PDA

View Full Version : Would a 4-0 start put MORE pressure on Ben...

kiuaswarrior
09-28-2010, 04:16 PM
to perform well than say a 0-4 start or a 1-3 start?

With a bad start, the Steelers would have nothing better to do but improve with Ben.

But, if the Steelers can manage to go 4-0, then wouldn't you say Ben will be under the microscope more if he can't perform well and win us games?

All hell would break loose if he doesn't deliver a W against Cleveland in his 2010 debut... but the 4 games after that are pretty brutal.

@Miami
@New Orleans
@Cincinnati
New England

Steelers>NFL
09-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Would be a lot less pressure on BB if team is 4-0 upon his return. IMO.
You figure you need to win 10 or 11 games just to get into the playoffs. That would mean
they only need to win 6-7 more games to get into the playoffs. This out of the last
12 games. Very, very achievable.
I predicted the Steelers to go 11-5. Just as I do just about every year.
But would love to see them go 13-3 or 14-2. With home field throughout the playoffs.

lionslicer
09-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Would be a lot less pressure on BB if team is 4-0 upon his return. IMO.
You figure you need to win 10 or 11 games just to get into the playoffs. That would mean
they only need to win 6-7 more games to get into the playoffs. This out of the last
12 games. Very, very achievable.
I predicted the Steelers to go 11-5. Just as I do just about every year.
But would love to see them go 13-3 or 14-2. With home field throughout the playoffs.

I could see them going 15-1

It puts less pressure on Ben to win to get to the playoffs, but the team is undeafeated without him, so the first game he loses, everyone is going to question him, and say "well the team did better without him" Thats stressfull. This might actually push him to play the best he can do, and possibly make that homefield advantage record come to life.

kiuaswarrior
09-28-2010, 05:09 PM
This might actually push him to play the best he can do, and possibly make that homefield advantage record come to life.

I agree with this.

If I were him, and I was coming back to a 4-0 team (if it happens), I'd want to make sure I perform the best I can to keep winning. I wouldn't want the reason for losses to be blamed on my return to the team.

I mean, everyone knows the Steelers will be better with him... but if for some ungodly reason they go on a losing streak after his return, there will be haters.

StainlessStill
09-28-2010, 05:34 PM
How's handling a 4-0 team putting pressure on Ben? I know it's easy to say thay but I think it puts more pressure on opponents to come here against Pittsburgh and have the game of their lives if anything.

Pressure is ALWAYS monumental at this stage and Ben has played in 2 Super Bowls. How much MORE pressure could he be faced with compared to that last drive in Super Bowl XLIII?

Ben will be just fine. He'll be out to prove. The pressure will be on our enemy to stop us.

kiuaswarrior
09-28-2010, 05:42 PM
How's handling a 4-0 team putting pressure on Ben? I know it's easy to say thay but I think it puts more pressure on opponents to come here against Pittsburgh and have the game of their lives if anything.

Pressure is ALWAYS monumental at this stage and Ben has played in 2 Super Bowls. How much MORE pressure could he be faced with compared to that last drive in Super Bowl XLIII?

Ben will be just fine. He'll be out to prove. The pressure will be on our enemy to stop us.

You know how the media and fans can be... after what happened with Ben, they will be quick to bring down the hammer on him if the Steeler can't keep the momentum going. Whether or not this puts pressure on him, we'll really never know.

stb_steeler
09-28-2010, 06:14 PM
BEN will be fine!!!

Shea
09-28-2010, 11:50 PM
I think the team doing as well as they are puts less pressure on Ben.

If he came back with the team being down 0-4, then resentment might be abundant towards him.

The O skitted by during his absence, thanks to our D, and it's all up from here on out after the Raven's game.

When Ben gets back we get even better.

SoCalFan
09-29-2010, 12:10 AM
What better way to bring him back than against the clowns!With that game and the bye,he will get his timing back and with a short season,we will have a well rested QB come playoff time!!!

whatdoiknow
09-29-2010, 12:19 AM
I can say one thing. If when Ben comes back, and say we are 4-0, and we lose to the Browns, ALL of the nations media will be critical of the steelers starting Ben right away, and when he is rusty, and upsetting our Chemistry. But I will assume when Ben does return for that Browns game, Tomlin will ease him into it, and mostly run the ball, and try to win it with defense. But if we do lose, the media will crusify our coach for starting him.

Shea
09-29-2010, 12:39 AM
I can say one thing. If when Ben comes back, and say we are 4-0, and we lose to the Browns, ALL of the nations media will be critical of the steelers starting Ben right away, and when he is rusty, and upsetting our Chemistry. But I will assume when Ben does return for that Browns game, Tomlin will ease him into it, and mostly run the ball, and try to win it with defense. But if we do lose, the media will crusify our coach for starting him.

Ben will start and no matter the outcome of the game it won't be on Tomlin if we lose that game and his decision to start him.

I'm thankful for the back-ups getting the job done during his absence but none of them are anywhere as talented as Ben.

mikegrimey
09-29-2010, 01:42 AM
That stretch of

Miami
New Orleans
Cincinatti
New England...

Is pretty rugged, I'd be slack-jawed if we walked through that without losing at all. Can only wait and see.

There's going to be pressure on Ben either way---but I'm very sure once he gets over the nerves of being back on the football field again he'll be just as good, maybe even the time off will have given him a chance to observe the game, which he doesn't get a lot of chances to do, and improve a little bit even.

I agree that if we go 4-0 and Ben plays terrible against cleveland and we lose, all hell will be unleashed or something like that.

Fire Arians
09-29-2010, 02:43 AM
less pressure, he won't have to dig us out of a hole

Pulse
09-29-2010, 04:15 AM
the way i see it is being 4-0 or even 3-1 is probably the best thing that can happen...

1. Less pressure on Ben to pull us out of a hole
2. When Ben does come back the defense wont have to be playing Steel Curtain Defense all the time
3. Makes a playoff berth a very obtainable task

Ben is going to come back from the BYE week with a full week of practice in him and will be ready to take the browns to town. I expect a very pass heavy game

sharkweek
09-29-2010, 04:31 AM
lol you're over thinking this

4-0 is LESS pressure because that just means he can afford to have a sloppy game. If they were 0-4,1-3, or even 2-2 there would be MORE pressure because the expectations would basically be for him to put the team on his back and carry them over the hump into a winning percentage.

So unless he's definitively hurting the team by throwing pick-sixes left and right there's no way there's any extra pressure just on him.

If there's any pressure for going undefeated its on the entire team, not just one player.

BlackNGold88
09-29-2010, 04:42 AM
lol you're over thinking this

4-0 is LESS pressure because that just means he can afford to have a sloppy game. If they were 0-4,1-3, or even 2-2 there would be MORE pressure because the expectations would basically be for him to put the team on his back and carry them over the hump into a winning percentage.

So unless he's definitively hurting the team by throwing pick-sixes left and right there's no way there's any extra pressure just on him.

If there's any pressure for going undefeated its on the entire team, not just one player.
Not to mention, we have the run game that can ease him back into playing. Besides if we can win with Dixon, Batch at QB. I'm sure we'll be ok with a rusty Big Ben.

pancake
09-29-2010, 04:45 AM

excellent point! :thumbsup:

tucker6
09-29-2010, 06:15 AM

What chemistry do we have on offense?? We've started two different QB's and have looked putrid most of the time. I don't really give Batch that much credit for those two TD's last week, as both should have been INT's, and will be INT's against the Ratbirds if he throws those again..

I'll be thankful for Ben's return, and I suspect so will the defense. If anything, my concern is the defense getting fat, dumb, and happy that the offense is back, and lays off a little on opponents. It happens even to the best.

SH-Rock
09-29-2010, 06:57 AM
It would in a sense, but Ben will have 2 weeks to practice with team and then there's Cleveland where his skills would be tested. Even if he does play horribly, the Steelers will still probably win. Then another week to practice and the real challenge comes is the Dolphins.

Curtain_of_Steel
09-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Not at all. First off is there any QB in the league who wants the ball when its hot out there? Game winning drives, superbowl drives? No only one. Is there any QB in the league who gives the praises and takes the blame? Nope only one.

I think the way the defense is playing and Ben coming back with 2 weeks to work out, I think the pressure is way less than if he started game 1.
Like SteelersNFl said a good portion of th ebattle would be run if they started 4-0, plus the ratbirds would have 2 losses.
Cincy is begging to explode and the Stains have been oxycleaned away already.

DoubleYoi
09-29-2010, 09:26 AM

Who in their right mind would crucify Tomlin for starting Ben over Batch and Byron? You start the 22 men who give you the best chance to win and Ben fits into that category without question. Even if we lose to Cleveland, he is still the franchise QB and starting him is a no-brainer. Yeah, there will be idiot fair-weather fans calling for Ben's head but when doesn't that happen in Pittsburgh? This is the same fan base that hung a Terry Bradshaw dummy off the balcony at Three Rivers. Also the same fan base that started vicious rumors about Kordell and Cowher when things weren't going so well in the late 90's. I was at the playoff game against the Jaguars a few years back and two fair-weather season ticket holders sitting behind me were calling Ben awful and saying Tomlin should be fired. We damn near came back to win that game and went on to win the Super Bowl the next year with those two at the helm.

Don't get me wrong, there are people in the media who have no business covering football but even the dumbest of them should know that you start Ben over the other options no matter what.