PDA

View Full Version : Owners agree on CBA !! Labor peace restored !!

pittsburgh$teelersfan
03-08-2006, 08:43 PM
yep they have agree to a 6 year extension.Yippy hooray finally.

acrossthepond
03-08-2006, 08:46 PM
KFFL reports

NFL | Owners approve new labor deal
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 17:41:25 -0800

ESPNews reports NFL owners have approved the NFLPA's offer for a new collective bargaining agreement. The extension will last six years and take the league through the 2012 season. It is unknown what the salary cap will be for the 2006 season, but it will be higher than the previously reported $94.5 million.

BB2W
03-08-2006, 08:49 PM
Great news!... Gene Upshaw is still a prick. :busted:

AcesHigh
03-08-2006, 08:56 PM
:banana: now maybe things can get back to normal:banana:

pittsburgh$teelersfan
03-08-2006, 08:59 PM
now that it is approved we need to give ike taylor his long term contract.

Stillers#1
03-08-2006, 09:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2360258

here's the ESPN link.

$104 million dollar cap this year. Two teams voted against it, Cincy and Buffalo. I think I read it was a 6 year deal as well. More details in the article.

Atlanta Dan
03-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Vote was 30-2 with Bills and Bengals voting no. If the brain dead managements of those 2 franchises voted against it I will assume the deal makes sense.

Petesburgh66
03-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Considering the Steeelers were making moves to get under the 94.5 million cap number, the 10 million is only to going to help to keep guys like Keisel and Hope around. Maybe even ARE.

HburgXL06
03-08-2006, 09:16 PM
.......And now back to football. See you all again here in 6 years. I don't want to see the salary cap removed and have the NFL turn into the MLB. Peace.

BuFu

BlacknGold Bleeder
03-08-2006, 09:19 PM
HOO RAY ,it's about time they took their heads out of theis as$eS$ !!!

Atlanta Dan
03-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Considering the Steeelers were making moves to get under the 94.5 million cap number, the 10 million is only to going to help to keep guys like Keisel and Hope around. Maybe even ARE.

Higher cap means everyone has more $$ to spend. Steelers can raise their offers above what they had before, but so can the teams seeking the FAs.

If somone was leaving for a $3 million offer because the Steelers were only offering $2 million, they still probably will leave for a revised $4 million offer now that the Steelers can offer a revised $3 million.

TasmanianTroy271
03-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Definately some good news right here, now let's get back to football!

Ohio Steeler
03-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Great news!... Gene Upshaw is still a prick. :busted:

that he is and how much you bet he will step down now.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Wahhoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5393754?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

This is awesome.. after a long, drawn out, bullshiat process...the NFL came together in the face of adversity to prove we are the BEST sports organization in the world !!!

104 million, hell bring on the FA's now :laughing: ok, well maybe not..

OX1947
03-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Props to Tags, props to the PA and props to especially the owners of the NFL. With all the negative surrounding the Snyders and the Jones's, this proves that those guys were never the enemy, this proves that they sacrificed for the league and it proves that the NFL will always remain on top. As much as I dislike Gene Upshaw, he got his players a great deal, the owners realized that these players who put their lives on the line, deserve alittle more. This isnt baseball where guys sit on their butts 2 and half hours out of the 3 in their games. These guys ruin their bodies for life and deserve to be on a different level then those of basketball players and baseball players.

Paul Tags really out did himself in what will more then likely be his last CBA situation in his awesome commish career. He took over Rozelle's spot and carried the league to heights that even Rozelle me never have thought could happen. I am very happy right now, as a Steeler fan and especially as an NFL guy. The NFL is the best league in the world and football is the best sport in the world. I am so happy now that we as fans can really enjoy free agency and the draft and not have to worry about the whats if's. Long live the NFL....

Atlanta Dan
03-08-2006, 10:40 PM
It may have been a last hurrah for Tags, but not surprisingly Dan Rooney was involved as well.

During one break Wednesday, Tagliabue huddled in a hotel room with the owners Jerry Richardson of the Carolina Panthers, John Mara of the Giants and Pat Bowlen of the Denver Broncos, trying to get their help persuading the other owners to accept the deal.

Tagliabue said that the model for the agreement was devised by the Jets' owner, Woody Johnson, and Jonathan Kraft, president of the New England Patriots; it was modified by Dan Rooney, the Pittsburgh Steelers' owner, and **** Cass, president of the Baltimore Ravens; and further modified by Mara, Richardson and Bowlen, with help from Jerry Jones of the Dallas Cowboys and Arthur Blank of the Atlanta Falcons.

Did anyone else catch the video of Ralph Wilson saying he voted against the deal because he didn't understand it? What an embarassment the Bills franchise has become.

On the other hand, Jerry Jones apparently has been an owner long enough that he now works with others.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/09/sports/football/09nfl.html?hp&ex=1141880400&en=d086a51e74eb6d22&ei=5094&partner=homepage

DIESELMAN
03-09-2006, 06:44 AM
The revenue sharing model will require contributions of approximately $500 million over the first four years, and several hundred million over the final two years of the deal, in a tiered system. Tagliabue said that the top-five revenue teams will contribute the most, followed by the sixth through the tenth, then the eleventh through the fifteenth. In total, over $850 million will be contributed by the ?haves? to the ?have-nots? over the six years.

The franchise tag rule will not change significantly over the first two times a team tags a player, but Tagliabue said that the new provisions will virtually insure a long-term contract at that point ? it?s assumed that a third consecutive franchise tag of the same player would prove so cost-prohibitive that a long-term deal would be the only reasonable option.

Players drafted in the 2nd through 7th rounds will have maximum contracts of 4 years in future. First-round draft picks will still have contracts that are negotiable in years.

83-Steelers-43
03-09-2006, 07:17 AM
I'm just happy I don't have to watch teams such as NY, Washington or Dallas stock up on half the NFL and become the modern day Yankees or Red Sox.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-09-2006, 08:07 AM
Wonder how much this will influence ARE's decision when he said he'd take less to come back to Pittsburgh :rolleyes:

Comon boys, lets bring back Hope, Keisel, get Townsend back under contract and sign Ike to a long term deal. El would be the icing on the cake.

Ohio Steeler
03-09-2006, 08:19 AM
Wonder how much this will influence ARE's decision when he said he'd take less to come back to Pittsburgh :rolleyes:

Comon boys, lets bring back Hope, Keisel, get Townsend back under contract and sign Ike to a long term deal. El would be the icing on the cake.

I dont think EL will be back, from the way Big Ben is talking the teams does not want him back

Atlanta Dan
03-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Based on what I have read on ESPN.com, the increased cap space and prorating of bonuses over 5 years under the new CBA is regarded as allowing teams like the Colts and Seahawks to bring back at least some of their big name FAs. However, I believe those teams, among others, have a different strategy than the Steelers do when it comes to retaining FAs.

IMO part of what may be going on is that "the Steelers Way" involves negotiating with starters prior to the last year of their contract and, if the player does not settle up with the Steelers, that player is gone. It forces the player and his agent to resolve negotiations while allowing the Steelers to plan longer term for anticipated departures. If someone can name a major player whom the Steelers have signed when they were eligible for FA I would appreciate hearing it.

Because I do not see that strategy ending, I see the increased cap space going to bring back non-starters like Haynes, second line players like Kimo, and (hopefully) future starters such as Keisel, although I bet Cleveland will overpay for Keisel.

ARE is gone and Hope is convinced someone will pay far more than the Steelers for his services. I will be very surprised if either one stays. ARE can be replaced but losing Hope creates a major hole in the D.

83-Steelers-43
03-09-2006, 09:23 AM
I'm not stating they won a championship every year, but the more we avoid scenarios such as that, the better in my opinion. If they don't win a championship, they are in the playoffs and making a run while teams such as the Pirates consider finishing over .500 a huge accomplishment.

That's why I'm happy about this new deal and I would have to believe the majority of fans that are not based in DC, NY or Dallas are also. Oh well, deal is done and over with thankfully. Don't worry, I won't tell you to "wake up" or "get real", it's just my opinion....lol. :rolleyes:

83-Steelers-43
03-09-2006, 09:42 AM
This kind of reminds of "money is not everything", while that is true, tell that to somebody who is or was dirt poor.

Personally, I would rather have my ball team have a ton of money and not win a championship, than have no money and not win a championship.

I disagree with the Patriots comment. They won because of smart money decisions, smart management of players and a great coaching staff.

Eitherway, I like the cap.

83-Steelers-43
03-09-2006, 09:45 AM
Vote was 30-2 with Bills and Bengals voting no. If the brain dead managements of those 2 franchises voted against it I will assume the deal makes sense.

:sofunny:

Suitanim
03-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Apparently, Tagliabue's 3 hours speech worked.

Livinginthe past
03-09-2006, 10:59 AM
The high-priced teams aren't always in the playoffs, though. Look at baseball, where half of the top 10 in payroll missed the postseason entirely:

http://www.onestopbaseball.com/TeamPayroll.asp

Even if money was everything, the Steelers would be in great shape playing in a division with Cleveland, Cincinati and Baltimore. Those teams aren't going to outspend us, and we'd be in the playoffs all the time.

What, you don't think we could knock off higher-seeded teams in the playoffs? ... (pause) ... yeah, I guess this year really proved that, huh?

The Steelers will never be like the Pirates, even without a salary cap. Teams that make good decisions will always be right in the mix. In the worst case, the Steelers would be like the Oakland A's, only with a better chance of winning it all because of the shorter season.

Really, baseball has had more parity and more diversity in the Big Show than the NFL has. In football, it depends a lot on how you obey rigid, arbitrary financial rules, whch I don't really consider an essential part of the game. The Patriots' "dynasty" essentially happened because their accountants were the best at working the system. That's not how I want to determine the NFL champion. If anything, the Steelers this year, with all the young talent on their roster, should be an example of how smarts, not money, can win you a championship.

I see.

That is a new one - its now the 'accountants' who won 3 SB's for the Patriots was it?

Yet, playing under the same rules, the Steelers win was a victory for young talent and smarts? :rolleyes:

Arbitrary rules governing the financial side of football exist - with or without a salary cap.

Teams such as Arizona are incapable of competing with teams such as Washington and Dallas in a completely free-market - that is a fact - the CBA helps even the playing field a little.

Its refreshing to see someone argue against the CBA - but all I have heard you say so far is how things would be same with or without a CBA - hardly the greatest argument in favor of uncapped years.

NM

tony hipchest
03-09-2006, 11:22 AM
They won because of smart money decisions, smart management of players and a great coaching staff.

Eitherway, I like the cap. to illustrate this point further i got these figures from the reiss pieces patriots blog. i believe it is a list of the highest cap numbers from the team:

The team?s top salary cap figures are quarterback Tom Brady ($14.4 million), McGinest ($8.3 million), Richard Seymour ($7.4 million), Rosevelt Colvin ($5.7 million), Matt Light ($5.3 million), Corey Dillon ($4.3 million), Jarvis Green ($3.6 million), Mike Vrabel ($3.5 million), Rodney Harrison ($2.8 million), Tedy Bruschi ($2.7 million), Tyrone Poole ($2.5 million), Kevin Faulk ($2.5 million) and Ty Warren ($2.2 million).

the patriots were 4 mil under the $94.5 mil cap that was bumped up to $102 mil. plus they cut w. mcginest. this puts them right about $20 million under next years cap. re signing vinatieri will be no problem and they could even cut dillon and go out and get e james or j. lewis, and add t.o. to the mix and still have $$$ left over to sign some of their free agents on the cheap. if you look at the above figures there are alot of players that would be making more money if they were elsewhere (vrabel, bruschi, harrison- prime example and key building blocks)

Livinginthe past
03-09-2006, 11:28 AM
to illustrate this point further i got these figures from the reiss pieces patriots blog. i believe it is a list of the highest cap numbers from the team:

The team?s top salary cap figures are quarterback Tom Brady ($14.4 million), McGinest ($8.3 million), Richard Seymour ($7.4 million), Rosevelt Colvin ($5.7 million), Matt Light ($5.3 million), Corey Dillon ($4.3 million), Jarvis Green ($3.6 million), Mike Vrabel ($3.5 million), Rodney Harrison ($2.8 million), Tedy Bruschi ($2.7 million), Tyrone Poole ($2.5 million), Kevin Faulk ($2.5 million) and Ty Warren ($2.2 million).

the patriots were 4 mil under the $94.5 mil cap that was bumped up to $102 mil. plus they cut w. mcginest. this puts them right about $20 million under next years cap. re signing vinatieri will be no problem and they could even cut dillon and go out and get e james or j. lewis, and add t.o. to the mix and still have $$$ left over to sign some of their free agents on the cheap. if you look at the above figures there are alot of players that would be making more money if they were elsewhere (vrabel, bruschi, harrison- prime example and key building blocks)

Yep - those numbers are looking pretty healthy right now.

Its not often that the Pats have a huge surplus in cap room - they seem to judge it just right most years.

We have pretty much lost Givens to FA - he has done a great job for us over the last 4/5 years but I think we can certainly find an adequate replacement through the draft.

The odds of Vinatieri staying a Patriot have increased with the new CBA - I think this one could go either way.

I have a strong feeling McGinest will work out a new deal to stay a Patriot for the rest of his career - he is one the 'faces' of the Patriots CBA era Dynsaty.

Bruschi's cap numbers are quite amazing when you consider his worth to the team.

NM

tony hipchest
03-09-2006, 11:56 AM
looking at the pats numbers shows where they need to invest in some o-line depth. i think 5-6 steelers o - linemen would make that list as far as salary cap hit. (40 of the pats 53 man roster have less than a 2.2 milion cap hit) it also allowed us the freedom to let ross and vincent both go in the same year, and not drop to much in rush production and pass protection.

Prosdo
03-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Awesome news!

Livinginthe past
03-09-2006, 12:23 PM
looking at the pats numbers shows where they need to invest in some o-line depth. i think 5-6 steelers o - linemen would make that list as far as salary cap hit. (40 of the pats 53 man roster have less than a 2.2 milion cap hit) it also allowed us the freedom to let ross and vincent both go in the same year, and not drop to much in rush production and pass protection.

I actually think O-Line depth is OK for the Pats.

There has been a strong emphasis in picking up guys on the cheap, who may not be the most talented but who have a good work ethic.

I think we most probably have the best O-Line coach in the league - if you look at what he has achieved with so many 'who-dats' - our line very rarely breaks down.

As things stand we are probably looking at a front 5 of :

LT - Matt Light
LG - Logan Mankins
C - Dan Koppen
RG - Steven Neal
RT - Nick Kaczur

This would mean that we had two recent high round draft picks (Kaczur and Mankins) plus 3 other guys with multiple SB experience.

With Ashworth, Gorin, and Hochstein having seen plenty of playing time this year we should have sufficient depth barring major injury catastrophe.

I would however like to see the guys work on run blocking a little more - its probably alot to do with injuries and instability on the line - they done a great job of protecting Brady but we were unable to open up any sort of gaps for the running game.

NM

bigbensgirl7
03-09-2006, 12:38 PM
I for one, am relieved the deal is done finally!!!! Now back to football!!! HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!

Ohio Steeler
03-09-2006, 12:54 PM
I for one, am relieved the deal is done finally!!!! Now back to football!!! HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!

Damn Right

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!

melroseplace
03-09-2006, 04:52 PM
it's about freaking time...definitely glad to hear it :bouncy:

RoethlisBURGHer
03-09-2006, 06:32 PM
This is awesome.

WyomingCowgirlBarbie
03-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Other than a single sports writer mentioning Keisel and the browns why does everyone think he will go there. Is there some story or quote out there I'm missing?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-10-2006, 01:39 AM
The browns need DL help and depth in a big way and Keisel would be a good fit..but you can bet your las dollar he is HIGH on our priority list with Kimo's situation up in the air.

The clowns cant have him, he's ours damnit!

83-Steelers-43
03-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Other than a single sports writer mentioning Keisel and the browns why does everyone think he will go there. Is there some story or quote out there I'm missing?

This is from the PPG on February 26, 2006 -

Cleveland Bound?

The Steelers hoped to make Keisel a priority to sign, but instead he could come back to haunt them -- as a starter in Cleveland. The Browns have plenty of cap room, and Keisel might be someone they target and sign quickly. Two of their top needs are an outside linebacker/pass rusher and a 3-4 defensive end. Keisel can start for them at end and/or serve as a pass rusher.

"I feel we'll be fairly aggressive right off the top if certain players get to the market," Browns general manager Phil Savage said. "Those who wait, lose. Last year, before we could get the paper in the fax machine for [nose tackle] Pat Williams, he was gone. Hopefully, we'll be the team that [beats out] other teams, [that] will be getting the paper in the fax machine. We'll be fairly disappointed if we're not able to make a couple of moves fairly early." - The Pittsburgh Post Gazette

83-Steelers-43
03-10-2006, 08:19 AM

This story is what put the thought in most people's minds. It's pure speculation. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not set in stone that's he's going to Cleveland. It was simply mentioned that there is a chance that he could go to Cleveland. This is from the PPG on February 26, 2006 -

Cleveland Bound?

The Steelers hoped to make Keisel a priority to sign, but instead he could come back to haunt them -- as a starter in Cleveland. The Browns have plenty of cap room, and Keisel might be someone they target and sign quickly. Two of their top needs are an outside linebacker/pass rusher and a 3-4 defensive end. Keisel can start for them at end and/or serve as a pass rusher.

"I feel we'll be fairly aggressive right off the top if certain players get to the market," Browns general manager Phil Savage said. "Those who wait, lose. Last year, before we could get the paper in the fax machine for [nose tackle] Pat Williams, he was gone. Hopefully, we'll be the team that other teams, [that] will be getting the paper in the fax machine. We'll be fairly disappointed if we're not able to make a couple of moves fairly early." - [B]The Pittsburgh Post Gazette

If we lose him, we lose him. Obviously I don't want the guy to go, but if he does get picked up by another team we have to move on like we have done in years past.

WyomingCowgirlBarbie
03-10-2006, 10:31 AM
That is the story/sportswriter I was talking about. Since that story appeared it seems like everyone it thinking that Brett may go there. The curious thing is that they are not the team that is courting him the hardest.

83-Steelers-43
03-10-2006, 10:40 AM
The curious thing is that they are not the team that is courting him the hardest.

You brought this up in another thread and I asked the same question. Then who else is? If so, do you have a link?

Also, going by what Cleveland needs and their situation with the cap it's understandable why some people feel Cleveland are the front runners.

Livinginthe past
03-10-2006, 12:11 PM
OK, I have to admit I'm reluctant to give the Patriots credit mostly because I don't like the Patriots. Also, part of the reason they won three Super Bowls is because the competition was artifically weakened. Sure, they figured out the system better than most teams, kept together the best squad they could, and had talented coaches. But the Patriots are nothing like, say, Joe Montana's 49ers or the '85 Bears. Teams like that are outlawed these days, and there aren't too many really memorable clubs that get compared with the "best of all-time" anymore. That's what the salary cap takes away, and personally, I found it more fun when you have those kinds of teams around, whether you're rooting for them or whether you're the underdog that knocks them off.

Fine, I'll begrudgingly give you some credit, and I also have to admit that the Steelers benefited from the same things you did.

Also, I still do think the amount of players most teams lose won't change dramatically with or without a cap... but the big thing to me is, I think it's a lot more frustrating to lose players to the cap than it would be to lose them without one. Really, as a fan, it sucks to have a rule that gives you no chance of keeping a good and well-liked player around. Without the cap, some guys might leave, but at least you'd have a chance at keeping them if both sides wanted it to work.

If I was a player, I'd be more than a little insulted at being treated like a commodity to that extent.

Its an interesting debate - whether it is better to have marquee teams that win a majority of the titles or a kind of parity where 70% of the teams have a realistic shot at the beginning of the year.

There is an attraction to the possibility of having more All-Time Great teams in our generation, which the CBA tries to prohibit.

As a Pats fan I feel we haven't suffered too many high profile losses in terms of personnel that I have been seriously unhappy with - perhaps Milloy and Law were the biggest worries.

I think good teams can become complacent if they are allowed to to keep the same squad of players intact - and there is no hard and fast rule that the players you pick up in FA or the draft have to necessarily be a downgrade on the players you lose.

Drafting is still key - but proper cap management combined with good business ethics (the ethics the Steelers pretty much pioneered many moons ago) lead to a squad of talented, motivated individuals that will be capable of challenging for major honors year on year.

I dont think the Steelers and Patriots are going to share the next 10 SB's - but I see no reason why they both cant be very, very competitive over this period.

NM

Stlrs4Life
03-10-2006, 08:54 PM
The high-priced teams aren't always in the playoffs, though. Look at baseball, where half of the top 10 in payroll missed the postseason entirely:

http://www.onestopbaseball.com/TeamPayroll.asp

Even if money was everything, the Steelers would be in great shape playing in a division with Cleveland, Cincinati and Baltimore. Those teams aren't going to outspend us, and we'd be in the playoffs all the time.

What, you don't think we could knock off higher-seeded teams in the playoffs? ... (pause) ... yeah, I guess this year really proved that, huh?

The Steelers will never be like the Pirates, even without a salary cap. Teams that make good decisions will always be right in the mix. In the worst case, the Steelers would be like the Oakland A's, only with a better chance of winning it all because of the shorter season.

Really, baseball has had more parity and more diversity in the Big Show than the NFL has. In football, it depends a lot on how you obey rigid, arbitrary financial rules, whch I don't really consider an essential part of the game. The Patriots' "dynasty" essentially happened because their accountants were the best at working the system. That's not how I want to determine the NFL champion. If anything, the Steelers this year, with all the young talent on their roster, should be an example of how smarts, not money, can win you a championship.

Even though I prefer a salary cap in the NFL. I must say you make some very valid points!

WyomingCowgirlBarbie
03-11-2006, 11:02 AM
You brought this up in another thread and I asked the same question. Then who else is? If so, do you have a link?

Also, going by what Cleveland needs and their situation with the cap it's understandable why some people feel Cleveland are the front runners.

I don't have a link because it isn't public. Sorry. I've even gone to the web site of the team and they don't mention it either. It is really interesting that some teams are so public about who they are looking at and others aren't.

Atlanta Dan
03-12-2006, 08:21 AM
Good article in Sunday's Boston Globe describing how the owners put together a plan to ratify the CBA.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/03/12/behind_nfls_deal_a_driving_force/?page=2

Best parts of the article for me were the quotes where the big revenue teams were not feeling the love for Mike Brown and the Bengals:

At one point during the often contentious negotiations, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones mockingly offered to buy the naming rights to Paul Brown Stadium from the Bengals for $5million ''because I can double that in about five minutes, Mike." and

This argument over who deserved the money was punctuated when Redskins owner Daniel Snyder, who controls one of the league's richest teams, said he was ready to help any team in a bad circumstance but then turned toward Brown and said, ''But if someone has a publicly funded stadium they pay $1 a year for with no operating costs, I'm not helping that person."

The Bengals have a franchise QB and a good coach, but based on the quality of upper management and cash flow I expect the Browns to replace the Bengals as the Steelers main competition in the division sooner rather than later. Stories I have read on the CBA negotiations confirmed my impression Mike Brown is regarded by other NFL owners to be a clown.

Stlrs4Life
03-12-2006, 11:20 AM
So true Atlanta Dan, good post.

Midnightwriter1
03-21-2006, 05:09 AM
For financial reaons, you cant have the old school way before F/A... the NFL needs parity for merchandising reasons and revenue. The players are making more and more money, signing bonuses, new staduims, billion dollar stadium deals... the NFL has to keep the cap in order to keep all teams ( or try to ) competitive. If they dont fill the seats, sell merchandise, concessions, ect. overall then the NFL wont make as much money/ Nobody really wants to see a pair of 3-12 teams play and certainly not on television with nothing at stake.