PDA

View Full Version : Trent Edwards released!!

whatdoiknow
09-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Per KFFL,

Bills | Trent Edwards released
Mon, 27 Sep 2010 09:25:03 -0700

The Buffalo Bills have released QB Trent Edwards, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

0 Comments | Share:

So fans, any Interest here with him ? Say cut Dixon, and sign Edwards just in case Charlie goes down ?

ajs8207
09-27-2010, 12:55 PM
No. Leftwich is healthy, and Ben will be back after this week. You also can't release injured players without an injury settlement. No way the Steelers release Dixon.

LVSteelersfan
09-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Another of the typical posts that any player that gets cut, the Steelers should look at. We have 4 QBs already. We certainly don't need one who could not cut the mustard in Buffalo. He is a joke. But I wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland gives him a shot. They are good at picking up terrible QBs.

Tone's Toes
09-27-2010, 01:20 PM
I would have taken a shot on him a month ago when Ben had 4 games left to serve, Lefty was injured, Dixon was unproven and Batch hadn't played in a while. No need for Edwards now with Ben coming back next Monday.

Atlanta Dan
09-27-2010, 01:22 PM
49ers fired Jimmy Raye as o-coordinator

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5621612

Think we should sign Raye and cut Arians?

Of course we would have to pay Arians an injury settlement for that shoulder he has dislocated by patting himself on the back so often

Tone's Toes
09-27-2010, 01:25 PM
They should fire all the people that were on board with the brilliant idea of drafting Alex Smith over Arron Rodgers.

whatdoiknow
09-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Another of the typical posts that any player that gets cut, the Steelers should look at. We have 4 QBs already. We certainly don't need one who could not cut the mustard in Buffalo. He is a joke. But I wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland gives him a shot. They are good at picking up terrible QBs.

Okay first it was just a suggestion. No need to assume I am this type of poster or that type. Second, I know Ben will return in two weeks. But I also know that Dixon is out, Leftwich, Brave as he might be is also hurt, and if he gets hit, and considering he is the slowest QB that has ever played the game with the slowest release, he WILL get hit. And Batch, I have seen him tear his knee while sleeping :doh:

And as for your take on how Edwards couldn't cut it with Buffalo, so why would we want him. Gee, I seem to remember the same thing being said about James Farrior when we took him off the scrap Heat from the Jets. I also seem to remember a WR who was cut..( While Injured I might add )...and the steelers brought him in and let him start on Special Teams until he learned our offense...that SCRAP WR was
Yancy Thigpen. All he ever did was have the greatest single season as a WR EVER in Steelers History.

Edwards to me had a couple of decent first few seasons in Buffalo, considering their total lack of talent. Anyways, it was just a thought.

lionslicer
09-27-2010, 01:32 PM
For what? one game? Steelers already have a problem with not enough space in the roster.
Maybe if he isn't picked up this off season, he can replace leftwich

whatdoiknow
09-27-2010, 01:36 PM
For what? one game? Steelers already have a problem with not enough space in the roster.
Maybe if he isn't picked up this off season, he can replace leftwich

Your take is a good one. And I accept that. But since Dixon is out for another Month, and since he will be a free agent anyways, I was just thinking of signing him and then when Ben comes back, we could release Batch and still have 3 QB's on the roster like we do now. Trust me, No current NFL team is gonna sign Batch.

lionslicer
09-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Your take is a good one. And I accept that. But since Dixon is out for another Month, and since he will be a free agent anyways, I was just thinking of signing him and then when Ben comes back, we could release Batch and still have 3 QB's on the roster like we do now. Trust me, No current NFL team is gonna sign Batch.

You might see Batch as an old washed up quarterback, but he's a fan favorite due to what he has done for the city and charities, every player loves him, to release him would kill team moral. Even if it wouldn't no one is willing to take that risk.

whatdoiknow
09-27-2010, 01:47 PM
You might see Batch as an old washed up quarterback, but he's a fan favorite due to what he has done for the city and charities, every player loves him, to release him would kill team moral. Even if it wouldn't no one is willing to take that risk.

I Like Batch. But your arguement is ridiculous. Teams don't hold valuable roster spots just because a player is well liked, or does Charity work. The Steelers have released players who have done alot more Charity work then Batch, and who were well liked by teammtes.

StainlessStill
09-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Screw Edwards.

I hear Terry Bradshaw is coming out of retirement and wants his old job back so Ben doesn't get crack at it. The heated rivalry between Bradshaw VS Roethlisberger will be closely looked at in the next couple of weeks.

lionslicer
09-27-2010, 01:50 PM
I Like Batch. But your arguement is ridiculous. Teams don't hold valuable roster spots just because a player is well liked, or does Charity work. The Steelers have released players who have done alot more Charity work then Batch, and who were well liked by teammtes.

Yes they do lol. Mike Alstott was injured 3 years in a row, he should have been released, he was useless to the team, even when he was healthy, he wasn't in the game and another fullback took most of the snaps. They kept him around because he pretty much was the face of the team at the time and so he could retire a Buc.
Teams do this a lot, unless a coach comes who wants to re-do the whole team trades them.

whatdoiknow
09-27-2010, 01:56 PM
The Steelers cut maybe one the most charitable players ever in Dwayne Washington. He came here to Pittsburgh from Minnesota, and played in every single game in his 6 years here. Never missing a game. And was a very good DB. I remember hearing countless stories about how Washington did so much work in the Steelers community, and at Childrens Hospitals as well. And the Steelers just totally punked him to keep...Ricardo Colclough ?? Yeah great call there the Rooney's and Cowher made huh ?

lionslicer
09-27-2010, 02:03 PM
The Steelers cut maybe one the most charitable players ever in Dwayne Washington. He came here to Pittsburgh from Minnesota, and played in every single game in his 6 years here. Never missing a game. And was a very good DB. I remember hearing countless stories about how Washington did so much work in the Steelers community, and at Childrens Hospitals as well. And the Steelers just totally punked him to keep...Ricardo Colclough ?? Yeah great call there the Rooney's and Cowher made huh ?

Okay you got me, I'm full of shit and other teams who've kept players for fan favorite reasons are full of shit.... A couple knicks in history totally ruin my arguement.
I'm a loser and I don't deserve to watch Steeler football and I should go die? Huh?

stb_steeler
09-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Screw Edwards.

I hear Terry Bradshaw is coming out of retirement and wants his old job back so Ben doesn't get crack at it. The heated rivalry between Bradshaw VS Roethlisberger will be closely looked at in the next couple of weeks.

screw TB, this guys the onhttp://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz240/stbsteeler/003.jpgly one we need :rofl:

whatdoiknow
09-27-2010, 02:18 PM
I don't think you are wrong cause your opinions are your opinions. I just think that if we are gonna keep 3 QB's. Edwards might be better than Dixon. Who will likely not be back for 6 more weeks. Keep Batch I guess. Just come to a settlement with Dixon.

madrax
09-27-2010, 02:53 PM

So basically you're saying we should cut Batch, a player who has been in this system for 8 seasons and played as well as he did yesterday, in order to give a chance to a proven loser who doesn't know our playbook?

You're funny. At least you picked a fitting nick for the type of things you post on this board.

Right now I would rather have Batch on my team than either Leftwich OR Dixon. In that scenario, I wouldn't mind Edwards as a #3 learning the playbook for the rest of the season.

whatdoiknow
09-27-2010, 03:16 PM
So basically you're saying we should cut Batch, a player who has been in this system for 8 seasons and played as well as he did yesterday, in order to give a chance to a proven loser who doesn't know our playbook?

You're funny. At least you picked a fitting nick for the type of things you post on this board.

Right now I would rather have Batch on my team than either Leftwich OR Dixon. In that scenario, I wouldn't mind Edwards as a #3 learning the playbook for the rest of the season.

Please! Our system hasn't been the system for 8 years. We have had 3 OC since Batch came here. And I am NOT saying release Batch neccessarily. Cut Dixon. No other team is gonna touch him while he is hurt. Then in the 5 weeks or so, we can see if Edwards is better here, with our talent. If not, cut Edwards when Dixon is healthy and sign him back. But make no mistake, Batch IS a brittle QB. And one series with Baltimore and he might be in traction. I hope not, but it could happen. Then ALL we would have is the slow-footed Leftwich who also is a target for getting creamed. If the steelers are so set on their status Quo. Then why then have they brought in 2 different QB's for a workout in the past 2 weeks ? And this happened BEFORE Dixon was ever hurt ? So very obviously the Steelers Brass is not as convinced as you are about our depth. Or Batch's ability to stay Healthy.

DoubleYoi
09-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Cutting Charlie Batch (or Dixon for that matter) in favor of Edwards makes absolutely no sense. He was just cut by the Bills for crying out loud! Charlie is proving to be a very capable backup and I'm shocked he wasn't given more of a chance to show his worth in the preseason. He knows the playbook inside and out, is a helpful tutor to Ben on the sideline and has never really failed us when being thrown into the starting lineup. Edwards, on the other hand, has more INTs than TDs in his career and was just cut by the Buffalo Bills in favor or Ryan Fitzpatrick. I feel we should cut Lefty and roll with Ben, Batch and Dixon as the three QBs.

DoubleYoi
09-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Please! Our system hasn't been the system for 8 years. We have had 3 OC since Batch came here. And I am NOT saying release Batch neccessarily. Cut Dixon. No other team is gonna touch him while he is hurt. Then in the 5 weeks or so, we can see if Edwards is better here, with our talent. If not, cut Edwards when Dixon is healthy and sign him back. But make no mistake, Batch IS a brittle QB. And one series with Baltimore and he might be in traction. I hope not, but it could happen. Then ALL we would have is the slow-footed Leftwich who also is a target for getting creamed. If the steelers are so set on their status Quo. Then why then have they brought in 2 different QB's for a workout in the past 2 weeks ? And this happened BEFORE Dixon was ever hurt ? So very obviously the Steelers Brass is not as convinced as you are about our depth. Or Batch's ability to stay Healthy.

I'm starting to think you ARE Trent Edwards. That's the only possible explanation for your love of a bad QB who was just cut by a very bad football team. Everybody on our roster at the QB position has a better knowledge of our system than Edwards does. This is all a moot point in one week anyway.

whatdoiknow
09-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Cutting Charlie Batch (or Dixon for that matter) in favor of Edwards makes absolutely no sense. He was just cut by the Bills for crying out loud! Charlie is proving to be a very capable backup and I'm shocked he wasn't given more of a chance to show his worth in the preseason. He knows the playbook inside and out, is a helpful tutor to Ben on the sideline and has never really failed us when being thrown into the starting lineup. Edwards, on the other hand, has more INTs than TDs in his career and was just cut by the Buffalo Bills in favor or Ryan Fitzpatrick. I feel we should cut Lefty and roll with Ben, Batch and Dixon as the three QBs.

Okay so let me get this straight. Your arguement for NOT wanting Edwards is that in his first 4 years he has more Interceptions ( 27 )...to TD's ( 25 )...Right ?
So in other words what poster " DoubleYoi is saying EXACTLY is that after the 1973 NFL Season HE would have cut the totally WORTHLESS Terry Bradshaw...right DoubleYoi ? I mean that IS Exactly what you just said...wasn't it ? Cause after Bradshaw's first 4 NFL seasons, Terry had 41 TD passes...and 73...cont em...73 Interceptions!

Yeah GREAT Arguement there DoubleYoi :doh::doh::doh:

fer522
09-27-2010, 03:57 PM
let's just sign everybody that gets cut this week what do you say?

ricardisimo
09-27-2010, 04:02 PM
You want to pick up a QB who couldn't cut it on the Bills?

whatdoiknow
09-27-2010, 04:16 PM

You know, there once was a QB drafted by a team....Oh yeah the Steelers, who they said could not " CUT IT " with the Steelers, and they released him. And this other team...Baltimore decided to take a flier on him. You know who that Piece of sh!t QB was ?.....Oh yeah...Johnny Unitas! So tell me, how did that turn out for the Steelers ? :banging:

SteelCityMom
09-27-2010, 04:34 PM
You know, there once was a QB drafted by a team....Oh yeah the Steelers, who they said could not " CUT IT " with the Steelers, and they released him. And this other team...Baltimore decided to take a flier on him. You know who that Piece of sh!t QB was ?.....Oh yeah...Johnny Unitas! So tell me, how did that turn out for the Steelers ? :banging:

That is a horrible example. Unitas was straight out of college and had never played with an NFL team when he was cut by the Steelers...Trent Edwards has proven his unworth for a while now.

There is NO reason to pick up Edwards, at all. We don't need him, QB is not one of the positions we are hurting at right now. We could release any one of the 3 backups we have right now and still be completely comfortable at the position. There's no reason to replace one of the three backups we have right now, who are all quite familiar with the system and playbook, for one who has never been in the Steelers system and knows none of the plays. Just doesn't make any sense at all.

ricardisimo
09-27-2010, 04:44 PM
You've got to be kidding me. Do you have any reason at all to believe that a cast-off from arguably the worst team in the league is the next Johnny U? Edwards is a good looking guy, and probably sells a few extra tickets because of it. Otherwise I don't think he would have made it as long as he has, quite honestly.

Curtain_of_Steel
09-27-2010, 04:57 PM
is this news?

Can we trade dixon to the bills? At least when he is freezing up there the green look on his face may not come through the frost bite to much.

SteelKnight
09-27-2010, 05:35 PM
49ers fired Jimmy Raye as o-coordinator

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5621612

Think we should sign Raye and cut Arians?

Of course we would have to pay Arians an injury settlement for that shoulder he has dislocated by patting himself on the back so often

OMG. This will just set Smith back further working with ANOTHER offensive coordinator.

This is not the right time for Edwards but rather we should use this opportunity to convince them to trade for Dixon.

I don't tink Edwards is great but he might be a stable upgrade over the 3 back ups we have. If it were the end of the season, I would say bring him in to compete.

ricardisimo
09-27-2010, 05:58 PM
What are you people smoking? Pass it along, whatever it is.

cloppbeast
09-27-2010, 06:05 PM
I hadn't seen whatdoiknow posting lately. I thought he got banned. Glad to see him back. He's got a good sense of humor.

MasterOfPuppets
09-27-2010, 06:08 PM
we picked up a lineman that couldn't cut it in buffalo....:noidea:

DoubleYoi
09-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Okay so let me get this straight. Your arguement for NOT wanting Edwards is that in his first 4 years he has more Interceptions ( 27 )...to TD's ( 25 )...Right ?
So in other words what poster " DoubleYoi is saying EXACTLY is that after the 1973 NFL Season HE would have cut the totally WORTHLESS Terry Bradshaw...right DoubleYoi ? I mean that IS Exactly what you just said...wasn't it ? Cause after Bradshaw's first 4 NFL seasons, Terry had 41 TD passes...and 73...cont em...73 Interceptions!

Yeah GREAT Arguement there DoubleYoi :doh::doh::doh:

Way to go!!! You've compared Trent "I got cut by the freakin' Bills" Edwards to Terry Bradshaw and Johnny Unitas in the same thread. That takes some serious cahones!! And no, I'm not saying I'd cut anybody based solely on their INT/TD ratio but I sure as hell wouldn't sign him as a Free Agent when there are already too many QBs on the roster as it is. The move would make absolutely no sense. I'm sure he'll land on some team's roster but it shouldn't be the Steelers. Just because there is another QB on the open market doesn't mean the Steelers should pursue him. The franchise QB comes back in a week, the fill-in QB just had a very good game yesterday and the younger, more athletic QB (possibly the backup of the future) is expected to be out for about 6 weeks. But hey, let's sign him anyway. Why? Because we can!!

SteelKnight
09-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Way to go!!! You've compared Trent "I got cut by the freakin' Bills" Edwards to Terry Bradshaw and Johnny Unitas in the same thread. That takes some serious cahones!! And no, I'm not saying I'd cut anybody based solely on their INT/TD ratio but I sure as hell wouldn't sign him as a Free Agent when there are already too many QBs on the roster as it is. The move would make absolutely no sense. I'm sure he'll land on some team's roster but it shouldn't be the Steelers. Just because there is another QB on the open market doesn't mean the Steelers should pursue him. The franchise QB comes back in a week, the fill-in QB just had a very good game yesterday and the younger, more athletic QB (possibly the backup of the future) is expected to be out for about 6 weeks. But hey, let's sign him anyway. Why? Because we can!!

I think Edwards would be an OK back up for us. I agree we don't need him now but if he were available in the off season, I wouldn't mind him coming in to compete with Leftwich and Batch for the number 2 position. He's a little more mobile than Lefty and a change of atmosphere...coming to a winning team with good support might help him.

sharkweek
09-27-2010, 07:42 PM

huge HUGE difference

Buffalo, like Cleveland, Is a veritable QB grave yard. QBs go there to die, and the ones that get out come out for the worse - as shockingly impossible as that may seem.

I know its popular to believe any QB could work for us right now, but no, no way would I want a BILLS reject.

Curtain_of_Steel
09-27-2010, 08:23 PM
How does trent edwards get 4 pages of comments? Even the Bills board never gave him that many posts.

MasterOfPuppets
09-27-2010, 08:40 PM
huge HUGE difference

Buffalo, like Cleveland, Is a veritable QB grave yard. QBs go there to die, and the ones that get out come out for the worse - as shockingly impossible as that may seem.

I know its popular to believe any QB could work for us right now, but no, no way would I want a BILLS reject.
of course it a huge difference. a qb doesn't effect an olineman's play the way an oline effects a qb's play. do you think there's a qb in the NFL that would be successful with the pile of suck they've accumulated there ? a change of scenery with a better line, better receivers, and good coaching might just be what he needs.
i'm not advocating pursuing him by any means , but if this was the offseason and we needed a 3rd qb , i wouldn't mind if they gave him a looksy. :noidea:

ricardisimo
09-27-2010, 08:56 PM
a) We signed a pet of our new O-Line coach; b) I think we may have learned a valuable lesson. It's not like he's solved our line problems.

DoubleYoi
09-28-2010, 11:02 AM
I think Edwards would be an OK back up for us. I agree we don't need him now but if he were available in the off season, I wouldn't mind him coming in to compete with Leftwich and Batch for the number 2 position. He's a little more mobile than Lefty and a change of atmosphere...coming to a winning team with good support might help him.

You said the key word: "back-up." It's not like the guy is going to start even if we did sign him. Unless we're in dire need of a 3rd-string QB, which we're not, the dude shouldn't step foot in Pittsburgh. Big Ben is out for one more game, Batch played well, Leftwich is coming off injury and Dixon is only out 6 weeks. We're set at the QB position, IMO.

BengalDestroyer
09-28-2010, 07:09 PM
NO WAY, Edwards is garbage, I said start Fitzpatrick since week one, he's obviously the better QB

SteelersinCA
09-28-2010, 08:08 PM
I can't believe this thread even appeared on our board. We have threads talking about cutting either Batch or Leftwich, 2 guys who know our system and then a thread about brining in a hack that couldn't make it in Buffalo's system, unreal.

whatdoiknow
09-28-2010, 08:13 PM
I can't believe this thread even appeared on our board. We have threads talking about cutting either Batch or Leftwich, 2 guys who know our system and then a thread about brining in a hack that couldn't make it in Buffalo's system, unreal.

I just asked, I never suggested per se. Bottom line is it's a Mute point. Edwards was claimed by Jacksonville....next subject now please :hatsoff:

SteelersinCA
09-28-2010, 08:15 PM
I just asked, I never suggested per se. Bottom line is it's a Mute point. Edwards was claimed by Jacksonville....next subject now please :hatsoff:

What's a mute point?

http://languagerules.wordpress.com/2006/09/25/moot-point-not-mute-point/

Again, the internet is your friend, embrace it, love it, learn it, use it.:drink:

MasterOfPuppets
09-28-2010, 08:19 PM
What's a mute point?

http://languagerules.wordpress.com/2006/09/25/moot-point-not-mute-point/

Again, the internet is your friend, embrace it, love it, learn it, use it.:drink:
http://www.uxmatters.com/mt/archives/2010/03/images/remote_mute_button_fig.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tWcMxuwF6hg/SbXKypfW4aI/AAAAAAAAAYY/h3NSy5_NVHo/s400/mute.gif

BlackNGold88
09-29-2010, 04:22 AM
Why on earth would we release Dixon for him? The dude couldn't even make the Bills roster as a backup.
Thankfully your not the Gm and the Jags got him anyways.