PDA

View Full Version : OT - What ever happened to Kendrell Bell?

bozz723
09-29-2010, 07:11 AM
Seriously, what the hell ever happened to him? He's only 30 and used to be phenomenal. I can't find anything about why he has been out of the league since 2007.

Anyone know?

mesaSteeler
09-29-2010, 07:17 AM
He turned out to be a one year wonder.

Bell started all 16 games for the Steelers in his 2001 rookie season. He was an excellent fit for the Steelers defense, most likely because of his "blitzing abilities". The Steelers finished the regular season with a 13-3 record, earning them the top seed in the AFC. Bell was voted the AP NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year. The Steelers defeated their division rival, Baltimore, 27-10 in the AFC Divisional round, at Heinz Field. The following week, they went on to face the second seeded, New England Patriots. Bell recorded 8 tackles, a sack, and 2 passes defended. Despite his stellar performance, and a late 4th quarter comeback, the Steelers wound up losing the game, 24-17. In 2002, Bell was injured in week 1 in the AFC Championship Game rematch, versus New England. He missed the next 4 games, but returned in week 7 to face the Indianapolis Colts on Monday Night. He finished the season with 50 tackles, (33 less from his rookie year), and 4 sacks. Bell suffered from what many Pittsburgh fans called the "Sophomore Jinx". The Steelers finished with a 10-5-1 record, and went on to face arch rival, Cleveland. In an epic 36-33 comeback win over the Browns, Bell recorded 9 tackles, but injured his knee in the final quarter, and was listed as doubtful for the following week at Tennessee. Although hurt, Bell started the game against the second seeded Titans. He recorded only 2 tackles, before leaving the game once again with an injury. The Steelers lost 34-31 in one of the most controversial games in NFL history. In 2003, Bell amassed 99 tackles, and 5 sacks, despite the Steelers poor 6-10 finish. In 2004, Bell injured his knee yet again, and would not see the field until week 9. He played 3 games for the Steelers before he re-injured his knee in week 11 versus Cincinnati. In the 2005 off-season, the Steelers, who went 15-1 in the regular season without Bell, released him from the team. He then signed with the Kansas City Chiefs, where he played 3 mediocre seasons. Injuries prevented him from having the same impact he did in Pittsburgh. He was forced to retire in late 2007, due to another series of injuries.

Tone's Toes
09-29-2010, 07:23 AM
Injuries ruined him.

lionslicer
09-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Just one of those guys who just isn't built for the NFL. Bob Sanders is like that, he's only had 2 full seasons out of 5, and he's already injured this year. You see these type of players a lot. They are very good players, but can't stay healthy

kirklandrules
09-29-2010, 08:45 AM
This question came up to Mark Logan in the early spring this year. His response was that Bell just couldn't understand the playbook. He became a one dimensional player ... rush the QB. Aside from that he really never grasped what and where he was supposed to be. The basis of this outstanding defense is to do the unexpected ... can't do that with players that can only do one thing.

StainlessStill
09-29-2010, 08:53 AM
Funny this came up, me and my bro were just talking about him the other day.

Say what you want about Kendrell Bell, but that dude was a manimal (new word haha.) Before James Harrison came, it was Bell who was running through centers, picking them up and slamming them. He was so strong and used great leverage and hit like a train.

Most notable hits were in training camp when he hit Bettis in the backfield during drills and actually hit Bettis so hard that Bettis flew straight back and on his ass. Bettis said that was by far the hardest he's been ever hit.

The other was down in Tampa Bay in 2002. Tampa was on the goal-line and of coarse, they had the Brahma Bull in Mike Alsott who never gets hit for loss's. Alsott got the ball and met Mr. Bell in the hole. Bell came down with the hammer and knocked Alstott senseless, causing him to fumble.

Bell's ankle/knee injuries cost him as well as being a young player who couldn't grasp the playbook too well, but he could have been something big. He played his heart out in that Wild Card game against Cleveland in 2002 and single handily kept up in that game defensivley on 2 bad ankles.

I think he went to Kansas City where he wasn't used right. KC ran a 4-3 and I'm not sure if they used Bell as a D-end, or outside backer but he was none of those in the 4-3.

steeltheone
09-29-2010, 09:18 AM
I was at that epic Pittsburgh..Cleveland playoff game....Kendrell was limping around the field and still terrorized the Browns. One of the finest defensive performances I have ever seen!

tmacsteelerfan
09-29-2010, 09:23 AM
He was one of my favorite players too. It's only the players that I get jerseys of that we lose. Kendrell, Maddox, Porter, Holmes idk what it is?

StainlessStill
09-29-2010, 09:28 AM
I was at that epic Pittsburgh..Cleveland playoff game....Kendrell was limping around the field and still terrorized the Browns. One of the finest defensive performances I have ever seen!

Yes, so was I. One of the greatest and most wildest finishes I've ever been to. That stadium went out of control when Fu scored. On that last drive, I was screaming so hard that I had to squeeze my head and sit down in between plays because of migrains from screaming. Crazy. I remember for some reason up in Section 515, when Maddox threw a pass to Ward over the middle I thought it was picked and I sat down in my seat in sadness and my brother was like "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?! GET UP 1st down! " Poor saps who left the game in the 3rd QRT wanted back in. Everyone should know to never-ever leave a Pittsburgh Steelers game until 0:00 is on the clock. That's my written rule. We never leave, win or lose, no matter the margin until 0:00.

lionslicer
09-29-2010, 10:09 AM
He was one of my favorite players too. It's only the players that I get jerseys of that we lose. Kendrell, Maddox, Porter, Holmes idk what it is?

If you buy a Polamalu jersey, the whole forum with hunt you down.

Tone's Toes
09-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Yeah, Bell was known to have issues understanding the defense etc. Ed Bouchette said he asked a Steelers player about Timmons recently and the player described Lawrence Timmons as Kendrell Bell with the difference being LT knows what he's doing.

whatdoiknow
09-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Bell had a good first season. And a couple of decent ones after that. But Bell was a " Pretty Boy " He never liked to get Dirty, or in the pile so to say. I never really liked his style. Now if you wanna talk about a former Steeler LB I LIKED...try Mr.Earl Holmes!

Now HE was a tough SOB! And I was truly sorry to see him leave Pittsburgh. But especially for Cleveland! And in his first season there, he totally turned the Browns defense around to have one of their best seasons defensively, and led them to the playoffs.

Here's to you Earl :-)

SuperSteelers
09-29-2010, 11:09 AM
Bell had a good first season. And a couple of decent ones after that. But Bell was a " Pretty Boy " He never liked to get Dirty, or in the pile so to say. I never really liked his style. Now if you wanna talk about a former Steeler LB I LIKED...try Mr.Earl Holmes!

Now HE was a tough SOB! And I was truly sorry to see him leave Pittsburgh. But especially for Cleveland! And in his first season there, he totally turned the Browns defense around to have one of their best seasons defensively, and led them to the playoffs.

Earl "The Hitman" Holmes.... he was fun to watch, for sure..

kirklandrules
09-29-2010, 11:59 AM

Lol that just doesn't make sense. Bell was far from a pretty boy. He put everything into every down.

BlackNGold88
09-29-2010, 01:14 PM

:toofunny: Doesn't that suck? I hate buying jersey for that reason alone. I guess you could always get the name plate replaced. Or do it the ghetto way with tape

kirklandrules
09-29-2010, 01:41 PM
:toofunny: Doesn't that suck? I hate buying jersey for that reason alone. I guess you could always get the name plate replaced. Or do it the ghetto way with tape

Yeah, I have a 97 Bell jersey myself. He was awesome his rookie year and I thought we had the next Jack Lambert in hand (my wife gave it as a xmas gift). But now I have a jersey that only the die-hard fans know and feel my pain over.

stb_steeler
09-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Yes, so was I. One of the greatest and most wildest finishes I've ever been to. That stadium went out of control when Fu scored. On that last drive, I was screaming so hard that I had to squeeze my head and sit down in between plays because of migrains from screaming. Crazy. I remember for some reason up in Section 515, when Maddox threw a pass to Ward over the middle I thought it was picked and I sat down in my seat in sadness and my brother was like "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?! GET UP 1st down! " Poor saps who left the game in the 3rd QRT wanted back in. Everyone should know to never-ever leave a Pittsburgh Steelers game until 0:00 is on the clock. That's my written rule. We never leave, win or lose, no matter the margin until 0:00.

I loved that game....2002 playoff right?. Any one know if that games on dvd anywhere?. Ive been looking to no avail.

pancake
09-29-2010, 02:22 PM

I still have Bell's jersey. :banging:

lionslicer
09-29-2010, 02:30 PM
I still have Bell's jersey. :banging:

I still have Staley's jersey lol... And he was only promising for like 5 games

StainlessStill
09-29-2010, 03:58 PM
I loved that game....2002 playoff right?. Any one know if that games on dvd anywhere?. Ive been looking to no avail.

They play it on NFL Network sometimes. Not sure if the game can be downloaded anywhere. I actually got it on tape somewhere. I should load it to a DVD or something.

cloppbeast
09-29-2010, 04:31 PM

I saw this guy with a Limas Sweed jersey on. He put a piece of duct tape over the "S" in Sweed on the back. I got a chuckle out of that.

fer522
09-29-2010, 05:33 PM

don't even think about getting a polamalu jersey or we'll kick your a**
i already know where you live :tt03:
:rofl::rofl:

Fire Arians
09-29-2010, 06:45 PM
whatever happened to bell, i hope doesn't happen to timmons

frunko1
09-29-2010, 06:57 PM
They play it on NFL Network sometimes. Not sure if the game can be downloaded anywhere. I actually got it on tape somewhere. I should load it to a DVD or something.

The entire game is spread out on youtube.
edit: first link was posted by some browns fan and he cut out most of the game.

here is the full game on hulu
http://www.hulu.com/watch/124295/game-of-the-week-2002-browns--steelers

steeltheone
09-29-2010, 07:20 PM

I was standing at the top level along the rail facing the open end. When we won everybody started a big mosh pit, screaming, jumping up and down and slamming off each other. It was insane. I did something to my knee and limped out of the staduim. But it was so worth it!

Slanted August
09-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Funny this came up, me and my bro were just talking about him the other day.

Say what you want about Kendrell Bell, but that dude was a manimal (new word haha.) Before James Harrison came, it was Bell who was running through centers, picking them up and slamming them. He was so strong and used great leverage and hit like a train.

Most notable hits were in training camp when he hit Bettis in the backfield during drills and actually hit Bettis so hard that Bettis flew straight back and on his ass. Bettis said that was by far the hardest he's been ever hit.

The other was down in Tampa Bay in 2002. Tampa was on the goal-line and of coarse, they had the Brahma Bull in Mike Alsott who never gets hit for loss's. Alsott got the ball and met Mr. Bell in the hole. Bell came down with the hammer and knocked Alstott senseless, causing him to fumble.

Bell's ankle/knee injuries cost him as well as being a young player who couldn't grasp the playbook too well, but he could have been something big. He played his heart out in that Wild Card game against Cleveland in 2002 and single handily kept up in that game defensivley on 2 bad ankles.

I think he went to Kansas City where he wasn't used right. KC ran a 4-3 and I'm not sure if they used Bell as a D-end, or outside backer but he was none of those in the 4-3.

Nice Recall. I believe in that Cleveland Game is where his hit literally stopped a RB in mid air at the goal line.

StainlessStill
09-29-2010, 08:03 PM
I was standing at the top level along the rail facing the open end. When we won everybody started a big mosh pit, screaming, jumping up and down and slamming off each other. It was insane. I did something to my knee and limped out of the staduim. But it was so worth it!

Lmao, I hear yah, man. I was running up and down the steep Heinz Field stairs up in the 500 sections hugging anyone I could. I truly adore going to Steelers games, it really does top my bucket list on one of the joyest things I ever enjoy. Always meeting new friends and people along the way.

I've been to tons of games, and other than that FU score, there was only 2 occasions where that stadium lifted off its roots, atleast to where I was present.

When Santonio took that punt return back against the Chargers in '08 to the house, I was in the bleacher sections. It was kind of like what you mentioned at the Cleve game. We all kind of mosh pitted & we all stood on the bleachers, just doing a rowdy/mosh pit and all hugging. All strangers united haha, so awesome.

And the other was Troy's interception in the AFC Championship game. All I saw was Troy leap and I knew he picked it off. My whole section just tackled on each other, all on top of my Dad while the place shook. I thought it was going to crumble to the ground. Can't wait to experience that again in the near future. Nothing beats it.

Goat27
09-29-2010, 10:06 PM
I still wear my #97 jersey...

StainlessStill
09-29-2010, 10:21 PM
I still wear my #97 jersey...

Nothin' wrong with that. He was a one of a kind at the time. My brother still likes him too and appreciates what he gave us with his brief time here. He still has his Kendrell Bell action figure still in the casing.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d179/Punksteve/NFL9Bell.jpg