PDA

View Full Version : Daunte Culpepper........

DIESELMAN
03-08-2006, 11:14 PM
MINNEAPOLIS -- Daunte Culpepper's shaky relationship with the Minnesota Vikings deteriorated further on Wednesday when the quarterback said he has asked to be released if the team can't work out a trade.

"Two days ago I got an e-mail from management that confirmed for me that they did not see me as the player or person that I see myself," Culpepper told ESPN's Andrea Kremer. "I was shocked. It pushed me to this point [seeking a trade]. The e-mail made no mention of trying to trade me, but I confirmed from an outside source that they were attempting to trade me. While I have not yet told the Vikings, if they do not trade me, I intend to ask the Vikings to terminate my contract."

In an e-mail to reporters, Culpepper asked the Vikings if he could speak to interested teams on his own behalf -- and was denied.

Culpepper said he appreciated that the team's new owner, Zygi Wilf, was willing to pay him a $6 million bonus due later this month.

"However, because of the fundamental differences I have with management regarding the approach to my personal and professional life, I think it is the best business decision for both parties to go our separate ways," Culpepper said.

He softened his message slightly by saying that if the team didn't honor his request, "then I intend to fulfill my contractual obligations to the Minnesota Vikings."

In a brief phone interview with The Associated Press, Culpepper said he had been angered by a recent e-mail he received from the team. He didn't elaborate on the contents of the e-mail.

A Vikings spokesman said the team would not comment on the e-mail.

Culpepper's status with the team has been in question ever since a boat party scandal on Lake Minnetonka in September. He was charged with several misdemeanors for lewd conduct; Culpepper has said he is innocent and will fight the allegations in court.

Further complicating Culpepper's situation is his continued recovery from a devastating knee injury on Oct. 30 against Carolina. Culpepper missed most of last season after tearing three ligaments in his right knee, calling into question whether he will be ready for the start of the 2006 season.

Even before the injury, Culpepper was having one of his worst seasons as a pro.

He threw twice as many interceptions as he did touchdowns during the Vikings' 2-5 start. After he went down with the injury, backup Brad Johnson guided the Vikings to six straight wins, though that was due as much to an improved defense as it was Johnson's play.

Culpepper let his longtime agent, Mason Ashe, go in the offseason. He has been representing himself since then, saying he wanted to be more involved in his financial business, and has issued several statements to the media conveying his general unhappiness with the organization.

Culpepper signed a 10-year, $102 million contract in 2003, but much of that money was not guaranteed. He restructured his contract during training camp last season to give him nearly $8 million more in guaranteed money, but the quarterback has not been a steady presence with the team during its coaching change.

Wilf fired Mike Tice after the last game of the season and replaced him with Philadelphia offensive coordinator Brad Childress.

During his introductory press conference, Childress proclaimed Culpepper the starter, though he acknowledged at the NFL combine that the team had received inquiries about his availability.

Childress said then that he hoped to have both Culpepper and Johnson on the team this season.

"That's the mindset," Childress said at the combine in Indianapolis. "I don't know anything to the contrary."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Ohio Steeler
03-08-2006, 11:18 PM
Culpepper's days are numbered in Minnesota

tony hipchest
03-08-2006, 11:21 PM
if i was a vikings fan id be disgusted first with moss being shipped off and then this.

Ohio Steeler
03-08-2006, 11:37 PM
if i was a vikings fan id be disgusted first with moss being shipped off and then this.

I dont see that team staying in Minnesota, I think they will be the next LA team

DIESELMAN
03-08-2006, 11:38 PM
He wasn't the same QB after Moss left and I doubt if he'll be ready to play for anyone after tearing 3 ligaments in his knee....

tony hipchest
03-09-2006, 12:10 AM
He wasn't the same QB after Moss left and I doubt if he'll be ready to play for anyone after tearing 3 ligaments in his knee.... the raiders arent going anywhere fast. i think they could afford to get him and let him rehab back to form. i think miami would be much better suited with brees and should forget about culpepper. i think daunte would be stupid to even consider the ravens. this job seems better suited for kitna or a journey man who still has something to prove. going to the ravens could be career suicide for daunta or brees and kitna doesnt have much to lose by going there if he gets a big payday, starts, but fails to make the playoffs.

Suitanim
03-09-2006, 10:30 AM
I thought for sure he'd stay after the Vikes agreed to pay his giant bonus...he's got to be mighty pissed if he still wants out.

tony hipchest
03-09-2006, 10:33 AM
it seems his feelings were hurt to find out they shopped him around after they said they didnt and hes butt hurt they havent really supported him the way hed like with his sexboatcapade.

Livinginthe past
03-09-2006, 10:48 AM
I think this is probably an attempt to rebuild the Vikes from the ground up.

Zygi Wilf has the reputation of being a strong disciplinarian - so I imagine he is eliminating someone he regards as a lockerroom problem - and also someone who has been a major figure for the Vikes for alot longer than he has.

Despite abundant cap room and mostly winning seasons the Vikes are the great pretenders in the NFC - alot of talent on paper - alot of space in the trophy cupboard.

Maybe the Vikes wont be challenging for major honors for the next season or two - but im sure the owners thinks its worth the short term sacrafice - to build a team that doesn't consistently underachieve and get embroiled in situations like the 'love boat' scandal.

NM

Atlanta Dan
03-09-2006, 12:56 PM
I dont see that team staying in Minnesota, I think they will be the next LA team

I agree. The Saints might have beaten the Vikings to LA, but for Katrina PR reasons the NFL now cannot bail out of New Orleans for a few years.

Another LA possibility is the Chargers, who have major problems with local governmet on their stadium deal.

The NFL may be reluctant to abandon the upper Midwest as a TV market unless the Minneapolis voters absolutely refuse to play ball on a new stadium, but my impression is that a majority of those voters have no inclination to bail out the Vikes and a small market baseball team.

Ohio Steeler
03-09-2006, 03:57 PM
I agree. The Saints might have beaten the Vikings to LA, but for Katrina PR reasons the NFL now cannot bail out of New Orleans for a few years.

Another LA possibility is the Chargers, who have major problems with local governmet on their stadium deal.

The NFL may be reluctant to abandon the upper Midwest as a TV market unless the Minneapolis voters absolutely refuse to play ball on a new stadium, but my impression is that a majority of those voters have no inclination to bail out the Vikes and a small market baseball team.

If NO's goes any where it will be to Texas can you say San Antonio Saints... I know there owner is not happy with NO and was trying to use the hurricane as a reason to move the team. I do belive he will get his way with in a few years

WWIIOwheelz
03-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Did you see how much they are under the cap, even paying him all that money? That's crazy. They played the Steelers tough early in their game last season, defense playing well.

Ambridge
03-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Culpepper let his longtime agent, Mason Ashe, go in the offseason. He has been representing himself since then, saying he wanted to be more involved in his financial business, and has issued several statements to the media conveying his general unhappiness with the organization.

I think Daunte must be taking the Drew Rosenhaus Beginners Course on "How To Be Your Own Agent and Look Like an Ass at the Same Time".

tony hipchest
03-09-2006, 06:34 PM
chris mortenson reported to look for culpepper to be traded in the next 24 hours. raiders seem to be #1 option.

Ruck Fules
03-10-2006, 07:38 PM

Why?

I can't see the Vikings going anywhere. That would be like the Cowboys moving somewhere else, I just can't see it happening. Maybe a team like the Saints or Cardinals but not the Vikes.

tony hipchest
03-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Why?

I can't see the Vikings going anywhere. That would be like the Cowboys moving somewhere else, I just can't see it happening. Maybe a team like the Saints or Cardinals but not the Vikes.the cardianals? have you seen thier new state of the art stadium? theyre not going anywhere. minnesota has been struggling for years to get a new stadium built. they need to escape the dump they play in to become more profitable.

them, the saints and cargers are favorites to wind up in l.a. with the colts as a longshot.
and the cowboys are already a relocated team so its not like its out of the realm of possiblity for the vikings.

Ruck Fules
03-10-2006, 07:56 PM
the cardianals? have you seen thier new state of the art stadium? theyre not going anywhere. minnesota has been struggling for years to get a new stadium built. they need to escape the dump they play in to become more profitable.

them, the saints and cargers are favorites to wind up in l.a. with the colts as a longshot.
and the cowboys are already a relocated team so its not like its out of the realm of possiblity for the vikings.

Yeah but that was before they became Americas team.

tony hipchest
03-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Yeah but that was before they became Americas team.
so? are you saying now the vikings are americas team?

Ruck Fules
03-10-2006, 08:29 PM
so? are you saying now the vikings are americas team?

No, I was talking about the Dallas Cowboys.

Suitanim
03-10-2006, 08:50 PM
That's pretty funny....I love how the Boyz fans always openly embrace the title that was bestowed upon them only AFTER the Steelers turned it down, then later further degraded it into "South America's Team" by the rampant team use of Bolivian Marching Powder. Nice to see that, just when it seemed the Cowboys MIGHT have turned a corner and finally shook off that well deserved, several decade spanning moniker, Mike Irvin gets popped for carrying coke...AGAIN...oh wait...I forgot. That ex-junkie is all clean now, and the cops screwed up. It was really Mike's FRIEND'S dope...
My bad.

tony hipchest
03-10-2006, 09:11 PM
No, I was talking about the Dallas Cowboys.ok. whats that have to do with your assertion that the cardinals are more likely to move to l.a. than the vikings?

Ruck Fules
03-10-2006, 09:40 PM
ok. whats that have to do with your assertion that the cardinals are more likely to move to l.a. than the vikings?

I just listed teams with little fan support, the Vikings have a lot of fan support. All I said was that moving the Vikings would be like moving the Cowboys cuz I just can't see it happening.

tony hipchest
03-10-2006, 09:48 PM
I just listed teams with little fan support, the Vikings have a lot of fan support. All I said was that moving the Vikings would be like moving the Cowboys cuz I just can't see it happening.

oh. ok. phoenix is a huge growing city. many people from places like minnesota, and the cardinals havent been in phoenix long enough to build a fanbase like the cowboys or steelers. for many in arizona the experience of going to a game kinda sucked sitting in 80-85 degree weather for 3 and a half hours in a college stadium watching a piss poor team. the new stadium is supposed to make the whole experience much better and add revenues to field a better product.

ive seen plenty of cardinals vs. cowboys games on tv where tempe stadium is flooded with cowboys jerseys. i think this will drastically change in the next 5 years

Suitanim
03-10-2006, 10:45 PM
So I guess if you can't beat 'em, you ignore 'em? Eh, "America's Team Fan"?

DIESELMAN
03-13-2006, 10:55 PM
Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Minnesota Vikings are still convinced a trade will be completed shortly involving QB Daunte Culpepper. The team has been given some additional time to work out a deal, as well. Originally, Culpepper was due a $6 million roster bonus payment Friday, March 17, but when the start of the NFL calendar year was pushed back, so was the deadline to pay Culpepper's bonus. It now is March 24, meaning the Vikings have at least 10 days before they have to pay any money to their quarterback.
Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports Minnesota Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper said he is not interested in joining the Tennessee Titans, which contributed to the team pulling out of the race to trade for him.Culpepper said he has sights set on joining the Miami Dolphins. Culpepper has requested the Vikings to either trade or release him.