PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall Expects Test from Ravens

ricardisimo
10-01-2010, 05:25 AM
No suddenness and glide, oddly enough...

Mendenhall expects test from Ravens
By Mark Kaboly (mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com), TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, October 1, 2010

There are a lot of superlatives being thrown around these days when it comes to describing Rashard Mendenhall's running style.
Like patience — Mendenhall waited for David Johnson and Hines Ward to make key blocks on his 34-yard run against Tampa Bay last week.
Like vision — Mendenhall saw the hole over the right guard in Tennessee and broke off a 20-yard gain.
Like burst — He took off and ran away from Atlanta defenders for a game-winning 50-yard touchdown run in overtime Week 1.
The patience, vision and burst have helped Mendenhall get off to a fast start, rushing for 332 yards and averaging more than five yards per carry through the first three games of the season.
But it's Mendenhall's power running game that's starting to get noticed more and more every day.
"Pittsburgh's been looking for that back since they lost "The Bus" years ago," Baltimore linebacker Ray Lewis, referring to Jerome Bettis. "He's a complete back now, and they're really getting him involved in that package."
The 5-11, 225-pound Mendenhall excelled at being the Steelers' goal-line back a year ago, scoring six of his seven rushing touchdowns from four yards or closer.
Still, Mendenhall has never really been looked at as having power running skills ... until now.
"He proved it last year," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "He made some really good runs, second-effort runs and tough runs."
Last week against the Buccaneers, Mendenhall showed his power skills when he met safety Sean Jones in the hole on a goal-line run for the 3-yard line. Mendenhall slammed into the 6-1, 220-pounder and dragged him into the end zone for a touchdown.
"All you have to do is watch last year's tape," Arians said. "If he is surprising you this year, then you didn't watch him last year. I think that (run against Tampa Bay) proved it."
Out of Mendenhall's nine career rushing touchdowns, every one has been from seven yards or closer, except the game-winner against Atlanta.
"That's just part of my resume," Mendenhall said. "That's what I've been doing in high school and college. Even though, I'll take the long runs all day. Those are the plays that make ESPN, and it feels good to run away from those little guys."
Mendenhall's toughness came into question early on in his career and especially when Lewis put him out for the year with a routine-looking hit during Mendenhall's rookie year.
Mendenhall, who broke his shoulder on the play, will get a chance to show off his running skills this weekend against a Ravens team known for stopping the run.
In seven of the past eight regular-season games, Baltimore's front seven have held the Steelers to less than 100 rushing yards.
Baltimore did allow Cleveland running back Peyton Hillis to gash them for 140 yards last week and are giving up nearly 130 yards on the ground per game for the season.
"They are really good," Arians said. "The last couple weeks, some teams have cracked them a little bit, but they are the best front seven we will see against the run."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_702203.html

bobby jr
10-01-2010, 01:23 PM
He'd better expect a test because he's going to get one. The Ravens always have pretty much stuffed Steelers runners. Fast Willie Parker was Slow Willie Parker against the Ravens, he hardly ever did well against Baltimore.

The Ravens are ready and I expect them to win on Sunday, perhaps even to win big. This is an important game for them and if they beat the Steelers they will be tied but the Ravens will have the tiebreaker edge already.

lionslicer
10-01-2010, 01:45 PM
I saw this episode of sports science, and when Lewis has a good angle, he can create 1000 pounds of force with his tackle. And when a player is running at him full speed like Mendenhall was, that creates around 1600-1800 pounds of force, and with every action there is a reaction, so force on his shoulder was atleast 3200 pounds, not many people could survive that. Ray lewis is normally blocked and forces his way to a tackle, so that much force isn't made. Mendenhall will be running a lot, but I doubt it will be in the middle of that line, especially since the Steelers don't have a fullback other than Redman, who really isn't that great of a run blocker.

SteelMember
10-01-2010, 02:20 PM
I bet he doesn't go texting "what a big game he's going to have" again.

joeyssteelcurtain
10-01-2010, 02:42 PM
I say 145 yards and 2 TDS

whatdoiknow
10-01-2010, 02:46 PM
I saw this episode of sports science, and when Lewis has a good angle, he can create 1000 pounds of force with his tackle. And when a player is running at him full speed like Mendenhall was, that creates around 1600-1800 pounds of force, and with every action there is a reaction, so force on his shoulder was atleast 3200 pounds, not many people could survive that. Ray lewis is normally blocked and forces his way to a tackle, so that much force isn't made. Mendenhall will be running a lot, but I doubt it will be in the middle of that line, especially since the Steelers don't have a fullback other than Redman, who really isn't that great of a run blocker.

That must explain the fact that Ray Lewis was credited with getting his BUTT Pancaked 12 times against Cleveland. 4 times he was straight-up run over by RB Peyton Hills with NO ONE Blocking for him. Face it Ray-Ray is washed-up. He is ALL Hype by the media now. He is NOT someone that any league OC has to prepare for now. Please, remove your nose from Ray=Ray's Butt! :doh:

lionslicer
10-01-2010, 03:12 PM
That must explain the fact that Ray Lewis was credited with getting his BUTT Pancaked 12 times against Cleveland. 4 times he was straight-up run over by RB Peyton Hills with NO ONE Blocking for him. Face it Ray-Ray is washed-up. He is ALL Hype by the media now. He is NOT someone that any league OC has to prepare for now. Please, remove your nose from Ray=Ray's Butt! :doh:

... Most linebackers can create the force Ray Lewis did, thats why you don't see many running backs going face to face against a middle linebacker. Like I said it has to be a good angle and there has to be driving force, if the linebacker is standing there and he isn't creating more force than the running back, the back will own him.
Hillis is 240 and runs about a 4.5? He will create more force than Ray, who might weight 10 more pounds, is much slower, and because Hillis is a power runner, he will get lower than Ray, and if Ray attempts to get that lower, he loses power from his legs. Lewis who physically standing still or moving slowly foward is creating much less force. Using his muscles he is creating very little force if he loses leverage. So from the 700-800 pounds he normally dishes out from his leg muscles alone, is down to like 200-300, and against hillis, just from his weight and speed is creating 1000 pounds of force, him getting low using his muscles adds on a couple hundred more pounds, no linebacker would stand a chance.

And thus physics explains football lol.
When Ray hit Mendy, he had a lot of leverage in his favor, for Mendy, it was like running into something worse than a brick wall. Bigger backs can survive this type of collision because physically their bodies can handle it, strength wise, their froce against the linebackers force is equal to or more so the reaction force is on the linebacker instead of the runner and because they are bigger they create more force.

I'm not really on Ray's side, I didn't think I said anything that made it seem like I loved the guy, I was just stating some facts. You assume a lot and then insult people with not much evidence.

SuperSteelers
10-01-2010, 03:21 PM
He'd better expect a test because he's going to get one. The Ravens always have pretty much stuffed Steelers runners. Fast Willie Parker was Slow Willie Parker against the Ravens, he hardly ever did well against Baltimore.

The Ravens are ready and I expect them to win on Sunday, perhaps even to win big. This is an important game for them and if they beat the Steelers they will be tied but the Ravens will have the tiebreaker edge already.

jr, do you still think Baltimore is going to win the Super Bowl?

pancake
10-01-2010, 04:09 PM
I say 145 yards and 2 TDS

That would be awesome, but I expect half those numbers.

ricardisimo
10-01-2010, 04:51 PM
That would be awesome, but I expect half those numbers.
What he said.