PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Fan For How Long?

steelerdave1969
09-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Just a Simple Question for you all . . .
How long you been a Steelers fan and what keeps you being a Steelers fan?

To answer my questions, I have been a Steelers fan for well over 30 years and I love the style that our Team seems to Always play. I have always and will always be a fan of Great Defense and the Steelers and Ravens have that in common and them being the Paper Champs on Defense every year I think it just makes our Rivalry that much stronger. Whether your a Rookie First Year fan of the Black n Gold or a fan longer than me I would like to hear from ya.
:helmet:

StainlessStill
09-30-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm 22 years of age now but grew up in a family full of diehard Steelers fans. We are that family that people instantly connect us to the Steelers haha. Ever since I could remember, everytime we lose, people literally walk up to me and ask me what what wrong like I was the head coach or something and the haters would make a point to get at me first on their list haha.

Me and my buddies were recently at Barnes and Nobles and we were in the Steelers section and he grabbed a history book and asked me some scores of certain games trying to stump me. He just put thebook back on the shelf when I answered them all correct and shook his head lol.

My earliest memory would be in 1994. My dad came home with a busted leg because after a playoff game I think against Cleveland. He saw Kevin Greene in the parking lot and tried to get his autograph for me and my brother. He got caught on Greens truck and he got dragged a bit and completley snapped his leg. True story. I can't tell you the jaw dropping stories my Dad has from the 70's. His first game was the Immaculate Reception when he was 15 and he has the ticket stub to prove it.

When I was in first grade in 1995, we would write a journal to start our morning and remember writing about the Steelers almost every day and how we were going to womp on the Colts in the '95 championship game.

I remember watching that Ernie Mills catch in the AFC Champ game against the Colts on the one yard line, the one were he made a double move on the corner and made a spectacular catch over his shoulder and then dragged his foot in bounds. Catch of the game. My video tape always turns to fuzz every time that part comes on because I wore it out.

My first game I attended was in 1996 when I was in 2nd grade with my dad when we faced Young and Rice's monstrous 49'ers (Peanut Heaven.) We pretty much got killed but I still cheered my heart out and then a revolution began. I never attend a game without my Dad if the opportunity presents itself. We have that bond.

My earliest memory of football would be 1994, so I'd say I've been a diehard fan for 16 years now.

Steelstoned1972
09-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Almost 31 years........I stay a fan because .......there is no other team !!!!

BengalDestroyer
09-30-2010, 06:10 PM
I've been a Steelers fan sine I was six so... seventeen years. What made me fall in love with the Steelers was their defense. Hard hitting football is the only football! Also the color scheme and the logo and how it's the only helmet with one! (not really important reasons, but reasons I had as a six year old)

Later I found out more about their history and the current team/s (from watching every week, haven't missed a game in four years!) and found out that the Steelers (fans included) are a family. Example - Chuck Noll, Joe Greene, and Mark Bruener are all members of the staff in some way. Also all the owners are Rooneys! Also how long the previous two coaches were there. Another example would be Batch's dedication and his understanding of his role with us.(I really hope is a coach or works for the organization somehow after he retires as a player - much love for Batch) and last but not least - Dick Lebuea.

Family, History, Championships, and Hard Hitting Football....

SteelCityMom
09-30-2010, 06:21 PM
I have pictures of me as a baby in Steelers gear and sitting on my Dad's lap reaching for his beer during game time. I guess you could say that's where it all started. :chuckle:

I used to just watch games (even before I really understood what was going on) to spend time with my Dad (was always a tomboy and a Daddies girl, so it was fitting), and it was inevitable that I would fall in love with the team and the sport. I still can't watch a game without thinking about those days. Same with hockey too (though I was quicker to get into the schematics of hockey).

Fire Arians
09-30-2010, 06:55 PM
ever since i got into football in 1990, so that would be 21 years. I wanted to be a linebacker like jack lambert while growing up and played middle linebacker up into the high school days, and always wore #58 haha. good times.

SuperSteelers
09-30-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm 22 years of age now but grew up in a family full of diehard Steelers fans. We are that family that people instantly connect us to the Steelers haha. Ever since I could remember, everytime we lose, people literally walk up to me and ask me what what wrong like I was the head coach or something and the haters would make a point to get at me first on their list haha.

Me and my buddies were recently at Barnes and Nobles and we were in the Steelers section and he grabbed a history book and asked me some scores of certain games trying to stump me. He just put thebook back on the shelf when I answered them all correct and shook his head lol.

My earliest memory would be in 1994. My dad came home with a busted leg because after a playoff game I think against Cleveland. He saw Kevin Greene in the parking lot and tried to get his autograph for me and my brother. He got caught on Greens truck and he got dragged a bit and completley snapped his leg. True story. I can't tell you the jaw dropping stories my Dad has from the 70's. His first game was the Immaculate Reception when he was 15 and he has the ticket stub to prove it.

When I was in first grade in 1995, we would write a journal to start our morning and remember writing about the Steelers almost every day and how we were going to womp on the Colts in the '95 championship game.

I remember watching that Ernie Mills catch in the AFC Champ game against the Colts on the one yard line, the one were he made a double move on the corner and made a spectacular catch over his shoulder and then dragged his foot in bounds. Catch of the game. My video tape always turns to fuzz every time that part comes on because I wore it out.

My first game I attended was in 1996 when I was in 2nd grade with my dad when we faced Young and Rice's monstrous 49'ers (Peanut Heaven.) We pretty much got killed but I still cheered my heart out and then a revolution began. I never attend a game without my Dad if the opportunity presents itself. We have that bond.

My earliest memory of football would be 1994, so I'd say I've been a diehard fan for 16 years now.

Stainless, that's a great story with you and your dad. My son was born in Pittsburgh. On the day he was born, he was wrapped in a terrible towel. He watched his first game at 2 days old, it was us playing the Ravens away in December 2001.. the game when Kordel had over 300 passing yards.

We had to move away for work before he turned 1, and haven't lived in the Burgh since. We are now living in Houston, TX and my son will be turning 9 in December. He is a Steelers fan. As a matter of fact, when people ask him where he's from, he always says Pittsburgh..

He's dealing with a lot of Texans, Saints, and Colts fans at school.. telling him that the Steelers are not the best football team. But we're setting them straight.

So this year, for his 9th birthday I am taking him to Pittsburgh to see the Carolina game live. I want for him to feel what it's like to be amongst 65K fans.. all cheering for the best team of all time. I hope to seal the Steelers deal with him for life!!

California-Steel
09-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Born and raised in Dburgh. Been a fan for over 40 years. Hope to make another 40 years. Here we go Steelers here we go!!

GMU Steeler
09-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Told this already basically but:
I've been a fan for I guess about 14 years now. I'm 23. My dad was never a big football fan when I was growing up. He didn't play football as a kid because I think he had a couple concussions already. My first real football memory is as I've said Super Bowl XXX with the Steelers playing the Cowboys. I rooted for the Steelers because everyone here hated the Cowboys but I began to casually follow the Steelers after that. And it turned out that my mom's dad was a Steelers fan. He loved how they ran the ball heavily and had strong defenses. He also admired how the Rooneys and then coach Cowher ran the team. He was from the Pittsburgh area as were all my grandparents so it's not a real surprise for me that I became a Steelers fan. I still root for the team because they represent men like my grandfather, hard working, blue collar, and tough as hell. My grandfather died a couple weeks before we won the Super Bowl against the Cards. Miss him still since he is the one who got me in to football, boxing, and I am proud to be named after him too. Wish he could be here to enjoy this nice start we've had. This has been tough D at its best and we're seeing the return of the hardnosed running game with Mendenhall and Redman.

ANGST
09-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Since I was old enough to know about football ( 1979 )

and lived in PA at the time.

Busforever
09-30-2010, 07:33 PM
I became a Steeler fan in 1997, the first year I discovered football. I'm french, football has always been hard to watch here (internet was not in every house).
I was 16. I watched a few games on a french channel, Canal+. My first game was Eagles-Packers: I discovered football with Brett Favre, and that was great! When you are french, discover football is like discover the Woman: you don't understand all the rules, but you are fascinated:chuckle:
A few weeks later, I saw the Steelers beat the Broncos. I saw the Bus ride, I saw Kordell Stewart doing some crazy things... and a very tough defense. This team showed me what football was all about, and had a personality: Blue collar, tough play, and some craziness by the time. I liked it! 3 weeks later, Steelers lose against those same Broncos in AFC championship, but my heart never changed. I married twice this year: with football, and with the Steelers.

joeyssteelcurtain
09-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Was born in Pittsburgh moved to Tampa when i was two I am now 28 But being a steeler fan is in my D.N.A . My sons first word was steelers

hammy36
09-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Born and raised in Dodge City, KS....wait, that doesn't make sense you say? Story goes like this...my eldest cousin (who will be 46ish come 10/31/10) liked them as a kid because he liked their uniforms (gotta start somewhere I guess). My brother is 4 years younger than him and kind of looked up to him, thus liked all the same things. Turns out the Steelers then went on to win the four super bowls which kid of solidified their liking. I came around in 1980 (born the day of the Miracle on Ice and a month or so after the Super Bowl win over the Rams) and I grew up wanting to be like my big brother...loving everything he loved, etc. Thus, I've honestly been raised a Steelers fan. Living in the burbs of KC now I've probably told this story 700 times. Same thing goes for me liking Nebraska football (Kansas state alumn and have told that story probably more than 700 times...love me some wildcat football...but, you can't change the heart). Been to Pittsburgh twice for games...saw Three Rivers in its last year and Heinz the next year. Wanting to get back sometime soon.

Spinlcrack
09-30-2010, 08:00 PM
I was born in March of ...ahem...'68, so I would have to say I became a fan, en utero, during the '67 season. I'm sure I heard the yelling. My parents were life long fans. I had no choice. :tt02:

Some of my first memories are Steeler Sundays. I grew up in a great time.

Atlanta Dan
09-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Saw my first game at Forbes Field (yep - they played there) but became a fan when i was old enough to start following the NFL during the Bill Austin "era" in the mid-60s

The Steelers becoming this successful would have been inconceivable back then - it would be as if someone told you the Pirates were going to win 4 World Series in the next 15 years and win several more after that

StainlessStill
09-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Stainless, that's a great story with you and your dad. My son was born in Pittsburgh. On the day he was born, he was wrapped in a terrible towel. He watched his first game at 2 days old, it was us playing the Ravens away in December 2001.. the game when Kordel had over 300 passing yards.

We had to move away for work before he turned 1, and haven't lived in the Burgh since. We are now living in Houston, TX and my son will be turning 9 in December. He is a Steelers fan. As a matter of fact, when people ask him where he's from, he always says Pittsburgh..

He's dealing with a lot of Texans, Saints, and Colts fans at school.. telling him that the Steelers are not the best football team. But we're setting them straight.

So this year, for his 9th birthday I am taking him to Pittsburgh to see the Carolina game live. I want for him to feel what it's like to be amongst 65K fans.. all cheering for the best team of all time. I hope to seal the Steelers deal with him for life!!

That's fantastic. I always said when my kid is born, he OR she, they will be wrapped in a Terrible Towel without a doubt. I'm glad you guys are representing down there, keep up the good work. You two will have a blast together at the game and he will always look up to you in that regard and share a special moment together. That's awesome you're going to be able to provide him the opportunity of taking him to a Steelers game, something he'll prob never forget. +1!:tt04:

Big
09-30-2010, 08:20 PM
33 years now........I'm a fan because I am loyal, even during the latter part of the 80's. I will always be a Steelers fan, unless they move to Cleveland!

stb_steeler
09-30-2010, 08:37 PM
39 years...and looking foward to seeing more of these

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz240/stbsteeler/Six_SuperBowls_WEB__Trophys_104279.jpg

Got to see all 6 SB's and i cant imagine rooting for any other team.
Heres to many more SB's before i have to leave this world!. :drink:

truesteelerfan
10-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Since 1981- went way too long waiting till '95 to see them in the SB; and even longer to win the big one! Growing up in IA, most kids in school were Vikes or Cowboys fans- but after some rough years of the 29 years of being a fan (of my 37 alive) still rooting almost every Sunday for the greatest and most violent team playing the best game ever invented with 150 of my closest friends in St. Paul, MN.

Part of what keeps me watching is the ample fact that I love it every time we not only have the ball (as most teams fans enjoy) but also when our D is on the field- that makes for 60 of the best minutes of every week!

lionslicer
10-01-2010, 04:18 PM
6 or 7 years. That was when I was getting into football. From watching so much football in a short amount of time when I got the NFL network channel, I picked up on things I liked in a team that reflected my personal values. I like teams with big mean defenses who dominates a game, and have a strong running attack and a quarterback who moves around a lot and creates plays. Ironically living in Pittsburgh, Steelers in 2004 pretty much resembled the type of team I had in my head. And Steelers are still pretty much the team I love the most.

BigRick
10-01-2010, 05:00 PM
:tt04:Been a true Steelers fan since 63. Stuck with them through the good and bad and always will. GO STEELERS!

Steelers92
10-01-2010, 05:07 PM
I've been a Steelers fan since about 2002 (when I started watching football), I began liking the Steelers because my dad had always been a die hard Steelers fan.

pancake
10-01-2010, 05:08 PM
For 31 years, My first Super Bowl was the win over the Rams.

My mother still has my Bradshaw and Harris t-shirt jerseys. :hug:

smheart78
10-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Born in '78 , just outside of Pittsburgh, which were great years to be a football fan. I too became a fan before I started understanding the game! I remember sitting with my grandmother and her IC beer yelling in her raspy voice at Mark Malone and Louis Lipps through the mid 80's, and I've been a fan ever since! I'm a little sorry I missed out on the Bradshaw years, but rooting through the years of Malone, Brister, Neil O'Donnel's interception to the Cowboys in the SB, Kordel and the painful, heartbreaking losses in the AFCC games made the 20 year wait (for me) until Super Bowl 40 ...soooo very worth it! I can only imagine the anguish it would have been for a die-hard fan that witnessed the 70's to sit through the pain of the 80's and 90's. There is no other team like the Pittsburgh Steelers!:tt02: (been a fan for 26 years).

steeltheone
10-01-2010, 05:58 PM
First i can remember is 1976 playoff loss to the Raiders...My Dads a Raiders fan.....So 34 years plus

scsteeler
10-01-2010, 07:11 PM

To answer my questions, I have been a Steelers fan for well over 30 years and I love the style that our Team seems to Always play. I have always and will always be a fan of Great Defense and the Steelers and Ravens have that in common and them being the Paper Champs on Defense every year I think it just makes our Rivalry that much stronger. Whether your a Rookie First Year fan of the Black n Gold or a fan longer than me I would like to hear from ya.

I also have been a Fan for over 30+ years and well what more do I have to say They are the Steelers. I have been a fan during the good years and the well not so good years. Most asked why I did not become a Panthers fan when Carolina got a team I said you would have a better chance asking me not to breath for an hour. LOL

steelerdave1969
10-01-2010, 08:39 PM
I once worked at a car wash in western NC and there was a rather richly looking man came through one day driving a Suburban I believe. Cant remember exactly what year, it had to be around the time the Buccaneers beat the Raiders in the Super Fluke Bowl, that I til today think was just a pay off to get Gruden vs his old team the Raiders. The gentleman had a Buccaneers tag on the front of his rig. I politely asked him " I guess your a Buc's fan huh? " and he said yeh man . . look at my tag and Look at this watch " . . He asked me . . are you a fan of the soon to be champs as well? I said no . . I pull for a team that is known for something else other than " Paper Champions " . . If only you could have seen his face . . lol. He asked me who I pulled for " the Panthers? " . .. I said " no, like I said my team is already champions " and I pointed at my then 2002 Ford Ranger which was Black with Steelers Emblems all over it. He said . . . " come on man, how can u pull for a team like that living here in NC? " I told him . .. Its A Tradition In My Family and It Will Be Carried on Til I Die ".

Steelerfreak58
10-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Born in 71 my family is from the Burgh. I have baby pictures with me wrapped in Black and Gold. One of my first memories was watching the Steelers on my fathers lap when they played the Raiders in an AFC Championship game 74? He said, "Son remember today because this is how the game is supposed to be played." I will never forget it.

I live out here in Northern California and I am always approached by other Steeler fans any time of the year and we talk STEELER NATION. I couldn't imagine not being a Steeler fan, this is my favorite time of year even if its always a roller coaster ride!

rich4eagle
10-01-2010, 09:46 PM

I am way older and another Steeler Dave if not yu who runs his own site is well a disgusting human being. Thanks for your post unless you are the other Steeler Dave is the lowest form near human:tt:

Hobbes
10-01-2010, 10:13 PM
38 years!
Durning the last Super Bowl run I worked for a company that had a general manager that I did not care for. He made the comment just before the Super Bowl "I guess it's a good year to be a Steelers fan." I came back with "Every year is a good year to be a Steelers fan!" :tt04::tt02::tt03::tt::drink::hatsoff:

the best
10-01-2010, 11:39 PM
My family didn't do sports.Was alone when it came to teams. Was A KC fan first when they won the superbowl. Then shortly after started liking the steelers. Even though they stunk. I guess I liked the black and gold colors. Been a steeler fans ever since.Around 40 years. All 3 of my kids are die hards. My wife (to be) was a steeler fan. That was a big plus. Never could marry a browns fan.

mesaSteeler
10-02-2010, 12:46 AM
46 years.

I saw my first Steeler game when my grandfather took me to one. I was eight years old at the time.

NYC_Steeler
10-02-2010, 11:53 AM
38 years - since I saw the Immaculate Reception.

theplatypus
10-02-2010, 12:07 PM
35+ years

joeyssteelcurtain
10-02-2010, 02:51 PM
That's fantastic. I always said when my kid is born, he OR she, they will be wrapped in a Terrible Towel without a doubt. I'm glad you guys are representing down there, keep up the good work. You two will have a blast together at the game and he will always look up to you in that regard and share a special moment together. That's awesome you're going to be able to provide him the opportunity of taking him to a Steelers game, something he'll prob never forget. +1!:tt04:

I took my son to his first game last week he is 5 Its was so great nothing like it. He watched the hole game and when the game was over he cryed and said he wants 10 more mins of football