PDA

View Full Version : Hoke injury will likely force Steelers hand on Dixon.

zulater
09-27-2010, 06:43 AM
The news was not all good Sunday for the Steelers despite the 38-13 beating they gave the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Raymond James Stadium. Veteran nose tackle Chris Hoke sprained his knee toward the end of the game, coach Mike Tomlin said. Hoke, who started last week against the Tennessee Titans and played extensively yesterday in place of Casey Hampton, is likely out for Sunday's game against the visiting Baltimore Ravens. If Hoke doesn't play, the Steelers may have to sign defensive tackle Steve McLendon from their practice squad to add depth.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_701461.html

I think Hoke's injury will force the Steelers hand on Dixon, I expect he'll either be put on IR or released by Friday. I suppose there's an outside chance he could get traded, but for who, for what? I really don't think there's any market for him. that's not to say DD wont get another chance in the NFL, but no one is going to give any value for him.

jjpro11
09-27-2010, 07:41 AM
that sucks.. Hoke is a great backup and could probably be starting on some teams. McLendon actually played well from what I saw at Tennessee. i didn't even realize he was on the roster before that game, but i noticed him a few times.

SteelKnight
09-27-2010, 09:01 AM
that sucks.. Hoke is a great backup and could probably be starting on some teams. McLendon actually played well from what I saw at Tennessee. i didn't even realize he was on the roster before that game, but i noticed him a few times.

I agree Hoke could be starting on some teams. It's no biggie though. he should be back after the bye.

The Dixon question looms large. I think 3 good fits for him are Buffalo, Washington and Carolina. Another team that would not be a great fit but which is desperate is Oakland.

I just don't want him to end up on Cleveland. The Jets could even release Kellen Clemans and pick him up.

whatdoiknow
09-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but, if Mclendon does comeback to the roster, don't they have to keep him on the 53 man roster the rest of the season ? Cause I don't think they are allowed to place him on the Practice squad twice in the same season.

zulater
09-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but, if Mclendon does comeback to the roster, don't they have to keep him on the 53 man roster the rest of the season ? Cause I don't think they are allowed to place him on the Practice squad twice in the same season.

Not sure? But i do know they have to create a roster spot if they want him to play and suit up against the Ravens. ( which they will) Of course one thing I didn't consider when I made this thread, that there is another player they could possibly release over Dixon, that being Tony Hills who was again deactivated for the Bucs game.

So I'd amend my opinion to say it's about 60% they'll release Hill's, 30 % they put dixon on IR, and 10% they outright release Dixon.

whatdoiknow
09-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Not sure? But i do know they have to create a roster spot if they want him to play and suit up against the Ravens. ( which they will) Of course one thing I didn't consider when I made this thread, that there is another player they could possibly release over Dixon, that being Tony Hills who was again deactivated for the Bucs game.

So I'd amend my opinion to say it's about 60% they'll release Hill's, 30 % they put dixon on IR, and 10% they outright release Dixon.

From everything I have heard, Tony Hills has looked great. I doubt they would cut Hills when he is finally 100 % healthy. And not without seeing what he can turn into.
How about releasing WR Battle ? If anything it would allow the Steelers to activate BOTH Antonio Brown AND E.Sanders :tt04:

LVSteelersfan
09-27-2010, 10:30 AM
There is no way they are going to release Dixon. It will be one of those ST players if it is anyone. Or perhaps the guy from Buffalo whose name I can't remember right now. But Dixon goes nowhere. He is the only young backup QB on the team. That would leave the Steelers with long in the tooth Batch or Leftoversandwich. I don't know enough about Hills to be able to comment if he might be the one.

whatdoiknow
09-27-2010, 10:33 AM
Jonathan Scott is whom you are talking about.

zulater
09-27-2010, 10:34 AM
There is no way they are going to release Dixon. It will be one of those ST players if it is anyone. Or perhaps the guy from Buffalo whose name I can't remember right now. But Dixon goes nowhere. He is the only young backup QB on the team. That would leave the Steelers with long in the tooth Batch or Leftoversandwich. I don't know enough about Hills to be able to comment if he might be the one.

Regardless dixon wont be a Steeler opening day 2011. He's not an NFL qb.

LVSteelersfan
09-27-2010, 10:43 AM
I just have this feeling that the Steeler's coaching staff think he has potential. Not every young QB comes out and wins like Ben did right off the bat. That happens once in a blue moon. I could see him getting put on IR to protect him before I would ever see him being released or traded. Lefty is not a long term answer at backup and Charlie Batch sure isn't. If they release Dixon they are going to have to draft a QB in next year's draft. Ben has been prone to concussions and may not be here as many years as we would hope he will be.

whatdoiknow
09-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Not withstanding Batch's performance yesterday...if Batch was released when Ben comes back, at his age, and his brittle history with Injuries,,,I just can't see any NFL team wanting him. But with Dixon, and even Leftwich, I CAN see both of them possibly being offered a deal with another team. So I say Cut Charlie after Ben returns. And if, God forbid we suffer a Injury for a week or 3 with Ben, we can always re-sign Charlie Batch.

lionslicer
09-27-2010, 10:53 AM

Steelers are short on O-Line men, and the way they've been getting injured, they wont release Hills.

whatdoiknow
09-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Steelers are short on O-Line men, and the way they've been getting injured, they wont release Hills.

As much as I agree with you on how short we are with O-Linemen. I wouldn't cry if they finally released Essex :applaudit:

zulater
09-27-2010, 11:19 AM

Tony Hills has been deactivated every game of his Steeler career ( including this past one) so far save one, that being last week against the Titans. He stunk.

Now fast foward to the present, the Steelers have to create a roster spot for McLendon, for at least one week. So who goes? Are you telling me that they couldn' find an offensivle lineman on the waiver wire or someone's practice squad who isn't the equal of Hill's if they need OL depth down the road?

zulater
09-27-2010, 11:21 AM
As much as I agree with you on how short we are with O-Linemen. I wouldn't cry if they finally released Essex :applaudit:

Essexx is a good player to have on the roster because he can play every position on the line except center with some degree of competency. He's not going anywhere, nor should he.

zulater
09-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Not withstanding Batch's performance yesterday...if Batch was released when Ben comes back, at his age, and his brittle history with Injuries,,,I just can't see any NFL team wanting him. But with Dixon, and even Leftwich, I CAN see both of them possibly being offered a deal with another team. So I say Cut Charlie after Ben returns. And if, God forbid we suffer a Injury for a week or 3 with Ben, we can always re-sign Charlie Batch.

How can you release Batch or Leftwich to create a roster spot for McLendon so he can suit up against the Ravens? We got to have two quarterbacks who can play on the roster this Sunday.

whatdoiknow
09-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Essexx is a good player to have on the roster because he can play every position on the line except center with some degree of competency. He's not going anywhere, nor should he.

If you actually think that of Essex. Then I can only assume he has some comprmising photos of you as well :hug: Saying Essex is a " Competent " OL is like saying " Paris Hilton " is a competent Actress :rofl:

zulater
09-27-2010, 11:30 AM
If you actually think that of Essex. Then I can only assume he has some comprmising photos of you as well :hug: Saying Essex is a " Competent " OL is like saying " Paris Hilton " is a competent Actress :rofl:

Actually he graded out best among our olineman ( other than Pouncey) against the titans. He can play on either side of the line ( not the easiest thing in the world) at either guard or tackle, the Steelers have won with him starting games at both guard and tackle, and the coaching staff likes him. Look he's not my favorite player either ( ability wise) but he's a proven NFL commodity, even if he's a mediocre one. Hills on the other hand would have to step up his game several levels to approach mediocrity. Bottom line there's zero chance that Essexx will be released, Hill's I think he's teetering on the brink today.

whatdoiknow
09-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Sorry ZUlater but, the grading him is probably the one Essex caught molesting children :-) I have seen Essex give up 5 sacks to a single player in a game. He is slow, weak..( Max Bench press I heard was 280 Lbs one time. Hell I am 178 Lbs and easily bench 485 lbs )...and he has a soft demeanor. Yes we have won with him...but NEVER because of him. The Raiders have won games with Russell at QB...So what ? You think the Steelers should sign him ?

Sorry sir but Essex Sucks!

MACH1
09-27-2010, 12:02 PM

My guess is that Dixon gets put on IR. After Ben comes back do we really need 4 qb's on the roster? And right now Dixon is even more worthless in sweats on the sideline.

MikeHaullace
09-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Hell I am 178 Lbs and easily bench 485 lbs

You have lost any and all credibility.

madrax
09-27-2010, 12:22 PM

Talking about releasing Essex is ludicrous and absurd. Who starts at RG, Ramon Foster? Seriously? Or do you slide Legursky to RG and have Foster backup both guard positions while Legursky is also backup Center?

Besides, your assessment of Essex is very limited, as is anybody else's on this forum. I would rather listen to the insight of the guy who plays right next to him:

Trais my right guard, so hes always right next to me, Pouncey said. He helps me out so much. Im so happy to have him there. Hes a real smart football player.

from
http://tribune-democrat.com/ericknopsnyder/x1209409665/Eric-Knopsnyder-Pouncey-makes-big-first-impression-with-Steelers

We have 10 LBs on the roster and 10 DBs. If anybody gets cut to make room, look for those areas to be targeted.

lionslicer
09-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Tony Hills has been deactivated every game of his Steeler career ( including this past one) so far save one, that being last week against the Titans. He stunk.

Now fast foward to the present, the Steelers have to create a roster spot for McLendon, for at least one week. So who goes? Are you telling me that they couldn' find an offensivle lineman on the waiver wire or someone's practice squad who isn't the equal of Hill's if they need OL depth down the road?

I'm sure they could throw a rock and find a better offensive linemen, I really don't know why he's still there, could be a contract issue. But I bet there is a way better chance Dixon goes on IR than Hills getting cut.

zulater
09-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Talking about releasing Essex is ludicrous and absurd. Who starts at RG, Ramon Foster? Seriously? Or do you slide Legursky to RG and have Foster backup both guard positions while Legursky is also backup Center?

Besides, your assessment of Essex is very limited, as is anybody else's on this forum. I would rather listen to the insight of the guy who plays right next to him:

from
http://tribune-democrat.com/ericknopsnyder/x1209409665/Eric-Knopsnyder-Pouncey-makes-big-first-impression-with-Steelers

We have 10 LBs on the roster and 10 DBs. If anybody gets cut to make room, look for those areas to be targeted.

What you have to ask yourself is will any of those "spare" lb's or db's clear waivers if you release them, are they players that have value on special teams or you think have a future in the league?

To me Hils is the guy to go because A, he'd most likely clear waivers, and B, so what if he didn't? He doesn't play special teams, and he's been activated for a total of one game and we're well into his 3rd NFL season.

Why cut someone who has value for Hills?

madrax
09-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Why cut someone who has value for Hills?

Because sometimes need trumps value. And we are very thin at OL. My reply was more in response to the idea of cutting Essex (absurd), not so much Hills. However, I still stand by the belief that if (IF) anybody gets cut, it won't be from the OL.

whatdoiknow
09-27-2010, 12:46 PM

from

I don't know. Maybe you all are right. It just seems everytime I see Essex play, most of the time he stinks. But then again I also think that Kemo sucks as well. Too many stupid penalties on him. But at least he can run block. And Kemo has a nasty demeanor. So I can tolerate him.

steelerdave1969
09-27-2010, 06:09 PM
The news was not all good Sunday for the Steelers despite the 38-13 beating they gave the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Raymond James Stadium. Veteran nose tackle Chris Hoke sprained his knee toward the end of the game, coach Mike Tomlin said. Hoke, who started last week against the Tennessee Titans and played extensively yesterday in place of Casey Hampton, is likely out for Sunday's game against the visiting Baltimore Ravens. If Hoke doesn't play, the Steelers may have to sign defensive tackle Steve McLendon from their practice squad to add depth.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_701461.html

I think Hoke's injury will force the Steelers hand on Dixon, I expect he'll either be put on IR or released by Friday. I suppose there's an outside chance he could get traded, but for who, for what? I really don't think there's any market for him. that's not to say DD wont get another chance in the NFL, but no one is going to give any value for him.

I dont see any way that the Steelers release Dennis Dixon man. He is a pretty darn good player and I think your on some good stuff to think the Steelers will let him go. Would you like to see Stone Man Leftwich back there again next year and Batch is very long in the tooth. I dont think there is a better long term backup on the Steelers roster as of right now especially into the future. No Way Dixon Gets Cut

theplatypus
09-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by whatdoiknow View Post
Hell I am 178 Lbs and easily bench 485 lbs

You have lost any and all credibility.

This