PDA

View Full Version : Penn: Steelers 'won the luck battle'

ETL
09-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Penn: Steelers ‘won the luck battle’
by Tom Balog
Source: Hearald-Tribune.com

TAMPA _ To Buccaneers offensive tackle Donald Penn, the Pittsburgh Steelers are not the team that scored five touchdowns, rushed for 201 yards on a 6.3- yard average, sacked Buccaneers quarterbacks four times, forced two takeaways and won by 25 points on Sunday.

”They won the ‘luck battle,’ ” Penn said after the Steelers’ 38-13 victory over the Buccaneers at Raymond James Stadium. “They had two lucky plays.”

He was referring to the ball that cornerback Aqib Talib tipped into the hands of Mike Wallace for the Steelers’ second touchdown and the fumble by rookie wide receiver Mike Williams, where the ball flew up into the hands of Pittsburgh safety Ryan Clark.

He compared Wallace’s touchdown to the one scored two weeks ago by Williams off a tipped ball in the end zone in the Buccaneers’ 17-14 season-opening win over the Cleveland Browns.

”The ball went our way that time. It went their way this time,” Penn said. “We can’t help that.”

The Steelers defense hurried more than a dozen throws by Tampa Bay quarterbacks, and helding the Buccaneers to 75 yards rushing.

But Penn said the point differential was not an indication of the high level of physicality of the Steelers as opposed to that of the Buccaneers.

”They won the score, they didn’t win the physical battle,” Penn said. “Go ask them. I know they have a lot of respect for us. As an offensive line, I know they have a lot of respect for us.

”Go watch the film. Please,” Penn said. “Because I was throwing those guys around. I was banging those guys more than anything.”

Steelerfreak58
09-26-2010, 10:13 PM
LOL he must have gotten a concussion cause he needs to get his head checked...

MattsMe
09-26-2010, 10:17 PM
:rofl::toofunny::sofunny:

What a tool.

steelerohio
09-26-2010, 10:18 PM
:chuckle:

None of what he said made no sense to me and it is downright funny... lucky? Sounds like a real good football team who had worked hard putting a can of whoop ass on them to me...

ETL
09-26-2010, 10:21 PM
To Buc fans credit - the majority of comments following this story were criticizing Penn for uttering such bombastic comments - however, there were a few who agreed with him "100%"

MasterOfPuppets
09-26-2010, 10:22 PM
here's your trophy penn

http://www.second-son.com/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/Loser_Trophy_Design_White-3.jpg

sharkweek
09-26-2010, 10:54 PM
LOL

So when the ball "bounces their way" they barely beat a reeling Brownies team, but when it bounces against them they get RAPED.

Fine, take your 14 points, its still 24-13 with a gimme touch down at the end, so why not make it 24-6. Oh yeah, with our 4th string QB.

And the best part is he's crying about physicality. Maybe he did beat up some defenders, but last I checked football is a team sport, and his teammates allowed 4 sacks where ours gave up how many? Was it zero?

Pretty sure the Steelers outplayed the Bucs in every phase of the game and won every major statistical battle, unless there's a stat that measures bruises or something to somehow support the idea of superior physicality.

Yeah, try again.

ZoneBlitzer
09-26-2010, 11:09 PM
I thought those two long throws were lucky but you have to be good to be lucky as they say. And they did more than enough to win convincingly.

MasterOfPuppets
Yeah Penn says he was banging these other guys, but then Gay reaches around him and gets the sack. Dude needs to man up on these blitzes.
:toofunny:

http://www.bbs.tbaybucs.com/index.php?/topic/4783-i-was-banging-those-guys-more-than-anything/

stb_steeler
Luck had nothing to do with it. Even with out the 2 turnovers wasnt enough to still win the game....Grow a brain!

SteelKnight
09-26-2010, 11:10 PM
LOL

So when the ball "bounces their way" they barely beat a reeling Brownies team, but when it bounces against them they get RAPED.

Fine, take your 14 points, its still 24-13 with a gimme touch down at the end, so why not make it 24-6. Oh yeah, with our 4th string QB.

And the best part is he's crying about physicality. Maybe he did beat up some defenders, but last I checked football is a team sport, and his teammates allowed 4 sacks where ours gave up how many? Was it zero?

Pretty sure the Steelers outplayed the Bucs in every phase of the game and won every major statistical battle, unless there's a stat that measures bruises or something to somehow support the idea of superior physicality.

Yeah, try again.

I know. They only started bouncing us around when we put our back ups in. lol

Those back ups messed with the defensive stats.

Raw Steel
09-26-2010, 11:16 PM
The Bucs are lucky Ike Taylor can't catch.

:thumbsup:

Steeler Fred
09-26-2010, 11:21 PM
38 - 21 = 17 - 13.

Fire Arians
09-26-2010, 11:33 PM
yeah the bucs are lucky freeman didn't throw 3 interceptions. one bounced off ike's hands and another off woodley. lucky/unlucky shit happens every game.

lucky win would be if we won by a field goal but you don't call it luck when you win by over 20 pts

Merchant
09-26-2010, 11:51 PM
"Throwing those guys around" ...I find that extremely hard to believe considering he was lined up against Harrison all day.

StainlessStill
09-27-2010, 07:05 AM
What the f_ck kind of moral victory is that? This is a physical game, but didn't we have like 5,000 QB hurries and hits? And they had like, 4? Haha, what about Mendenhalls 143 yard performance? Looks like we won the battle in the trenches, ask their defense how physical we were offensively and then we'd compare. That's like saying "Even though I failed the math test and that other kid didn't, I was still smarter! durrrRRrr deerr Durr"

38-13, now go home.

Steeldude
09-27-2010, 08:07 AM
well batch did get lucky on those two TD passes. those were not good passes.

lionslicer
09-27-2010, 08:13 AM
There is no luck in the NFL, its whatever team makes the least mistakes wins. If a cornerback drops a ball into a recievers hands, thats not luck, thats the cornerback screwing up.

Curtain_of_Steel
09-27-2010, 08:18 AM
Well back to what I said on previous posts on other threads when Penn states "thorwing those guys around" h emade accurate as he held harrison all day long, lol Only way to throw is to grab a hold of someone, lol

tunes4life
09-27-2010, 08:48 AM
:blah:

Wow, what a poor loser. While I will agree that luck does come into play in a lot of games, I think the Steelers have a little more 'luck' than other teams. But there is a reason for that. When receivers know they are about to get leveled and don't look the ball in so it is fumbled or intercepted, this is 'luck'. Teams make their own 'luck'.

steel-EERS
09-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Penn = loser

ricardisimo
09-27-2010, 05:05 PM
well batch did get lucky on those two TD passes. those were not good passes.
They weren't great, unless you consider how little time Batch had this year with the starters. If you factor that in, they were phenomenal. Ben still underthrows Wallace regularly, despite getting all or most of the reps.