PDA

View Full Version : Penguins Report: (Preseason) Game Day vs. Columbus

SteelCityMom
09-25-2010, 12:19 PM
The Penguins will host the Columbus Blue Jackets Saturday night, in what will be the "Ultimate Home Game," in front of a sold out crowd of students and youth hockey players.

The game will be broadcast on Pittsburgh's CW (WPCW) with Paul Steigerwald and Bob Errey making the call. The action can also be heard on the Penguins' flagship station at 105.9 the X (WXDX-FM).

The Penguins teamed with ImaginePittsburgh.com to put on the "Ultimate Home Game," which helps emphasize the growing job opportunities for young college graduates and apprentices in the Pittsburgh region. ImaginePittsburgh.com distributed 8,000 tickets to students from participating post-secondary schools, while the Penguins donated tickets to the Pittsburgh Amateur Hockey League (PAHL), as well as to members of the Penguins Kids' Club and Tickets for Kids Foundation.

Complete rosters for the game are below:

PENGUINS

Forwards
9 Pascal Dupuis
12 Brett Sterling
15 Dustin Jeffrey
18 Chris Conner
22 Tim Wallace
23 Ryan Craig
38 Nick Johnson
42 Eric Tangradi
45 Arron Asham
46 Joe Vitale
48 Tyler Kennedy
71 Evgeni Malkin
87 Sidney Crosby

Defensemen
2 Corey Potter
4 Zbynek Michalek
5 Deryk Engelland
8 Andrew Hutchinson
20 Steve Wagner
44 Brooks Orpik
47 Simon Despres
58 Kris Letang

Goaltenders
29 Marc-Andre Fleury
39 Brad Thiessen

BLUE JACKETS

Forwards
11 Matt Calvert
15 Derek Dorsett
16 Derick Brassard
24 Derek MacKenzie
28 Nikita Filatov
36 Ryan Johansen
39 Trevor Frischmon
40 Jared Boll
43 Maksim Mayorov
61 Rick Nash
85 Oliver Gabriel
93 Jakub Voracek

Defensemen
2 Nate Guenin
4 John Moore
35 Jan Hejda
45 Brent Regner
49 Theo Ruth
51 Fedor Tyutin
58 David Savard
63 Michael Ratchuk

Goaltenders
1 Steve Mason
80 Daren Machesney

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=538532

Shea has said the game will be on NHL Network as well, but anyone who doesn't live in Pittsburgh or have NHL Network should be able to find an online stream for it. PM me for links if you wish. (try to wait closer to game time as most links will become available later in the day)

SteelCityMom
09-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Crosby "Ready to Go" Saturday vs. Columbus
Saturday, 09.25.2010 / 11:39 AM / Features
By Sam Kasan
Sidney Crosby was on the ice for the Penguins’ Saturday morning skate and will be in the lineup when Pittsburgh hosts the Columbus Blue Jackets at CONSOL Energy at 7 p.m.

Crosby did not play in the third period of the Penguins’ 5-1 triumph over the Detroit Red Wings Wednesday night with a sore hip.

“It’s something I’ve been dealing with for a while now,” Crosby said. “Although it would be nice if I didn’t, but I do and I just have to make sure to be careful. The main goal is to be ready for the season, so whatever that means in terms of precautions.”

“It was more precautionary than anything,” head coach Dan Bylsma said. “He skated (Friday) for a lengthy practice. He’s ready to go for tonight.”

Crosby rested the hip on Thursday, but was back on the ice Friday for practice and will lace up the skates Saturday against the Blue Jackets.

Crosby, who missed a few games last season with a groin injury, worked over the summer on strengthening his lower body to prevent such injuries from occurring.

“It’s something I focus on every year, but with more time in the offseason I figured that I might be able to tackle it a bit more,” he said. “It doesn’t mean that it’s not going to happen, but I was hoping that the extra work and extra time would help it. I think it’s always going to be something that I have to deal with, but the more I can minimize it the better.”

Even though some injuries may be inevitable no matter how much a player prepares, Crosby believes it is best to do everything within your power to lessen the chance of injuries.

“We play a hard sport and it’s hard on our bodies,” Crosby said. “It’s not any different than any other sport where there are common injuries. But the more you do to prevent it and strengthen everything else hopefully you have a better chance to get yourself healthy.”

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=538604

Shea
09-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Pens hockey is on tonight! :banana:

I think I'm gonna ....

Oops nevermind.

Shea
09-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Loved watching the game last night.

Tons of fights and even Geno dropped the gloves.

They'll be on NHL Network again on Tuesday night. :tt03:

SteelCityMom
09-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Loved watching the game last night.

Tons of fights and even Geno dropped the gloves.

They'll be on NHL Network again on Tuesday night. :tt03:

Yeah it was definitely a great game...my boy Tanger dropped the gloves twice too! I was surprised to see him and Geno mixing it up lol.

Fleury had a great game as well with 32 saves.

Pens won 3-1....next game tomorrow against Chicago, that should be a good one...hopefully I can find somewhere to watch at least one of their games against them.

SteelCityMom
09-27-2010, 10:33 AM
Penguins KO Blue Jackets
Team Toughness Leads to Victory
Saturday, 09.25.2010 / 10:15 PM / Penguins Report
By Sam Kasan
No one is going to mistake Penguins defenseman Kris Letang with tough guys Eric Godard or Arron Asham. Letang’s 102 career penalty minutes are paltry in comparison to Godard (728) and Asham (818).

But in the Penguins’ 3-1 victory over Columbus at CONSOL Energy Center Saturday night, Letang put in his bid to become the team’s newest enforcer and brawler with not one, but two fights in the contest.

“I don’t think that’s going to happen,” he joked at the prospect of replacing Godard and Asham.

Letang brought the sell out crowd of students and amateur hockey youth to a crescendo of screams when he sparred with Matt Calvert halfway through the second period. The Penguins blueliner handled his own and got the better of Calvet in the battle.

Letang wasn’t finished yet. The Montreal, Quebec native dropped the gloves again in the third period with Jakub Voracek. This time it was a no contest KO for Letang, who pummeled Voracek with blow after blow in an intense exchange.

“It’s part of the game,” said Letang about his first career two-fight night. “Both times I hit the guy and he turned around and asked me to go. … All the guys here stick up for each other. That’s the philosophy of our team.”

“It’s nice to see guys step up and go bat at the plate for the team,” Asham said. “That’s what’s going to win hockey games for us is everyone sticking up for each other and playing as a team. We showed that tonight.”

RELATED ARTICLE: Fleury Steals The Show With 32-Save Performance >>

Letang wasn’t the only Penguin taking some frustration out on opponents via fisticuffs. Eric Godard, Tim Wallace and even Evgeni Malkin also fought for Pittsburgh.

The bouts provided some excitement to a game that was relatively tight checking and low scoring. The Penguins pulled out the win on goals from Pascal Dupuis, Malkin and Asham.

Michael Ratchuk got Columbus on the board with a smooth backhand goal 12 minutes into the first period.

Ratchuk spun into the far circle and lifted a backhand shot over a sprawling Marc-Andre Fleury, the only blemish on a beautiful performance by the Pittsburgh netminder.

Dupuis evened the score with his first of the preseason with 3:12 remaining in the second period. Ratchuk pulled the puck out from behind his net, but the rubber slid off his stick and right to Dupuis to the left of the goal. Dupuis quickly snapped a shot over the glove of Steve Mason for the tally.

“The guys had a good forecheck,” Dupuis said. “Ash took the body and that forced them into a turnover. They put the puck right on a platter for me and I was able to finish it off.”

The Penguins netted the lead 2:47 into the third frame. Malkin carried the puck down the near side and dished to Andrew Hutchinson. Hutchinson carried deep into the zone and dished back between the circles to Malkin, who surprised Mason with a quick shot along the ice and into the net.

Pittsburgh’s third goal came in the final minutes of the third period to secure the victory. Dustin Jeffrey won a faceoff in the offensive zone, getting the puck to Letang at the far point. Letang’s shot squeezed through Mason and dribbled in the paint. Asham, who also had an assist in the contest, came in for the slam dunk.

“It’s always nice to chip in here in there,” Asham said. “It’s good to get the confidence going into the regular season. Hopefully, I can continue.”

Don’t expect to see Letang dropping the gloves regularly or Asham racking up points at will. However, the result was a win.

Head coach Dan Bylsma summarized it best:

“It’s not often that some of those skilled guys are in those situations. So be it.”

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=538652

A Mans Part
09-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Lets just hope this carries into the playoffs..

[the regular season barely matters in the NHL.]

SteelCityMom
09-27-2010, 02:52 PM
[the regular season barely matters in the NHL.]

Tell that to the Maple Leafs and Oilers! :chuckle:

A Mans Part
09-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Tell that to the Maple Leafs and Oilers! :chuckle:

ha! I know you got my point..

I should have altered it to this "if you're a halfway decent team the regular season doesn't matter"