PDA

View Full Version : Team Report: Inside Slant

Ohio Steeler
03-09-2006, 01:02 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers believe they can win without Antwaan Randle El, apparently from management to players.

Several key players gave lukewarm endorsements for Randle El recently and then talked as if losing him were a foregone conclusion.

"If we don't have Antwaan, the next guy who comes in has to step up and perform, just like when we lost Plax," Super Bowl MVP Hines Ward said in reference to losing Plaxico Burress in free agency last year. "Everybody kept saying we couldn't win when we lost Plax -- here we are Super Bowl champions."

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger twice made pleas last year for the Steelers to keep Burress, who wound up getting no offer from the Steelers and signed with the New York Giants. He made no such plea for them to keep Randle El and even suggested they would miss him more as a punt returner than as a receiver.

"They're different players, Plax being a big, tall guy and Antwaan's a very good possession guy," Roethlisberger said. "If we lost him, we'd lose him big-time in the punt return game. He gives us such good field position every time we get the ball. That would be probably where we'd miss him a lot."

The quarterback said that Cedrick Wilson could replace Randle El anyway. Wilson was the team's only unrestricted free agent signing last year. He played split end when the Steelers used three receivers. Randle El caught 35 passes for 558 yards and Wilson caught 26 for 451.

"I have a lot of confidence in Cedrick that he can step in," Roethlisberger said. "He did a great job of filling in this year and he will continue to grow in this offens

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamReport?categoryId=67067&type=InsideSlant

ngreene15
03-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Losing ARE wouldn't be the end of the world, along with Cedrick stepping up, Quincy Morgan could get more playing time... He can get the job done.

ngreene15
03-09-2006, 03:42 PM
i couldn't agree more!!!! 35 catches and 1 td in 16 games is just pathetic for a starting reciever. if wilson is the starter ,i expect the same kind of numbers out of him. we were at the bottom of the barrel when it came to 3rd down conversions this year .why???.....because we had no one to stretch the field,and our recievers could be covered one on one with a mediocre DB. we need a deep threat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep in mind the Steelers run to pass ratio (Like 60/40 in favour of running the ball.). I think ARE made the most of the oppurtunities he got as a reciever in the regular season.

Ohio Steeler
03-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Losing ARE wouldn't be the end of the world, along with Cedrick stepping up, Quincy Morgan could get more playing time... He can get the job done.

I like Quincy and would love to see them get him the ball more

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-09-2006, 06:19 PM
when we think of resigning antwan. think of the patriots game.!!!
then you wnt want him

acrossthepond
03-10-2006, 03:19 PM
Quincy hasn't got the best hands. I know receivers can get over this sometimes - if he develops into a reliable starting pass catcher, then watch out NFL, he can make plays

SteelerzGirl
03-10-2006, 05:17 PM
I like Randle El. He's one of my favorites and I would hate to see him go. Ben likes big targets like Heath Miller and Cedric Wilson.

BlacknGold Bleeder
03-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Boy some of you are jumping off the ARE bandwagon pretty quick!! ARE is a GOOD reciever in his role, unfortunately some team is going to give him outrageous money like he's a No.1 reciever , he isn't. He is a good No. 2 and great No.3. The Steelers do not overpay players, see Plaxico Buress.

I would just like to see him follow Hines's lead and take a little less money and be faithful to the team that has given him the chance!!

ngreene15
03-10-2006, 07:56 PM
I like Randle El. He's one of my favorites and I would hate to see him go. Ben likes big targets like Heath Miller and Cedric Wilson.

Big Target?

Stlrs4Life
03-10-2006, 08:38 PM
I agree, and the way /i read that is, not one of them was dissing El. They know what El did for the team, they are just speaking the truth.Especially what Hines said.