PDA

View Full Version : Batch Starting vs Baltimore

steelermania08
09-28-2010, 04:44 PM
What does everyone think of the move? Byron is healthy. Batch played great but he still did throw 2 INTS. Those two Mike Wallace TD's were almost lucky too. The second one at the least could have been easily picked off.

StainlessStill
09-28-2010, 04:57 PM
This team loves Charlie and what he brings to the table. He's been in the locker room around pretty much the same core of guys since 2002. He stepped into the starting role in Tampa Bay without BARELY getting any snaps in pre-season, let alone practice and hasn't started a game in 5 years.

With all of that, he stepped in, on the road, and our offense breaks out of its slump. Charlie made some great throws and kept the chains moving. He also showed some escape ability and moved around quite nicely. Of course, he threw 2 picks, and threw 2 long balls (which are thrown to give the receiver a chance) but just some weeks ago, Flacco threw 4 ints against the Bungles so lets not read too much into it.

Charlie is our guy until Ben returns and I'm 100% comfortable with that.

billym99
09-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Still completed 70% of his passes with a 106 rating... there is no excuse to sit him. I disagree that the first TD was luck, he planned on throwing towards Grimm if he turned his back and had one on one with Wallace knowing he wouldn't look for the ball. The second one could have been picked, but Ike Taylor could have also picked a similar pass later on in the game... DB's screw stuff like that up often (it's why the aren't receivers!!)

Don't forget about the needle he threaded to Hines in the back of the end zone, or a great 3rd down pass to Randle El that I THINK was just before the second Wallace TD (correct if wrong, was drinking heavily:tt03:)

whatdoiknow
09-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Batch, if he wins this sunday will be the QB who led us to two very Important wins,,,only to probably be rewarded by being Cut! Not unless you think Leftwich will be cut, which I guarantee you won't happen. And we won't keep 4 QB's on the active roster. So I guess that means Bye-bye Mr.Batch!

Spinlcrack
09-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Batch, if he wins this sunday will be the QB who led us to two very Important wins,,,only to probably be rewarded by being Cut! Not unless you think Leftwich will be cut, which I guarantee you won't happen. And we won't keep 4 QB's on the active roster. So I guess that means Bye-bye Mr.Batch!

You say "if", "probably" and then "guarantee". That is alot of speculation to base a guarantee on. If Batch wins or just plays well, what is the foundation of your guarantee? And if Batch was definately the one to be cut (as opposed to DD going on IR, for instance), why would he be starting this week?

Just curious to hear what facts your argument is founded upon. This is uncharted territory for the staff, I can't see any fan knowing what they will do. There is no precedent.

BengalDestroyer
09-28-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm totally ok with Batch getting the start. He's a great leader who knows his role on this team and lives for these opportunities. Yes he did throw two picks, however one was early and can you blame him for being just a little rusty?! The second one was later in the game and we were up by a lot already, I believe that if the game were closer, he would have made a better decision there. Also StainlessStill is right - the two touchdowns thrown to Mike Wallace were put in the air for Wallace to make a play with. I was pleased with the performance in Tampa, and am confident in Batch against Baltimore.

MasterOfPuppets
09-28-2010, 05:56 PM
ironically , the last game batch started in 2007 was against the ratbirds.week 17 batch was 16 / 31....218 yds ....2 tds / 2 ints ...qb rating 69.0 ...in a losing 21-27 effort

he's gonna have to play better than that.

whatdoiknow
09-28-2010, 05:58 PM
You say "if", "probably" and then "guarantee". That is alot of speculation to base a guarantee on. If Batch wins or just plays well, what is the foundation of your guarantee? And if Batch was definately the one to be cut (as opposed to DD going on IR, for instance), why would he be starting this week?

Just curious to hear what facts your argument is founded upon. This is uncharted territory for the staff, I can't see any fan knowing what they will do. There is no precedent.

Per the AP,

Steelers | Won't put Dennis Dixon on IR
Tue, 28 Sep 2010 12:31:03 -0700

Pittsburgh Steelers QB Dennis Dixon (knee) is expected to miss up to six weeks, but the team does not plan on putting him on the Injured Reserve list, according to The Associated Press.

0 Comments | Share: | Source: The Associated

So, since DD won't be IR. Then either the steelers will keep all 4 QB's on the roster, or they will cut Leftwich or Batch. Cause IF they were considering cutting Dixon, or placing him on the IR to save a roster spot, they would not have released this article from the AP, would they ? So someone is the odd man out. And we know it won't be Dixon, or Ben. And since Batch is like 6 years older and " Captain Brittle " when it comes to his health. Who do you think we will cut ?

Spinlcrack
09-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the article. I could not find Tomlins presser from today, however, Bouchette states in his chat ... 4 hours after the article
"Putting Dixon on IR is still an option because he won't be able to play for a month at least...(but) it's not yet a given that they will put Dixon on IR, just seems logical at this point - unless another QB is hurt."

So it appears the local beat reporter still believes it is an option to IR DD

I agree that Batch might not last if a stiff wind blows, let alone a sack, but, we, as fans, don't know what the decision will be.

The AP story has no qoute or source. I don't see any real reason to give a snow job story, but it happens. No reason to show your cards early. And with Florio writing about Ben rolling blunts...we can't always believe what we read.

They may just be waiting to see what happens this Sunday.

whatdoiknow
09-28-2010, 06:40 PM
If Batch is let go once Ben comes back will not be a direct reflection on Batch, so don't get me wrong there. I just think that the Steelers feel that at some point this season they may need Dixon. But Batch, if released will likely not get signed by anyone else. So IF later down the line say if Ben gets hurt for a couple of games, they can re-sign Batch again.

Spinlcrack
09-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Good point. I hadn't thought of the resigning, even though they just did it with Lefty.
I am not saying that Batch should be the guy, if all things were equal, but they aren't right now.
Interesting times indeed.

stb_steeler
09-28-2010, 07:32 PM
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz240/stbsteeler/b6666da2d6f1613ea1ca54bdb9f286b8-getty-98700874je014_pittsburgh_st.jpg

This guy will do fine!!!:tt03:

LVSteelersfan
09-28-2010, 08:10 PM
This is a tough one. No one on the coaching staff knew that Leftwich and Dixon would both get hurt. Charlie wasn't supposed to play at all. Interesting how things turned out. I hope the Ratbirds don't kill him.

pancake
09-28-2010, 08:22 PM
I am not sure what will happens to Batch after Ben returns, but I am cool with him starting this week over Lefty. He has earned it...

BlackNGold88
09-29-2010, 12:12 AM
Our Defense will put Batch in position to win this game. I don't respect Flacco at all right now. He has struggled against good Defenses.