PDA

View Full Version : Randle El a starter on the depth-chart only

BlitzburghRockCity
04-19-2005, 12:27 AM
Steelers coach Bill Cowher officially named Antwaan Randle El as a starter at wide receiver Monday, mostly because the Steelers have to start somewhere in their attempt to replace Plaxico Burress. But Cowher maintained that he's committing to nothing at the position beyond the anticipation of a spirited battle between Randle El and free-agent acquisition Cedrick Wilson.

"I'm sure (Randle) El will be out there with the first group (initially)," Cowher said. "He just knows the offense better. Him and Cedrick will be out there competing."

Randle El started five games in place of Burress (hamstring) in 2004 and seven overall.

"(Randle El) high-points the ball probably better than anybody we had on the team last year," Cowher said. "He can go up and get a football at its highest point. I don't look at size so much as a person's ability to catch a ball at its highest point, that's the size you play at."

heres the rest.. http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_325526.html

HinesWard4Life8682
04-19-2005, 09:45 PM
i think he'll do good as a starter mainly because of the slot route

one question: What will that do to his punt return status?

CrunchieBus
04-19-2005, 10:27 PM
cowher loves him in the punt return role, he makes special things happen when he's got the ball...but I'd imagine, if he was a full time starter, they probably cut back on those duties alittle. since we have others who can return punts.. including cedric wilson.

but u know cowher, he's not afraid to put starters on ST. ** see I do know some things :D

ironcitychef
04-19-2005, 11:49 PM
I'm guessing the Tayolr/El combo gets replaced with the El/...wait I am going way out on a limb with the El/Wilson/Jones combo on PR's/KR's! Gotta start keeping score on these predictions.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-20-2005, 12:59 AM
Coclough returns kicks too, dont forget him :cool:

clevestinks
04-20-2005, 05:31 AM
Just hope El doesn`t become bitter if he drops on the depth chart. Either by Wilson beating him out, or by a Damn good draft pick.

HinesWard4Life8682
04-20-2005, 09:04 PM
personally, i think it would be best to have wilson/coclough/taylor