PDA

View Full Version : Legursky may keep Essex on the bench

mesaSteeler
10-01-2010, 06:59 AM
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/09/30/legursky-may-keep-essex-on-the-bench/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29
View From The Press Box

Legursky may keep Essex on the bench
September 30th, 2010

Look for Doug Legursky to get another start at right guard Sunday when the Steelers and Ravens renew their rivalry at Heinz Field.

Essex, who sprained his left ankle two weeks ago against the Titans, did not practice again Thursday. What’s more the Steelers don’t appear to be rushing Essex back from his injury.

That is how much they like Legursky.

“It’s like Casey Hampton said, if he’s 6-4, he’s in the Pro Bowl,” Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said of Legursky. “Everybody says he’s little just because he’s short but he’s 320 (pounds). He has great hand placement and knows how to play the game. He’s just a good football player.”

When asked if Legursky is the kind of player that might seize an opportunity created by an injury, Arians smiled.

“I wouldn’t surprised if he’s in (the starting lineup) for a long time,” Arians said.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was also a bit cryptic Tuesday when asked about Legursky’s play in Tampa Bay.

“I think that’s one of the reasons why Trai is feeling better,” Tomlin said.

Reading between the lines of what both Tomlin and Arians said, it is pretty clear that Essex is going to have to win his starting job back when he is healthy.

Speaking of Arians, he is as forthright at coaches come, which is why he always draws a crowd for his weekly Q&A sessions with reporters.

One question he would not touch Thursday: Ben Roethlisberger’s imminent return.

Roethlisberger’s four-game suspension for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy ends at Sunday’s game. He is expected to be at the Steelers’ practice facility Monday.

“I’ll hold on that (question) until Monday because there’s nothing that’s taking away from the Ravens,” Arians said. “I haven’t even thought about it because of where we are in the week. It’s Thursday of Ravens week. When Monday comes I’ll probably smile.”

Steelerfreak58
10-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Consistency is the key! I hope he does another great job against the Ravens D. If he does Essex is going to have one hell of a fight on getting his job back.

SteelMember
10-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Well, there's the saying that says a guy shouldn't lose his spot because of injury, but it's clear that the coaches thought he did a good enough job to deserve another start.

Essex clearly needs more time to get well, and made this decision a lot easier since he couldn't even practice Thursday. It's funny that he said he was feeling better early in the week. He's obviously feeling the reality that he could possibly lose his job even if he were 100%.

The "Dude" has played well. Essex has had some good games, along with some bad ones. I really can't say I care who eventually ends up starting because it's all suppose to be about the "better" man getting the job, but I think in the back of my mind I will be pulling for the big Legursky 'cause he's kinda the underdog in the story.

Fire Arians
10-01-2010, 10:46 AM
good, essex sucks

MasterOfPuppets
10-01-2010, 11:03 AM
good, essex sucks
http://www.smileys4msn.com/displaysmiley.php?show=4492

pete74
10-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Essex is our weakest link and we actually looked good without him last week so I would be very glad to see him not come back

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Here is where I was hoping that the Steelers let Legursky play RG, moved Essex out to backup at OT like he used to and then kept Foster and Urbik as backup OG's.

I think this is the final season for Essex in B&G. Same too for Colon because of injury and contract. I guess we will probably see a 5th round OG taken in next years draft, but Legursky is a keeper because he can play 2 position and even long snap.

MasterOfPuppets
10-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Here is where I was hoping that the Steelers let Legursky play RG, moved Essex out to backup at OT like he used to and then kept Foster and Urbik as backup OG's.

I think this is the final season for Essex in B&G. Same too for Colon because of injury and contract. I guess we will probably see a 5th round OG taken in next years draft, but Legursky is a keeper because he can play 2 position and even long snap.
agreed .... that was my prediction as well. essex was the top backup tackle for 2 years , so i don't understand why they brought scott from buffalo. the competition for the last roster spot should have been between essex , hills and scott, instead of urbik, essex and foster.

zulater
10-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Trai's a good guy, and I'm happy he's on the team and all, but I like him a helluva lot more coming off the bench as a swingman when needed ( which hopefully will be little if not at all) than as a starter. I really hope Legurskey makes the position his!

pancake
10-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Trai's a good guy, and I'm happy he's on the team and all, but I like him a helluva lot more coming off the bench as a swingman when needed ( which hopefully will be little if not at all) than as a starter. I really hope Legurskey makes the position his!

Nice post zul!

I think Essex is very valuable as a swingman who can play 4 positions.

I would love for Leg to play so well that Steelers keep him in that spot.

fer522
10-02-2010, 09:41 AM
this is only gonna make our Oline better in my opinion

NYC_Steeler
10-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Love Bronco - line is getting better: let's keep it that way.

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-02-2010, 06:12 PM
I think Essex is perfect right where he is at-- as a backup. Great guy, has been on the team for years and always willing and ready to step up, but sometimes, when somebody else is better than you, a decision has to be made.

Essex is a Tackle and has been playing RG for us. Consistently, he has been the weak link on our offensive line (along with Hartwig right next to him). As soon as the Big legursky got his first start, the Oline play improved remarkably. Our Oline was actually dominant last week (of course, it could be because we played Tampa Bay).

The decision is a simple one....