PDA

View Full Version : Dixon Goes On IR For Rest Of Season

Atlanta Dan
10-02-2010, 02:46 PM
No real surprise here - they needed the roster spot now for McClendon since Hoke will not play tomorrow

Pittsburgh placed quarterback Dennis Dixon on injured reserve with a knee injury, which means the team will go with Roethlisberger, Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich as its three quarterbacks for the remainder of the 2010 season.

The Steelers also signed defensive tackle defensive tackle Steve McLendon on Saturday from the practice squad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5639814

whatdoiknow
10-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Oh Dan! You beat me by 1 MINUTE :-) Still, it sucks for Dennis huh ?

Atlanta Dan
10-02-2010, 02:53 PM

It's a tough break but Dixon had his shot both in preseason and after Leftwich went down but did not capitalize

Based on Batch being able to run the full playbook last Sunday (of course Charlie probably knows the plays better than not only the other QBs but Arians as well) either the coaches did not trust Dixon to run everything or the rumors I have heard that in his third season Dixon has still not mastered all the plays may be true

So much for Florio's preseason theory the long term Steelers plan might be to dump #7 and go with Dixon at QB

xXTheSteelKingsXx
10-02-2010, 02:56 PM
I wonder who we sign to the other PS position. Is Worthington still available?

DanRooney
10-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Should have just cut him.

Dixon is about as bad as Pat White was in the NFL.

joeyssteelcurtain
10-02-2010, 03:21 PM

Yea i think he is done

whatdoiknow
10-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Why does everyone think Dixon is a Bad QB ? I mean he faced tougher defenses then Batch has so far. And Dixon has a way better completion percentage. And averages more yards per attempt then Batch, even after Batch's long TD passes to Wallace. Where it was very obvious that those Batch passes were NOT good passes, but better Wallace catches. I think any and ALL posters who say Dixon is nothing as a QB clearly don't know SQUAT about football. Dixon will be picked up by some team IF not us next season. In fact, Dixon may beready to play in 2 weeks from now cause the word is he is a fast healer. And he might ask for his release from Pittsburgh so he can try to sign with another NFL team this season so he can get an opportunity to play.

But Dixon's numbers are alot better than Charlie's in alot of areas. And if Dixon would have had the chance to play Tampa's crummy secondary, he to could have had 3 or more TD passes.

Fire Haley
10-02-2010, 04:53 PM
He did his job - getting us two wins.

Take the rest of the year off.

LVSteelersfan
10-02-2010, 04:58 PM
I didn't figure they would release him. IR is the only thing that makes sense. We had to get rid of at least one QB of the 4 and a lot of years we have only carried 2 QBs. So if we need some depth, who knows. Charlie could still get cut later in the year. Or Lefty.

wootawnee
10-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Its not that He does not have talent.......

He's just brittle............Done.....

Atlanta Dan
10-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Why does everyone think Dixon is a Bad QB ?

Here are some questions in response to your inquiry as to why some of us breathed a sigh of relief when Dixon was no longer the starter

Why do you think the coaching staff did not trust him to run the full playbook in not only the Ravens game last November but this season?

How many INTs were dropped by Atlanta?

Why would a third year player need to have the playbook cut way back (that is not my opinion - that is a quote from Hines Ward)

How would you describe his play against the Denver D (his only preseason work against a first team D in preseason) in the second quarter of the third preseason game without using the word bad or something similar?

It is too bad Dixon was injured. He is in my opinion more accurately described as a mediocre rater than bad QB, but Dixon showed very little in the games he started this season regardless of whether that is the fault of Dixon or the plays the coaches allowed him to run

whatdoiknow
10-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Dan, they did not cutback the play book this year. That is an outright lie. In fact, I can site a stroy where Arians even says as much. Maybe they had only selected plays in the Ravens game last season. But hey, those also cut the play book in half all of Roethlisberger's first season. Bottom line is that Dixon is well aware of our COMPLETE play book, and had it available this year. As for Picks, Batch had 2 in Tampa, and another 2 that SHOULD have been easy Interceptions, but Instead were two LUCKY as Hell TD passes....or did you NOT watch either of the two passes to Wallace ? I mean can you even laughably say that those were not horrible throws ? So please don't go there with the " Shoulda/Coulda card. Cause Batch has even MORE passes that should have been picked than Dixon!

Set-Man
10-02-2010, 06:02 PM
I said it once before and I will say it again even though it pains me. Arians was right in his comment that Dixon would break like a stick when out of the pocket. On that play he just fell on his knee and I know freak injuries happen, but he does seem very brittle.

Now Dixon's strength comes from his scrambling ability. If he can't do that then he is only a backup. He does have an arm but his consistency is not there at this point in his career. He seemed lost out there for a lot of plays.

This is where other teams like the Patriot's are better than us. They will trade players to get value out of them. Now I am not saying that we should trade him but if he is not in the Steelers long term plans he should be traded. We would get some value for him, although with injury probably less so. If he was okay with being a backup I would keep him (with the right price).

Just my thoughts.

steelerchad
10-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Dan, they did not cutback the play book this year. That is an outright lie. In fact, I can site a stroy where Arians even says as much. Maybe they had only selected plays in the Ravens game last season. But hey, those also cut the play book in half all of Roethlisberger's first season. Bottom line is that Dixon is well aware of our COMPLETE play book, and had it available this year. As for Picks, Batch had 2 in Tampa, and another 2 that SHOULD have been easy Interceptions, but Instead were two LUCKY as Hell TD passes....or did you NOT watch either of the two passes to Wallace ? I mean can you even laughably say that those were not horrible throws ? So please don't go there with the " Shoulda/Coulda card. Cause Batch has even MORE passes that should have been picked than Dixon!

I said the same thing about Batch. He was lucky to not have 2 more picks in that game. But Charlie making bad throws doesn't make Dixon better. IMO he did not play well at all when called upon this season. I'm pretty sure he could never be an every down NFL QB in this league. Maybe a gadget guy a team carries as it's 3rd qb to groom.

SteelKnight
10-02-2010, 06:16 PM
I wonder who we sign to the other PS position. Is Worthington still available?

Nobody because right after the game we send mcLendon right back to the PS and sign...BIG BEN.

Why would a third year player need to have the playbook cut way back (that is not my opinion - that is a quote from Hines Ward)

I think his development was stunted from being a 3rd string QB for so long. The 3rd string QB often does not get to master the playbook or work with the twos. They spend a lot of time being the QB for the scout team. If Dixon had been the number 2 guy the whole time and got to occasionally run with the ones and spend some time with the twos and was not distracted learing other teams offenses, he would be further developed.

He needs to play, make mistakes and grow. Pittsburgh is not the right place for him. Hopefully we can trade him around draft time.

On a separate note, the steelers should have managed their roster better. If every time one D lineman gets injured for a short time, even a back up, they have to release someone and go to their PS, they are doing something wrong.

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-02-2010, 07:05 PM
I think his development was stunted from being a 3rd string QB for so long. The 3rd string QB often does not get to master the playbook or work with the twos. They spend a lot of time being the QB for the scout team. If Dixon had been the number 2 guy the whole time and got to occasionally run with the ones and spend some time with the twos and was not distracted learing other teams offenses, he would be further developed.

Or...if he had performed even halfway up to snuff, maybe he wouldn't have been the 3rd string QB, and he would have gotten some time to work with the veterans and ones....

You are just making excuses. Dixon had a whole offseason to work with the ones and twos, and a whole preseason to work with, and he DID NOT DELIVER. He has had three seasons now to make a good case for himself in training camp, and he has been unable to crack the 2nd string or starting QB positions at all.

In short, he just isn't very good. He was a big fish in a small pond-- superstars in college ball don't always translate into stars in the NFL, and Dixon is a perfect example.

pete74
10-02-2010, 07:07 PM
If batch and leftwich stick with the team another year Dixon will be cut. A 3rd year player should be playing slot better and most certainly should be able to digest an entire playbook. I don't see him ever being anything better then a 3rd stringer

whatdoiknow
10-02-2010, 07:16 PM
If batch and leftwich stick with the team another year Dixon will be cut. A 3rd year player should be playing slot better and most certainly should be able to digest an entire playbook. I don't see him ever being anything better then a 3rd stringer

Really ? So what you are saying VERBATIM is that the steelers SHOULD have outright " Cut " Terry Bradshaw way back when....right ?

Atlanta Dan
10-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Really ? So what you are saying VERBATIM is that the steelers SHOULD have outright " Cut " Terry Bradshaw way back when....right ?

Still having trouble with your caps lock key I see

theplatypus
10-02-2010, 07:36 PM

How did you get from the Steelers personnel of 2010 to the 1970's?

whatdoiknow
10-02-2010, 07:51 PM
How did you get from the Steelers personnel of 2010 to the 1970's?

Cause he said Dixon should be Cut cause after 3 years he didn't know the play book, and he sucked. Well Bradshaw also didn't know any of the play book even after his 4th season. He constantly miscalled plays, and threw Interception after Interception, and was finally benched for a totally worthless QB. But in time Terry Improved and learned. Why can't Dixon ?

Get it now son ?

theplatypus
10-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Get it now son ?

Son?

Good lord you're a tool.

zulater
10-02-2010, 09:19 PM

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=58445

Actually I beat everyone on this by about 5 days. :wink02:

pancake
10-02-2010, 10:51 PM
I feel bad for Dixon, but he had a chance to show his value and didn't step up.

SteelKnight
10-02-2010, 11:14 PM
I feel bad for Dixon, but he had a chance to show his value and didn't step up.

He sure did have his chance. I think he would be goon on Buffalo, Carolina or sitting a couple of years behind McNabb on Washington. Ben's too young for him to be on our team.

SteelKnight
10-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Or...if he had performed even halfway up to snuff, maybe he wouldn't have been the 3rd string QB, and he would have gotten some time to work with the veterans and ones....

You are just making excuses. Dixon had a whole offseason to work with the ones and twos, and a whole preseason to work with, and he DID NOT DELIVER. He has had three seasons now to make a good case for himself in training camp, and he has been unable to crack the 2nd string or starting QB positions at all.

In short, he just isn't very good. He was a big fish in a small pond-- superstars in college ball don't always translate into stars in the NFL, and Dixon is a perfect example.

I agree he had his chance. I am not just trying to make excuses for him. The question was asked why he wasn't a master of the playbook as a third year.

I believe he needs hands on experience so he will need a developmental year on a bad team to learn and make mistakes. i believe after that, he could get better...maybe not...who knows.

lionslicer
10-02-2010, 11:47 PM
I don't think Dixon is done with his career, though he is injury prone, you know some owner out there for some desperate team will force them to sign him. Cough cough Raiders.
He'll be a backup for the rest of his career, any player who can start at somepoint and not actually screw it up will go somewhere desperate.

ZoneBlitzer
10-03-2010, 12:09 AM

Yup. Agree. He was a frail, dainty pony amongst a herd of Clydesdales.

DanRooney
10-03-2010, 02:06 AM
Cause he said Dixon should be Cut cause after 3 years he didn't know the play book, and he sucked. Well Bradshaw also didn't know any of the play book even after his 4th season. He constantly miscalled plays, and threw Interception after Interception, and was finally benched for a totally worthless QB. But in time Terry Improved and learned. Why can't Dixon ?

Get it now son ?

Comparing 70's football to 2010 football is pretty stupid.

MikeHaullace
10-03-2010, 04:43 AM
Last year, a co-worker of mine was all 'That Dixon kid needs to get him some playing time.' I had to drop him with a "do you watch football?" and quickly expressed my concern for his stature against that of NFL defenders. He has always looked frail in the lower body. I always pictured his season-ending injury to be a gruesome break. Glad that didn't happen.

Nonetheless, I hoped he was going to succeed. I'm not surprised he was mediocre when he played, and injured early in the season.

I've snapped back to reality after having flashbacks of Kordell Stewart and can now only hope the Dennis Dixon project has come to an end.

Good luck in your career, DD.

pete74
10-03-2010, 09:15 AM

nope, just saying that in my professional opinion Dixon will never be anything better then a 3rd string QB. it obvious yhou think he can be a probowler but i have seen enough in my life to know that a QB who plays like that in his 3rd season and still cant absorb an entire playbook will never be great.

pete74
10-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Son?

Good lord you're a tool.

i have to agree. he cant be more then 15 or 16 years old