PDA

View Full Version : 18 game season = "done deal"

Fate
09-27-2010, 08:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5623441&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Wow :mad:

SH-Rock
09-27-2010, 08:58 PM
I thought I was the only mad one. Sure it looks good on paper, but it's not smart at all.

lionslicer
09-27-2010, 09:08 PM
I heard they are going to make each team have an early season bye week and then a late season bye week to help the players rest.
The first season with 18 games will be interesting. If it doesn't go well, it will go back to 16 games the next season

Atlanta Dan
09-27-2010, 09:30 PM
"I think that the owners, and principally the commissioner, have decided that it's the way to go, and so the debate, such as it was, is over," Polian said.

So much for the players having any say in the matter

Only with hindsight can it be determined why something fell from its peak

With an 18 game schedule that will injure players at an ever faster rate in order to squeeze out more revenue and an expensive stadium experience that is resulting in more and more fans deciding to stay home (Tampa expects to be blacked out every game this season even with the Steelers and the Super Bowl champ Saints coming to town) the NFL might find out it is possible to kill the golden goose

lionslicer
09-27-2010, 09:34 PM
"I think that the owners, and principally the commissioner, have decided that it's the way to go, and so the debate, such as it was, is over," Polian said.

So much for the players having any say in the matter

Only with hindsight can it be determined why something fell from its peak

With an 18 game schedule that will injure players at an ever faster rate in order to squeeze out more revenue and an expensive stadium experience that is resulting in more and more fans deciding to stay home (Tampa expects to be blacked out every game this season even with the Steelers and the Super Bowl champ Saints coming to town) the NFL might find out it is possible to kill the golden goose

A few years ago, players wanted to reduce the preseason to 2 games. I bet the owners say "the owners and fans want 18 regular season games, the playerso nly want 2 preseason games, its a win win" Which isn't true, but I know they'll say that when someone asks why didn't the players have a say in anything.

MasterOfPuppets
09-27-2010, 09:45 PM
this is the first step to exporting more games to other countries.

i'm assuming they'll be looking to gouge the season ticket holders with this move.
ticket sales have dropped the last two years. is it really a smart business move to increase supply as demand drops ? more and more blackouts are on the horizon.

steelrush
09-28-2010, 06:18 AM
Sure it looks good on paper, but it's not smart at all.

And why exactly it looks good on paper? Is 18 a more handsome number then 16 or what? :chuckle:

this is the first step to exporting more games to other countries

:iagree:

Personally I find 18 regular games unnecessary and such a system (with fewer pre-seasonal games) stupid at best.
But if they’ll adopt it, I really hope problems will make them revert to the a 16-game system.

ZoneBlitzer
09-28-2010, 11:29 AM
This is ridiculous. The rosters are already too small given the injuries. If they go to 18 games, then teams need an 65 man roster at least. Players are going down like flies these days.

lionslicer
09-28-2010, 12:06 PM
This is ridiculous. The rosters are already too small given the injuries. If they go to 18 games, then teams need an 65 man roster at least. Players are going down like flies these days.

Last time I watched NFL network, they said they were extending the roster size to around the mid 60's.

Atlanta Dan
09-29-2010, 08:08 AM
Nice analysis of the downside to expanding the regular season to 18 games

Obviously, at some point, football – like anything – reaches a peak. By expanding the regular season, the league is betting that 16 games is not that peak. But in this bet, the consequences of being wrong far outweigh the benefits of being right. With sports, it’s better not to give fans enough than to give them too much...

Then there are the health concerns. More games means more injuries – including injuries to star players. Even without losing stars, injuries still have a major impact on quality of play...

The N.F.L. is not broken. In fact, it’s never been better. You’ve heard the cliché “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Well, how about, If it ain’t broke, don’t break it?:thumbsup:

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/the-n-f-l-s-misguided-battle-of-18-versus-16/?ref=sports

Mags87
09-29-2010, 02:50 PM
does anyone else get extremely pissed off at the owner of the Colt's passion about expanding the season? i mean, the Colts rested their starters for the last 3 games of the season last year with no apologies to the fans. now they want to extend the season? he's more interested in selling tickets than he is in football. Greed > football/player safety/fans interest. :mad::mad::mad:

steelerohio
09-30-2010, 12:07 AM
I agree, it's all about the greed and the moolah...

Shea
09-30-2010, 12:16 AM
I understand the faults of this proposal and the ramifications to the players.

But selfishly as a fan I love it, the more football the better as far as I'm concerned.

MattsMe
09-30-2010, 01:16 AM
There goes the record books.

Mots
09-30-2010, 11:42 AM
I understand the faults of this proposal and the ramifications to the players.

But selfishly as a fan I love it, the more football the better as far as I'm concerned.

this.

Yeah, it's risky, and there's already a lot of injuries, etc. etc.

However, in the end it means at least 3 more weeks (2 games and 1 bye week) of serious football, and perhaps even a longer post season -> great!

I'm sure/I hope they will find a way to make it work and pretty soon nobody will miss the old format anymore.

SteelCityMom
09-30-2010, 11:47 AM
If they are really going to add in another bye week for all teams then I guess I don't see as much of a problem with this as I did before. The only thing I really don't like is the 2 game preseason. Not that preseason is particularly exciting for me, but I know it's crucial to the coaching staff. I just wish they had added on the extra 2 games while keeping the 4 game preseason. I don't see why that would be so difficult.

Atlanta Dan
09-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Looks like Polian belatedly got the memo that he is supposed to pretend this is not a done deal

Colts president Bill Polian says he was "very imprecise" when he described an 18-game schedule as a done deal.

Two days after saying a longer schedule is a "fait accompli" on his local radio show, Polian returned to the airways Wednesday and told ESPN's "Mike and Mike In The Morning" program what he meant was that the Colts are preparing as if the 18-game season is going to happen....

"I created a headline that was 180 degrees from what was right," Polian said. "Bad job by me in answering the question."

NFLPA president Kevin Mawae took offense to Polian's original comments.

"My knee-jerk reaction is that I didn't know [Polian] had the authority to make announcements on his own,'' Mawae told The Boston Globe in a telephone interview. "But the way I understand it -- and I had meetings all day -- he said he wasn't in favor of it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5629713

This is all about greed - the season is long enough already and the quality of play will suffer as injuries mount up with a longer schedule

Rising ticket prices for games with declining quality - that might work but then again maybe not

lionslicer
09-30-2010, 12:46 PM
If they are really going to add in another bye week for all teams then I guess I don't see as much of a problem with this as I did before. The only thing I really don't like is the 2 game preseason. Not that preseason is particularly exciting for me, but I know it's crucial to the coaching staff. I just wish they had added on the extra 2 games while keeping the 4 game preseason. I don't see why that would be so difficult.

They didn't want to extend the Season itself by that much. It's only extended by 1 week this way. I believe it has to do with the players union and all that other stuff.
Preseason is crucial, but players themselves have been fighting to get it shorter for years, but coaches have actually be fighting to make it longer or let more players on team rosters, the NFL wanted more regular season games, so the owners see it as a compromise.

Less preseason for players
More roster room and training camp for coaches
More regular season games for the owners
And an extra bye week for all teams which benefits both players and coaches.

whatdoiknow
09-30-2010, 12:54 PM
This is gonna bring an additional 300-500 million dollars to the league alone. So the players will get paid a percentage more. It will reduce two meaningless and Unnecessary Pre-season games. And more Importantly to us fans, I hear it will allow teams to carry a roster from 53 to 60 players, and a active roster from 45 to 53 players. So as a fan, I like that.

steelerdave1969
09-30-2010, 05:28 PM
I just dont like the idea of 18 games myself. They will have to up the Roster Size and how are the rookie's and free agent signees gonna prove themselves when they have No Game Action to do so?

Atlanta Dan
09-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Steelers slam the proposed 16 game season in this ESPN article although Troy has a "modest" proposal

"I'll probably be the last double-digit guy," said [Hines] Ward, the Steelers' career receptions leader who is in his 13th season. "The 10-year guys you won't see any more, except for your quarterbacks. The running backs, you're really going to see a short lifetime span. The season's just too long [already]."...

Steelers safety Ryan Clark can't believe that, at the same time in NFL is making a stronger push to protect players from concussions and other head injuries, it appears intent on expanding its season, thus increasing the risk of such injuries.

"Sometimes you need to have foresight," Clark said. "In one sense, we're saying we want to protect players from head injuries, but then you want us to go out there and do it two more times in the regular season."...

Steelers player representative Charlie Batch is adamantly opposed to such an expansion because of the increased chance for injury, but concedes it might happen if the owners offer players considerably more compensation during current labor talks. Steelers safety Troy Polamalu's suggestion: Guarantee all contracts, as baseball owners do.

"Obviously, our contract situation now and how we're not guaranteed is probably the worst in professional sports," said Polamalu, one of the league's top defensive players. "So it wouldn't be a problem if they started guaranteeing contracts.";;;

"If the owners aren't worried about players' health or anything like that, then of course they would guarantee our contracts," said Polamalu, who missed 11 full games and parts of two others with injuries last season. "Adding more games, there's more risk, so I doubt they would do anything like that."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5634427

The Browns will win the Super Bowl in an undefeated season before the owners guarantee NFL contracts