PDA

View Full Version : New labor deal bad for Bengals

Ohio Steeler
03-09-2006, 09:41 PM
CINCINNATI -- Bengals president Mike Brown, one of two NFL owners to vote against the new labor agreement, thinks the deal is bad for his small-market team.

The Bengals and Buffalo Bills were the only teams to oppose the deal approved Wednesday. Buffalo's Ralph Wilson said owners weren't given enough time to understand the deal.

Brown agreed but said Thursday that he voted against it for another reason.

"Economically, this is a very good deal for the players, it's a good deal for the high-revenue clubs, [but] it's a challenging deal for the low-revenue clubs," Brown said. "We didn't feel it was in the best interest of our team financially. That's why I voted against it.

"That is not to say that this is a bad deal for the NFL overall or for the fans," he added.

The agreement will add close to a billion dollars to the players' revenue pool and guarantee labor peace for six years. If the sides had failed to come to an agreement, the 2007 season would have been played without a salary cap, and there was a possibility of a work stoppage in 2008.

Brown wanted to negotiate more.

"I would have preferred at this time no deal," Brown said. "That doesn't mean we wouldn't have continued on. We have a contract for two more years when we made this deal. I would have wanted to bargain for a better deal in the future."

tony hipchest
03-09-2006, 10:02 PM
same ownership group that ran a dump of a franchise for years, got used to not having to pay players, sucked offa revenue sharing, and now that he has a little extra revenue, is upset he has to share it.

well that is the price of winning buddy. dump your players, tank your seasons. get back to being the bungles and shooting for the first pick in the draft, picking sucky players you will NEVER have to worry about giving contract extensions and you wont have anything to whine about.

did he mention anything about kimo v. oelhoffen and his hit on carson?

Ohio Steeler
03-09-2006, 10:10 PM
This is why the Bengals will always be the Bungals

DIESELMAN
03-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Under the new deal, the bottom 17 teams in revenue will not contribute to the pool, which will be funded with the top five teams contributing the most; the second five less; and the third five less than them.
Since the bungals will be in the bottom 17 whats the problem Mr. Brown?

Ohio Steeler
03-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Under the new deal, the bottom 17 teams in revenue will not contribute to the pool, which will be funded with the top five teams contributing the most; the second five less; and the third five less than them.
Since the bungals will be in the bottom 17 whats the problem Mr. Brown?

I issue is he has to do something he is not use to open his check book up and pay these guys who turned that sorry team into a playoff team

tony hipchest
03-09-2006, 10:24 PM
I issue is he has to do something he is not use to open his check book up and pay these guys who turned that sorry team into a playoff team

yep. he probably thought he had it all figured out to stay within the 94.5 salary cap. now that it has been raised he cant just keep it at 94.5. even though he had his players set. if he dont spend up to the 102 mil he will confirm what everyone has accused him of for years.....being a cheapskate. he is gonna have to overpay for players he wouldnt have under the old system just to save face in the eyes of the league.

old habits are hard to break.

BlacknGold Bleeder
03-10-2006, 01:43 AM
Its the Bungles who really cares??

Ohio Steeler
03-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Its the Bungles who really cares??

true that but you have to admit it is fun to make fun of them

SteelerzGirl
03-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Awww... Poor Bengals... I feel so badly for them. :rolleyes:

CantStop85
03-10-2006, 06:19 PM
It's better than the Bills owner who couldn't "understand the deal."

Ambridge
03-10-2006, 07:44 PM
I'm surprised Bill Bidwell the owner of the Arizona Cardinals wasn't complaining as well.
He's another sterling example of how to run a mediocre franchise on a consistant basis.

Suitanim
03-10-2006, 08:36 PM
I think Bidwell has come around...a new stadium will do that...