View Full Version : Kemoeatu hurt, will play in Tampa

mesaSteeler
09-24-2010, 06:39 AM
Kemoeatu hurt, will play in Tampa
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_701069.html
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, September 24, 2010

Chris Kemoeatu said he "definitely" will play against the Buccaneers even though he hurt his left knee Thursday in practice. "A teammate fell on it, but the (doctors) checked it out and I don't think I tore anything," the Steelers' starting left guard said. "I know I'm going to be good to go on Sunday."

Starting left tackle Max Starks (ankle) and nose tackle Casey Hampton (hamstring) were full participants in practice yesterday, as was quarterback Byron Leftwich. Leftwich, who sprained his left knee Sept. 2, was not listed on the Steelers' official injury list. "With the (knee) brace and the tape, he looks like normal Byron out there," Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "He can make his handoffs and make bootlegs and move around in the pocket. If (Leftwich had to play Sunday) I think he would be fine."

With Leftwich set to back up Charlie Batch, wide receiver Antwaan Randle El will serve as the Steelers' emergency quarterback against the Buccaneers. Arians said the Steelers did not sign a quarterback after Dennis Dixon got hurt because they were comfortable with Randle El as the No. 3 signal-caller. "He'll play better than anyone we can (get) off the streets unless they've been in our system," Arians said.

Buccaneers rookie Cody Grimm, the son of former Southmoreland High School and Pitt star Russ Grimm, will start at free safety against the Steelers. Grimm takes over for Tanard Jackson, who was suspended by the NFL for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

In other injury news, wide receiver Hines Ward (calf) was limited in practice yesterday. Buccaneers tight end Kellen Winslow (knee) and center Jeff Faine (calf) did not practice yesterday.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.