PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu Top 100?

SteelKnight
09-30-2010, 08:09 PM
Even though his career isn't over, I expect Polamalu to be in the NFL Top 100. Several other current players have made it (including Ed Reed).

So will Troy be in it and what is your prediction of how he will rank?

My guess is 39. By the time his career is over, I think he will be top 20.

StainlessStill
09-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Whoever votes on this stuff, you can't disregard the way Polamalu has played in this era of football. He basically revolutionized the way Safety is played and pretty much no other can play the position like him. If those rules apply, then I see Troy top 5-10 easily.

stb_steeler
09-30-2010, 08:21 PM
I wonder if he'll be on the top 100 best players count down.
Im guessing he will be #5 on it.

Atlanta Dan
09-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Troy is great when healthy but he has only been healthy as a starter for full three seasons in 2004, 2005 and 2008 - hard to see Troy ranked ahead of legendary DBs such as Herb Adderley (#64) and Willie Brown (#66)

ZoneBlitzer
09-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Troy is great when healthy but he has only been healthy as a starter for full three seasons in 2004, 2005 and 2008 - hard to see Troy ranked ahead of legendary DBs such as Herb Adderley (#64) and Willie Brown (#66)
Yup. Very true. I was thinking that as I have been following the show. I was wondering where Troy would rank but then thought have we really seen enough of Troy? And sadly the answer is no. If he can stay healthy and string a few seasons together of Troy-like play then he'd crack the top 100 for sure. I'm praying for 43 to stay healthy from here on out. BTW - I've really enjoyed the top 100 program. I'm hoping the mods put up a sticky somewhere to discuss the program.

SteelKnight
09-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Yup. Very true. I was thinking that as I have been following the show. I was wondering where Troy would rank but then thought have we really seen enough of Troy? And sadly the answer is no. If he can stay healthy and string a few seasons together of Troy-like play then he'd crack the top 100 for sure. I'm praying for 43 to stay healthy from here on out. BTW - I've really enjoyed the top 100 program. I'm hoping the mods put up a sticky somewhere to discuss the program.

If Ed Reed can make the list, Troy should make it too.

steelerchad
09-30-2010, 09:48 PM

HMMM....... 04, 05 and 08. Is that a coincidence.
04- AFC Championship game
05- Superbowl Champs
08- Superbowl Champs

I think he's top 100 easy.

SteelKnight
09-30-2010, 10:13 PM
05- Superbowl Champs
08- Superbowl Champs

Well if he is on the list, e will be top 50 since they went through 51 today and still no Troy (to my knowledge...I missed one).

I really don't like those before the Superbowl era. I don't like segregation (for the really old ones) and also there was NFL and AFL. The Superbowl era is a good start for me. Some discrimination was toning down (a little) and at least you had one league. You are more likely to be the best of the best in my opinion.

Through no fault of their own, I see those early players and their records as players with asterisks. I'm really not that impressed just like I'm not that impressed with whoever was the best QB of the Negro League. I like accomplishments when everybody is allowed to play and is valued for their skills on the field only.

Atlanta Dan
09-30-2010, 10:21 PM
05- Superbowl Champs
08- Superbowl Champs

Given all the great players it is a tough list to crack - e.g. - Jack Ham was the greatest OLB of his time and he only made it in at #60 tonight - hard to rank Troy over Ham

It takes greatness and longevity with the only exception on the list so far being Joe Namath, at #100 who had 2 great years in 1967-1968 and little else - of course he played in New York as well as an epic win in SB III

SteelKnight
09-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Given all the great players it is a tough list to crack - e.g. - Jack Ham was the greatest OLB of his time and he only made it in at #60 tonight - hard to rank Troy over Ham

It takes greatness and longevity with the only exception on the list so far being Joe Namath, at #100 who had 2 great years in 1967-1968 and little else - of course he played in New York as well as an epic win in SB III

I still think Troy is coming up.

I think what would help Troy is the Steelers winning 2-3 more Superbowls, maybe a Superbowl MVP, the Steelers D considered instrumental to their greatness of those seasons and him being the leader of the D.

steeltheone
10-01-2010, 11:51 AM
More time in the league will help determine his spot. Top 100 ever...WOW!

lionslicer
10-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Peyton Manning is definatally in the top 3.

Ed Reed was on there, so there isn't any reason Polamalu can't, any many believe he is a better overall player than Reed.
And I can't believe Derrick Brooks was 97. Fans voted him around 66. I say he's even higher. Ray Lewis hasn't been mentioned yet, I wonder how high he is. I know no one likes him on here, but he is one of the greatest, and as Ward says "I wish he'd retire already" lol

lionslicer
10-01-2010, 12:19 PM

This isn't really a list of players who have the best tenure in the NFL. 8 of the retired players onthe list already have had 9 seasons or less in the NFL. A couple have 7 and one even has only 6 seasons.
The players who make the list are players who made the most impact in the NFL while they were there.
Willie Brown played until he was 38, 16 seasons, one of the oldest DB's to ever play. Rod Woodson might have been older in his last start by a couple months.

Atlanta Dan
10-01-2010, 12:27 PM

Ed Reed was on there, so there isn't any reason Polamalu can't, any many believe he is a better overall player than Reed.
And I can't believe Derrick Brooks was 97. Fans voted him around 66. I say he's even higher. Ray Lewis hasn't been mentioned yet, I wonder how high he is. I know no one likes him on here, but he is one of the greatest, and as Ward says "I wish he'd retire already" lol

It is a great subject to debate since every fan has a favorite player they believe was ranked too low, such as your view on Derrick Brooks

Peyton Manning is no lock for the top three - since I assume Jim Brown has to be in the top three (along with Jerry Rice?) and there is room for debate as to whether Peyton is even the greatest QB of his era (some would say Brady is given his 3 rings and lights out 2007 season) or own franchise (Johnny U) let alone of all time (Montana has to be in that discussion), I see Peyton as definite top 10 but not necessarily top 5

With regard to Lewis, he does not appear to be as despised around here as in the past ,perhaps because he has entered into grand old man of the game status or maybe because Steelers fans are less likely to throws rocks at someone for off the field problems given the past two offseasons of #7

Atlanta Dan
10-01-2010, 12:35 PM
This isn't really a list of players who have the best tenure in the NFL. 8 of the retired players onthe list already have had 9 seasons or less in the NFL. A couple have 7 and one even has only 6 seasons.
The players who make the list are players who made the most impact in the NFL while they were there.
Willie Brown played until he was 38, 16 seasons, one of the oldest DB's to ever play. Rod Woodson might have been older in his last start by a couple months.

Longevity is not the only standard but excellence over time is a factor and the greatest players have had more than 3 full seasons as a top flight starter - that is why i question Namath being on the list given that he did not do much after 1968

My bet is the player yet to be named on the ist with the shortest tenure of greatness will be Gale Sayers, who was never the same after he blew out his knee in his fourth year but after the injury still came back to lead the league in rushing his fifth year before another knee injury effectively ended his career

lionslicer
10-01-2010, 12:38 PM
It is a great subject to debate since every fan has a favorite player they believe was ranked too low, such as your view on Derrick Brooks

Peyton Manning is no lock for the top three - since I assume Jim Brown has to be in the top three (along with Jerry Rice?) and there is room for debate as to whether Peyton is even the greatest QB of his era (some would say Brady is given his 3 rings and lights out 2007 season) or own franchise (Johnny U) let alone of all time (Montana has to be in that discussion), I see Peyton as definite top 10 but not necessarily top 5

With regard to Lewis, he does not appear to be as despised around here as in the past ,perhaps because he has entered into grand old man of the game status or maybe because Steelers fans are less likely to throws rocks at someone for off the field problems given the past two offseasons of #7

Out of former top 100 nfl players, Peyton was either top 3 or the best player, but those weren't officially made by the NFL, which has been making this list for about a year, surveying former and current nfl players and coaches.

Fans voted Singletary number 15, I think he was 50 or 60 something in the topp 100. Fans tend to only remember players from 70's to now, NFL is doing players from the begining till now, which is why you'll see a lot of 60's Packers in the official 100 and not the fan one.

lionslicer
10-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Longevity is not the only standard but excellence over time is a factor and the greatest players have had more than 3 full seasons as a top flight starter - that is why i question Namath being on the list given that he did not do much after 1968

My bet is the player yet to be named on the ist with the shortest tenure of greatness will be Gale Sayers, who was never the same after he blew out his knee in his fourth year but after the injury still came back to lead the league in rushing his fifth year before another knee injury effectively ended his career

Kurt Warner would instantly be off the list if excellence over time mattered lol. He had 3 great seasons, 3 above average seasons, and the rest is just terrible. And one of those great seasons is more medicore due to the fact he threw 22 interceptions and his defense had to win games for him. Some people see greatness, but too me its just a couple seasons spanned years apart where he was surrounded by good players that allowed him to excelle.

Troy has 3 full seasons, but 2006 he only missed 3 games, and 2007 he only missed 5, those still qualify for good seasons. 2009 is his only bad year, but the few games he was in, he was a huge difference maker.

Atlanta Dan
10-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Kurt Warner would instantly be off the list if excellence over time mattered lol. He had 3 great seasons, 3 above average seasons, and the rest is just terrible. And one of those great seasons is more medicore due to the fact he threw 22 interceptions and his defense had to win games for him. Some people see greatness, but too me its just a couple seasons spanned years apart where he was surrounded by good players that allowed him to excelle.

Troy has 3 full seasons, but 2006 he only missed 3 games, and 2007 he only missed 5, those still qualify for good seasons. 2009 is his only bad year, but the few games he was in, he was a huge difference maker.

Agree with you on Warner - I think his Super Bowl stats and the fact he had a rebirth in Arizona are what got him on the list

Want to mke it clear i am not dissing Troy - he has played whenever possible (e.g. - hurt his shoulder early in 2006 and was basically playing with one arm until a knee injury took him off the field later that season) - but his realtively small stature and breakneck style make him injury prone - i know I am holding my breath he hods togther thise season

lionslicer
10-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Agree with you on Warner - I think his Super Bowl stats and the fact he had a rebirth in Arizona are what got him on the list

Want to mke it clear i am not dissing Troy - he has played whenever possible (e.g. - hurt his shoulder early in 2006 and was basically playing with one arm until a knee injury took him off the field later that season) - but his realtively small stature and breakneck style make him injury prone - i know I am holding my breath he hods togther thise season

If Walter Payton can survive 10 full seasons in the NFL, I think Troy can too... hopefully

SteelKnight
10-01-2010, 01:26 PM

Peyton Manning will be top 10 but probably not top 3. He is probably the greatest QB of this era (with Brees and Brady close behind) but he only has 1 SB.

I think Rice will be first. I think Montana will be top 5. I think Brady will be top 20. I don't think Brees makes the list. They will pepper the top 10 with people that were "good in their era" to pay hommage to the oldies...boo.

I'm now not sure if Troy will make the list.

In this current list of Top NFL 100 for this season, they have the top 4 as QBs just as I have them ranked:
1. Manning 2. Brees 3. Brady 4. Ben

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/lists/NFL-football-top-100-player-rankings-1-20#sport=NFL&photo=11350087

SteelersinCA
10-01-2010, 04:30 PM

This is the thing that perplexes me about Peyton. When I see him play on Sundays, I think, "this is the greatest QB I've ever seen." However, his postseason accomplishments are lackluster compared to the regular season. I know rings aren't the only thing that matters, but I've never seen a QB like Manning. The guy is a genius. He doesn't have the athletic gifts a lot of QBs have but the dude is money. I think he is clearly the best QB ever and i don't think it's close. If that puts him in the top 3 players ever, I don't know, but I've never seen anyone come close to what Manning can do. It takes a team to win a ring and I think Manning makes everyone on that team much better than they ever would be without him.

Take a look at the players that have left the Colts while Manning was there for supposed greener pastures. The dude is a beast.

BengalDestroyer
10-01-2010, 04:37 PM
SteelKnight said it best - If Ed Reed made the list, Troy should easily make it.