PDA

View Full Version : Ravens to test Pouncey

mesaSteeler
09-29-2010, 12:20 AM
View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/09/28/ravens-to-test-pouncey/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

Ravens to test Pouncey
September 28th, 2010

Nothing has fazed Maurkice Pouncey during his remarkable ascent so the rookie center doesn’t figure to blink, as Mike Tomlin would put it, when he experiences his first Ravens-Steelers game.

Pouncey will spend much of Sunday lined up against Kelly Gregg or Haloti Ngata as he plays against a 3-4 defense for the first time in the regular season.

And the best defense, at least statistically, in the NFL.

“This guy has a tall challenge this week,” Tomlin said of Pouncey. “He’s doing an extraordinary job as a rookie but we don’t grade on a curve.”

Translation: Pouncey’s inexperience won’t be an excuse if he struggles with Gregg or Ngata, whom Tomlin said is “as dominant a defensive lineman as there is in football right now.”

Pouncey has been up to every challenge Tomlin has given him in becoming the first rookie position player to start during the fourth-year coach’s tenure.

Now comes the biggest one, almost literally, of his young career.

The 6-4, 350-pound Ngata has a unique blend of size and athleticism, and he plays everywhere along the defensive line. Gregg, Tomlin said, will be no bargain either when the 6-foot, 320-pounder is lined up over center.

Pouncey has looked like the next great center in the long line of them that have played for the Steelers. Sunday will provide a pretty good gauge of just where the 6-4, 304-pounder is as the Ravens will try to confuse Pouncey with different looks and overwhelm him with brute strength.

As Tomlin said, “He’s going to be introduced to the Ravens-Steelers rivalry pretty quickly, I’m sure.”

whatdoiknow
09-29-2010, 12:31 AM
According to NFL Stats.com, Browns Center Alex Mack was credited with 8 Pancake blocks on Ngata. And Mack is no bigger, and definitely no better than Pouncey. In fact, I think Ngata and Gregg prefer Bull-like strength Centers. It's the lighter, quicker techniqe Centers that give them trouble. One play last week Mack I swear moved straight into Ngata, and tossed him at least 10 feet up in the air, while RB P.Hills followed right behind him up the middle. So I am not too worried about Pouncey. I will take playing smarts & Quickness over pure strength any day.

BlackNGold88
09-29-2010, 01:30 AM
And we're gonna test that run D after what Hillis did to them.

mikegrimey
09-29-2010, 01:45 AM
This will be a real test for Pouncey, he's a rookie and that Ravens front line is big and bad as shite. Alex Mack is a really good center and Pouncey is looking good thus far too, but Mack has a little more experience. It'd be awesome if Pouncey can be a menace to the Ravens.

MasterOfPuppets
09-29-2010, 01:54 AM
whats going on with that fat tub-o-shit the ratbirds drafted ? cody

BlackNGold88
09-29-2010, 04:19 AM
whats going on with that fat tub-o-shit the ratbirds drafted ? cody
Inactive all 3 games and like 3rd on the DC at NT.

pete74
09-29-2010, 05:03 AM
i belive i read Cody is healed up and will be playing against us this sunday.

Pouncy is so freaking strong and has such great technique that he can handle any NT or DT in the NFL. 4 years from now he will have been in the pro bowl a few times and will be known as the best center in football. we should try to sign him to a 6 year extension right now because the price will go up every year

BlackNGold88
09-29-2010, 05:07 AM

Pouncy is so freaking strong and has such great technique that he can handle any NT or DT in the NFL. 4 years from now he will have been in the pro bowl a few times and will be known as the best center in football. we should try to sign him to a 6 year extension right now because the price will go up every year
I'm sure he would be smart enough to wait. He is for sure everything you can hope and ask for at center.

pancake
09-29-2010, 04:01 PM
I hope he keeps stepping up to the challange! :tt03:

madtowndrunkard
09-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Guys....Pouncey has looked good so far...but he's only played 3 games. Maybe we should dial things down a bit, at least until he actually plays a full season and maybe makes a probowl.

MasterOfPuppets
09-29-2010, 04:14 PM

i just looked up the info. actually he has the same injury dixon has.

The Ravens are still waiting for Terrence Cody to be healthy enough to activate on Sundays, as the rookie is working back from a knee surgery performed a month ago.
Ravens Head Coach John Harbaugh said that Cody could have played last weekend against the Cleveland Browns, but the numbers in selecting the correct 45 active men just didn’t point in Cody’s favor.
“I think his knee is not 100 percent. He’s done a good job. He certainly could’ve played,” Harbaugh said after the Ravens’ 24-17 victory. “It’s also, ‘Who do you put down?’ We had some good players up, and you only get 45, so that balance right there made the decision for us. And we’ll just have to see next week where we’re at. He’s ready to play though.”
Judging by the way Browns reserve tailback Peyton Hillis racked up 144 rushing yards on Sunday, the 350-pound defensive tackle’s return is highly anticipated.
“Terrence is getting healthier, and he practiced well last week and we’ll see how it goes,” said Harbaugh. “But, we want to get him up if we can.”
Cody could be especially needed with the hard-running Pittsburgh Steelers up next and Cory Redding dealing with a concussion from the Browns game.
The second-round draft pick said he expects to make his NFL debut at Heinz Field with two weeks of full practices under his belt.
“I’m practicing and playing this week definitely,” said Cody, who underwent the procedure in his left knee to repair a torn meniscus. “That’s what I was told.”
Against Cleveland, the Ravens had the services of starters Haloti Ngata and Kelly Gregg, and key backups Trevor Pryce and Brandon McKinney. Lamar Divens and Paul Kruger were the other defensive linemen deemed inactive.
“You’ve got a group of defensive linemen that are playing well,” said Harbaugh. “But then again, we might decide to put an extra [defensive] lineman up, too.

whatdoiknow
09-29-2010, 04:30 PM
When you are WAY over 400 Lbs,,,the knees can only take so much! Once Cody can take it down to say just 25,000 calories per day, he might be okay :-)

JEFF4i
10-05-2010, 10:04 PM
In hindsight, I think Pouncey did pretty darn well

Fire Arians
10-05-2010, 10:06 PM
In hindsight, I think Pouncey did pretty darn well

i saw him pancake some defenders right after the snap of the ball. dude had a solid game and is looking to be the real deal

pancake
10-06-2010, 04:32 AM
i saw him pancake some defenders right after the snap of the ball. dude had a solid game and is looking to be the real deal

And I wasn't crazy about the pick at first, but I love it now! I wanted Kyle Wilson...

finesward
10-07-2010, 07:39 PM
kyle who?

oh you mean that guy getting torched on the jets repeatedly? pass...

kirklandrules
10-07-2010, 08:39 PM
And I wasn't crazy about the pick at first, but I love it now! I wanted Kyle Wilson...

I hate the Gators and therefore, I hated that SOB center they had who was a real hog in the middle. So when the Steelers drafted him I thought we got the "steel" of the draft. Kinda funny how that draft pick change my mind on the guy real quick. :wink02:

pancake
10-08-2010, 04:40 AM
kyle who?

oh you mean that guy getting torched on the jets repeatedly? pass...

Thats the one... :chuckle: