reason that they've never been to another SB since '74 is because they built that dome.

Wonder what Chicago's excuse is? :rofl:

rick723
09-25-2010, 08:37 PM
not like it helped the titans. i personally hate when hot weather teams do this. home jerseys are for home, and away jerseys should be for away. if they don't want to wear their own dark colors then ****ing change them.

It said Tampa's home jersey's were white. If I was a hot weather coach I would chose white as my home jersey too. Little do they know we like wearing black

stb_steeler
09-25-2010, 08:39 PM
I love the black jersies because the Steelers look intimidating in them. I know it is tough on them for a game or two but those jersies are awesome. I don't feel like it is the same Steelers in those white jersies for some reason. I do think the visiting team should be able to choose an alternate dark jersey in these cases. After all some teams dark jerseys are powder blue. The Steelers should have a dark jersey that is mainly gold.

I agree its hotter wearing the black, but the Steelers had no problem wearing the white ones to win the SB's....:wink02: