PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Colbert's Opening Statement On Immigration Hearing

SteelCityMom
09-24-2010, 09:44 PM
k1T75jBYeCs

Something quite sexy about a man who can make a valid point and be hilarious at the same time. I know some people think this is all one big joke, but at least he did what other farm workers do for a day. That's something a lot of Americans, even unemployed ones, would never be willing to do.

MACH1
09-25-2010, 12:38 AM
Colberts a joke and congress is a even bigger joke.

Shea
09-25-2010, 12:57 AM
Like most members of Congress I haven't read it .... :sofunny:

You've got one thing right within that.

SteelCityMom
09-25-2010, 01:41 AM

You're just salty.

Maybe you just need to take it for what it is...actual political comedy (no...not the kind that Rush, Olbermann and Beck produce by accident).

Have a cookie and relax! :chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
09-25-2010, 03:29 AM
it really,really, REALLY, pisses me off the way these pro illegal goobers , try to paint a picture of 10 - 12 million immigrants doing nothing but picking produce for a couple of dollars a day , and 0 americans are affected by their presence.

BULLLL SH I I I I T !!! .... give me 1 week and a team of ice agents and i guarantee i'll unearth 1000 illegal immigrants doing construction work, AND , i'll find 1000 american citizens that'll be more than happy to have those 1000 jobs.

go to any construction site in DC, you couldn't throw a rock without hitting an illegal ..

MACH1
09-25-2010, 03:30 AM
I didn't know congress was subpoenaing comedy acts know?

MasterOfPuppets
09-25-2010, 03:40 AM
congress IS a comedy act....unfortunately, its not that funny cause we have to pay for it ..:doh:

Wallace108
09-25-2010, 03:46 AM
congress IS a comedy act....unfortunately, its not that funny cause we have to pay for it ..:doh:

:sofunny:
And apparently everything is so peachy in America right now that they have nothing better to do than to be entertained by Colbert. :popcorn:

MasterOfPuppets
09-25-2010, 04:02 AM
:sofunny:
And apparently everything is so peachy in America right now that they have nothing better to do than to be entertained by Colbert. :popcorn:
on our dime ...:thumbsup:

Atlanta Dan
09-25-2010, 08:33 AM
No matter which side of the debate you are on regarding illegals, having Colbert "testify" (he scammed the committee by submitting plain vanilla prepared remarks and then reverting to character in his live testimony) was another PR fiasco for the Dems in Congress - the staffer who thought this stunt up should be fired

It is as if the Dems are running a lab experiment to see what they can do to maximize their losses in the midterms

That having been said, the punch line on the exchange on corn packing between Colbert and the GOP congressman who was the unknowing (I think) straight man was pretty funny

YsvclalwR7k

SteelCityMom
09-25-2010, 12:44 PM
it really,really, REALLY, pisses me off the way these pro illegal goobers , try to paint a picture of 10 - 12 million immigrants doing nothing but picking produce for a couple of dollars a day , and 0 americans are affected by their presence.

BULLLL SH I I I I T !!! .... give me 1 week and a team of ice agents and i guarantee i'll unearth 1000 illegal immigrants doing construction work, AND , i'll find 1000 american citizens that'll be more than happy to have those 1000 jobs.

go to any construction site in DC, you couldn't throw a rock without hitting an illegal ..

No, of course not...I don't think anyone really buys that at all. But I would think most people are willing to accept the reality that as long as there are businesses who are willing and able to pay people well below minimum wage, there will be illegal immigrants willing to fill the positions. Farm labor just happens to be the largest of them all. Maybe next time he should see how many construction workers are willing to work for absolutely shit wages?

As much of a joke as everyone thinks Colbert is...he made this point in his speech (in a roundabout way). Those who didn't catch onto it either didn't watch or weren't paying attention.

I also found it funny that he pointed out that he was only 1 of 16 people that actually took on the task of going and doing what illegal immigrants do in the fields everyday. You'd think with the unemployment rate as high as it is nationwide...and the obvious influence that the likes of Stewart and Colbert have over everyone's minds ( :chuckle: ) that the number would have been higher. It wasn't.

Maybe everyone missed this fact, but Colbert was there IN FAVOR of the new Agricultural Bill (which would put restrictions on who farm owners hire and how they are paid). I'd think you Republicans would be in favor of that. But nooooooo, he's just an evil dem, nothing to see here. :sofunny:

SteelCityMom
09-25-2010, 01:00 PM

I think I'd trust comedians running this country more than the morons who are just fun to point and laugh at.

I agree...Congress is an absolute joke. Colbert made sure to make subtle jokes at their expense as well, right 'in their house'. I can respect that.

A Mans Part
09-25-2010, 01:51 PM
No, of course not...I don't think anyone really buys that at all. But I would think most people are willing to accept the reality that as long as there are businesses who are willing and able to pay people well below minimum wage, there will be illegal immigrants willing to fill the positions. Farm labor just happens to be the largest of them all. Maybe next time he should see how many construction workers are willing to work for absolutely shit wages?

As much of a joke as everyone thinks Colbert is...he made this point in his speech (in a roundabout way). Those who didn't catch onto it either didn't watch or weren't paying attention.

I also found it funny that he pointed out that he was only 1 of 16 people that actually took on the task of going and doing what illegal immigrants do in the fields everyday. You'd think with the unemployment rate as high as it is nationwide...and the obvious influence that the likes of Stewart and Colbert have over everyone's minds ( :chuckle: ) that the number would have been higher. It wasn't.

Maybe everyone missed this fact, but Colbert was there IN FAVOR of the new Agricultural Bill (which would put restrictions on who farm owners hire and how they are paid). I'd think you Republicans would be in favor of that. But nooooooo, he's just an evil dem, nothing to see here. :sofunny:

If everyone in congress made their points with the subtle wit of Steven Colbert..

People might care about politics again.

MACH1
09-25-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm sorry but your giving him too much credit for spending 1 day on farmer browns farm. I'd have a bit more respect for him if he moved a few miles of hand lines or spent a day bucking and stacking 100 lb hay bales onto a moving trailer. Anybody here that's done that knows what I'm talking about. And as far as pay goes I've spent many a summer doing it for free.
What I find funny is how the dem's are making out how the farmers and farm jobs are evil. Remember the illegals or legals have a choice to take the job or not, it's not like somebody's holding a gun to their head and making them work on a farm.

SteelCityMom
09-25-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm sorry but your giving him too much credit for spending 1 day on farmer browns farm. I'd have a bit more respect for him if he moved a few miles of hand lines or spent a day bucking and stacking 100 lb hay bales onto a moving trailer. Anybody here that's done that knows what I'm talking about. And as far as pay goes I've spent many a summer doing it for free.
What I find funny is how the dem's are making out how the farmers and farm jobs are evil. Remember the illegals or legals have a choice to take the job or not, it's not like somebody's holding a gun to their head and making them work on a farm.

No, I know that. I'm not saying their evil...but they are exploiting cheap labor. Illegal immigrants are happy (well maybe not happy, but willing) to do the work for wages that almost every American would scoff at. In turn, Americans are happy to pay low prices for their fruits and vegetables (yet turn around and complain about illegals "taking their jobs"...which, for the most part, are jobs that Americans aren't willing to do...as illustrated by the UFW's Take Our Jobs initiative).

Just because you spent a couple summers doing it for free, doesn't mean that the majority of Americans would do hard, dirty seasonal work like that for well under minimum wage. They'd rather collect unemployment.

I still think he makes a good point that if more seasonal work visas are handed out, it would eventually improve working conditions and wages, which would in turn make the jobs more desirable to Americans and in turn would cut down on the demand for illegal labor (at least in regards to farm work).

I think we can all agree that something needs to be done about it. It's hypocritical to sit back and be ok with the low prices of our produce, but get angry at the illegals who are picking them. Just can't have it both ways ya know.

I'm not sure how you walked away from that speech as him saying that farms are evil though. I can only assume that you didn't watch it. He's saying there needs to be labor reforms to make the jobs more desirable to Americans, because it certainly isn't desirable work for them now. An illegal Mexican can cross the border, do seasonal farm work in America and make more money to support his family in Mexico than a legal American can here in America. There's a reason illegals are doing most of this work...trust me.