PDA

View Full Version : What Fueled The 70's Steelers Dynasty ? NOT "Under The Radar".

SteelerEmpire
09-29-2010, 10:55 AM
What Fueled The 70's Steelers Dynasty ? NOT "Under The Radar".

As I sit and read so many discussions and commentaries surrounding the Pittsburgh Steelers I can't help but notice a single phrase that keeps repeating itself over and over again without fail; and that phrase is "under the radar".

Under the radar ? What does it mean ? In the context of Steeler football it means: to be ignored when repute is warranted, to be called short when you are tall, to be called blue when you are green, to be called bad when you are good.

But what is the physics and logic of 'under the radar' ? To me it means you basically do good when your not noticed, and then basically do bad after you have worked hard and toiled to make a name for yourself...this process then repeats itself over and over... in other words your "running laps" or "running in circles" (some of you who are familiar with this term's religious definition already know what I mean). So you never show your full potential or in the US Army's words, "Be all you can be."

This whole concept led me to think about the atmosphere that the 70's Steelers developed and actually thrived in. The Steelers were a team that went 'under the radar' (for good reason) for close to the first 40 yrs of their existence... then came Chuck Noll. We already know what he did, so I won't re-elaborate. But too many don't know, or forgot, the type resistance the team faced in the decade of the 70's... It was all Packers or Cowboys !!!

There was so much adoration for Vince Lombardi's team, the Green Bay Packers, and 'America's Team', the Dallas Cowboys, that some back-water 40 yr losing unit called the Pittsburgh Steelers caught the temperament of the nation off guard. Fast forward, the Steelers were 'under the radar' ONLY the year leading up to that first Super Bowl title in 74-75. After that... no more under the radar (man I don't like those 3 words).

If there was any type of motivation that drove the 70's Steelers the biggest was THAT SO MANY PEOPLE HATED THIS TEAM !!! Cowboys fans, Packers fans, Bears fans, Colts fans, Minnesota fans... etc... It was just sure HATE of the Steelers (sound familiar ?) that was so thick in the air you could see it !!! Almost out of nowhere the 'nobody' Steelers took over the NFL. That ticked some pretty big names in sports off to (again, sound familiar ?). Why just ask the "stupid, dumb, retarded" Terry Bradshaw (and those were some of the lighter terms thrown his way)... the whole team went through it. Now we have Ben, the 'Rapist' ... if you listen to and believe BS stories surrounding the issue. That's on top of "paying the refs" and "70's Steroid" ridicule... and I can go on. We can't get no respect.

After the world saw what the Steelers could do after that first SB win, then the 2nd, there was no more 'under the radar'. There was just pure, cold, up-front 'disdain'... pure and simple. And Lambert and Co. made them (the haters) eat it for Sunday dinner countless times... it was the Steelers primary source of motivation. The HATE of the team... 'under dogs' they were not.

I submit that there are "plenty" of Steeler fans today. After 6 Super Bowl titles there should be... but THERE IS NO OTHER SINGLE FRANCHISE MORE HATED as well !!! ...still the same after all these years.

Man. Why do so many people "absolutely" hate the Steelers, and now even their fans - Steeler Nation, today ?

The Hatred, the Hatred... vs the Love of the Steeler Nation

lionslicer
09-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Under the Rader isn't really relevent anymore, because any NFL fans access NFL.com, ESPN, and NFL network and whatever else they can get to. NFL Today and all those shows before and after NFL games cover a lot. Teams like the Jags, Seahawks, Bucs and the Rams are actually under the radar due to lack of fan support, lack of media coverage and lack of everyhing really. During years Jaguars had championship caliber teams, many didn't even know they made it to the playoffs until they saw the game.

Steelers aren't under the radar, especially this year, everyone knew they didn't have Ben and predicted they would lose most of their first 4 games. If a majority of people hate a team, they aren't under the radar, just hated.

colescott1
09-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Depends on your defination of "under the radar", lionslicer.

Look at the prognosticators predictions since preseason. I think what SteelEmpire means is....we weren't predicted to do ANYTHING successful this year. Shoot... I remember seeing an article posted on here anticipating a 6-10 season from a newspaper based in Pittsburgh! Nobody has us winning the AFC North, etc. By that account, and despite all the free flowing information, the Steelers certainly WERE "under the radar". Now, however, when you climb atop the NFL Power rankings (NFL.com), with a 4th String QB....you can bet that any "stealth" approach is long gone.

lionslicer
09-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Depends on your defination of "under the radar", lionslicer.

Look at the prognosticators predictions since preseason. I think what SteelEmpire means is....we weren't predicted to do ANYTHING successful this year. Shoot... I remember seeing an article posted on here anticipating a 6-10 season from a newspaper based in Pittsburgh! Nobody has us winning the AFC North, etc. By that account, and despite all the free flowing information, the Steelers certainly WERE "under the radar". Now, however, when you climb atop the NFL Power rankings (NFL.com), with a 4th String QB....you can bet that any "stealth" approach is long gone.

I think that fits being the underdog more than under the radar.

MikeHaullace
09-29-2010, 02:29 PM
What Fueled The 70's Steelers Dynasty?

Cocaine.

lionslicer
09-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Everyone in the 70's and 80's was on cocaine, you're arguement is null and void.

colescott1
09-29-2010, 03:31 PM
I think that fits being the underdog more than under the radar.

You say potato, I say potaato.... in the end we're all sayin the same thing. Lets just keep on winning! :tt04:

MikeHaullace
09-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Everyone in the 70's and 80's was on cocaine, you're arguement is null and void.

I didn't post what I did for 'argument' sake. I posted it for truth. I'm glad to see you agree with me. It would be a shame if you tried to deny the truth.

SH-Rock
09-29-2010, 05:25 PM
What fueled the 70's dynasty was Chuck Noll and his attitude that just because you one the SB your not world champs. You have to repeat it every year to prove it.

MikeHaullace
09-29-2010, 05:28 PM
What fueled the 70's dynasty was Chuck Noll and his attitude that just because you one the SB your not world champs. You have to repeat it every year to prove it.

And cocaine. :tt03:

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-29-2010, 05:39 PM
And cocaine. :tt03:

Nope. That was the Raiders and Cowboys lockerroom. Our guys generally preferred anaerobic steroids over cocaine and speed.....