PDA

View Full Version : My Rant

boLT fan
03-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Ok, since the people at most Chargers boards seem to think that Aj Smith is a genious and all, I can't really get an honest opinion, so maybe I can get it from Steeler fans. Here's what I posted at a Chargers board:

Is it just me, or is Aj always looking WAY to far into the future. With the way he handles things, it doesn't really look like the Chargers will ever be fully re-built SB caliber team before Tomlinson retires. Last year we were SO close. So what does Aj do? Refuses to sign one of the biggest peices of the puzzle, Brees. And I really doubt he'll sign a veteren like we need, instead opting to get a ****ing young player that doesn't know what the hell he's doing. Whenver he does get a young player, right when they are FINALLY developed he RELEASES THEM. I know some people call him a genious when it comes to being an owner, but i'm sick of it. GOD DAMNIT AJ

I think we need Marty to stand in his face for a half hour yelling "ONE SEASON AT A TIME, ONE SEASON AT A TIME, ONE SEASON AT A TIME, ONE SEASON AT A TIME..."

Please, tell me i'm not crazy.

HburgXL06
03-08-2006, 04:14 PM
You don't sound crazy to me but then again I don't know the history of the Chargers. I do know that this past season they came out on fire but then kinda fizzled out towards the end of the season and I wondered what happened. So......what did happen? I heard on this board that Miami is looking into Brees. Where is he from and how well does he play?

BuFu

boLT fan
03-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Actually, we started out slow, caught fire. Got extinguised.

And as far as Brees: He doesn't have a cannon by any means, but his accuracy and great leadership make it a much better QB than one that just bombs it ever play. I'd rather have him than someone with a long throw and no accuary. I can see why Aj wouldn't want to resign him...

tony hipchest
03-08-2006, 04:22 PM
i dont think youre crazy. hes had 1 12 and 4 season thats it. i thought he made a great deal to land lt and d. brees by giving up m. vick. even if vick does finally live up to the accolades i still think its a better deal for the chargers. all that he did that was great with that deal was undone by drafting rivers.

last season (im taking a guess here) they had about 17 million tied up in 2 qb's and he wanted to be a cheapskate with a. gates. i could understand if their backs were against the cap but that wasnt the case. letting gates be suspended against dallas cost them revenues of an extra playoff game. iven more if they wouldve had a game at home.

personally i dont think ive ever heard a.j. referred to as a genius. infact i dont really recall dan rooney being called a genius on theis board (although he certainly is)

boLT fan
03-08-2006, 04:24 PM
I'm pretty sure it was 15 mill, but i'm not sure. And I love Aj's solution to it: Drop the proven veteren, go with the unproven potential flop and get nothing out of it. Awesome.

Oh, he's called a genious on SD Boards. It's like Tom Brady on NE boards, it's rediculous.

tony hipchest
03-08-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm pretty sure it was 15 mill, but i'm not sure. And I love Aj's solution to it: Drop the proven veteren, go with the unproven potential flop and get nothing out of it. Awesome.

Oh, he's called a genious on SD Boards. It's like Tom Brady on NE boards, it's rediculous. it took 3 years for brees to come around. what if it takes rivers that long? will they get rid of him after 2? if not they have and will be paying a #1 pick millions to sit around/ struggle with on the job training for 5 years.

hopefully he works out for you all. as a 3rd year player i dont think he deserves too much of a learning curve if the same wasnt extended to brees.

3 to be 4
03-08-2006, 05:00 PM

Oh, he's called a genious on SD Boards. It's like Tom Brady on NE boards, it's rediculous.

except that Brady has actually won Super Bowls. the Chargers havent won crap. letting Brees go would be absolutly retarded

tony hipchest
03-08-2006, 05:11 PM
except that Brady has actually won Super Bowls. the Chargers havent won crap. letting Brees go would be absolutly retarded

mike tyson has won heavyweight boxing titles. i guess hes a genius too :bouncy:

but yeah, really retarded. sucky thing is im not sure the chargers could even get a top 15 pick in a trade for rivers. they would have to swallow some pride to get rid of him. maybe a.j. is more concerned with this "genius" rep he has "earned" from the fans.

boLT fan
03-08-2006, 06:44 PM
except that Brady has actually won Super Bowls.

Thank you. That is exactly my point.

boLT fan
03-08-2006, 06:46 PM
except that Brady has actually won Super Bowls. the Chargers havent won crap

Thank you. That is exactly my point.

Livinginthe past
03-09-2006, 01:05 AM
Im not to sure why everyone is so down on Rivers - its not like he has got major injury worries or has been thrown out of camp.

He hasn't lost any of the potential he had when the Chargers drafted him and he should have learnt something from his time on the sidelines - alot of successful QB's spend some time holding the clipboard do they not?

He made a bad, uninfomed decision as a rookie (which alot of rookies do when they get bad advice) - surely this isn't any real grounds to label him as a bust?

With the array of weaponry he has it his disposal and a competitive D, I think Rivers could very well lead the Chargers to the playoffs.

NM

tony hipchest
03-09-2006, 08:39 AM
Plus they got those extra picks from the Giants, one of which turned into Sean Merriman. You can't really say they squandered the #1 pick. your right. i wasnt even thinking about that. in 7 years eli for merriman could look like a great and even trade, nevermind the fact that the chargers got rivers out of the deal too. what bugs me is the amount of $$$ theyve had to pay rivers to sit but they had the $$$ to spare and that is the price you pay for drafting so high. not really the chargers fault.

Suitanim
03-09-2006, 09:29 AM
Hey Bolt Fan, look at the bright side. If you don't like AJ, he may very well be gone soon. There's no denying that Brees was never his boy, and Rivers always was. I think Rivers will be a bust, and if he is, AJ will have a giant bullseye right on his chest.

Ambridge
03-09-2006, 04:34 PM
I heard last week that Brees had a slight tear in his rotator cuff(Chad Pennington's Injury) as well as the torn labrum which could explain another reason why the Chargers have gone sour on Brees.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Crazy?No way.

The problem is the GM.He didn't draft Brees,he drafted Rivers.Therefore,Rivers must start,even if it sets the team back 3 or so years.

Also,he didn't bring Marty in,so expect Marty gone after this season while he hires someone younger (perhaps Whizenhut).Simply because Marty was brought in by the GM before him.The only way this doesn't happen is if the Chargers win SB XLI.If they lose in the playoffs or even in the SB,then his excuse will be "Marty just can't get it done".

Livinginthe past
03-09-2006, 07:58 PM
Crazy?No way.

The problem is the GM.He didn't draft Brees,he drafted Rivers.Therefore,Rivers must start,even if it sets the team back 3 or so years.

Also,he didn't bring Marty in,so expect Marty gone after this season while he hires someone younger (perhaps Whizenhut).Simply because Marty was brought in by the GM before him.The only way this doesn't happen is if the Chargers win SB XLI.If they lose in the playoffs or even in the SB,then his excuse will be "Marty just can't get it done".

Set the team 3 or more years back ...from what exactly?

They had a nice year last year - but they still didnt make the playoffs.

This isn't back-2-back SB Champions we are talking about here.

I think its very possible that Brees has a bad enough injury that there is a strong likelihood that he will never throw the ball aswell he did last year.

Everyone seems to be looking past the fact that he could be the next 'Noodle arm'.

NM

SalukiSteelers
03-10-2006, 11:36 AM
While it sucks that Brees got hurt in a meaningless game -- opening the door for his departure -- it seems pointless to keep a high draft pick, high-dollar QB on the bench. I'd be more angry with Marty for putting Brees in a situation to get hurt while Rivers sat on the bench. I really don't think that losing Brees will hurt the Bolts all that much. With a shoulder injury there's always the chance that Brees loses his ability to make tough throws -- just ask the J E T S, Jets, Jets, Jets. If I were a Chargers fan, I'd be angrier that the team is losing their starting QB and getting nothing in return. It's not like a non-playoff team doesn't have holes.

Suitanim
03-10-2006, 07:34 PM
If you are saying that a possibly noodle-armed Brees is = or < Rivers, then all these arguments make sense. However, it's very likely that a noodle-armed Brees is still > or = an unproven and overrated out of college Phillips.

I think Phillip Rivers is Ryan Leaf redux...

boLT fan
03-10-2006, 07:42 PM
I'd be more angry with Marty for putting Brees in a situation to get hurt while Rivers sat on the bench.

I still dont' get why people are upset about this. EVERY game in a situation to get hurt. And I rarely ever see a non-playoff rest their starters. I was glad Marty put Drew in, shows that he (and the rest of the team) were still dedicated to winning despite not having a shot at the playoffs. If we would have won and Brees hadn't been injured, no one would be yelling at Marty.