PDA

View Full Version : Name that D

ricardisimo
09-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Our D looks like one of the better ones we've had, which is really saying something. Let's give it an appropriate nickname.

I've provided a few options for the poll, but I suspect the winner will be (and should be) "Other", with everyone submitting their personal choice. After we get a nice tasty snack pack together, we'll redo the poll with all of the best options. I'd like nothing more than to get the FO's blessings to get some sort of "official" contest tag attached to it. Irregardless, I think it will be fun to see how awful all of your ideas are compared to my wonderful, godlike ideas.

Fire up those keyboards...

Edit: I'm going to shamelessly plug for my favorite, "Monster Zero".
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/kOvScJfV5Ns/0.jpg

MikeHaullace
09-29-2010, 05:53 PM
One of these variations :

Apocablitz / Apoca Blitz / Apoca-Blitz

(Play from Apocalypse)

That way, each week will be the "Coming of the Apocablitz" for opposing offenses.

whatdoiknow
09-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Our D looks like one of the better ones we've had, which is really saying something. Let's give it an appropriate nickname.

I've provided a few options for the poll, but I suspect the winner will be (and should be) "Other", with everyone submitting their personal choice. After we get a nice tasty snack pack together, we'll redo the poll with all of the best options. I'd like nothing more than to get the FO's blessings to get some sort of "official" contest tag attached to it. Irregardless, I think it will be fun to see how awful all of your ideas are compared to my wonderful, godlike ideas.

Fire up those keyboards...

Edit: I'm going to shamelessly plug for my favorite, "Monster Zero".
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/kOvScJfV5Ns/0.jpg

How about " The Steel HAMMER Gang "

lionslicer
09-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers Defense is good, everyone knows the Steelers defense is always good. I think it fits more to this era, Steel Curtain was a big brutal defense, wasn't as finess as today and wasn't complicated.

Blitzkrieg is cool, but I swear another NFL defense in the past had that, I could be wrong though.

I came up with this, I think its silly lol
The Lebeau Overflow

MikeHaullace
09-29-2010, 06:02 PM
I voted for "Other" though I didn't bother to read the selections.

Had I seen "The Pittsburgh Steelers Defense", I would have voted for that instead. Just sayin'.

I'm still cool with Apocablitz though. It has marketability, therefor I coin this as my poor-man's copyright to the following :

Apocablitz / Apoca Blitz / Apoca-Blitz

:flap:

whatdoiknow
09-29-2010, 06:04 PM
How about " The Black & Blue Wrecking Crew "

MikeHaullace
09-29-2010, 06:08 PM

My high school class defensive captains used that when seniors.

They went 4-6. lol

whatdoiknow
09-29-2010, 06:11 PM
My high school class defensive captains used that when seniors.

They went 4-6. lol

That's because you guys SUCKED! On MY High School Football team, we called ourselves the " Pink Ladies " :applaudit: And in 12 games we had 162 QB Sacks...( Confirmed in the California Records. )..and 8 of our defenders went on to college, and some to the NFL! ( NOBODY messes with the Pink Ladies ) :hug::hug::hug:

MikeHaullace
09-29-2010, 06:31 PM
That's because you guys SUCKED!

Truth! Which is exactly why I didn't play.

SuperSteelers
09-29-2010, 06:34 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers Defense is good, everyone knows the Steelers defense is always good. I think it fits more to this era, Steel Curtain was a big brutal defense, wasn't as finess as today and wasn't complicated.

Blitzkrieg is cool, but I swear another NFL defense in the past had that, I could be wrong though.

I came up with this, I think its silly lol
The Lebeau Overflow

No offense slicer, but "overflow" made me think of a toilet issue.. probably something more fitting for Cleveland. :poop:

steelerdave1969
09-29-2010, 06:36 PM
My idea personally would have to be The Alpha & Omega . . It doesnt matter either way, we are the Best in The Biz right now anyways.

PhantomJB93
09-29-2010, 06:37 PM
I really don't like "Apocablitz" it doesnt roll of the tongue and I just think it sounds cheesey...

I dont mind blitzkrieg, but at the same time I dont mind it just being called the Steelers Defense either lol

lionslicer
09-29-2010, 06:39 PM
No offense slicer, but "overflow" made me think of a toilet issue.. probably something more fitting for Cleveland. :poop:

I said it was silly :P

LukesDad88
09-29-2010, 06:43 PM
I was going to vote for 2010 The Pittsburgh Steelers Defense, because I see no need to name it, but then I saw the Patriot's Suck and Tom Brady is Gay option and I voted for that.

Fire Arians
09-29-2010, 06:50 PM
dirty mike and the boys

whatdoiknow
09-29-2010, 06:57 PM
" The Ketchup KRUNCH " Defense ???? Hey, Ketchup,,,goes with our stadium sponsor :-)

SH-Rock
09-29-2010, 07:19 PM
My idea personally would have to be The Alpha & Omega . . It doesnt matter either way, we are the Best in The Biz right now anyways.

We are Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end

whatdoiknow
09-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Then again, maybe a defense who's pass defense is the WORST the Steelers have had the past 10 + years, maybe we should not be too ****y!

MikeHaullace
09-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Then again, maybe a defense who's pass defense is the WORST the Steelers have had the past 10 + years, maybe we should not be too ****y!

It is only worst in terms of yards.

Now Mr. Stat Monkey... Where do they rank in terms of giving up points? Or pass TDs, for that matter? Still the worst in the last decade?

Yeah. I didn't think so.

whatdoiknow
09-29-2010, 07:37 PM
It is only worst in terms of yards.

Now Mr. Stat Monkey... Where do they rank in terms of giving up points? Or pass TDs, for that matter? Still the worst in the last decade?

Yeah. I didn't think so.

Actually I agree. Bottom line is Pts allowed. However ALOT of Raven fans I have been going back n forth with are pointing that stat out. Saying that Old Charlie Batch won't be facing that weak Tampa secondary with their BEST Safety out. And I tried to tell him that THEY..( Baltimore )..won't be facing a Anemic offensive team like they did in week 1 in the Jets. Or a STILL Struggling Offense in Cincy in week 2, or, well lets face it, a pretty bad overall offense in Cleveland in week 3. And even that Browns game, they still ran over the Ravens, and had a QB starting that is not near as good or experienced as Charlie is.

I know the numbers say 219 Yds a game given up. But, anyone who has seen the Tennessee or even the Tampa game knows that our Late-in-the-game defense just played a LAZY Zone with alot of regulars out, and just LET those teams get alot of " JUNK " Passing yardage. But hey...you CAN'T tell that to a Ravens fan :doh:

lionslicer
09-29-2010, 08:00 PM

Steelers pass defense, even in yardage has not been the worst the last 10 years. If you average it out, its probably around 12th or 13th overall, not many times did the steelers fall to the lower half of the league.

Fun fact, Raiders have had a top 10 passing defense the past 5 straight years but worst 5 rushing defense the same years, except this year, I think its improved to midicore level. And a scoring defense in the bottom 10

I'd still rather have the Steelers defense that gives up passing yards but not touchdowns.

joeyssteelcurtain
09-29-2010, 11:48 PM

I like it

MikeHaullace
09-30-2010, 12:16 AM
" The Black & Blue Wrecking Crew "

That's a good start. Now all we have to do is get the colors right.

" The Gold & Black Smash Attack "

Eh eh eh?

Gay Brady lines up shotgun, five wide at the Steelers 39. 14 seconds to go. Steelers lead by 4. 4th and long. Here's the snap, Oh NO! Gay Brady dropped like a bag of dicks, victim to The Gold & Black Smash Attack! Steelers win! Steelers win!

My work here is done. :tt03:

whatdoiknow
09-30-2010, 12:20 AM
The " Mean & Cold " of the " Black & Gold "!!

MikeHaullace
09-30-2010, 12:34 AM
TNT

Tacklin'
N
Tacklin' some mo'

Wait. Tyrone Carter is gone.

Nevermind.

toughsticks87
09-30-2010, 12:39 AM
Steelers Defense.
Its blue collar and will stand the test of time.

ricardisimo
09-30-2010, 03:28 AM
I should have put "The Swarm" up there as an option. Oh, well...

smokeykurt
09-30-2010, 03:52 AM
"Gay Brady dropped like a bag of dicks"

I just cant stop laughin at that man, lol, thank you.

finesward
09-30-2010, 08:02 AM
smokey check this out... if you thought that was funny this will make you piss yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzbURUrgQao

DoubleYoi
09-30-2010, 09:16 AM
I like "Steel Reign" or "Reigning Steel." Has that militaristic feel to it like "Steel Curtain" and seems proper for the style of our defense. The way we blitz in waves kind of reminds me of a torrential downpour, especially on the play where VY was dumped on his head. Watch that play again and notice the three different waves "reigning" down on the Titans O-Line. Of course, changing "rain" to "reign" is just a play on words that seems fit given it's definition.

LVSteelersfan
09-30-2010, 10:14 AM
I kind of like the PSD Express. They remind me of a freight train rolling through and knocking anything down that gets in their way.

StainlessStill
09-30-2010, 01:20 PM
How about the Steel Curtain? Yes, I like that one, just sayin:applaudit:

SteelKnight
09-30-2010, 08:14 PM
The Steel Cage. Troy is the animal !!!

BigRick
09-30-2010, 11:43 PM
:rofl:rofl:I voted for the Tom Brady is gay defense. The reason being that in 98 I spent almost 8 weeks in Detroit. We were driving home on Fridays and back to D on Sundays. Our route took us around the edge of the Michigan campus. Every time we passed the campus all we could hear was ON YOUR KNEES BRADY!

steelax04
10-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Defense of Mass Destruction

Steeldude
10-01-2010, 11:00 AM
i'll wait until the season ends to see if this defense is deserving of its own nickname

lionslicer
10-01-2010, 12:28 PM
How about the Steel Curtain? Yes, I like that one, just sayin:applaudit:

You can't re-use that man. Plus the origional Steel Curtain was givin to the front 4, not the whole defense.

ricardisimo
10-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Not to mention the play on Iron Curtain... how many kids today would get the reference? How many adults? I would imagine mostly they would think "What's so tough about a curtain?"

lionslicer
10-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Not to mention the play on Iron Curtain... how many kids today would get the reference? How many adults? I would imagine mostly they would think "What's so tough about a curtain?"

Iron Curtain is essentually borders that cut europe into 2 halves. Most famous the Berlin Wall.
I was watching something on the Steelers years ago and they were talking about this.

ricardisimo
10-01-2010, 05:01 PM
I'd give you a sticker, but I'm all out. :hatsoff:

BengalDestroyer
10-01-2010, 05:03 PM
A Steel Era of Domination! (also my user name on espn.com)