PDA

View Full Version : if you weren 't born or raised a steeler fan, how did you become one ??

Steelstoned1972
09-29-2010, 08:40 PM
january 20th 1980 , i would soon be eight years old in less than a month. i knew about football but didnt really follow it until that fateful evening. i was spending the night @ my grandpa 's house. my dad called to shoot the breeze with me. during our conversation, my dad proposed a bet to me. he asked me if i wanted to bet a buck on the superbowl. ( dad and i would always have dollar wagers for bragging rights ) . i accepted the challenge. my dad said he wanted to bet on the rams cause he was a browns fan and hated the steelers. later that night as i listened to my grandfather bark @ the television everytime pittsburgh scored ( gramps was also a big browns fan and indians fan ) , i became hooked a steeler fan for life. after all, the steelers seemed to tick off my dad and grandpa and they just won me a dollar !!! a rivalry was born in my household that day, and i have bled black n gold ever since !!! now if i could only get the nfl to quit playing the browns on tv , i would be all good......it will be the third straight week i have to go to the bar to watch the " steel warriors " go into battle. .......here we go steelers ...here we go !!!! eradicate the ravens !!!! :tt03:

MikeHaullace
09-29-2010, 08:45 PM
january 20th 1980 , i would soon be eight years old in less than a month. i knew about football but didnt really follow it until that fateful evening. i was spending the night @ my grandpa 's house. my dad called to shoot the breeze with me. during our conversation, my dad proposed a bet to me. he asked me if i wanted to bet a buck on the superbowl. ( dad and i would always have dollar wagers for bragging rights ) . i accepted the challenge. my dad said he wanted to bet on the rams cause he was a browns fan and hated the steelers. later that night as i listened to my grandfather bark @ the television everytime pittsburgh scored ( gramps was also a big browns fan and indians fan ) , i became hooked a steeler fan for life. after all, the steelers seemed to tick off my dad and grandpa and they just won me a dollar !!! a rivalry was born in my household that day, and i have bled black n gold ever since !!! now if i could only get the nfl to quit playing the browns on tv , i would be all good......it will be the third straight week i have to go to the bar to watch the " steel warriors " go into battle. .......here we go steelers ...here we go !!!! eradicate the ravens !!!! :tt03:

Cool story, bro. :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing.

Fire Arians
09-29-2010, 08:59 PM
i started playing football when i was 8, and naturally just starting watching. Growing up in hawaii, most ppl here are 49ers or Raiders fans mainly because they're the closest team and unofficially the home team here (mostly the 49ers). One day I was watching an NFL films special and it was on the Steel Curtain, was impressed with the history of the team. Been rooting for them since 1990 :)

MikeHaullace
09-29-2010, 09:04 PM
i started playing football when i was 8, and naturally just starting watching. Growing up in hawaii, most ppl here are 49ers or Raiders fans mainly because they're the closest team and unofficially the home team here (mostly the 49ers). One day I was watching an NFL films special and it was on the Steel Curtain, was impressed with the history of the team. Been rooting for them since 1990 :)

I started up in '90 as well.

I 'liked' the Steelers before, only because I thought they had the best color combination. Gimme a break. I was a kid.

I really started asking my dad questions about the team and the game of football when I was 10. I still remember getting pissed off at Bubby Brister because my dad was pissed off at Bubby Brister.

I do have a picture of myself when I was in diapers, wearing a Bradshaw shirt, kicking a football though.

The kicker of the story? I have lived in TX all my life and my pops is *not* from the 'Burgh.

PhantomJB93
09-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Well, my story is sort of weird. My parents are both from Pittsburgh and my dad is a die hard Steeler fan, but I was born and raised in Detroit. But I didnt really get into sports until I was around 9 or 10, and my family moved back to Pittsburgh when I was 8. So, Ive been a Steeler fan since I started actually caring about football, and I didnt really root for anybody before then, but had I never moved here Im not sure if I would have still wound up a Steelers fan because of my parents or if Id be a Lions fan right now :noidea: (I do root for the Lions as my second favorite team but Steelers come first)

StainlessStill
09-29-2010, 09:10 PM
I pretty much popped out of my moms vagina with a Terrible Towel in hand. Long history of Steelers diehard in my family.

I love reading these threads. Good stuff guys.:tt04:

GMU Steeler
09-29-2010, 09:12 PM
I was born in 1987. Wasn't really much of a football fan in my early years since my dad was more in to basketball and my main sport was baseball. My first real football memory though was Super Bowl XXX when I was 8-8/12 rooting for the Steelers over the Cowboys because I grew up in the DC area and everyone there mostly is a Skins fan and by default a Cowboys hater and this was of course at the height of the Cowboys 90's dynasty teams so I rooted for the Steelers. I started watching football more with my grandfather in the late 90's and my grandfather like all my family was originally from Western Pa. Him and my grandma were actually from Johnstown the same town as Jack Ham and to you history buffs the same town that has flooded a few times. He was a Steelers/Skins fan. I remember him talking about how the Steelers did everything right in football and as an organization. He was particularly proud of how the Rooneys treated their players. I remember loving Jerome Bettis because I liked watching him pound the ball. I could never be a Redskins fan since I hate how Dan Snyder runs his team and besides my other grandmother grew up in the part of Pittsburgh that became Three Rivers Stadium. Not sure who I would go for if I wasn't a Steelers fan. I as I said don't really like the Skins much since they're a team of mercenaries.

Steelstoned1972
09-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks for all the replies folks....that's my first official post topic !!!!! I will say one thing , and its very important oh wait a minute ....ill save that for my second official post topic ;)

Steelstoned1972
09-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Ahhhhhh ....bubby brister ......I referred to him as bloody blister....... he had guts , was a leader .......but he ultimately forced an untimely blunder that usually hurt the steelers worse than a bloody blister......I liked him though , he was a blue collar tough guy qb from terry bradshaws home state......

colescott1
09-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Mean Joe Greene / Coca Cola commerical at the ripe old age of 6. (Born and raised in MD, but that commerical hooked me for life.) I wondered how many Steeler fans were created by the Polamalu remake of it....but then again, it was no where near as good as the original.

stb_steeler
09-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Man you guys are all still wet behind the ears....I can still remember watching SB IX. I was 11 at the time, but i was a die hard fan since i was 7. I can still remember my brother and i fighting everyone else in the house for TV rights to watch the game.:tt02:

MikeHaullace
09-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Man you guys are all still wet behind the ears....I can still remember watching SB IX. I was 11 at the time, but i was a die hard fan since i was 7. I can still remember my brother and i fighting everyone else in the house for TV rights to watch the game.:tt02:

Super Bowl XIV was 6 weeks before I was born.

I waited just short of 26 years (16 as a fan) to feel what it was like for the team I was so passionate about, to finally come out on top. That is my testament to the fact I am not a bandwagon, get on while they're hot fan.

Then again... Once Cowher came along, they were easy to follow because they were Always. In. The. Playoffs. But why?

Because of what I love most about football : A great run-first offense behind a smash-mouth, rip your head off defense.

HERE WE GO, STEELERS! HERE WE GO! :tt03:

Curtain_of_Steel
09-29-2010, 09:40 PM
My mama didn't raise no dang fool, lol

1076, 8 years old, growing tired of hearing my relatives cheer for the Eagles green all my life. Needed to find a team that was local enough, so I thought hell Pittsburgh is just over the Jersey bridge, lol I mean its in Pa and there it is.

stb_steeler
09-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Super Bowl XIV was 6 weeks before I was born.

I waited just short of 26 years (16 as a fan) to feel what it was like for the team I was so passionate about, to finally come out on top. That is my testament to the fact I am not a bandwagon, get on while they're hot fan.

Then again... Once Cowher came along, they were easy to follow because they were Always. In. The. Playoffs. But why?

Because of what I love most about football : A great run-first offense behind a smash-mouth, rip your head off defense.

HERE WE GO, STEELERS! HERE WE GO! :tt03:

easy killer, no one said your a bandwagon fan......:rofl: Try watching the Steelers back in the early days when we havent won anything for the first 40 years. Now that was tuff.

MikeHaullace
09-29-2010, 09:46 PM
easy killer, no one said your a bandwagon fan......:rofl: Try watching the Steelers back in the early days when we havent won anything for the first 40 years. Now that was tuff.

hehe I wasn't accusing you. Just trying to re-enforce which generation of the Steelers Brethren I belong.

Sister Sledge put it best:

"We Are Fam-i-ly!" :drink:

stb_steeler
09-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Ahhhhhh ....bubby brister ......I referred to him as bloody blister....... he had guts , was a leader .......but he ultimately forced an untimely blunder that usually hurt the steelers worse than a bloody blister......I liked him though , he was a blue collar tough guy qb from terry bradshaws home state......

I seen a Bubby vintage shirt on ebay the other day.....CLASSIC :toofunny:

stb_steeler
09-29-2010, 09:52 PM
hehe I wasn't accusing you. Just trying to re-enforce which generation of the Steelers Brethren I belong.

Sister Sledge put it best:

"We Are Fam-i-ly!" :drink:

Know what ya mean, we steeler fans gotta stick together. Especially living among Eaglet fans. :thumbsup:

BlockMonsta
09-29-2010, 11:56 PM

Gotta disagree 49ers are up there along with the Steelers atleast out in north shore area.

Fire Arians
09-29-2010, 11:59 PM
Gotta disagree 49ers are up there along with the Steelers atleast out in north shore area.

well now there are probably more steeler fans in hawaii, but when i first started following them in 1990, i was the only steeler fan I knew until I was a junior in high school. Everyone in the 90's seemed to be either a 49ers, dallas, or raiders fan

i liked the steelers way before it became cool to. I still rock my rod woodson jersey to show I'm old school, that and it was the first football jersey i ever owned haha.

Steelstoned1972
09-30-2010, 12:05 AM
I dunno but there's somethin about this group that when healthy ....that inspires..... Greatness ....

Hobbes
09-30-2010, 12:25 AM
Living in Kansas and just getting interested in football I started rooting for the Chiefs. It was the early 70's I was 8 I did'nt know any better. :noidea:This was before cable and the internet so your ability to even see other teams was limited to 3 mintue highlight shows and b/w pictures in the newspaper! Then came the Christmas Day 1971 Dolphins vs Chiefs. I was crushed, I rooted so hard for them and they lost! The next season I started looking for a new team. I fell in love with the black and gold colors and they where winning! I was 10 by now and could make intellegent choices.. The Steelers would go on to lose in the playoffs to the 17-0 Dolphins but it's not the Dolphins I would continue to hate, it is the Chiefs!. I have many teams I dislike in the NFL: Clowns, Faiders, Cowgirls, Ratbirds, but the Cheifs still top my list!

:tt03::tt04::tt02:
I still have my first piece of Steelers gear. A black and gold wool stocking cap that my mom had to order from the JC Penney catalog. It even has the little ball on top!
:drink:

toughsticks87
09-30-2010, 02:02 AM
I'm from Boston and was a big Pats fan in the Bledsoe/Parcells days. When Brady/Bellicheat came in and started winning, everyone comes out of the woodworks with their Pats gear. Bandwagon fans are really annoying. So I sorta fell out of touch with football until my freshmen year of college in 2005. My roommate, for whatever reason, is a huge Steelers (to this day, he's the only one I know in person). Anyways, its not that I jumped on board right away, but I couldn't help but to root for 'his' team since he was always into it. As a result, I became emotionally attached to their games and was truly loving the way they played. And whaddya' know? They become the first 6 seeded team to win it. Been a die hard fan since.

I'm now a grad student with nothing but Pittsburgh stuff up in my dorm room. A full blanket, jerseys, multiple Steelers footballs, my official Terrible Towel, multiple hats, beanies....everything. I'm also an RA at my school, and always put Steelers stuff up on my bulletin boards/news letters. I don't miss a game and never lose faith. Go Steelers!

One more thing; people tend to call me a bandwagon since I started liking them during the 05-06 season. Rest assured I was still a huge fan last year and the 06-07 season. And one last thing; no one up here in Boston has ANY respect for Steelers and especially Big Ben. You guys may joke about Tom Brady being gay, but I hate that man more than you know. New England fans = mostly bandwagon/complete idiots. The ones that were around when the Pats won like 3 games in a season, I respect those guys (usually over 30 years old.)

Steelers92
09-30-2010, 02:12 AM
I live in Maryland but my parents have always been Steelers fans and I've followed them, I remember getting my first jersey when I was like 9 and it was Levon Kirkland.

Pierogiman
09-30-2010, 04:35 AM
I always tell people I was born in Three Rivers...and that I was the kid in the Mean Joe commercial. I also tell people I met my wife in a strip club when she fell off the pole and I caught her...so basically never believe a word I say!

ricardisimo
09-30-2010, 04:38 AM
My dad worked at US Steel's Lorain works in Ohio for 42 years. All of his work gear had the Steel logo on it, and when I was very young - during the Steelers' 70s heydays - I actually thought my dad was a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Mots
09-30-2010, 05:34 AM
I am from Vienna, Austria (you know, in Europe). I was born in 1981 and the biggest sports here are Soccer (which everybody calls football here and in which Austria just plainly sucks) and skiing (which Austria is pretty good at).

I was always fascinated with Football, but never watched a game until I was 16 I think. When I was about 13, there was a free sports magazine at my school which featured a 2page article about the NFL and its newest running back sensation, Jerome Bettis, who back then of course was with the Rams. I read the article and was hooked, I wanted to play football. So I found a team, played about two and a half years, and when I stopped playing I started following Jerome Bettis' career from papers (no internet back then). By then, Bettis was with the Steelers, so, obviously I started rooting for Pittsburgh :)
However, I hadn't seen a single Steelers game so far and couldn't name any player except Jerome Bettis (I probably didn't even know who Bill Cowher was).

This went on for several years until Ben's rookie season when I found an Irish pub that showed games on Sundays. I then started watching every Sunday and began reading every bit of Steelers information I could find on the Internet. I fell in love with the organisation, with the various players that have come and gone or are still here.

I own Jerome Bettis' biography and Dan Rooney's biography (which nicely describes the Steelers history, I think) and still try to read as many Steelers articles on the web as I can find. I even managed to get some of my friends interested in football in general :)
Also, football has become more popular over here in the last few years and there are now even some TV channels (ESPNAmerica) that show the games.
Europe has come a long way... :)

Pittsburgh43
09-30-2010, 07:40 AM
I was 6 years old when I became a Steelers fan. I can remember watching Super Bowl 30 and crying after. I received a #10 Kordell Stewart jersey as a gift (I was already a Penguins fan) and when I opened it, I exclaimed "Wooo! A Ron Francis jersey! Oh, wait! Wooo! A Kordell Stewart jersey!"
I fell in love with the Pittsburgh Steelers at 6 years old, and my heart's been pumping black & gold blood ever since. I just love everything about this team: the tradition, the city it's in, and the fans. When you're at Heinz Field, it's like being surrounded by 65,000 of your closest family members all huddled around a football field instead of the living room TV.

To the Pittsburgh Steelers: :drink:

Can't wait till Sunday! Beat those Rats!!! :tt03:

tunes4life
09-30-2010, 08:57 AM
okay true story: I'm from NY, was in Hershey PA in 75 for a family vacation. I was 4-5. Went up a 12 foot pool slide at some random hotel. Sat on top of the slide and grabbed the metal handles on the side and started going back and forth to get up speed. I let go at the wrong time and went backwards. Landed on my head 12 feet down on the concrete (no sh*t). Cracked my skull, my nose, my arm, had two black eyes, was really bad. After I got out of the hospital, a doctor told me (because of the skull fracture) that I would have to wear a helmet for a few months until my head completely healed. I had the choice of one of those white crash helmets or a football helmet. I picked a football helmet (of course). The only helmets I could get in Hershey (again, of course) was a Steeler helmet. When I returned to Rochester everyone was asking me questions about the Steelers and I started paying attention to football as a result. Of course the Steelers just happened to be the best team in history when I started watching. I've been a fan ever since.

I swear every word is true.
:helmet:

DoubleYoi
09-30-2010, 09:13 AM
Living in Kansas and just getting interested in football I started rooting for the Chiefs. It was the early 70's I was 8 I did'nt know any better. :noidea:This was before cable and the internet so your ability to even see other teams was limited to 3 mintue highlight shows and b/w pictures in the newspaper! Then came the Christmas Day 1971 Dolphins vs Chiefs. I was crushed, I rooted so hard for them and they lost! The next season I started looking for a new team. I fell in love with the black and gold colors and they where winning! I was 10 by now and could make intellegent choices.. The Steelers would go on to lose in the playoffs to the 17-0 Dolphins but it's not the Dolphins I would continue to hate, it is the Chiefs!. I have many teams I dislike in the NFL: Clowns, Faiders, Cowgirls, Ratbirds, but the Cheifs still top my list!

:tt03::tt04::tt02:
I still have my first piece of Steelers gear. A black and gold wool stocking cap that my mom had to order from the JC Penney catalog. It even has the little ball on top!
:drink:

Let me get this right, you now despise the team you used to like because they lost a playoff game? I love reading these personal stories of how people became Steeler fans but this one kind of made my stomach turn. No offense Hobbes but this story is the worst of the bunch. Maybe I'm a little numb to that kind of story since I've been passionately rooting for the Pirates the last two decades but turning your back on a team and "finding a new one" because of a lost playoff game is pretty weak.

I've been a Steeler fan for life but the Chiefs became a "2nd-favorite" team of mine in the early 90s. I used to root for the Colts and Chiefs just because I loved watching their players but since Peyton came along and the Colts became a perennial powerhouse, I had to kick them to the curb. The Chiefs were fun to watch ever since Derrick Thomas, Joe Montana, Marcus Allen and Kimble Anders were in KC. The '93playoff loss to them ate me alive but wasn't enough for me to start rooting against the Chiefs.

StillSpotz
09-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Born and raised in Houston, but my Dad grew up in Pittsburgh (Upper St. Claire area I think). Was really into baseball and was a huge Pirates fan. I would visit my Grandparents every summer for a couple weeks at a time and they would take me to Three Rivers for a few games. One summer, i was on the same plane as the Pirates, and actually sat with Omar Moreno and Kent Tekulve of all people. Most of the players came by to say hi because I was wearing my Pirates hat and they thought it was cool.

Anyway, once I got into football, there was no other choice but The Stillers. Along with a few Pirates games, my Grandparent would also take me to Latrobe for training camp. Hooked me for life, and it didn't hurt that they were dominating the
70's and beating the crap out of the Oilers. Got beat up a few times in school after crushing the oilers in the playoffs, which just made my passion for them even greater.

Now I'm in Dallas and most of my friends (all Cowboys fans) get sick of how the Steelers always seem to be in the mix. This year especially, with all of the Ben drama, they thought that this was finally the year they could shut me up. Ain't gonna happen.

:tt03:

steelrush
09-30-2010, 10:21 AM
if you weren 't born or raised a steeler fan, how did you become one ??

By faith! :tt02:

LVSteelersfan
09-30-2010, 10:52 AM
I was born and raised in Montana. The only pro sports in that part of the world is rodeo. I became a huge Pittsburgh Pirate fan in the mid to late 1960s when Roberto Clemente and company were playing. They were just so fun to watch. I would say about 1970 or so I became interested in football. The Steelers were intriguing because they were so rough and tough and always a huge underdog. I have always enjoyed rooting for the underdog even in my younger days.There was just something about them that I liked a lot despite the fact they lost all the time. Then all of a sudden they hit those drafts and picked up all of their superstars and the rest is history. The best game I remember as a young kid was watching Franco Harris run the ball into the end zone against the Oakland Raiders in the playoffs with what has since become known as the immaculate reception. I have been hooked for life and am extremely impressed with how the Rooneys build a team through the draft and win with players that everyone else snubbed but play as a team. They try to go after high character guys over flashy, trouble prone players. Steelers for LIFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stb_steeler
09-30-2010, 11:32 AM
I was born and raised in Montana. The only pro sports in that part of the world is rodeo. I became a huge Pittsburgh Pirate fan in the mid to late 1960s when Roberto Clemente and company were playing. They were just so fun to watch. I would say about 1970 or so I became interested in football. The Steelers were intriguing because they were so rough and tough and always a huge underdog. I have always enjoyed rooting for the underdog even in my younger days.There was just something about them that I liked a lot despite the fact they lost all the time. Then all of a sudden they hit those drafts and picked up all of their superstars and the rest is history. The best game I remember as a young kid was watching Franco Harris run the ball into the end zone against the Oakland Raiders in the playoffs with what has since become known as the immaculate reception. I have been hooked for life and am extremely impressed with how the Rooneys build a team through the draft and win with players that everyone else snubbed but play as a team. They try to go after high character guys over flashy, trouble prone players. Steelers for LIFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally someone else on here that remembers the immaculate reception too. I was wondering if i was the only one lol. I remember the Raiders protesting that it was deflected off the defender so it should not have counted. The end of the game seemed what took for ever when they were reviewing that play, but then again replay was inept then.

LVSteelersfan
09-30-2010, 12:23 PM
I get a little bit testy when I am called a bandwagon fan because I have been a fan for over 30 years and started rooting for them before they were ever good. I do not root for anyone else. I lived through the years of Mark Malone, Cliff Stoudt, Bubby Brister, Kordell Stewart and still remained a diehard fan through all of those years. And yes, I remember the Immaculate Reception as if it was yesterday.

SteelersNation
09-30-2010, 12:36 PM
I was a Colts fan as a little boy. But everyday I walked to middleshool I got harassed and beat up by a bunch of Steelers bullies. So I was forced into becoming a Steelers fan... I made my mom start buying me Steelers gear instead of Colts gear. there has been no looking back since.

rthorsn
09-30-2010, 12:53 PM
I am from a small town in southwest Iowa and when I was around 8 or 9 years old I joined the pee wee football team. They didn't know where to put me because I was bigger than most and much heavier. I begged to run the ball ( I wanted to score TD's) like everybody. They gave me my shot one game. I never seemed to get many yards tho. Mostly becuase I would swerve into other players. When asked I said I wanted to hit them hard!! They gave me the nickname "bus". When I asked why they told me about Jerome Bettis. I watched a game and LOVED him. Steeler fan every day since....On a side note..they stopped giving me the ball and made me a linebacker....I enjoyed it more but Bettis is still my fav of all time

Hobbes
10-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Let me get this right, you now despise the team you used to like because they lost a playoff game? I love reading these personal stories of how people became Steeler fans but this one kind of made my stomach turn. No offense Hobbes but this story is the worst of the bunch. Maybe I'm a little numb to that kind of story since I've been passionately rooting for the Pirates the last two decades but turning your back on a team and "finding a new one" because of a lost playoff game is pretty weak.

I've been a Steeler fan for life but the Chiefs became a "2nd-favorite" team of mine in the early 90s. I used to root for the Colts and Chiefs just because I loved watching their players but since Peyton came along and the Colts became a perennial powerhouse, I had to kick them to the curb. The Chiefs were fun to watch ever since Derrick Thomas, Joe Montana, Marcus Allen and Kimble Anders were in KC. The '93playoff loss to them ate me alive but wasn't enough for me to start rooting against the Chiefs.

Who the f@#k are you to judge my story?
I think you missed the point of my story: I WAS 8 YEARS OLD!!
You also missed another point, living in Kansas in the 70's the only coverage we got around here was the Chiefs. Every Sunday it was the Chiefs and the Cowboys game, I got sick of them both! I'm sorry we differ on our love of the Chiefs I will have the last laugh again this season when the Chiefs finish third in the AFC west under .500 have "fun" watching them!

Steel Duck
10-01-2010, 12:03 AM

So let me get this straight.....YOU stopped cheering for the Colts because they became a power house with Manning....and I am guessing you made this decision as an adult...but a CHILD 8 years old can't stop liking the Chiefs because YOU say so? What the hell is your problem?

Steel Duck (Hobbes' wife)

PS I HATE THE PHUKING CHIEFS TOO!:applaudit::thumbsup::tt02:

http://i52.tinypic.com/rvklch.gif

BigRick
10-01-2010, 12:13 AM
:tt02:Finally someone else on here that remembers the immaculate reception too. I was wondering if i was the only one lol. I remember the Raiders protesting that it was deflected off the defender so it should not have counted. The end of the game seemed what took for ever when they were reviewing that play, but then again replay was inept then.

I too remember the Immaculate Reception. I grew up in Missouri and rooted for the Tigers(still do) also rooted for Notre Dame. I became a Steelers fan when they drafted one of my favorite Tigers Andy Russell in 63. Been hooked ever since, really like it when the Steelers draft a Tiger or a Fighting Irish player.

fred
10-01-2010, 05:13 AM
Ditto on the "Immaculate reception"......seeing Franco running with the ball......Steelers football was the best! Hardnose Defense.........Strong running game.........no nonsense..........just play football........most everyone I know here are 49ers, Cowboys, Raiders fans.........but guess what?! Who's got the most trophies?
.............."au-rite!".....................

Acerinox
10-01-2010, 05:44 AM
Born and bred in London, I had some cousins who lived up in Roaring Spring. They used to send me a ton of Steeler stuff when I was little, and had no idea what American football was. Of course I loved the helmet the most, butting folks and running into stuff and whatnot.
UK TV coverage of the sport was practically zero. There was an hour-long highlights show very late on Monday nights and when we finally got a VCR I got to watch that. Every week it was either Cowboys, 49ers or Redskins in the feature game, and all the Steelers I would get would be a 15 second round-up of us getting mashed by the Oilers or some such bunch of buttniks. That made it all the better to follow the Steelers because it made me a REAL fan of a REAL team.
This was in the early 80s and I had no real idea the Steelers had ever been any good.
Of course everyone else in Britain was a Cowboys, 49ers or Redskins fan, it seemed to me, and I felt it was cool and cache to support a minority team that nobody else followed.
Course, ever since, the coverage and support for American football here in the UK has grown, and the team has made me DAMN glad that my cousins lived where they did... As it happens, I'm a much bigger fan than those cousins are, and a couple of years ago I flew over and took them up to the Bengals game at Heinz.
It was a real emotional moment.
:tt04: