PDA

View Full Version : Stink Bugs

lionslicer
09-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Most people who live in pittsburgh know these jerkwads :P
I hate them... I have Entomophobia, I'm scared of all bugs, but these guys are the worst because they stink if you kill them, plus blood and guts end up everywhere, you can't put them outside, because they come right back in. None of my cats will eat them. They crawl around all slow and on everything. If you leave your hand still, they will crawl on it. I'm afraid to wake up and have a bunch crawling on my body for heat.

http://i52.tinypic.com/ayor2h.jpg

SteelCityMom
09-24-2010, 02:54 PM
We have tons of them here too...I can deal with moths, spiders and mosquitos...but stinkbugs are just a pain in the ass.

Here's some tips on how to prevent infestations and deal with occurring infestations.

For insecticides that are good against stink bugs, I've found Talstar Pro works fairly well. You have to make sure to spray regularly though, because sunlight weakens it. http://shop.asktheexterminator.com/talstar-pro.html

Other tips:

-During the summer months, make an effort to seal up all cracks around the outside of your house to keep the stink bugs out. Any weep holes should be plugged using wire mesh. Foundation or attic vents should be equipped with tight-fitting screens to keep insects out. At the same time, you should make an effort to seal up the inside of your house as well. As long as it's done in the summer, sealing up the outside of your home is going to be the best way to keep stink bugs out of your house.

-Large concentrations of stink bugs in basements and attics should be removed with a vacuum cleaner, like a shop vac or something you can clean. The stink bugs will make it stinky, so you may not want to use your household vacuum cleaner. Also, make sure to dump the contents of your vacuum immediately into a bag that can be tied shut. And get rid of it immediately.

-Consider installing light traps in basements, attics and crawl spaces to attract and capture stink bugs. Since stink bugs are attracted to light, these devices can catch most of the insects before they have the opportunity to enter living spaces. Empty the light traps daily. And move them to a new spot once they seem to stop working; it just means the bugs have moved. (I want to get at least 2 or three of these)

-Discreetly placed sticky traps can capture some stink bugs. The best place for these sticky traps will be in windowsills, as stink bugs are attracted to the light. If no stink bugs appear to be in that location, move the trap to a different spot. These traps will also help you to find and monitor the primary hideouts of the stink bugs.

If it's really bad already, you might have to call an exterminator to get rid of them before taking these steps...hopefully it doesn't get that bad though.

A Mans Part
09-24-2010, 04:06 PM
I've heard that making a soapy water mix, putting it in a windex bottle, and squirting the ****ers. Something about dehydrating/clogging their pores and they die. Science.

Apparently they're too busy dehydrating to release the stink too.

Might be an urban myth though.

lionslicer
09-24-2010, 04:22 PM
I've heard that making a soapy water mix, putting it in a windex bottle, and squirting the ****ers. Something about dehydrating/clogging their pores and they die. Science.

Apparently they're too busy dehydrating to release the stink too.

Might be an urban myth though.

Heard that doesn't work. Plus I'm against killing bugs... I hate them, but I refuse to kill them because of my personal beliefs. So its worse for me. Like if my cats ate them, I wouldn't care, circle of life.

A Mans Part
09-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Heard that doesn't work. Plus I'm against killing bugs... I hate them, but I refuse to kill them because of my personal beliefs. So its worse for me. Like if my cats ate them, I wouldn't care, circle of life.

heh heh, ironic given your nickname.

lionslicer
09-24-2010, 05:13 PM
heh heh, ironic given your nickname.

Elephants are scared of mice, I rest my case.

MasterOfPuppets
09-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Elephants are scared of mice, I rest my case.
cartoons are not a good source of education.....:chuckle:

The urban legend about the largest animals on land (http://www.extremescience.com/zoom/index.php/animal-kingdom-records/2-largest-land-animal) (eg. elephants) being afraid of one of the smallest (mice) has been perpetuated in cartoons, as well as popular animated films, such as Disney's 'Dumbo'. It's not clear where the idea came from, but many people have theorized that elephants might be afraid of mice because they fear that the tiny creatures will crawl inside their trunks, irritating or blocking them. Elephants in captivity have been exposed to mice because they are frequently found in and around the elephants' feed (hay). Many caretakers have observed mice crawling on the trunks and faces of (awake) elephants and observed that the elephants take absolutely no notice of the mice, much less express fear or anxiety in their presence. Based onhttp://www.extremescience.com/images/elephant-mouse.jpg observations of interactions between elephants and mice, and the apparent peaceful coexistence, it's unclear where the myth may have originated.

lionslicer
09-24-2010, 07:25 PM
cartoons are not a good source of education.....:chuckle:

Mythbusters... I rest my case again ... And 100 years of studying elephants. Its a proven fact they are scared of mice. Okay not just mice, but they notice small animals on the ground and actually move back and take a much longer route around the animal. If you move a rock or anything in front of them, they actually know its not an animal, smart elephants are yes.

Picture is just a one of a kind. Humans are afraid of death, but about a million of them commit suicide every year... and succeed anyways, I think like 5 million commit it, just they get saved :P

MACH1
09-25-2010, 12:34 AM
Most people who live in pittsburgh know these jerkwads :P
I hate them... I have Entomophobia, I'm scared of all bugs, but these guys are the worst because they stink if you kill them, plus blood and guts end up everywhere, you can't put them outside, because they come right back in. None of my cats will eat them. They crawl around all slow and on everything. If you leave your hand still, they will crawl on it. I'm afraid to wake up and have a bunch crawling on my body for heat.

http://i52.tinypic.com/ayor2h.jpg

You call that little thing a stink bug.

This is a stink bug and they spray.

http://www.wonderquest.com/images/2003-06-13-stink-bug.jpg

Shea
09-25-2010, 01:12 AM
I don't get any funky insects inside my house just an occasional spider.

And as soon as I see them, they are instantly just a second or two away from being smeared remnants of what they were.

I respect your stance on not killing them Lion, but I'm so not ever going to be there. Yet I do apologize to those creepy ass F'ers afterwards.

ricardisimo
09-25-2010, 01:15 AM
I don't get any funky insects inside my house just an occasional spider.

And as soon as I see them, they are instantly just a second or two away from being smeared remnants of what they were.

I respect your stance on not killing them Lion, but I'm so not ever going to be there. Yet I do apologize to those creepy ass F'ers afterwards.
As long as you eat them later, it's OK, morally speaking.

MasterOfPuppets
09-26-2010, 05:40 AM
the damn chinese planted these bugs here !!!

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

Halyomorpha halys
http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/brown-marmorated-stink-bug/leadImage_leadimage (http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/brown-marmorated-stink-bug/leadImage/image_view_fullscreen)

Contents
The brown marmorated stink bug (BMSB), an insect not previously seen on our continent, was apparently accidentally introduced into eastern Pennsylvania. It was first collected in September of 1998 in Allentown, but probably arrived several years earlier. As of September 2010, Halyomorpha halys has been recorded from the following 37 counties, although it is probable that they are in all counties:
Adams, Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Berks, Blair, Bucks, Butler, Cambria, Carbon, Centre, Chester, Clinton, Columbia, Cumberland, Dauphin, Delaware, Franklin, Indiana, Lackawanna, Lancaster, Lebanon, Lehigh, Luzerne, Mercer, Mifflin, Monroe, Montgomery, Northampton, Northumberland, Perry, Philadelphia, Pike, Snyder, Washington, Westmoreland and York
It is also recorded from many other states such as:
California, Delaware, Maryland, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, D.C. and West Virginia
This true bug in the insect family Pentatomidae is known as an agricultural pest in its native range of China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan. Recently, the BMSB has become a serious pests of fruit, vegetables and farm crops in the Mid-Atlantic region and it is probable that it will become a pest of these commodities in other areas in the United States.
BMSB becomes a nuisance pest both indoors and out when it is attracted to the outside of houses on warm fall days in search of protected, overwintering sites. BMSB occasionally reappears during warmer sunny periods throughout the winter, and again as it emerges in the spring.