PDA

View Full Version : NFL team in London??

lionslicer
09-29-2010, 02:14 PM
NFL is already playing to play more than 1 game a year in London, and there is speculation that London will have its own expansion team or a current NFL team will move there. IE Jags or Bills.

But NFL is sure at some point in the distant future there will be a London Superbowl and speculation of maybe a Pro Bowl.

Having a game over there is bad enough because of the time zones, but moving a team there or having a Super Bowl there is just crazy talk.

steelax04
09-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Any links for this information? I'd like to read up on it.

lionslicer
09-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Any links for this information? I'd like to read up on it.

Here's some links

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8193f714/article/mawhinney-aims-to-improve-nfls-foothold-across-the-pond

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/jed-york-49ers-owner-says-there-likely-will-be-super-bowl-and-nfl-team-in-london/25028

This one is Goodell himself talking about a team in London last year.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-10-23-nfl-in-london_N.htm

"I expect that sometime in the next couple of years, we could be playing multiple games here," Goodell said. "If we brought more than one game here, and it continues to have the same kind of enthusiasm and growth of interest, I think that is about as good of an indicator you can get that it could successfully support a franchise. And that's what we're looking at."

MasterOfPuppets
09-29-2010, 03:02 PM
i really do believe this is the motive behind the 18 game schedule. they'll put in an extra bye week for every team which will be used the week after the team plays in europe.
the day that they announce the superbowl will be played in another country will be the day that i toss all things NFL related in the trash , and stop watching NFL football...:popcorn:

steelerohio
09-29-2010, 11:05 PM
No please no... :doh:

Mots
10-03-2010, 03:05 AM
Why would having a Superbowl in London be such a bad thing?

I get that having a team outside of the continent of America would be ... interesting, as teams would have to fly e.g. all the way to Europe and back (and the Europe team would really rack up the miles flying constantly back and forth from the USA) which creates obvious problems.
But the Superbowl? There are two weeks time between the Conference Finals and the Superbowl anyway, so things like jetlag shouldn't be an issue.

Why are you guys so opposed to the idea of a Superbowl in Europe?

BlackNGold88
10-03-2010, 03:09 AM
Could you imagine how bad it would suck to be the team that played in London? They would have loads of travel time. Let alone when they play a game in California or something.

Stanley
10-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Terrible idea.
:thmbdown:

steeltheone
10-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Screw London...Its an American Sport!

SteelCityMom
10-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Why would having a Superbowl in London be such a bad thing?

I get that having a team outside of the continent of America would be ... interesting, as teams would have to fly e.g. all the way to Europe and back (and the Europe team would really rack up the miles flying constantly back and forth from the USA) which creates obvious problems.
But the Superbowl? There are two weeks time between the Conference Finals and the Superbowl anyway, so things like jetlag shouldn't be an issue.

Why are you guys so opposed to the idea of a Superbowl in Europe?

If they made the venue they played in better for a SB game, I might not be so opposed to it. As it is now, I've seen and heard nothing but bad things about playing in Wimbledon. I've heard the field is just horrendous. I don't think any team wants to play on that for the biggest game of their season (and possibly career).