PDA

View Full Version : Mendy will win the rushing title this year

steelerchad
09-23-2010, 08:39 AM
I think he's going to have 1,500+ yards on the ground this year and take the rushing title. Pass blocking is suspect, but Flozell can still push a guy back a couple of yards. Kemo's a pretty good mauler and Pouncey is looking like he can take guys out of the middle.
I think the biggest thing that will help Mendy is when Ben comes back. Teams will have to respect the pass at that point and it should open up some lanes for Mendy. He's also one of the few feature backs in the NFL as many teams split carries more evenly.
With our defense playing like this, I think our run-pass ratio will be evenly balanced instead of 60-40 pass.
We may get back to salting away some low scoring victories in the 4th quarter with 8+ minute backbreaking drives.

Atlanta Dan
09-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Given the shelf life of running backs you never know when the wheels will come off

Just keeping Mendenhall healthy and delivering enough to help get the Steelers to the playoffs works for me - there is nada at RB if Mendenhall goes down

Tone's Toes
09-23-2010, 09:35 AM
BA will never call a run again once Ben comes back.

CaliStillersFan
09-23-2010, 10:44 AM
With the Ben coming back and the play of our defense, we might just do nothing but run the ball in the 2nd half of games. They're going to slaughter teams at this pace.

kiuaswarrior
09-23-2010, 11:39 AM
1,500+ yards? That's a bold statement. 1,300 seems the ballpark for me.

I can see him finishing top 5, but not 1st... not with our o-line.

(As of right now, he's on pace for 1,512... so touche... if he keeps it up)

colescott1
09-23-2010, 02:06 PM
I hate it when the progosticators start talking about "being on pace", when your 1 or 2 games into a season. Guess what? CJ was on pace for a 2272 yard season after week 1, and now, after week 2, is only on pace for 1408. Arian Foster was "on pace" for a 3568 yard season after week 1. (Still at a jaw dropping 2400 yd pace).

There are 8 teams that are "on pace" to be undefeated this season. Think thats gonna last?

I definately think things will open up for Mendy once we get our offense throwing the ball. Right now, its pretty clear that teams are just gonna stack the box. Bad news is, most of the time our offense will be 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Good news is, as in the OT run against the Falcons...if he can get past the box....hes gone.

pete74
09-23-2010, 02:19 PM
No way Mendenhall wins the rushing title. He's good but he's not the top back plus our line isn't the best. As long as CJ's dumb ass dosnt play the steelers every week he will take it again

lionslicer
09-23-2010, 02:24 PM
I think he could have a break out season once Ben comes back and teams respect the pass, it will open a lot up for him. 1500 yards? Possibly, Rushing title? No

Surprisingly McFadden from the Raiders has had some good games under the radar. Foster looks like he's off to a fast start, but the Texans showed last year they aren't consistant.

truesteelerfan
09-23-2010, 02:28 PM
A Steeler RB will NEVER win the rushing title as long as Ariens in our OC. He doesn't want to run, and only does so because he bosses tell him he has to. I bet if let free to call as he sees fit, he would probably run only 6 times per game just to say he runs the ball.

stiller39
09-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Wait til BB is back and they can't load up with 8-9 in the box. Mendy will show what a great back he is and our offense should be bomb!!!

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-23-2010, 05:20 PM
I don't think Mendy breaks 1500+ yards this season, but I think that he will land somewhere in the 1000 - 1300 yard range.

WIth Ben out these first four games, and us not having anything remotely NFL-caliber at QB for now, Mendy and company have been running into a brick wall of defenders stacked up in the box to stop the run. Once Ben comes back, and defenses have to start backing off the line of scrimmage (especially on Wallace's side of the field), running lanes are going to open up like the parting of the Red Sea, and Mendy will quickly get back to his 4.6 YPC from last season, if not better. As someone already stated, our Oline is not the greatest when it comes to pass protection, but they are all big maulers who excel at blasting defenders off the line of scrimmage (well, except for Essex).

pancake
09-23-2010, 10:27 PM
A Steeler RB will NEVER win the rushing title as long as Ariens in our OC. He doesn't want to run, and only does so because he bosses tell him he has to. I bet if let free to call as he sees fit, he would probably run only 6 times per game just to say he runs the ball.

I'm not sure, but I believe no Steeler has ever won a rushing title. Foster, Bettis and Parker have all been close. I think Willie would have if he didn't get hurt that one year.

MikeHaullace
09-23-2010, 10:38 PM
No. No he won't.

ZoneBlitzer
09-24-2010, 01:01 AM
No. No he won't.

Agreed.