PDA

View Full Version : Steelers best off season move.

zulater
09-28-2010, 11:30 AM
It's either drafting Pouncey or hiring Al Everest as special teams coach imo, but maybe you can think of something else? :noidea:

LVSteelersfan
09-28-2010, 11:36 AM
I honestly think bringing back McFadden was the best move. That secondary is not getting burned as much as it was when they put Gay out there on an island. Gay is playing well in the nickel, but he sucked as the main man back there. Adams didn't get called for one false start and seems to be blocking well for the run. I didn't hear his name at all in the last game and that is a good thing for an O-lineman. I do think Pouncey's pick up was probably pretty close to the McFadden deal though.

zulater
09-28-2010, 11:41 AM
I honestly think bringing back McFadden was the best move. That secondary is not getting burned as much as it was when they put Gay out there on an island. Gay is playing well in the nickel, but he sucked as the main man back there. Adams didn't get called for one false start and seems to be blocking well for the run. I didn't hear his name at all in the last game and that is a good thing for an O-lineman. I do think Pouncey's pick up was probably pretty close to the McFadden deal though.

Good one. :thumbsup:

kiuaswarrior
09-28-2010, 12:32 PM

I think you nailed this.

StainlessStill
09-28-2010, 12:36 PM

^This. The Steelers should have never let B-Mac walk and their draft day trade for McFadden had me gleeing. McFadden is a HUGE upgrade on the corner and is a bigger, faster, and more physical corner than Gay will ever be. Gay plays well in the Nickel defense and looked good last week on a blitz, but B-Mac deserves some kudos and should be lumped in with the "Polamalu and Aaron Smith are back" statements. How about " Polamalu, Aaron Smith AND Bryant McFadden are back" statements.:helmet:

bigchuck
09-28-2010, 01:19 PM
i know it wasnt last off season but how about drafting sepulvada, what a great addition to the special teams he has been.

zulater
09-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Still I think the addition of Everest has been huge. Jeff Reed has gone from being worst in the league at kickoffs to 9th. Reed even said Everest is the first coach to ever advise him on kickoffs, changed his steps approaching the ball and the results are evident. all of last year Jeff Reed had 3 touchbacks on kickoffs, he's already equaled that this year.

Look at San Diego, they're having our season from last year this year already having lost two games largely due to special team meltdowns.

Speaking of which how huge was that opening kickoff reverse against the titans? Anyway Everest is a nice addition.

steeltheone
09-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Mac has been huge. But I wonder how much Troy has to do with it.
Pouncy is a close second.

lionslicer
09-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Coaching wise
Sean Kuglar as the new offensive line coach and Al Everest as special teams coach,

Player wise
Bringing back B-mac and drafting Pouncy

Curtain_of_Steel
09-28-2010, 01:58 PM
I do not know much about specials teams other than our fools of the past didnt quite grasp the fact that you kick the ball, run to the ball, tackle the guy hlding the ball.

did Everest use color coded pictures to get the point across?lol

Pouncey is huge
Mac is almost as huge, but not sure where we would be if Gay was playing full time, lol

You wonder how much troy has to do with it? Well last year we went into the crappy without him, i think that speaks volumes, lol

I'll stick with my Gator!

stb_steeler
09-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Kind of makes ya wonder why the Steelers left B-mac go in the first place or Arizona for that matter, anyhow im glad we have him back.....Pouncey was surely an upgrade.

lionslicer
09-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Kind of makes ya wonder why the Steelers left B-mac go in the first place or Arizona for that matter, anyhow im glad we have him back.....Pouncey was surely an upgrade.

Money

stb_steeler
09-28-2010, 02:08 PM
So if it was money, why didnt Arizona keep him?....Im sure the Steelers didnt give him more to come back.

SteelMember
09-28-2010, 02:14 PM
All good points... I'll throw out one more.

Keeping Timmons at ILB and making him the starter. He has played huge.

We may be paying Foote like a starter, but he is obviously there as a veteran backup. While he does have plenty of value on this team, especially in the locker room, Timmons is clearly "the man" on the field.

lionslicer
09-28-2010, 02:15 PM
So if it was money, why didnt Arizona keep him?....Im sure the Steelers didnt give him more to come back.

From what I heard, he didn't fare to well in Arizona and I guess they thought they paid him more than he was worth

SteelMember
09-28-2010, 02:15 PM

He had a terrible year with the cards. He fits our system much better. He found that out the hard way, but money talks... at the very least, it was whispering in his ear.

stb_steeler
09-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Yeah he didnt seem to do well in Arizona. He's a better fit with the Steelers (agree). :tt02:

Steelerfreak58
09-28-2010, 03:03 PM

This

BIGWILL
09-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Give it to the steelers org. for filling in the holes this off season, and getting the right people. Everywhere have we seen improvements. Id say drafting Pouncey could be the biggest steal of this past draft, he's a natural steeler.

rich4eagle
09-28-2010, 08:46 PM
It's either drafting Pouncey or hiring Al Everest as special teams coach imo, but maybe you can think of something else? :noidea:

having gonads and keeping Ben.................:tt04::tt02::tt03:

BlackNGold88
09-29-2010, 04:23 AM
Mac has been huge. But I wonder how much Troy has to do with it.
Pouncy is a close second.
A lot imo.

pete74
09-29-2010, 04:52 AM
i think drafting pouncy was the biggest. as you can see we are able to run better and the entire offensive line looks better with him in there. i really would of liked to draft Earl Thomas but Pouncy has been a great pick and im extremly happy we got him

finesward
09-29-2010, 01:07 PM
I'd say the entire draft. We got b-mack back, drafted not only keepers but CONTRIBUTING keepers...maybe only pouncey has done so every down, but in special teams we had a TD and a force fumble already not to mention a few tackles by the rooks. So happy we kept sylvester, that kid has a motor. We have youth being groomed, and a starting squad that has a nice blend of vets and 2nd and 3rd year guys peaking.

Honorable mention goes to limas being put on IR. Limas who? Exactly...

pancake
09-29-2010, 03:44 PM
This is a great thread!

It looks like at this point that the FO hit a homerun with almost all their offseason moves.

Pouncey looks like the next great center.

B-Mac looks to regained his form. I think we are paying him less these next 2 years than Arizona paid him last year.

Our draft looks solid.

The Hotel looks better every week.

Both new coaches with the OL and ST looks like they have improved their unit.

:drink:

MikeHaullace
09-29-2010, 06:19 PM
This is a great thread!

It looks like at this point that the FO hit a homerun with almost all their offseason moves.

Pouncey looks like the next great center.

B-Mac looks to regained his form. I think we are paying him less these next 2 years than Arizona paid him last year.

Our draft looks solid.

The Hotel looks better every week.

Both new coaches with the OL and ST looks like they have improved their unit.

This post makes me know I really don't have to read this thread.

Based on it, I will rate the above according to importance/impact, according to me.

1.) B-Mac looks to regained his form. I think we are paying him less these next 2 years than Arizona paid him last year.

The apparentness of his absence came when Troy was out last season. As much as Gay has showed his serviceableness in nickel packages, he is not, and should never again be, a starting NFL CB. One of the biggest difference between him and B-Mac : #20 doesn't let receivers get behind him. Gay did. Often. This contributed to most of the 4th Quarter bed-shittings last year. (Don't worry, Gay. I'm aware you got little safety support.)

2.) Both new coaches with the OL and ST looks like they have improved their unit.

Speaking of bed-shitting...

Our ST gave up *way* too many to-tha-houses last season. Personally, that hyphenated blasphemy should never be plural in a single season. So far this season, it's like watching flies swarmin' in on dung. Bzzzzzzzzzzt. Tackle. This is something that I hope will continue as a good ST unit, as we know, is very essential to a Super Bowl caliber team.

Up to last season, the O-Line was starting to look like David Carr's early-career Texan's O-Line, giving up hella-too-many sacks per season. Not sure 80% of the league's QBs could take the kind of pounding Ben has in recent years. So far, this year, I must say I've been impressed, all factors and variables considered. The coaching plays a large role into that.

3.) Pouncey looks like the next great center.

His beastiness in the middle plays a role in the O-Line's success. Not enough can be said about this guy. He's quick. He's haus. He's smart. I'm going to keep dropping it here and there. Dermontti 2.0

4.) Our draft looks solid.

Pouncey and Stevenson were great, A+ picks. I think Sanders has a lot of promise. Nothing else really stands out to me. Solid, nonetheless in terms of play thus far in the season.

5.) The Hotel looks better every week.

Because five examples are always better than four when it comes to a list. :flap: Not sure what the sentence means really (The Hotel?) but I do know that as the season has progressed, I've found myself getting more and more excited for each coming game.

Ben's coming return completes the package.

4-0? 3-1? It don't mattah. Ben is going to come back with a vengeance. He knows his young-man fun-time is over as long as he wants to play in the league. Now that all he has is football... Watch out, NFL.

F&$K YES, STEELERS FOOTBALL! :tt03:

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-29-2010, 06:29 PM
I honestly think bringing back McFadden was the best move. That secondary is not getting burned as much as it was when they put Gay out there on an island. Gay is playing well in the nickel, but he sucked as the main man back there.

Flashback to 2008-- Gay stood in for McFadden for about 6 weeks that season as the starting LCB when McFaddden was injured, and our pass defense did not miss a beat. Matter of factly, I recall back then, that folks were saying we should get rid of McFadden, since it was obvious that Gay could take over for him.

Is it at all possible that our secondary as a whole was suffering from a Superbowl hangover last year, and everyone did not perform up to snuff, and that it had less to do with Gay or McFadden?

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-29-2010, 06:30 PM
i think drafting pouncy was the biggest. as you can see we are able to run better and the entire offensive line looks better with him in there. i really would of liked to draft Earl Thomas but Pouncy has been a great pick and im extremly happy we got him

^^^^ This, along with the offseason acquisition of Sean Kugler.

pancake
09-29-2010, 06:40 PM
This post makes me know I really don't have to read this thread.

Because five examples are always better than four when it comes to a list. :flap: Not sure what the sentence means really (The Hotel?) but I do know that as the season has progressed, I've found myself getting more and more excited for each coming game.

Ben's coming return completes the package.

4-0? 3-1? It don't mattah. Ben is going to come back with a vengeance. He knows his young-man fun-time is over as long as he wants to play in the league. Now that all he has is football... Watch out, NFL.

F&$K YES, STEELERS FOOTBALL! :tt03:

I may be wrong, but I think Flozell's nickname is "the Hotel". Well if not, that is who I was refering to... :thumbsup:

Oh, and nice breakdown... :hatsoff:

MikeHaullace
09-29-2010, 07:10 PM
I may be wrong, but I think Flozell's nickname is "the Hotel". Well if not, that is who I was refering to... :thumbsup:

LOL I suck at this game. Thanks for that. Being as I live in the DFW, TX area, I probably knew that.

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-29-2010, 07:12 PM

\Not sure what the sentence means really (The Hotel?) but I do know that as the season has progressed, I've found myself getting more and more excited for each coming game.

Umm....RT Flozell Adams. The "Hotel" has been his nickname since like, 2003.

zulater
09-30-2010, 09:46 PM
If Charlie Batch can play another good game and help lead the Steelers to a win over the Ravens then resigning him could go down on the list for good offseason moves. I rememeber scoffing at the time when it was announced the Steelers were bringing him back ( before Ben's implosion) and wondering why? Anyway whether it be more by accident than design as far as Charlie having a signifcant influence on the season or not, so far his retention has proved positive, and hopefully does so again for this one more week.

steeltheone
09-30-2010, 10:16 PM
REMEMBER....When Gay filled in for Mac he had Troy....Last season no Troy, Gay and the rest suffered. I also agree about the SB Hangover.

StainlessStill
09-30-2010, 10:38 PM
I don't believe in that Super Bowl hangover last season. We did start the season 6-2 so there was no hangover for 8 games, but injuries and inconsistent play in the red-zone/play calling cost us in the long run. Significant Injuries to impact players and not being able to score when it counts can come back and haunt any team, not to mention horrid Special Teams.

zulater
10-04-2010, 06:08 AM

Overall I think McFadden was a good addition, or re-aquisition, but yesterday he was owned by T.J. Houseycallit on that winning T.D. :doh:

kirklandrules
10-04-2010, 06:33 AM
Yes he was ... for some reason he either thought he had inside help or was completely sold on TJ going to the flag. I'm thinking he was under the impression a safety would be helping inside.