PDA

View Full Version : FO Decision QB

SteelKnight
09-26-2010, 06:19 PM
For fun, what would you do based on the information you now have on hand?

Tough decision for sure.

SteelCityMom
09-26-2010, 06:25 PM
I say keep them all on. 2 have already been dealing with injuries and then there's Batch. Just makes sense.

lionslicer
09-26-2010, 06:27 PM
Well they could put Dixon on IR and they wouldn't have to cut anyone :P

SteelKnight
09-26-2010, 06:28 PM
What I would do is try to trade Dixon to Buffalo or Carolina (just can't let him end up on Cleveland).
He's a nice guy and a talented guy but he is young and I'm sure he doesn't want to spend his entire career behind Ben. They won't offer him a large contract since he is a back up. We don't have free practice seasons to develop him like some of these other teams could do.

What I think the Steelers will do is cut Batch...just because of his age. Leftwich has better long term future with the team. They'd like to defer the decision on Dixon. If Dixon was injured worse, that would be the best scenario for them to place him on IR and decide later...but that's not the case.

SteelKnight
09-26-2010, 06:32 PM
Well they could put Dixon on IR and they wouldn't have to cut anyone :P

I was writing as you posted. I don't know what the spirit of the rule is. My thought was if you felt the player couldn't help you again this season (or it would be too late). Dixon's injury is the type that should recover in 3-4 weeks.

I think Wells had the same type of injury and just 2 weeks later he was practicing (not fully).

lionslicer
09-26-2010, 06:35 PM
What I would do is try to trade Dixon to Buffalo or Carolina (just can't let him end up on Cleveland).
He's a nice guy and a talented guy but he is young and I'm sure he doesn't want to spend his entire career behind Ben. They won't offer him a large contract since he is a back up. We don't have free practice seasons to develop him like some of these other teams could do.

What I think the Steelers will do is cut Batch...just because of his age. Leftwich has better long term future with the team. They'd like to defer the decision on Dixon. If Dixon was injured worse, that would be the best scenario for them to place him on IR and decide later...but that's not the case.

Trading Dixon isn't a bad idea. Any team in need of a quarterback would give the Steelers some nice draft picks, which they might need due to some contract issues this off season.

They'll never cut Batch, unless a QB coach retires/leaves, they'll give him the option to retire and take the place on the coaching squad, which would actually be a pay cut for him, so who knows if he'll do it. He's too much of a fan and player favorite to cut. Cutting a player who is a mentor to players can destroy team moral.
Idk what they'll do with Leftwich, if they trade Dixon, he'll stay, if Dixon stays, he's gone.

lionslicer
09-26-2010, 06:36 PM
I was writing as you posted. I don't know what the spirit of the rule is. My thought was if you felt the player couldn't help you again this season (or it would be too late). Dixon's injury is the type that should recover in 3-4 weeks.

I think Wells had the same type of injury and just 2 weeks later he was practicing (not fully).

Teams can put a player who isn't injured on the IR because they want to keep the on the team, but don't have room on the practice squad or roster to keep them around on the payroll. But once a player is on IR they can't come off, hence why Leftwich was actually released instead of just put on IR and taken off.

SteelKnight
09-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Teams can put a player who isn't injured on the IR because they want to keep the on the team, but don't have room on the practice squad or roster to keep them around on the payroll. But once a player is on IR they can't come off, hence why Leftwich was actually released instead of just put on IR and taken off.

Really, they don't have to be injured? That's tricky. I don't believe that's true. Many teams would be using that to protect players. That can't be the spirit of the law.

SteelKnight
09-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Hmmm...nobody is saying to cut Batch but that's what I think the Steelers will do...unless batch throws 4TDs next week. lol

SteelKnight
09-26-2010, 11:03 PM
I say keep them all on. 2 have already been dealing with injuries and then there's Batch. Just makes sense.

OK SCMom...which other player would you cut from the 53 to be able to keep all 4?

SteelKnight
09-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Lefty seems like the most solid future investment even though he may get cut. He's 30 so he can be the back up for the next 5 years. He has accepted his role as back up.

Neither Dixon nor Batch look to be able to offer the Steelers 5 years of back up. Dixon won't want to spend his young career sitting behind Ben and Batch doesn't have 5 years in him.

Trading Dixon would be right. Leftwich could be #2 for the next 5 years. Batch could do #3 this year and Next year. The lack of hits keep him healthy. After next year, they can pick up a young player to groom as the #3.

DanRooney
09-27-2010, 01:07 AM
There is no trade value is Dixon, period. He'll be released.

whatdoiknow
09-27-2010, 01:10 AM
I really hope the Steelers select a QB in the draft next year. I know we won't select a 1st round QB. But depending on how high he rises, I really like the potential of Iowa's Ricky Stanzi. Anyone else here like his potential ?

MasterOfPuppets
09-27-2010, 01:14 AM
Really, they don't have to be injured? That's tricky. I don't believe that's true. Many teams would be using that to protect players. That can't be the spirit of the law.

this is all i could find on it.... apparently the rule used to be they could come off IR after 4 weeks , now your done for the year once your on it.

NFL Injured Reserve Rules[/
[B]Players on Injured Reserve

According to the official NFL (http://www.ehow.com/facts_4779535_nfl-injured-reserve-rules.html#) injured reserve rules, once a player is placed on the I.R. list, he is unable to return to play until the end of his team's current schedule. Furthermore, he may not practice with his team until the conclusion of that season.Past NFL Injured Reserve Rules

The current NFL injured reserve rules were put in place in the mid-1980s. Before that, the rules dictated that a player only needed to miss the entire season if he was put on the I.R. list during the preseason. However, anyone put on injured reserve during the regular season (http://www.ehow.com/facts_4779535_nfl-injured-reserve-rules.html#) only needed to miss at least four games (http://www.ehow.com/hobbies-games/).Reason for the Rule Changes

It has been said that injured reserve policy in the National Football League (http://www.ehow.com/facts_4779535_nfl-injured-reserve-rules.html#) was changed because some franchise owners believed the rule was being abused. The suspicion was that some owners were using the rule to remove players who weren't hurt from the roster, thus freeing up space to sign an additional player and fill a need elsewhere on the team.Rule Violations

NFL players on injured reserve cannot practice with their team. In 2008, a former New England video assistant came forward and said that Patriots coach Bill Belichick had allowed players on the I.R. to practice with the team . The NFL investigated the matter as part of the now-infamous "Spygate" controversy, which resulted in the team being fined and stripped of a draft pick.Controversy

On January 30, 2009, the Chicago Tribune ran a story about Pittsburgh Steelers RB Rashan Mendenhall. Mendenhall, who was injured early in the season and subsequently placed on I.R., was healthy and could have participated in Super Bowl XLIII had NFL rules not prohibited it. Rumblings in the media and among fans suggest the rule should be changed again.

Read more: NFL Injured Reserve Rules | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/facts_4779535_nfl-injured-reserve-rules.html#ixzz10hwimxp5) http://www.ehow.com/facts_4779535_nfl-injured-reserve-rules.html#ixzz10hwimxp5

SteelKnight
09-27-2010, 01:40 AM
There is no trade value is Dixon, period. He'll be released.

I'll take a 7th rounder. I just don't want him to end up on the Browns. :noidea:

SteelKnight
09-27-2010, 01:50 AM
this is all i could find on it.... apparently the rule used to be they could come off IR after 4 weeks , now your done for the year once your on it.

I knew it was out for the season but the idea of it is supposed to be if the player is injured such that waiting for him to get better would actually put your team at a disadvantage. I don't think it was meant to put someone on IR who was only going to miss 3 weeks. I could see if it was going to be 9 weeks.

Anyway. We will know in 1 week. Nothing will surprise me...Dixon, Batch or Leftwich gone. It will surprise me if they release Dixon without trading him.

Even though you may not practice, you can still take in film and mental reps, coach, be with team on the sideline and learn (Hey...I've seen Colon on the sideline but has anyone seen Sweed?).

SteelKnight
09-27-2010, 02:30 AM
http://i.usatoday.net/sports/gallery/2009/NFL/weeklygallery/week6/s091018_steelersroethpg-horizontal.jpg

Curtain_of_Steel
09-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Trade dixon to Carolina? they already have 2 deadbeats do they need a 3rd, lol. Claussen's green showed up more than Dixons, if that is possible.

Claussen should sue that fat ass Charlie Weiss for convincing him he was a top QB in the draft, as Claussen would've sucked either way coming out than or the next year, but he wouldve had 60million more dollars to play with.

SteelKnight
09-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Trade dixon to Carolina? they already have 2 deadbeats do they need a 3rd, lol. Claussen's green showed up more than Dixons, if that is possible.

Claussen should sue that fat ass Charlie Weiss for convincing him he was a top QB in the draft, as Claussen would've sucked either way coming out than or the next year, but he wouldve had 60million more dollars to play with.

I think after a few practice games, Dixon will offer more than Claussen and Moore at the moment.

LVSteelersfan
09-27-2010, 10:16 AM
You guys can't seriously see Leftoversandwich as a long term solution at backup QB can you? The man is a statue. Batch moves around in the pocket much better than Lefty does but I am not even suggesting Batch should be the backup moving forward. I still think Dixon is the one who the coaching staff will stick with. Only time will tell.

kiuaswarrior
09-27-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm with the majority, cut Fat Albert.

SteelKnight
09-27-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm with the majority, cut Fat Albert.

I think it is interesting. We have such few votes but the moment the decision is made there will be tons of posts criticizing it no matter what it is.

It's a tough decision and it will be made in less than a week.

If then can finagel the IR system, that would be the best but it would mean Dixon would use a year of practice. Really the Bills should jump on Dixon.

stb_steeler
09-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Batch stays :coffee:

StainlessStill
09-27-2010, 05:33 PM
A very hard decision indeed, but if I had to make the decisions, you got to look at the overall picture.

Dennis Dixon is said to be a freak athlete and was said time and time again he needs to be utilized on the field. He could start on NFL teams looking to groom a young talented player.

Byron Leftwhich will now be a career backup journeyman and his starting days are over.

Charlie Batch has proven time and time again that he has a place here on the roster. He's been here since 2002, won some big games and comes cheap.

With that said, Charlie should be a lock for a camp body and backup for the next several years, and plus like I said he'll come at a discount. He's proven. Leftwhich will be a career backup from here on out and since Dixon is young and has a bright future, he should snag an oppurtunity with another organization since he has no future at starting QB for this team.

I'd say we should release Dixon or get some trade value for him, maybe an extra pick for the draft to maybe draft a QB late to compete for a spot in training camp while we have proven and solid veterans behind Ben in case he goes down.

That's the way I see it.

SteelKnight
09-27-2010, 05:47 PM
A very hard decision indeed, but if I had to make the decisions, you got to look at the overall picture.

Dennis Dixon is said to be a freak athlete and was said time and time again he needs to be utilized on the field. He could start on NFL teams looking to groom a young talented player.

Byron Leftwhich will now be a career backup journeyman and his starting days are over.

Charlie Batch has proven time and time again that he has a place here on the roster. He's been here since 2002, won some big games and comes cheap.

With that said, Charlie should be a lock for a camp body and backup for the next several years, and plus like I said he'll come at a discount. He's proven. Leftwhich will be a career backup from here on out and since Dixon is young and has a bright future, he should snag an oppurtunity with another organization since he has no future at starting QB for this team.

I'd say we should release Dixon or get some trade value for him, maybe an extra pick for the draft to maybe draft a QB late to compete for a spot in training camp while we have proven and solid veterans behind Ben in case he goes down.

That's the way I see it.

I'm in agreement except the part about Batch being cheap. He'll be cheap for a second string QB but often teams don't want to pay a 3rd string QB too much. He'll probably be close to a million (vet minimum). I don't tink the Steelers mind paying him a little extra though.

I really think if they cut Dixon though, next draft, they should find a youngster in the late rounds to develop on the PS to one day replace Batch as #3. In the long run it is just cheaper.