PDA

View Full Version : More Steelers football to look foward to!

zulater
09-30-2010, 10:13 PM
More Steelers football to look foward to! That is if the league goes foward with its plans to increase the schedule to 18 games. Funny thing is I don't know of anyone outside of Goodell's inner circle of suck ups who actually thinks it's a good idea? :noidea:The players seem to hate the idea, the coaches will be forced to make roster decisions with less pre season games to work with. And even the fans, those that i know dislike the idea. Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. I mean right now as it is running backs hardly last 3-4 good years, add on 40-50 more cariies a year and where does that leave them? Anyway I'm anxious to hear the opinions of others, anyone actually looking foward to this?

NYC_Steeler
09-30-2010, 10:20 PM
It's a terrible idea. The players struggle to make it through 16 games without injuries and alot of them barely make. I don't even want to think about another 2 games where they will be beat up and exhausted. Not good.

steelerohio
09-30-2010, 10:31 PM
I voted no... isn't the playoffs enough at the end of the season?

steeltheone
09-30-2010, 10:53 PM
NO I love football, but 16 is enough..

jjpro11
09-30-2010, 10:55 PM
it's funny how hypocritical the NFL is with player safety.. hit a guy too high, too low, too hard, too late and it results in a penalty and fine.. all this crap we keep hearing about head injuries and the head-on collisions players are involved in every game. there was even talk about banning the 3 point stance and the head-down bull-rush move by ball-carriers. yet at the end of the day the NFL has no problem adding 2 more games of violent hitting to the schedule. this above all other things should tell the players the league doesn't give two shits about their safety.. it all comes down to money.

stb_steeler
09-30-2010, 10:57 PM
20 would be nice....what? i want my monies worth.....:rofl:

zulater
09-30-2010, 11:22 PM
It's all about money for Goodell. But I ask this, if games are being blacked out now how is adding games going to help?

Goodell is a short sighted fool.

StainlessStill
09-30-2010, 11:38 PM
Man, I was the only greedy mother f*cker and voted yes, only because I'm a fan. I say every year "Man, this season went too fat it's already week 15!" or just today "We are already going to be a month into this thing? The NFL season is too fast.."

For the players and how everything should be handled within the league's sake including rosters, camps, salary's, depth charts and pre-season and what not, NO!

But for a fan? **** YES. Gimmie more football please.:tt04:

stb_steeler
09-30-2010, 11:42 PM
It's all about money for Goodell. But I ask this, if games are being blacked out now how is adding games going to help?

Goodell is a short sighted fool.

SUNDAY TICKET..........:rofl:
Good question tho......I know more players would get hurt, but maybe give other players a chance to play. 2nd-3rd stringers. I think they trying to come up with ways to help losing teams have a better chance. Who knows!

lionslicer
10-01-2010, 12:28 AM
I think they need to air Canada and Europe football here during the NFL offseason so we have something to watch.. lol. Or atleast some semi-pro teams.

mikegrimey
10-01-2010, 12:39 AM
I think it is perfect at 16 games, with only 6 games against divisonal foes and a nominated division in the AFC and NFC each year. Part of me would love to see more but part of what makes football special is how fast the season goes by, plus, even though the fans hate pre season, the coaches and players could use it.

ricardisimo
10-01-2010, 12:40 AM
More games just redistributes the interest; it just makes each game less meaningful. The owners are going to have to pay through the nose to get the players to agree to this (yet they think the players are already overpaid) which is just going to bankrupt the league. Players' careers are going to be shortened significantly. Teams will be unrecognizable from September to January.

Horrible idea, and yet another reason to fire Goodell.

zulater
10-01-2010, 06:24 AM
I think they need to air Canada and Europe football here during the NFL offseason so we have something to watch.. lol. Or atleast some semi-pro teams.

I would love to see a genuine NFL minor league, a feeder league so to speak, just like they have in baseball and hockey where a 18 year old was eligible to go right from HS to pro football. The whole "student athlete" concept of college football is ridiculous the way it is, half those young men have no business or interest in being in a college classroom, quit the phoniness and give them a real option.

ricardisimo
10-01-2010, 06:33 AM
I loved what the Steelers had to say about it here (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5634427). Reading the article provided me with further proof that the "dumb jocks" are actually quite bright, intellectual giants compared to Goodell and the owners.

Steelers player representative Charlie Batch is adamantly opposed to such an expansion because of the increased chance for injury, but concedes it might happen if the owners offer players considerably more compensation during current labor talks. Steelers safety Troy Polamalu's suggestion: Guarantee all contracts, as baseball owners do.

"Obviously, our contract situation now and how we're not guaranteed is probably the worst in professional sports," said Polamalu, one of the league's top defensive players. "So it wouldn't be a problem if they started guaranteeing contracts."

"If the owners aren't worried about players' health or anything like that, then of course they would guarantee our contracts," said Polamalu, who missed 11 full games and parts of two others with injuries last season. "Adding more games, there's more risk, so I doubt they would do anything like that."

steelcity1974
10-01-2010, 07:18 AM
The regular season and playoffs are perfect they way it is set up now. They should just cut pre-season to 2 games. I HATE injuries...two more regular season games will only add to that. But I'm sure it's all about money and they will do it anyway.

Acerinox
10-01-2010, 07:19 AM
As Steelers fans this doesn't apply to us much these days ... but think about the misery of an 18 game season when your team sucks and you start 2-6. What if you slump to 4-10, 5-9. Chances are that even if you win out, which obviously you won't, you STILL aren't going to make the playoffs. That's a lot of empty seats and meaningless games.
Then throw in a team that goes 13-1. They're in the playoffs, it's a done deal. So that's 4 games for the backups. The end of the season becomes a dumbass lottery with plenty more teams back-dooring the playoffs like the Jets did last year.
Dreadful idea. 16 is a fine number. Anything else is greed.

zulater
10-01-2010, 07:27 AM
16-1 against so far. This on a site made up of mostly hard core football fans. I know this is a small sample of people, but I think it's revealing all the same. when Goodel says he's doing this in reaction to the fans and their interest he's lying through his teeth. The league has done no market survey among their fans that supports the notion that we want an 18 game schedule, so I wish he'd be forced by the sport media to stop making that part of his presentation. The 18 game schedule is entirely self serving and nothing more than a short sighted money grab by Goodell who doesn't have the wherewithal to solve the league's problems in a genuine manner as his predeccesors managed to do.

finesward
10-01-2010, 08:20 AM
As Steelers fans this doesn't apply to us much these days ... but think about the misery of an 18 game season when your team sucks and you start 2-6. What if you slump to 4-10, 5-9. Chances are that even if you win out, which obviously you won't, you STILL aren't going to make the playoffs. That's a lot of empty seats and meaningless games.
Then throw in a team that goes 13-1. They're in the playoffs, it's a done deal. So that's 4 games for the backups. The end of the season becomes a dumbass lottery with plenty more teams back-dooring the playoffs like the Jets did last year.
Dreadful idea. 16 is a fine number. Anything else is greed.

That ^^

finesward
10-01-2010, 08:22 AM
drunk driving? A-OK Drunk debauchery? SUSPENSION!!!!

If Edwards would of been reported on TMZ I bet he'd be suspended a cpl games. Goodell is a hypocrite, greedy, piece of turd

steelerchad
10-01-2010, 08:50 AM
I have to vote yes for this. As a fan who pays full price for 2 meaningless preseason games, which nobody wants to go to. I would much rather get 1 more real home game to go to.

finesward
10-01-2010, 09:59 AM
so you would trade one meaningless preseason game for a less meaningful regular season game? what about at the end of the year if we have 13 wins and the last 2 or 3 games become meaningless or even worse 4-11 and no chance of making the playoffs?

steelerchad
10-01-2010, 10:31 AM
so you would trade one meaningless preseason game for a less meaningful regular season game? what about at the end of the year if we have 13 wins and the last 2 or 3 games become meaningless or even worse 4-11 and no chance of making the playoffs?

The preseason game is definately meaningless. The regular season game could be, but more likely it will be meaningful. 4-11?, well that could happen, but the Steelers haven't been worse than 5-11 in the 40 years I've been alive. And 13-2? Could happen, but the Steelers have been a pretty consistent 10 or 11 win team. That spells more times than not that game #'s 17 and 18 would likley have meaning. Especially game # 17.
Even last year after the 5 game losing streak, the Steelers were playing a meaningful game going into the last game. With the up and down way the NFL goes, it may give a team 2 more weeks to catch up. I think if the Steelers had 2 more weeks of games last season to chase a playoff spot most of us would have been happy and felt good about our chances of making it. We won our last 3. It was just that horrible 5 game losing streak that cost us.

This isn't baseball, where you're lucky to have any division come down to the last weekend of the season with 162 games. Whether there are 16 or 18 games, there will be races to be decided those last 2 weeks. Even if the Steelers have clinched a spot, there will be games with playoff implications and this will make for good TV and ratings in those 2 weeks. And I as a football fan will be watching.

Yea, it's based on greed, but who cares. It's better than watching golf or Nascar on Sundays.

SteelMember
10-01-2010, 10:47 AM
I can't say I'm "hardcore" against it at this point. I mean, if they expand the rosters, add the extra bye week, and keep the games in home stadiums, I think it could be alright. At this point, the biggest issue for me would be the records. Which makes me think... how many Miami people are behind this move? It's just going to be more difficult for a team to get that "perfect season" taken away from those old bastards sitting around with their bottles of Champaign to yet again celebrate something that happened almost 30 years ago. :chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
10-01-2010, 11:19 AM
I have to vote yes for this. As a fan who pays full price for 2 meaningless preseason games, which nobody wants to go to. I would much rather get 1 more real home game to go to.
the thing is, your not going to get that 1 more home game. that game will be sent to another country....:tap:

tunes4life
10-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Does the NFL really need more money?

finesward
10-01-2010, 12:37 PM
The preseason game is definately meaningless. The regular season game could be, but more likely it will be meaningful. 4-11?, well that could happen, but the Steelers haven't been worse than 5-11 in the 40 years I've been alive. And 13-2? Could happen, but the Steelers have been a pretty consistent 10 or 11 win team. That spells more times than not that game #'s 17 and 18 would likley have meaning. Especially game # 17.
Even last year after the 5 game losing streak, the Steelers were playing a meaningful game going into the last game. With the up and down way the NFL goes, it may give a team 2 more weeks to catch up. I think if the Steelers had 2 more weeks of games last season to chase a playoff spot most of us would have been happy and felt good about our chances of making it. We won our last 3. It was just that horrible 5 game losing streak that cost us.

This isn't baseball, where you're lucky to have any division come down to the last weekend of the season with 162 games. Whether there are 16 or 18 games, there will be races to be decided those last 2 weeks. Even if the Steelers have clinched a spot, there will be games with playoff implications and this will make for good TV and ratings in those 2 weeks. And I as a football fan will be watching.

Yea, it's based on greed, but who cares. It's better than watching golf or Nascar on Sundays.

fair enough. I'm more concerned with how the injuries will affect the game. I just don't like that theres more likely to be teams playing with nothing to gain in the last weeks, leaving teams like us who are always on the playoff bubble praying for 2nd stringers to beat teams fighting for a wild card berth. It happened last year, we did our part, yet other teams hung it up early and the gay ass jets made it in and not us.

It would bring about all new challenges to coaching with concerns to resting starters, teams will stray from having over 30 guys like we have now. I just don't see casey hampton playing 18 games effectively. Running backs will be beaten up, not to mention our QB will probably have anywhere from 4-10 sacks more per year. There should be a higher roster limit, more PS spots, etc.. I just think having more players brings down the quality of play.

Baseball imo is the most boring sport to follow. I don't want football to end up like baseball with 15 day DL's or 30 day DL's to keep up with all the injuries.

On the plus side, if the season was 2 weeks longer last year we for sure would of made the playoffs. So who knows... I guess Gaydell has his mind set so we will find out in a couple years.

lionslicer
10-01-2010, 12:48 PM
I would love to see a genuine NFL minor league, a feeder league so to speak, just like they have in baseball and hockey where a 18 year old was eligible to go right from HS to pro football. The whole "student athlete" concept of college football is ridiculous the way it is, half those young men have no business or interest in being in a college classroom, quit the phoniness and give them a real option.

NFL's minor league technically is the NCAA but you can't play in it unless you're in college lol. They do that to promote education. Back in the day just to get on an NFL team you could be drafted or you could go to a tryout. Canadian football and NFL Europe are sponsered by the NFL and free agents often go there to show they can play and usually teams look there first in the offseason.
But I agree that there should be minor league teams like baseball has to give people who probably didn't have a chance to go into the NCAA. Many athletes on semi-pro teams are better than players in the NFL, and some actually go to the NFL, but many aren't givin the chance because there's litterally no publicity on those games or teams.

steelerchad
10-01-2010, 01:24 PM
the thing is, your not going to get that 1 more home game. that game will be sent to another country....:tap:

I think that might happen eventually, but not at first. Even when they do ship that extra home game over seas, I'll at least have 1 less preseason game that I pay $344 for and end up giving the tickets away.

zulater
10-01-2010, 03:29 PM
NFL's minor league technically is the NCAA but you can't play in it unless you're in college lol. They do that to promote education. Back in the day just to get on an NFL team you could be drafted or you could go to a tryout. Canadian football and NFL Europe are sponsered by the NFL and free agents often go there to show they can play and usually teams look there first in the offseason.
But I agree that there should be minor league teams like baseball has to give people who probably didn't have a chance to go into the NCAA. Many athletes on semi-pro teams are better than players in the NFL, and some actually go to the NFL, but many aren't givin the chance because there's litterally no publicity on those games or teams.

I think it could grow the game even more if you had future stars plying their trade in remote towns like Reading and wilmington until they were ready for NFL play. Make it just like baseball, draft them after they graduate hs if they don't sign a college letter of intent. It will clean up the college game, because no young man would be forced into wasting the opportunity for a college education against his will.

As a father nothing pisses me off more than athletes complaining about getting nothing in return for their football skills while in college. Meanwhile many of us are paying 15-20 k per child, per year on college tuition.
:banging:

Anyway bottom line is NCAA hockey and baseball do ok for themselves with a viable minor league system in place competing for young athletes. Why can't football do the same?

lionslicer
10-01-2010, 03:40 PM
I think it could grow the game even more if you had future stars plying their trade in remote towns like Reading and wilmington until they were ready for NFL play. Make it just like baseball, draft them after they graduate hs if they don't sign a college letter of intent. It will clean up the college game, because no young man would be forced into wasting the opportunity for a college education against his will.

As a father nothing pisses me off more than athletes complaining about getting nothing in return for their football skills while in college. Meanwhile many of us are paying 15-20 k per child, per year on college tuition.

Anyway bottom line is NCAA hockey and baseball do ok for themselves with a viable minor league system in place competing for young athletes. Why can't football do the same?

It might be because of the lack of profit from these games. We all know NFL owners are about money and minor league teams could become a money pit. Hockey, basketball and baseball minor league teams are put in states or communities that generally don't have any pro teams, plus people seem to have a general interest in this.
It seems football fans are only interested in big name players and NFL/NCAA and all the stuff that comes with it. Actual semi-pro leagues have a hard time getting people to go to the games. I often see pictures and less people go to these games than middle school football games, especially because these people are grown, parents could care less, friends have jobs. And its hard to market.
But the other minor league teams for sports seem to have a big gathering.

ricardisimo
10-01-2010, 05:58 PM
It might be because of the lack of profit from these games. We all know NFL owners are about money and minor league teams could become a money pit. Hockey, basketball and baseball minor league teams are put in states or communities that generally don't have any pro teams, plus people seem to have a general interest in this.
It seems football fans are only interested in big name players and NFL/NCAA and all the stuff that comes with it. Actual semi-pro leagues have a hard time getting people to go to the games. I often see pictures and less people go to these games than middle school football games, especially because these people are grown, parents could care less, friends have jobs. And its hard to market.
But the other minor league teams for sports seem to have a big gathering.
And unlike baseball, football is a total commitment, physically and economically. No one's going to get into a car wreck once a week every week for five months a year just on the off-chance they might get noticed by one of the majors. You can be a paralegal during the week and still play left field in the minors. Compensating and insuring the minor league players will be beau coup bucks. No way the NFL will part with the seed money required by a real farm system.

How the hell can Goodell claim he's serious about concussions and at the same time force this through?

MasterOfPuppets
10-01-2010, 06:29 PM

the NFL did have a minor league. it was called NFL europe.

zulater
10-01-2010, 06:55 PM
the NFL did have a minor league. it was called NFL europe.

Yeah but don't you think minor league football would do better in smaller American cities than Europe. Particuarly if you put the farms teams relatively close to the parent team. Say you put the Steelers farm team in Erie, and you played the games on Thursday nights, wouldn't you occasionally drive an hour up the pike ( if you lived in Pgh or near it) to see Jonathan Dwyer or Emanuel Sanders play?

steelerdave1969
10-01-2010, 08:58 PM
It's a terrible idea. The players struggle to make it through 16 games without injuries and alot of them barely make. I don't even want to think about another 2 games where they will be beat up and exhausted. Not good.

I agree 100% here NYC . . its just stupid to shorten all the NFL stars that we have learned to love and appreciate.

steelerdave1969
10-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Yeah but don't you think minor league football would do better in smaller American cities than Europe. Particuarly if you put the farms teams relatively close to the parent team. Say you put the Steelers farm team in Erie, and you played the games on Thursday nights, wouldn't you occasionally drive an hour up the pike ( if you lived in Pgh or near it) to see Jonathan Dwyer or Emanuel Sanders play?

I like your points here Zulater. I wouldnt mind it at all, but that would be one more bill the NFL players would have to share money with with the owners and league. . . probably wont happen.

zulater
10-02-2010, 09:26 PM
80% against. Wow that's overwhelming.

zulater
10-03-2010, 06:58 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10276/1092268-66.stm